The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Famous people who have boxed as professionals

+18
BoxingFan88
John Bloody Wayne
Atila
Union Cane
TRUSSMAN66
Strongback
Valero's Conscience
Rich1066
seanmichaels
ONETWOFOREVER
Il Gialloblu
Mind the windows Tino.
rodders
azania
Pedro147
bhb001
Pound-for-Pound
rapidringsroad
22 posters

Go down

Famous people who have boxed as professionals Empty Famous people who have boxed as professionals

Post by rapidringsroad Thu 21 Mar 2013, 10:45 pm

Recently we have had sportsmen trying their hand at becoming professional boxers, Flintoff and Sonny Bill Williams are two that come to mind and a few years back actor Mickey O'Rourke had a few bouts.Going back quite a few years I read that Jack Palance an actor that often played the villain in westerns earned his crust as a professional boxer,fighting Joe Baksi amongst others also the well known western writer Louis Lamour had over twenty professional fights, however I can find no mention of these two on box rec so did they fight under another name or were they just rumours to make their background a little more colourful? Any of you experts out there know anything?

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Famous people who have boxed as professionals Empty Re: Famous people who have boxed as professionals

Post by Pound-for-Pound Fri 22 Mar 2013, 1:00 am

Jack Palance - not really a record to brag about -

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=041420&cat=boxer

Don't know if it's true but read on a different forum that L'amours fights were not professional.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Famous people who have boxed as professionals Empty Re: Famous people who have boxed as professionals

Post by bhb001 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 3:58 am

Wasn't Bob Hope an amateur boxer and said his nickname was Rembrandt because he spent so much time on the canvas?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 4:59 am

One that I don't think too many people know about is Billy Joel:

http://www.billyjoel.com/photos/the-boxer

Living in Long Island, he was bullied as a child and needed to learn how to protect himself. He then became a good boxer and entered local tournaments. He went undefeated for 22 fights and then lost two. In his 24th fight, he had his nose broken and right then decided he would not box anymore. Instead he decided to become a musician and was even more successful!

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:04 am

Idi Amin was Uganda hw champ. Retired undefeated.

Mandela was a decent amateur boxer.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:09 am

Liam Neeson was a good amateur boxer I think but not sure if he ever boxed pro.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:12 am

azania wrote:Idi Amin was Uganda hw champ. Retired undefeated.

Did he ever lose any fights and then the victor just 'disappeared'?

Ernest Hemingway liked a good fight. I think the reason he was refused entry to the army in WWI was due to poor eyesight stemming from high school boxing. Good friends with Gene Tunney I think although I may have made that up.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:16 am

Another amateur - Michael Flatley. Won the Chicago Golden Gloves in his youth. Great footwork, one would imagine.

Dunno any who would be an answer to the OP that asked for pros though.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:18 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:

Aye, that sounds suspiciously like Kim Jong-il's golf exploits.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:20 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:

I really need to learn to read. I didn't realise the OP was asking for pros.

Quade Cooper. Part-time Aussie flyhalf, part-time burglar, full-time helmet and now the owner of a 1-0-0 (1) professional boxing record.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:36 am

James Joyce was also a keen boxing fan and used to box when he was in Trinity College. Although not boxed professionally I must add.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 22 Mar 2013, 5:54 am

Ernest Hemingway liked a good fight. I think the reason he was refused entry to the army in WWI was due to poor eyesight stemming from high school boxing. Good friends with Gene Tunney I think although I may have made that up.

He never lost. He won most by KO and had the best defense in history. No-one could lay a glove on him for some reason.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:03 am

Burt Lancaster was either a boxer or street fighter before making it big as an actor.

Oliver Martinez Halle Berry's other half used to box, I think in the amatures.

Frank Sinatra never boxed but his father was a pro fighter

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:06 am

azania wrote:

He never lost. He won most by KO and had the best defense in history. No-one could lay a glove on him for some reason.

The Ugandan Willie Pep.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:19 am

Il Gialloblu wrote:

I really need to learn to read. I didn't realise the OP was asking for pros.

Quade Cooper. Part-time Aussie flyhalf, part-time burglar, full-time helmet and now the owner of a 1-0-0 (1) professional boxing record.

Quality player on his day. Apprently close to SBW. Have you seen highlights of SBW playing in Japan? It is like a normal bloke gatecrashing a midgets kick around. Embarrassing.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:23 am

Laugh

I do enjoy michaels' turn of phrase.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich1066 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:54 am

Not famous as such but all three kray brothers boxed as pros. Ronnie was a wild slugger, Charlie boxed in the navy and then had a few bouts and reggie had from memory a perfect record and was touted as a potential star

Rich1066

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:59 am

The amazing Freddie Flintoff!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:01 am

Tex Cobb was more famous for his movies than his boxing ability.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:14 am

Dorian Yates boxed didn't he??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:20 am

Don't know if anyone remembers the boxing movie Streets of Gold. Wesley Snipes played the lead. He had some good moves and is a decent martial artist. Didn't help him though when he was caught fornicating with Tyson's girlfriend.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:26 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Dorian Yates boxed didn't he??

Could have I don't know.

Franco Columbu was always the boxing bodybuilder. He claims to have been a Sardinian amateur champion. In Pumping Iron he is shown doing boxing training in Sardinia.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:29 am

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=307717&cat=boxer
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 8:16 am

Union, I'm going to need more information here. Who is Harold Webb?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 22 Mar 2013, 8:47 am

Harold "Harry" Webb - must be Cliff Richard

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:04 am

Isn't he the slaphead premier league ref?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:05 am

Rich1066 wrote:Not famous as such but all three kray brothers boxed as pros. Ronnie was a wild slugger, Charlie boxed in the navy and then had a few bouts and reggie had from memory a perfect record and was touted as a potential star
According to Mickey Duff, both Reggie and Ronnie were useless boxers who had to be carefully matched.

The dad of James Ear Jones, Robert Earl Jones was also an actor who boxed. Not sure if he turned pro though.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:06 am

seanmichaels wrote:Isn't he the slaphead premier league ref?

That's Howard Webb you boobie.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:14 am

DAVE667 wrote:Harold "Harry" Webb - must be Cliff Richard

Can't be. The fights were from the 30's. Cliff is not quite that old!!

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:05 am

This definitely doesn't count but it's one of my favourite witticisms ever so here it is anyway:
"Words fail Norman once again." - Gore Vidal after Norman Mailer tried to punch him.

Apparently De Niro won a couple of pro bouts in preparation for Raging Bull.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 10:13 am

Mickey Rourke

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

Strongback wrote:Don't know if anyone remembers the boxing movie Streets of Gold. Wesley Snipes played the lead. He had some good moves and is a decent martial artist. Didn't help him though when he was caught fornicating with Tyson's girlfriend.

Snipes began training in martial arts when he was 12 years old. He has a 5th degree black belt in Shotokan karate and a 2nd degree black belt in Hapkido. He has also trained in Capoeira[1] under Mestre Jelon Vieira and in a number of other disciplines including kung fu at the USA Shaolin Temple[11] and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:00 am

Thanks for that Pound, I know now why Jack Palance took up acting.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 23 Mar 2013, 7:54 am

To be fair to palance, baksi was useful, and he did allegedly have a run of victories prior to that, that boxrec doesn't have. Like I say, allegedly, and it probably helped his tough guy persona.

Did lose a shoot out to Alan Ladd in Shane though.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 23 Mar 2013, 7:55 am

Surprised no mention of David haye. Future Hollywood superstar and part time boxer.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat 23 Mar 2013, 8:18 am

Believe Motown Records founder Berry Gordy had a few fights in his youth.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:21 am

Lennox Lewis, star of movies like Johnny Was and Ocean's 11, was an alright amateur apparently, also undisputed heavyweight champion of the world before he decided he preferred acting.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 23 Mar 2013, 10:23 am

brian blessed was a champion amatuer fighter, not sure if he ever boxed pro though.

can also remember a charity boxing match, ricky gervais vs somebody else quite famous.

also curtis woodhouse came from sheffield united and is doing okay

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down