The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"No team in the world would have lived with them on Saturday" - S Barnes

+33
nganboy
Knowsit17
Scrumpy
mckay1402
disneychilly
RubyGuby
nathan
mystiroakey
OzT
aucklandlaurie
thebluesmancometh
Barney McGrew did it
aitchw
yappysnap
Taylorman
maestegmafia
english warrior
SecretFly
TJ1
Breadvan
fa0019
GunsGerms
100%beefy
offload
Biltong
Bathman_in_London
jelly
A World Cup and 3 Finals
gregortree
rodders
mikey_philVIII
Knackeredknees
Ospreydragon
37 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

"No team in the world would have lived with them on Saturday" - S Barnes - Page 3 Empty "No team in the world would have lived with them on Saturday" - S Barnes

Post by Ospreydragon Thu 21 Mar 2013, 1:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Would that performance have been enough to beat NZ?

Source:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/rugby-news/2013/03/18/stuart-barnes-says-wales-would-ve-beaten-the-all-blacks-on-saturday-91466-33014559/

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

"No team in the world would have lived with them on Saturday" - S Barnes - Page 3 Empty Re: "No team in the world would have lived with them on Saturday" - S Barnes

Post by blackcanelion Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm

Maybe they would have. It was a great win. There are so many what ifs. Good on Barnes for giving an honest opinion. I think a far more interesting question is has the win brought unrealistic expectations to Welsh fans. I made the same comment about the English media over the last 4 months following the win over NZ.

Whilst it's a great win, and 6 nations is in the bag. I'd be careful about reading to much into it. To me this was a 6 nations were both Ireland and France were below there normal standard. It begs the question as to how the win translates to a global context. In terms of the England Wales game. They definitely were superior on the day. But it is a one off game.

The reality is Wales have struggled to win against SH teams (NZ, Aust, SA). This is born out by the stats. I think it's more to with how the styles clash (the England game is more effective against SH teams in some circumstances and conditions). The reality they have 3 wins in 48 matches in the professional era. All the wins were at home and close. They haven't beaten them on neutral territory or away. It's important to that they play relatively few games away (just 13 games) so the stats are heavily biased in their favor.

In other words Good on Wales for a great win, good on Barnes for having an opinion, and good on the skeptics for taking a cynical view of the comments.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

"No team in the world would have lived with them on Saturday" - S Barnes - Page 3 Empty Re: "No team in the world would have lived with them on Saturday" - S Barnes

Post by Ospreydragon Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:21 am

"All the wins were at home and close." -- I would dispute that. The win against SA in 1999 (our only win against SA), to celebrate the opening of the MS, was comprehensive. Yes, it was only 10 points on the scoreboard, but it was a strong win.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Sun 24 Mar 2013, 1:27 am

Ospreydragon wrote:"All the wins were at home and close." -- I would dispute that. The win against SA in 1999 (our only win against SA), to celebrate the opening of the MS, was comprehensive. Yes, it was only 10 points on the scoreboard, but it was a strong win.

Fair enough. A good win for Henry's welsh side. Although they have been close, they have generally struggled against the SH when these teams are full strength. The win against the boks, the close run against NZ (2004), the games against Australia have been against understrength teams. Whist you can only play the team put up against you it is a factor that, along with Scotland and Italy, SH teams have been prepared to risk developing players against Wales (NZ didn't this summer).

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:47 am

blackcanelion wrote:
Ospreydragon wrote:"All the wins were at home and close." -- I would dispute that. The win against SA in 1999 (our only win against SA), to celebrate the opening of the MS, was comprehensive. Yes, it was only 10 points on the scoreboard, but it was a strong win.

Fair enough. A good win for Henry's welsh side. Although they have been close, they have generally struggled against the SH when these teams are full strength. The win against the boks, the close run against NZ (2004), the games against Australia have been against understrength teams. Whist you can only play the team put up against you it is a factor that, along with Scotland and Italy, SH teams have been prepared to risk developing players against Wales (NZ didn't this summer).

Yes Wales have been under-strength against Australia most of the time.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:52 am

Its a squad Game RW- you are only as good as your average game..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:58 am

mystiroakey wrote:Its a squad Game RW- you are only as good as your average game..

It's a team game:) and presently we are the best in Europe.
rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:37 am

Jeas - excuses when you fail. your the best when you win. Lulz..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:45 am

"excuses when you fail" - careful Oakey you're on thin ice with that one thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:49 am

Ok Doc..

But tell me when I have ever made excuses dude..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:50 am

All fans do this - its nothing new - You are just an exceptional individual Oakey thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:53 am

I know I am.. You are very well informed..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:55 am

thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:04 pm

[quote="dragonbreath"]
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Perhaps I'm the only one, Perhaps I'm wrong, but when I read threads like this I get the feeling that a lot of Welsh supporters are very jealous of English fans because England has more success against the ABs and the Springboks.

No you are right Laurie. Lack of SH success is a running sore the Welsh keep gnawing on, and it really at gripes them to England to clock up the odd one or two.
We used to beat Aussie for fun, home & away. On the flip side, the odd SH success is England's scant consolation prize for failing to win a 6N grand slam since 2003... and are we so frequently reminded about it..

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm

[quote="gregortree"]
dragonbreath wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:
Perhaps I'm the only one, Perhaps I'm wrong, but when I read threads like this I get the feeling that a lot of Welsh supporters are very jealous of English fans because England has more success against the ABs and the Springboks.

No you are right Laurie. Lack of SH success is a running sore the Welsh keep gnawing on, and it really at gripes them to England to clock up the odd one or two.
We used to beat Aussie for fun, home & away. On the flip side, the odd SH success is England's scant consolation prize for failing to win a 6N grand slam since 2003... and are we so frequently reminded about it..

Controversial I know and probably very silly, but England only really get themselves up for a game, as Wales did for their game against us this 6N, against the SH teams and probably France as well. Great RWC record, great results against the French compared to a relatively poor showing in the 6N is testament to this fact.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:35 pm

England of 2003 would have lived with them. Stuffed them
In the forwards, and had Jonny knocking over the three pointers. To be fair I can't think of another team that would have matched them.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:38 pm

England 1966 would'a had a right good go at 'em too, I reckon.

Charlton was no wallflower in the tackle department. "You is going down, Cuthbert, my son!"

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by A World Cup and 3 Finals Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:44 pm

Beefy Botham could taken them single-handedley in his pomp. He would have hooked many a 6 over Halfpenny's head.

A World Cup and 3 Finals

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:51 pm

Maybe England should start trying then if they don't want to once again lose 30-3 to a Wales team in second gear.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

Second gear now? Laugh

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 24 Mar 2013, 12:55 pm

Smile That was a fine bloodthirsty display by Wales Mikey...but it was by no means their second gear.

It was their running on fumes effort by the end. That was Wales flat out...let's not try to change history too much.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:15 pm

kiss Second gear, my how history is being re-written as we speak. mickey would have been a great Apparatchik for the now defunct Soviet Union, he'd be great at 'Changing History' .

Others may call it B.S. but i like to think of it not as B.S. but as the 'Welsh way'.

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun 24 Mar 2013, 2:20 pm

Laugh

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3