The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

C5 quits boxing

+16
Il Gialloblu
John Bloody Wayne
spencerclarke
horizontalhero
Strongback
Adam D
School Project
Imperial Ghosty
Rowley
AlexHuckerby
ONETWOFOREVER
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Gee
sweet_pea
azania
TopHat24/7
20 posters

Go down

C5 quits boxing Empty C5 quits boxing

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:20 pm

C5 just confirmed on twitter that they've pulled out of boxing coverage.

No idea what this means for degale, eubank jr and fury. Can't believe they dropped what I thought was their biggest audience puller.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

C5 quits boxing Empty Re: C5 quits boxing

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

Crazy decision. Another nail in the coffin for boxing as a mainstream sport. Perhaps Warren is onto a winner with Box Nation.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:22 pm

Interestingly I saw this thanks to a Frank Warren retweet, wonder if the sly old dog has something planned....?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:24 pm

oh well that sucks balls.
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

azania wrote:Crazy decision. Another nail in the coffin for boxing as a mainstream sport. Perhaps Warren is onto a winner with Box Nation.

Personally I blame Fury. He's such a chinless wonder that it's no wonder C5 have backed out...

Now boys and girls, imagine if it was Price and we'd be hearing some garbage from Az about some make believe story.

But on a sensible note is a shame. Old enough to remember the good ol' days when you could watch the likes of Benn, Eubank, Audley... no wait scratch the last name.. and co on terrestrial.

And it's no wonder Boxnation looks amateur - it is. After you take away the lack of shows he puts on that make money, the lack of big fights he's left with a £200 camera from Argos to film Buncey talking absolute crap on!

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:31 pm

Well maybe fat mic will show the Fury fight on the PPV website that showed Froch vs Taylor.

DeGale, Fury etc need to leg it from fat Mick now
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:33 pm

picard

Silly silly boy Gee.

Now do I get rid of ESPN or go Box Nation? I like UFC and get ESPN for that. I get boxing on Sky and on my laptop. I still don't like the idea of paying for a subscription boxing channel. How many repeats can I take? It will kill boxing.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:35 pm

With bt taking over espn I think I'm going to redeploy to boxnation

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:39 pm

azania wrote: picard

Silly silly boy Gee.

Now do I get rid of ESPN or go Box Nation? I like UFC and get ESPN for that. I get boxing on Sky and on my laptop. I still don't like the idea of paying for a subscription boxing channel. How many repeats can I take? It will kill boxing.

You know I was only playing Mr Azania.

Personally I would just get rid of both, you can quite easily get what ever you want online anyway. And you can also stream boxing.

Ba-dum.

But for me £10 a month doesn't cover what I'd want to see, and with Sky I can watch rugby.. football.. cricket.. tennis.. thai ping pong involving girlssss, no, no wait... that's online as well.

Frank Warren has tried his best to undermatch fighters for his own benefit, it doesn't strike me like he's going to try and change the face of UK boxing with Boxnation. He's not a GBP who will match good fighters against good opposition for instance.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:42 pm

az likes UFC????

This is a shame really just as the careers of Eubanks jnr and Fury were getting some limelight. Anyway PLUCK ch 5.

Gee can remember the good old days watching Benn and Eubanks. Well I can remember the good old days watching TYSON in the early hours on ITV, Elton John's ''Saturday nights alright for fighting'' opening the show. Those were the good old days.

SAD SAD SAD.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:46 pm

Yep. Saw GSP dry hump Nick Diaz for 25 minutes on saturday/sunday.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:47 pm

Thank goodness for the guru of boxing whoever that is.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:51 pm

That's pants... BoxNation will be licking there chops at having Degale and Fury and Eubank and co. back. Sure Degale's thrilled, he may move to Matchroom, I suspect, he wasn't overly keen on Boxnation I don't think.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 18 Mar 2013, 9:52 pm

azania wrote:Yep. Saw GSP dry hump Nick Diaz for 25 minutes on saturday/sunday.

Yeah but did you appreciate the skill involved??????????

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:00 pm

Just a gentle reminder that the sites position on streaming has not changed any. Have noticed over the last couple of days a number of posters seem intent on testing the fence so to speak. When I get bored of either posting stuff like this or deleting posts and start handing out the bans again don't start whining again because you have been told on more than one occasion.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

It says a fair bit when a WWF wrestler, who's had years out of his supposed wrestling background, has an immediate impact.

And no, punching someone on their back isn't skilled - it lacks action and some more. Dare anyone to give me the greatest round in their history and I/we could offer 100 more from boxing in the last year alone.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:08 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

GSP is brilliant. For a karate expert to dominate wrestlers, muay thai and all manner of fighters with superior wrestling is nothing short of phenomenal. I reckon his KO loss to Matt Serra taught him to take the safer option always. If he moves up to MW, Silva will hand him his rear end. His stand up is crap.

The previous match with Condit and whathisname was terrific.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:11 pm

Gee wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

It says a fair bit when a WWF wrestler, who's had years out of his supposed wrestling background, has an immediate impact.

And no, punching someone on their back isn't skilled - it lacks action and some more. Dare anyone to give me the greatest round in their history and I/we could offer 100 more from boxing in the last year alone.

Doesn't mean that there isn't a tremendous amount of skill involved.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm

Gee

I'm not the fan of UFC I used to be but the skill level the top guys possess is incredible; GSP and Silva are the standouts now while a few years back there was Hughes and Couture, the master of them all Gracie had an insane level of ability (he was the runt and weakest member of the family).

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:25 pm

I wouldn't want to pick an argument with any Gracie seeing as Royce was the runt as you say. He brutalised several men who outweighed him by 100lbs. Incredible guy. They even named a style of BJJ after them.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:38 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Gee

I'm not the fan of UFC I used to be but the skill level the top guys possess is incredible; GSP and Silva are the standouts now while a few years back there was Hughes and Couture, the master of them all Gracie had an insane level of ability (he was the runt and weakest member of the family).

It's not my thing, hence why I like boxing and boxing only. Just don't get how one guy laying on top of the other in some sort of missionary position kinda hold is skillful. I understand you think otherwise and respect that way of thinking, some people think bowls takes more skill than tenpin bowling etc.

What made me smile about the shambles of the Toney "fight" was that he doesn't appear to have been handed the opportunity to knock the guy out quicker than he was.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

But anyway, C5 quits boxing...

Back to the topic on hand......

They have their reason I suppose, if they were doing that well they wouldn't drop it. Live events cost a fortune to cover.

Gee

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

It is not a question of thinking otherwise. It is a fact that there is a high degree of skill involved. One false or wrong move could result in a broken arm, ankle, knee or being choked out.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 18 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm

Gee wrote:But anyway, C5 quits boxing...

Back to the topic on hand......

They have their reason I suppose, if they were doing that well they wouldn't drop it. Live events cost a fortune to cover.

If they get good figures, then charge more for adverts. Benn and co used to pull in 15m viewers.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:12 am

benn and co. were fighting people that others had heard of like Watson and Eubank and massively hyped up events like against McLellan etc. plus they were fighting world class opposition, Fury and Degale etc. haven't done that yet and plus them fights have had next to no build up to them because CH5 are pretty poor at pushing those kinds of things it appears.

As for UFC, there's a massive deal of skill and I tune in every now and then, and sometimes I have been quite entertained, others are droll and literally its just guys rolling around ontop of each other. I like watching Dan hardy(?) I think it is, he's generally a standup fighter and is usually involved in exciting fights.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:15 am

Was Sky around when Benn etc were fighting on terrestrial?

Never had Sky growing up so have no idea, I was only around 6-10 years old when Benn was at his peak and never got to watch him on tele.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:32 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Was Sky around when Benn etc were fighting on terrestrial?

Never had Sky growing up so have no idea, I was only around 6-10 years old when Benn was at his peak and never got to watch him on tele.

Not when he was at his peak, Sky signed them up but that was when they were coming to the tail end of there careers getting beat up by Calzaghe etc.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:37 am

Yeah mate, Sky was about in the late 1980's/Early 1990's when Eubank and Benn were about. I think Sky showed the Bruno/Tyson fights along with the Lewis/Bruno fight? I could be wrong though.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:42 am

Just a thought... don't Channel 5 have a stake in Primetime?

If they are completely quitting boxing, maybe they should take that crummy station away with them.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:08 am

Desmond owns both C5, Primetime (and the Express) from memory.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:10 am

The plan appeared to be to use CH5 as a feeder channel then when Fury etc. got big enough or got a Klit then they would go onto Primetime and make some decent money. However, they must think it's pointless as I think it's patently obvious Fury is going to avoid a Klit like the plague and his last fight was a stinker. Must think it's just not worth it for them.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:32 am

Adam D wrote:Desmond owns both C5, Primetime (and the Express) from memory.
and to think...he just used to own that Barber's shop.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:03 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:benn and co. were fighting people that others had heard of like Watson and Eubank and massively hyped up events like against McLellan etc. plus they were fighting world class opposition, Fury and Degale etc. haven't done that yet and plus them fights have had next to no build up to them because CH5 are pretty poor at pushing those kinds of things it appears.

I can't fully agree with this. Eubank, Benn and Watson were doing very well in the UK fighting each other. Collins saw what was going on and hot footed his way to Britain to make some easy money.

The best fighters in the world were definitely not fighting British or Irish fighters . There was the exception of Mike McCallum handing out a couple of beating.

On the topic of C5 I am wondering if the fights were getting too expensive, too rich for C5's blood. Maybe they think Fury and co can develop into PPV fighters on Primetime.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

It was Eubank that defected to Sky and started this rot- Sky offered him a ridiculous £10million for 10 defences over something like 2 years- this resulted in; 1. A series of mostly poor 12 round Eubank defences. 2 Eubank burining himself out. 3. A precedent being set for the likes of Hatton fightingSky, and the death of the sport as part of the mainstream.
I don't hold it against Eubank- he was in the sport to make money, but Sky has been poor for the sport in general.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:14 pm

BT are about to unveil their new sports channel in the next couple of months (with a tie in with espn possibly?). I wonder if they will get involved. There will be plenty of gaps in the scheduling at the mo as I believe so far they have only picked up 38 premiership games, a range of italian amd brazilian games, rugby and womens tennis.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

Strongback wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:benn and co. were fighting people that others had heard of like Watson and Eubank and massively hyped up events like against McLellan etc. plus they were fighting world class opposition, Fury and Degale etc. haven't done that yet and plus them fights have had next to no build up to them because CH5 are pretty poor at pushing those kinds of things it appears.

I can't fully agree with this. Eubank, Benn and Watson were doing very well in the UK fighting each other. Collins saw what was going on and hot footed his way to Britain to make some easy money.

The best fighters in the world were definitely not fighting British or Irish fighters . There was the exception of Mike McCallum handing out a couple of beating.

On the topic of C5 I am wondering if the fights were getting too expensive, too rich for C5's blood. Maybe they think Fury and co can develop into PPV fighters on Primetime.

I don't see what you have disagreed with me on there...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:02 pm

School Project wrote:Just a thought... don't Channel 5 have a stake in Primetime?

If they are completely quitting boxing, maybe they should take that crummy station away with them.

NOOO. It's the only channel edgy enough to bring in the appreciable wonder of Ronald Mcintosh. It must survive.

Don't know if you've all already seen this or not? https://twitter.com/BoxingNewsED/status/314033101934317568

Apparently Channel 5 are still in talks about showing Fury v Cunningham.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:03 pm

Also:

peter fury. ‏@peterfury 9h
@v2Journal @tyson_fury as far as we're concerned. All as normal and training hard for our fight.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:48 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Strongback wrote:

They didn't fight the best and often did not fight world class opponents especially Eubank.

Eubank never faced a true worlds best opponent in his career until Calzaghe. None of them fought the real world class fighters except the two loop sided losses to McCallum. There was no James Toney, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins etc etc.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Wed 20 Mar 2013, 6:37 am

Gee wrote:some people think bowls takes more skill than tenpin bowling etc.

I reckon it does. Made a poll though to decide it once and for all. This is important.

https://www.606v2.com/t42065-which-requires-the-most-skill-bowls-or-bowling
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:53 am

Strongback wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
Strongback wrote:

They didn't fight the best and often did not fight world class opponents especially Eubank.

Eubank never faced a true worlds best opponent in his career until Calzaghe. None of them fought the real world class fighters except the two loop sided losses to McCallum. There was no James Toney, Roy Jones Jr, Bernard Hopkins etc etc.

At what point did I say that they fought the best? Please Strongback, try reading you fool. I said that they fought people who the public had actually heard of. Not the best. Get a job mate.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:22 am

You did say they were fighting 'world class opposition', which is probably where Strongy derived 'best' from. And which, arguably, his post still addresses.

I guess it goes back to that old chesnut of how do you define 'world class'.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:25 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:You did say they were fighting 'world class opposition', which is probably where Strongy derived 'best' from. And which, arguably, his post still addresses.

I guess it goes back to that old chesnut of how do you define 'world class'.

Benn Eubank and co were all world class at the time fighting for world titles.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:28 am

Which is what I mean by definition. It is clear that Strongy doesn't consider them world class and that none of them ever fought truly 'world class' (i.e. divisional leaders) fighters like RJJ, Toney, BHop.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 20 Mar 2013, 9:58 am

Start a thread asking as to whether Eubank, Benn and Watson etc. were world class then, wonder what the responses will be.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by RichC101 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 11:40 am

Silly silly boy Gee.

I'd weigh up the options of BoxNation if I were you Az. BT have acquired ESPNs UK and Ireland channels and will rebrand most of them for the new football season. I'm not sure what this will mean for UFC and some of the boxing that you get on ESPN at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21577676

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 20 Mar 2013, 3:35 pm

RichC101 wrote:

Silly silly boy Gee.

I'd weigh up the options of BoxNation if I were you Az. BT have acquired ESPNs UK and Ireland channels and will rebrand most of them for the new football season. I'm not sure what this will mean for UFC and some of the boxing that you get on ESPN at the moment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21577676

i think UFC is much more stable than boxing (cards never cancelled, big fights guarenteed, one power controlling everything else, clear champions at each weight etc) and is likely to do better than boxing in any future BT deals.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by RichC101 Wed 20 Mar 2013, 4:01 pm

You could well be right about UFC being stable, they do really well with matching their best against their best, something boxing should learn from. But will BT keep either of them on air?

The article mentions keeping sport from America on air in the UK but mainly talks about college basketball, college football and nascar, no mention of UFC or boxing in there. Crying or Very sad

RichC101

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:06 pm

Sky tested the waters getting the ultimate fighter a few seasons ago. They may go for UFC if that did good numbers.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Wed 20 Mar 2013, 8:23 pm

Il Gialloblu wrote:
Gee wrote:some people think bowls takes more skill than tenpin bowling etc.

I reckon it does. Made a poll though to decide it once and for all. This is important.

https://www.606v2.com/t42065-which-requires-the-most-skill-bowls-or-bowling

I've voted and commented but it's not exactly taking off. Maybe it should be made "global"?

Oh and I couldn't give a toss about C5 stopping showing boxing. If enough people had of been interested they wouldn't have. They weren't so they did.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down