The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rafael Nadelightful

+2
socal1976
yloponom68
6 posters

Go down

Rafael Nadelightful Empty Rafael Nadelightful

Post by yloponom68 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 7:31 am

Come what may in tomorrow's final, it's fantastic to see Nadal playing the kind of tennis he is, in only his 1st hard court tournament in just under a year, and 4th tournament since early February! To have beaten Gulbis in that tight match, being pushed as he was, then World No 2, defending champion and "living legend," Roger Federer, is an amazing accomplishment indeed. Today's match was also a tight one with Berdych but in the "big moments" again, he showed his caliber.

He has shown the quality of player he is, yet again, and the drive, determination and talent that took him to World No 1, and to 11 Major singles titles (not to mention his 2 IW singles, and doubles titles!) is once again, not only apparent, but rampant in his play.

JMDP was also a revelation today in his win over Djokovic - at 0-3 in the final set, the vast and ovewhelming majority of people would have written him off. He, however, HAS the belief, which at this level of the game is huge. Boris Becker said that it's not about forehands, backhands, etc., that separate the champions in "big" matches, but the state of mind. Belief being a massive component of that.

What a treat is in store tomorrow, to see two players, who are obviously so full of that belief, talent and determination. As devoted a fan of Nadal as I am, I will have an equally wide and genuine smile should JMDP pull off the victory. I am rejoicing in these two players finding the level of play that they have shown this week. And it bodes very, very well for the state of the game, and the "possibilities" for the remaining big tournaments for 2013. Let's hope that both acquit themselves to this high standard again tomorrow.

All the nay-sayers commenting on recent threads about Nadal getting his ranking back up to 4th, and thereby avoiding quarterfinals vs Federer, Djokovic and Murray - well...he may well achieve that in the next 24hours. Regardless of tomorrow's outcome though, he has shown that he is playing "top 4 tennis," already.

Congrats to both players and best of luck to them in tomorrow's match! Big things on the line for both - either the 1st Argentinian to win the title, or a record breaking 22nd TMS career title. ALL GOOD, come what may.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Rafael Nadelightful Empty Re: Rafael Nadelightful

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 7:49 am

As a neutral in regards to Nadal I never doubted the results we would see today and I am happy for it. Nadal adds a lot to the game of tennis and so is Juan Del Po. Good thread ylopnom.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:10 am

As another neutral (actually I'm maybe a bit less than neutral - for some reason I find him hard to root for), it's nevertheless great to have him back. The tour is much richer for having him around.

I think this tournament has panned out perfectly for him. His level is higher than many (including seemingly himself!) expected. Yes, he's not quite at his very best but, with exception of Del Potro, I don't think any of the big players have been.

I'm finding the final a tough one to call. Rafa is the favourite but not strongly so. 55/45 I'd say.

Either outcome is a great story. Rafa winning after 7 months out or JMDP beating Andy, Novak and Rafa in sequence for his first Masters.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:18 am

clap Great comments ylopnom.. I am a Rafa fan but I too like JMDP both his game and he as a person.. a gentle giant. and today should be a great final.
They have a good relationship off court and Im sure they will be most respectful of each other on. Both having much to prove. Rafa has had a hill to climb and though he isn´t quite at his peak he doubtless will give 110%
I would love him to win but equally if he has to lose none better than to JMDP

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by User 774433 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:20 am

Great article clap

User 774433

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:25 am

At times Delpo's will to win was staggering yesterday...who would have thought he would win that set 6-4 from being 0-3 down? How many other guys would have folded then? What sets all the very best apart is that innate will to win...with that showing Delpo went hugely up in my estimations and Rafa has got one helluva fight on his hands today given he's still not match tight on HCs also. But then we know Rafa's will to win isn't exactly timid either...it's the classic irresistible force meeting the immovable object today. These meetings are what tennis is about. Petchey said it best when he shouted out "...can there be a better sport than tennis?" ... Or "...tennis athletes are probably the most skilled on the planet due to the range of abilities they need to bring together". Couldn't agree more, modern tennis is the ultimate test of a players complete range of mental, physical and will to win skills wrapped up in a sport that has a unique scoring system that means you can be on the edge of your seat 3-4-5 hours into a match. Can't wait until later...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 6:37 pm

lydian wrote:At times Delpo's will to win was staggering yesterday...who would have thought he would win that set 6-4 from being 0-3 down? How many other guys would have folded then? What sets all the very best apart is that innate will to win...with that showing Delpo went hugely up in my estimations and Rafa has got one helluva fight on his hands today given he's still not match tight on HCs also. But then we know Rafa's will to win isn't exactly timid either...it's the classic irresistible force meeting the immovable object today. These meetings are what tennis is about. Petchey said it best when he shouted out "...can there be a better sport than tennis?" ... Or "...tennis athletes are probably the most skilled on the planet due to the range of abilities they need to bring together". Couldn't agree more, modern tennis is the ultimate test of a players complete range of mental, physical and will to win skills wrapped up in a sport that has a unique scoring system that means you can be on the edge of your seat 3-4-5 hours into a match. Can't wait until later...

Great win and wholeheartedly agree, I am sad my guy lost a match he could of won but not said that he lost to such a worthy adversary. And this matchup with Nadal is going to be very interesting and if Del Po wins he can establish a strong statement and resume building win.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:32 pm

Thanks for addition peeps! I seldom comment anymore, and expected some rapacious negative comment, so very positive to see the above. Appreciated. 30 minutes to go unless Wozza pulls the "rabbit out of the hat," but I think Sharapova has it done!

Funny though, because I had no expectations whatsoever and felt Federer would come through quite strongly, 6-3, 6-4 perhaps. Had no nerves watching that match - THEN, it's been nervewracking (sp?) for me, watching through Berdych, and now the final. Just want them both to have a great match, but hopefully not a 17-15 3rd set TB, I couldn't bear that! LOL!

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Sun 17 Mar 2013, 8:51 pm

Don't think Delpo has enough in the tank for a long 3rd set. He surely has to do it in straights...and Nadal is the master at moving people around.

Socal, what's the deal with Novak's elbow strapping? Rumour has it he changed racquet at the start of the year and now tennis elbow...he needs to be careful not to turn it into a chronic condition.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 11:52 pm

Well I don't know more about than you Lydian or anyone else but he is very careful so lets hope he is taking care of himself. I will definetly let you know if I find out anything in reading up on him. But it is concerning with the biggest part of the year coming.

Congrats Rafa what a champion coming from a set and a break down. He is such a fighter and such a rare talent.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down