The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If The Earthquake In Haiti Didn't Happen...

5 posters

Go down

If The Earthquake In Haiti Didn't Happen... Empty If The Earthquake In Haiti Didn't Happen...

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:49 am

Just a sort of interesting one, see if anybody can think of any non-boxing related event that has changed the course of boxing history, here's mine:

If the earthquake in Haiti didn't happen then Berto wouldn't have pulled out of his fight with Mosley, Mosley changed opponents to Margarito, that means that there's a chance Margarito would have never gotten caught with plaster in his wraps. Means also that Cotto's legacy would have been more tainted than it is because if Margarito never gets caught then no one questiosn the legitimacy of the loss and perhaps there isn't a massive rematch.

Also, Margarito was possibly distracted with everything going on aroudn him during the Mosley fight and is a possible reason to his poor performance on the night and Mosley fights Berto instead, if Berto wins then Mosley doesn't get the fight with Mayweather, instead perhaps it ends up being Berto/Mayweather. This also means that Ortiz never fights Berto, this meaning that perhaps Ortiz never manages to redeem himself from the Maidana loss where everybody questioned his heart, the Berto fight made people believe he had grit again and that in turn got him the Floyd fight, this fight perhaps never happens?

Am sure there's other things that could have conspired between the Welterweight division that I can't think of right now. Got any, perhaps Union could go nuts with this one?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

If The Earthquake In Haiti Didn't Happen... Empty Re: If The Earthquake In Haiti Didn't Happen...

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:02 am

Wasn't the Haiti earthquake a year after Mosley-Margarito, Alex? Berto pulled out of a fight with Mosley and, as a result, Mosley fought Mayweather instead, unless I'm getting mixed up!

Anyway, in that case, then I don't think it would have changed a great deal - Floyd would probably have just fought the winner of Mosley-Berto in the summer of 2010 (which would surely have been Shane) in any case, before his legal woes took over later that year.

Good question, though. Will have a think.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

If The Earthquake In Haiti Didn't Happen... Empty Re: If The Earthquake In Haiti Didn't Happen...

Post by School Project Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:06 am

Jeez Alex, when was the last time you slept?! Haha!

I'll give it to you though, it made for an interesting read. It's funny how in Boxing we can see a road being set for a fighter in advance and the slightest deviation can throw everything off course... Maybe it highlights the importance of taking things one fight at a time!

I thought a similar scenario a while back:

Oscar De La Hoya pencils in a fight with Ricky Hatton in the UK, In between he fought Manny Pacquaio - the rest is history, but...

Oscar doesn't fight Manny, fights Hatton instead. Manny Pacquaio stays at Lightweight (presumably to combat Marquez until they die), Alex Ariza doesn't become famous, casual fans never cared about PED's, none of us have ever heard of Michael Koncz, we don't have to hear Manny singing, Mayweather remains p4p number 1. Oscar, Hatton and Manny don't get involved in cocaine, gambling or affairs.

Mine is less boxing related and sounds more like a soap!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:07 am

Mosley marg was in early 2009, the proposed Berto-Mosley fight was scheduled for Jan 2010 so Chris is right in saying that it paved way for the mayweather fight

For the record, given what's passed since you'd probably bet that Mosley would have beaten Berto so nothing really would have changed

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

Fair enough must have gotten my dates mixed up... I feel so useless now, taken away all my hopes and dreams of finally making an interesting topic...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 19 Mar 2013, 10:59 am

AlexHuckerby wrote:Fair enough must have gotten my dates mixed up... I feel so useless now, taken away all my hopes and dreams of finally making an interesting topic...

I still thought it was good Alex, don't beat yourself up over it.

I'm sure there's more natural disasters that have affected the sport. One that sticks out in my mind is:

Froch vs. Kessler: The volcano never errupted, Froch beat Kessler because the volcano didn't affect him. He beats Abraham and Johnson and loses handedly to Ward. Froch wins a title from Bute but DOESN'T need a rematch with Kessler as he retired him due to the focus he had following the lack of a volcano.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:19 am

[quote="School ProjectFroch vs. Kessler: The volcano never errupted, Froch beat Kessler because the volcano didn't affect him. He beats Abraham and Johnson and loses handedly to Ward. Froch wins a title from Bute but DOESN'T need a rematch with Kessler as he retired him due to the focus he had following the lack of a volcano.

[/quote]

And in doing so leapfrogs Joe Calzaghe as Britain's greatest ever SMW...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 11:23 am

Which means Calzaghe comes out of retirement, beats Froch and then faces Hopkins again and we all die a little in side (except Steffan who revels in the fact that Calzaghe and Cleverley are the two greatest fighters in the world...or something)

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 12:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Which means Calzaghe comes out of retirement, beats Froch and then faces Hopkins again and we all die a little in side (except Steffan who revels in the fact that Calzaghe and Cleverley are the two greatest fighters in the world...or something)

Laugh

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down