The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your Round up of each countries 6 Nations.

3 posters

Go down

Your Round up of each countries 6 Nations. Empty Your Round up of each countries 6 Nations.

Post by Shifty Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:13 am

Wales:
Lost 8 games on the bounce and I don't think any sane person would of thought Wales would be champions after the first game. After 42 minutes the score was Wales 3- 30 Ireland, yet I guess the old saying "It's not where you start, it's where you finish is important". Wales won the championship and Ireland the wooden spoon. Yet after dogging out wins in bad weather against France, Scotland and Italy away from home, we have flattened the English.

Wales can be proud of being champions and they way they have fought back, but we're really ruing that loss to Ireland who have had a shocking season. France have been shocking themselves so it could be said we've really blown a grand slam this season. Because winning in France is such a hard thing to do.

Wales have a huge team and are massively experienced, sadly they are a little slow and can be beaten regularly by the quicker southern hemisphere teams, yet put them in cold conditions, in high pressure, slow, error ridden 6 Nations games and they thrive. Recent years has seen them have a horrific record against non European teams and always seem to be coming into the 6 Nations on an awful run of results, which means they are always under the radar, compared to more talked up teams like England, France and Ireland.

England:
New Zealand are a light weight rugby side, they can hold their own in the forwards but England caught them on a very off day. Since then England have been caught up in far too much hype.

Built up in the press, who will now probably take a huge delight and knocking them down after the Welsh loss. It's clear that the huge juggernaut pack that was around in the last world cup has been disassembled and a more fragile team is in it's place, they can play open rugby against anyone but get them into a dog fight and they really struggle. Get them into a dog fight in Cardiff, in front of baying supporters in a high pressure game and they really, really struggle.

They need more steel in the pack, and need to toughen up. Like their 2003 counterparts the mental strength of the future England team will probably be born out of the pain of losses like the one against Wales. Despite the New Zealand win I personally think their a weaker over all unit than the World Cup team. That pack was simply awesome, who crushed everyone. If they can get that pack of forwards with this English back line they could be a great team.

Scotland:
For me their a bit like England, they have gone full circle. Last season they dominated teams but didn't score points. This year they can't get the ball but do score points. They really need to get the balance right between Power and creativity, if they manage it they will be a dangerous team.

It's a good achievement to finish third, but I think far too much is wrong with Scottish rugby to think this is anything other than a lucky season. England and France will always bring through quality players based on the size of their league, the amount of professional teams and the playing populations. Wales and Ireland are also bringing through a log jam of young talent. This leaves Scotland well adrift off the top 4, and sadly they just aren't producing the skilled, all round rugby players that a successful international team needs.

It's not all bad news though, both Glasgow and Edinburgh have had their budgets increased, and Glasgow have really shown what to do with the extra money. Bringing in several internationals and playing fantastic rugby. If they can be successful it may give Scotland a feel good factor and push them on. Personally I think they need a third professional team to help push up and coming talent through.

Scotland won the traditional wooden spoon decider against Italy, as it was a home game. They also sneaked a win over Ireland who amazingly had Sexton injured and choose a very inexperienced Paddy Jackson over a worn out Ronan O'Gara, who's skills have long since deserted him.

Italy:
A very odd season for Italy. They lost the game they always like to target (the Scotland one), however they won against France and Ireland!

I'm not sure whether Italy have actually made any progress though, the lesson with Italy is if you play them and under perform they may get their tails up and turn you over and the longer they remain in the game the more dangerous they are. France and Ireland were appalling against them and lost because of it.

I'm not sure if will be any time soon that Italy will catch Ireland and France in such a mess, and I wouldn't expect next season to be much different to what we'd normally expect. The wooden spoon will be decided against Scotland in Rome.

France:
If France do badly we normally have the excuse they have too many talented players and can't get the right combinations, or they have injuries. This season there are no excuses. All the flair and skill that you associate with French rugby seems to have been coached out, their players look like robots running preplanned moves and even then they mess most of them up. No speed, no creativity, no vision, no skill, no ambition, no heart, and very little self belief. With players played in the wrong positions. the French rugby Union really need to pick a good coach, they always seem to go for a famous ex-international not choose successful French coaches on the merit of their coaching accomplisments.

They need a bloody good sort out in France.

Ireland:
I'm rally not sure what to make of Ireland this season. 42 minutes into the first game and they were winning 3-30 against Wales. For the first time in living memory injuries have taken a massive toll on their team, as their normally so careful with their players, and their depth has been found wanting.

The key issue is Ireland always have talent at fly half, for years it was David Humphreys and Ronan O'Gara, and in recent memory it's Ronan O'Gara and Jonathan Sexton.

It's pretty clear and has been since last season that Ronan O'Gara should of been allowed to retire when he announced it, and not of been forced into carrying on for Ireland under the terms of his contract.

His kicks no longer have the distance, and he just seems like a faded star. I think Jackson is learning fast but his education this season has been very, very costly for Ireland. Hopefully the upcoming tour to North America will help Jackson get more experience and he will become a good back up to Sexton in the coming seasons.

Though you have to wonder if Ireland will be as successful without old heads like Brian O'Driscoll, Gordon D'Arcy, Donncha O'Callaghan, Ronan O'Gara, and Paul O'Connell who are all due to retire in the next few seasons. Personally I think Ireland have the depth and young talent to keep their high place in World rugby.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Your Round up of each countries 6 Nations. Empty Re: Your Round up of each countries 6 Nations.

Post by TJ1 Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:21 am

Scotland - a mixed bag. Still showing the effects of the wasted year or two under Robinson and the makeshift nature of the management team.

showed a few patches of promise, got some young players into the team. Not many put their hands up for lions spots. best result for a good few years. This team will only get better

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Your Round up of each countries 6 Nations. Empty Re: Your Round up of each countries 6 Nations.

Post by Cardiff Taffy Sun 17 Mar 2013, 9:24 am

Wales - 360 minutes really good. 40 minutes really poor. B+

Cardiff Taffy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down