The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Changes to Amateur Boxing

+6
88Chris05
John Bloody Wayne
horizontalhero
TopHat24/7
BoxingFan88
Valero's Conscience
10 posters

Go down

Big Changes to Amateur Boxing Empty Big Changes to Amateur Boxing

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 19 Mar 2013, 12:39 pm

From June 1st, headgear will be removed for all high level senior amateur events and scoring is reverting to the 10 point must rule.

Personally I think this is a great move but will have an impact on some amateurs with their styles.

What do you thnik.

Ps - i can't find a decent link but here is one:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323393304578360250659207918.html

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Big Changes to Amateur Boxing Empty Re: Big Changes to Amateur Boxing

Post by BoxingFan88 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm

I like the 10 point must system, but removing head gear is essentially the pro game?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:04 pm

Is that what they have in WSB already? I know they do more rounds and no headgear.

Lomachenko was on Ringside the other night saying he was going to clean up WSB (having already done so the 'traditional' amateur ranks) then turn pro. Smile Smile Smile

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:05 pm

The news that they're reverting to traditional scoring is great. The cmputer system was far to simplistic, and lead to head hunting and disadvantaged body punchers and boxers that liked to work inside. The head gaer won't change anything they are/ were pretty much cosmetic, though apparently the decision was based upon studies showing they increased the number of concussions. Which begs the question why then are they not being done awayu with for women and juniors?

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:18 pm

I hate headguards, good news.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 19 Mar 2013, 1:20 pm

Good news, I think. Not sure the universal removal of the head gear was really necessary but I'm pleased with the changes to scoring rules; in theory, the speedsters aren't going to have it as easy in the unpaid ranks anymore.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:02 pm

I guess the jury is still out on head gear, many think it merely prevents cosmetic damage only and that damage to the brain is not protected.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

Does this change the Olympic system as well? (I haven't been able to read the link sorry VC).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:06 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote: head gear, many think it merely prevents cosmetic damage only and that damage to the brain is not protected.

I agree with the many. But on 606 you always hear "wait till he get hits without the headgear on". Some would have you believe you're fighting from inside a padded shark cage.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:24 pm

I have worn headgear during the very small amount of sparring i've done and I don't remember feeling less impact. It actually gives your opponant reason to hit you harder as they think they are doing less harm!

S. project - yes this is to include Olympics and all major senior boxing competitions.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 19 Mar 2013, 2:49 pm

Removal of headgear....about time, but hopefully they'll still keep their vests on!

I'm all for change and evolution but let's not go crazy

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Tue 19 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:I like the 10 point must system, but removing head gear is essentially the pro game?

Head guards were only introduced in the early 90's I think, and we're, for a while, optional. They do offer protection from clashes of heads and do protect from cuts above the eye, but as alluded to earlier they don't protect the chin or face, and make little difference. The bigger difference in terms of absorbing punches is in the gloves. the pro's usually use lighter , harder gloves than the 10 ounce ones used in the amateurs.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:15 pm

My only worry is cuts. With the tournament format of Amateur/Olympic boxing can mean fighting up to 6 times in less than two weeks. A bad cut can result in your withdraw regardless of winning fights or not. Quite a few of the Irish team aren't over the moon with this.

I know that Headgear can limit your peripheral vision as well as making a bigger scoring target, so I can see the argument for their withdrawal, but the cynic in me sees this as AIBA trying to bring the amateur code more in line with the pro game to make money rather than having the best interest of the boxers or the sport in mind.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 19 Mar 2013, 9:36 pm

TheMackemMawler wrote:
Valero's Conscience wrote: head gear, many think it merely prevents cosmetic damage only and that damage to the brain is not protected.

I agree with the many. But on 606 you always hear "wait till he get hits without the headgear on". Some would have you believe you're fighting from inside a padded shark cage.

Head gear gives a bigger target area and is probably more dangerous.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down