The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Osama a golfer?

+6
graeme
Mercurio
LondonJonnyO
Noshankingtonite
navyblueshorts
McLaren
10 posters

Go down

Was Osama a golfer? Empty Was Osama a golfer?

Post by McLaren Mon 02 May 2011, 2:31 pm

http://www.jahojalal.com/2009/12/abbottabad-golf-club-and-kites.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rj-eskow/bin-ladens-cave-a-golf-co_b_856139.html

It looks like he may have chosen the location so he could continue to play the great game.

You can see it on Google maps.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=Abbottabad+golf+club&ie=UTF8&hq=Abbottabad+golf+club&hnear=&radius=15000&ll=34.153526,73.227117&spn=0.009234,0.021136&t=h&z=16

He was known to have a thing for bunkers.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Was Osama a golfer? Empty Re: Was Osama a golfer?

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 02 May 2011, 3:00 pm

McLaren wrote:...He was known to have a thing for bunkers.

Ha, very good thumbsup
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 02 May 2011, 3:06 pm

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Chinar+Road,+Abbott%C4%81bad,+Pakistan+(Abbottabad+Golf+Club)&daddr=34.187717,+73.242626&geocode=FfkoCQIdIF1dBCE1YjnOYioMHA%3BFcWpCQIdAphdBA&hl=en&mra=pd&sll=33.867628,73.232829&sspn=1.185874,2.705383&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

I mere 11 minute drive and he was on the first tee.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Mon 02 May 2011, 10:22 pm

Mac - if that was the case, I blame his caddy. Aren't they supposed to use their foresight to see trouble ahead? :run1:
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 02 May 2011, 11:30 pm

Mac. Is the death of this terrorist something to joke about? He was directly responsible for thousands of deaths. Most of them innocents. Some of them people i knew. And i assume a fair few others knew people who fell due to this guy and his actions. I'm often accused of a lack of tact. And thats fair. But this... Even i draw the line somewhere.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Tue 03 May 2011, 12:31 am

LJ - you can't expect people not to joke about things because there's an off-chance someone may have been affected by the subject.

I experienced someone unknowingly joking about something that had not long before affected me - my response: I did/said nothing as I knew offence wasn't intended as they didn't know.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 03 May 2011, 9:07 am

LJ

If it was a joke about the ill effects he has caused to many then maybe I see your point. This is just a joke in general about his proximity to a golf course. In no way does this reflect any inappropriate feelings to those touched by terrorist activities.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by graeme Tue 03 May 2011, 10:16 am

i wintnessed the rare "Hitler" the other week, ie out of one bunker, straight into the next. he wisnae happy...

lj, jokes about the victim(s) are out of order, jokes about the individual reduce them to the level of respect that they deserve. and this wasn't even on that level. i suspect that you are being a little over-precious for the sake of it.

graeme

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 03 May 2011, 10:18 am

Oooh - Hitler mention! Godwin's Law strikes again (google it)

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Tue 03 May 2011, 10:34 am

Too late. I mentioned Hitler yesterday on the Osama thread. His death was announced on May 1st 1945.

East my dust. I'm the proof of Godwins law!

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 03 May 2011, 12:08 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:...Is the death of this terrorist something to joke about?...

Frankly, I'd say Usama bin Whackjob's (right about now, he's hopefully being told by some pointy-headed Beelzebub that he made a big mistake) fair game. There's a long way between this sort of thing and making jokes at the expense of the victims/relatives/friends etc.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 03 May 2011, 12:28 pm

LJ

I can understand tour point better than most as a former serving soldier who did tours of iraq and afghanistan on more than 1 occasion as a direct result of osama bin bags boys antics at 9/11 and July 7th. But I see nothing wrong with making light of his departure from this world, frankly he has had it a long time coming. I lost many friends in the war on terror many I was there at time of their deaths but those guys would've been amongst the first to crack a joke about his demise and its in the lighthearted way of this that we can remember people for who they were, fun to be with and friends, rather than dwelling on what bin bag and his cronies did to take them from us.

Joking about this guy is no different to the jokes about Hitler and Sadam that are banded about they are light hearted and meant in no way to the detriment of the fallen if anything it shows that we as a nation are above his antics by making light of them and does not mean we diminish the memories of those lost to the atrocities

I find it best summed up by a great lifelong friend of mine who lost a limb to an IED in Afghan. "Osama deserves a posthumous achievement award for being the international hide and seem champion for the past decade"

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 03 May 2011, 1:10 pm

The thing it was a joke on the location he chose to hide out and that he could get away with it for so long. He basically evaded authorities for ten years or more and spent 6 of those years in a luxury villa near a golf course.

This is not of course criticism of those on the ground, like Mav, looking for him but really a major error by those at the top of both the US intelligence agencies and even more so the Pakistani equivalent.

He was probably shooting a quick nine at dusk (golfing not people) while the US searched the caves of northern Pakistan.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 03 May 2011, 6:10 pm

Mac, look at the map again: "Missile Chawk" is just down the road... Wonder they didn't get him before? Guess that Obama and Bush played with him just up until he became too good. Then they "holed him out" (as Bush would have said it).

LJ, you're far too sensitive. Don't read the thread if you suspect they aren't political correct.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue 03 May 2011, 8:29 pm

Political correctness and LJ in the same breath? Surely not

Given his opinions on the Japanese and chavvy kids playing on main roads, I don't think PC is his strength

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 03 May 2011, 9:08 pm

This is true davie. Performing a slight wind up and obtaining a mac apology is though!

LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down