The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff : bonus points

2 posters

Go down

Jeff : bonus points Empty Jeff : bonus points

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:27 am

In another post about a completely different issue, behocked asked me about my views on bonus points and I shelved it for later. So I won't duck the issue.

In the league in its current form with playoffs necessitated by having to play Jeff games during the IWs, I'm for them as they favour attacking teams with some modifications:

1. A win bonus point should be earned when scoring four tries plus:
scoring at least three more tries than the opposition when playing at home
or
scoring at least two more tries than the opposition when playing away

2. A losing bonus point would be awarded when:
At home: by scoring five or fewer points less than the opposition
or
Away: by scoring seven or fewer points less than the opposition

But my views on reducing the Jeff to eight sides whilst retaining promotion/relegation would change the above proposal.
But I'd like to keep my fanciful hobby-horse issue out of this particular debate.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Jeff : bonus points Empty Re: Jeff : bonus points

Post by LondonTiger Thu 21 Mar 2013, 11:45 am

I am not a fan of Bonus Points. I do not believe that TBPs encourage attacking play, nor do I see why a team should get something when they lose ie LBP. Even more so when you look at how often the team that gets it has either been extremely negative, or sneaked in with a last ditch score to get within 7.

Tigers usually benefit from bonus points so my views are not driven by club loyalties (in case I am accused of that) just that I hate the concept.

In short:

TBPs are like artistic impression marks in Ice Skating
LBPs are like modewrn school sportsdays where "everyone is a winner"

ABBA had it right:

The Winner Takes it All.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 21 Mar 2013, 12:11 pm

LondonTiger wrote:I am not a fan of Bonus Points. I do not believe that TBPs encourage attacking play, nor do I see why a team should get something when they lose ie LBP. Even more so when you look at how often the team that gets it has either been extremely negative, or sneaked in with a last ditch score to get within 7.

Tigers usually benefit from bonus points so my views are not driven by club loyalties (in case I am accused of that) just that I hate the concept.

In short:

TBPs are like artistic impression marks in Ice Skating
LBPs are like modewrn school sportsdays where "everyone is a winner"

ABBA had it right:

The Winner Takes it All.

But if clubs are denuded of say ten players during IWs whilst others aspire to say two, LT, BPs go a wee way to rebalancing the handicap of the current system.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down