The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can the next heavyweight champion be British?

+16
bhb001
RichC101
ShahenshahG
Imperial Ghosty
hampo17
eddyfightfan
sweet_pea
Boxtthis
hogey
TheMackemMawler
Lance
John Bloody Wayne
RanjitPatel
88Chris05
azania
winchester
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Can the next heavyweight champion be British? - Page 2 Empty Can the next heavyweight champion be British?

Post by winchester Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:28 pm

First topic message reminder :

I think Fury or Price can be heavyweight champions. I dont rate Wladimir Klitschko highly. Hes better against smaller fighters but he wouldnt have any size or strength advantage over Price and Fury and his chin is dodgy so they will fancy their chances. It might be controversial but I honestly think Price and Fury would knock Wladimir Klitschko out if they fought.

I dont know what to make of Haye. I was certain he would beat Wladimir Klitschko before they fought but he just didnt look to be BIG enough when they fought. I think he is too small to be a real heavyweight champion unfortuantely. Or do people think that his toe injury had a big say in why he lost? He seemed strangley cautious in the fight compared to other fights. Price and Fury are alot bigger than Haye and would be better suited to fight Wladimir.

Does anyone think these fights can happen soon?

winchester

Back to top Go down

Can the next heavyweight champion be British? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can the next heavyweight champion be British?

Post by winchester Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:05 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Come on now, Winchester - it's all getting a bit daft here.

Price has been fighting in non-stop forward mode and letting shots go left, right and centre because, up until he faced Thompson, he had licence to do as he pleased given the competition he was facing. I'm pretty sure Wladimir, likewise, could come wading in with no regard for defence had he been taking on the likes of Audley, Skelton and a disgracefully out of shape McDermott since he became champion.

No upright fighter like Price, particularly when they haven't yet proven themselves beyond domestic level, is beating Wladimir any time soon, unfortunately for you.

The same old lines were rolled out about Lennox Lewis. "He's too reliant on size", "he fights scared too often behind his jab" and so on. Wladimir's not quite as good as Lennox, but just like him he matches up supremely well against other 'giant' Heavyweights who try and fight at range.

It wasn't the tall, super-heavy fellas like Grant, Akinwande or Tucker who gave Lewis at his peak fits in general, but rather the shorter, inside fighters who came in low and got under that jab. Mercer beat him, for me, Holyfield gave him plenty to think about in their second fight, Rahman pushed him back and got in close enough to land the killer blow etc. Lewis himself knew what he was vulnerable against, hence why he shut up shop against the short, aggressive inside fighter Tua not long after making mince meat out of Grant, a fighter much closer in mould to Price and Fury.

Anyway, I'm sure that was a wasted few minutes of my life, but hey ho.

I disagree. What is very noticeable about Wladimir is that he does not come wading in. He approaches all his contests in the same conservative manner. I dont think it matters who his opponent is. He will box in exactly the same manner. Price will look to finish opponents in a much more aggressive fashion. If the two were to fight my prediction is that Price would knock Wladimir Klitschko out in the middle rounds. Wladimir would be wary of Price and his power. He would start the fight jabbing cautiously trying to keep out of harms way. I am convinced of it. This particular tactic works better on smaller fighters. Price is larger and harder to keep at bay. Wladimir might be able to avoid him for periods but not for an entire fight and I dont think he can handle a big aggressive fighter with such cautious tactics. Lennox Lewis was alot better than Wladimir Klitschko or Price or Fury from what I have seen. He would beat all of them rather easily I am sure.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Can the next heavyweight champion be British? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can the next heavyweight champion be British?

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Erm which bigger fighters has Wlad struggled against?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Are you ignoring the knockout defeat that Thompson just gave Price? He wouldn't make it to the middle rounds.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 pm

Don't feed the troll.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 pm

hampo171 wrote:Are you ignoring the knockout defeat that Thompson just gave Price? He wouldn't make it to the middle rounds.

I am not ignoring it, but by the same token are you and those backing Wladimir Klitschko ignoring that he has been knocked out many times?

I am basing my prediction of the way the two fighters measure up. Wladimir, conservative, timid, cautious who likes to box from a position of safety. Price, aggressive, looks to knock his opponent out and take chances. His last opponent who knocked him out did so by knocking him down at close range I am sure you notice. He was able to capitilise on Price taking risks by taking some of his own. Wladimir Klitschko would not do this. He would back off and try and maintain his comfort distance because he is too afraid to take punches and risk getting knocked out. Price, by extension, would enjoy greater freedom to impose himself and take chances. He has the size and power to do it. Other fighters may knock Price out agin but from what I can see Wladimir Klitschko doesnt have the style or willingness.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:26 pm

When 2 chinny guys fight, the one who is the better boxer and takes less risks often wins. Price makes Wlad look like Ali with McCall's chin.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Bold statement time(not really) but no one who has been knocked out by Tony Thompson will ever KO Wlad Klitscho.
Thompson had given up before getting in the ring judging by his condition and threw one punch and only needed one. Say no more.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:31 pm

Wladimir is an expert at measuring distance, as soon as Price tried to attack he would use that clever step back and throw a shot that would probably drop Price and keep him down.

You can't go from being stopped by a guy who is 41, isn't a big puncher and was at his heaviest ever weight to beating the best guy in the division. Its absurd. This is like D4 being back and think Pacquiao would have beaten every fight who ever laced the gloves up.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Winchester

Simple question now please answer it, which bigger men has Wlad struggled against?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:38 pm

Do you really expect an answer? The guy's a wum and is probably gordy or young towzer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 pm

azania wrote:Do you really expect an answer? The guy's a wum and is probably gordy or young towzer.

You call me wum yet you have offered little of substance. Is your analysis "A calculated stare would be enough to knock out Price". Price makes Wladimir Klitschko look like Ali with McCalls chin". Do you watch boxing?

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Winchester

Simple question now please answer it, which bigger men has Wlad struggled against?

He has been knocked out 3 times and knocked to floor 11 times I believe. All by heavyweights naturally. I cannot give you exact dimensions on the fighters that knocked him out but I assume by being heavyweights that they are large enough men by default. It is my opinon, based on the fights I have seen with Wladimir, that his style is best suited to fighting smaller men because it plays to his style and method of fighting. In every fight I have seen Wladimir Klitschko fight his style is the same. He like to jab at his opponent from distance, he is cautious to the point of being timid and he takes very little risks in trying to knock his opponent out. I do not believe that this approach is likely to beat somebody like Price. Price is aggressive, powerful and has the natural size to impose his aggression on Wladimir. Wladimir Klitschko on the other hand is not as likely to be able to jab away at Price from the distance he likes because he is smaller and not aggressive enough. Price was knocked out by an opponent who stood his ground. Something Wladimir does not do.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 pm

As I figured; wum. OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:19 pm

winchester wrote:

He has been knocked out 3 times and knocked to floor 11 times I believe. All by heavyweights naturally. I cannot give you exact dimensions on the fighters that knocked him out but I assume by being heavyweights that they are large enough men by default. It is my opinon, based on the fights I have seen with Wladimir, that his style is best suited to fighting smaller men because it plays to his style and method of fighting. In every fight I have seen Wladimir Klitschko fight his style is the same. He like to jab at his opponent from distance, he is cautious to the point of being timid and he takes very little risks in trying to knock his opponent out. I do not believe that this approach is likely to beat somebody like Price. Price is aggressive, powerful and has the natural size to impose his aggression on Wladimir. Wladimir Klitschko on the other hand is not as likely to be able to jab away at Price from the distance he likes because he is smaller and not aggressive enough. Price was knocked out by an opponent who stood his ground. Something Wladimir does not do.

So you have no idea who this men were then, covered up with a load of gibberish BS?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 pm

winchester wrote:

You stated that Wlad had issues with bigger men. Bigger than he I presume you meant. You were asked what bigger men he had trouble with. Not which big men he struggled with.

Failed again.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by winchester Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Wow. What a charming place. So glad I took the time to post.

winchester

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:30 pm

Thing is Winchester you are coming across as if you're on a huge wind up. You're happy to talk about how Wlad got knocked out or dropped but you're ignoring how Price got knocked out in spectacular style by a 41 year old man who was out of shape and threw one shot all fight, and that shot was not exactly a huge one was it.

You originally stated that Wlad has had trouble with bigger men but then said you couldn't name any. Price wouldn't last 6 rounds with Wlad, main reason besides his dodgy chin is that Price doesn't have a good enough jab to get past that ramrod of Wlads.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:50 pm

It's Wlad's birthday today. Happy 37th.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Can the next heavyweight champion be British?
If Wlad, applies for a British passport then maybe.

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Winchester, I do feel that some of Wladimir's attributes are slightly overrated on here, perhaps as a reaction to the fact that he has been underrated in the past. However, I think he has shown us easily enough to demonstrate that simply being big and aggressive is not enough to give him serious problems. I understand your point and I can see your reasoning, but I think if you look over the physical measurements of some of his opponents you will see why I respectfully disagree with your conclusions.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2