The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Simon Shaw - Legend

+18
Hound_of_Harrow
George Carlin
BODisGOD
Fluxy
lostinwales
ChequeredJersey
Manu's Boxing Coach
Barney McGrew did it
kiakahaaotearoa
Shifty
EnglishReign
RubyGuby
Looseheaded
little_badger
Ozzy3213
doctor_grey
sickofwendy
yappysnap
22 posters

Go down

Simon Shaw - Legend Empty Simon Shaw - Legend

Post by yappysnap Fri 22 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

Just watching the rugby club from last night and seen the interview with Simon Shaw after the second test in the Lions 09 series.

Man is a legend, you can see how much wearing that shirt meant to him and the hurt is written on his face.

OK

Really gets the emotions going ready for the next series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9-WejPDRyY

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Simon Shaw - Legend Empty Re: Simon Shaw - Legend

Post by sickofwendy Fri 22 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm

Best thing I remember about that game was the fear on bakkies face.
The big bully wanted nothing to do with shaw that game.
Sheridan also deserves an honourable mention for his contribution as a sub,great intensity.

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:24 pm

One of the best matches I have ever seen, the last 60 seconds not withstanding. Shaw was easily the best player on the pitch that day - and so many players on both sides were playing great, so that means something. Every time I watch that match I keep wishing someone would have slipped some caffeine pills to the timekeeper...........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 22 Mar 2013, 7:55 pm

Can it all come together again?

Will we see another Simon Shaw like performance? This Lions team could be freakishly young compared to most, I can't see that many over 30's on the plane.

If there is to be a new Shawsy out there, I think it'll be one of Jenkins or Best.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 22 Mar 2013, 8:15 pm

Hines if he goes, could be this tours Shawsy.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by little_badger Fri 22 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

yappysnap wrote:Just watching the rugby club from last night and seen the interview with Simon Shaw after the second test in the Lions 09 series.

Man is a legend, you can see how much wearing that shirt meant to him and the hurt is written on his face.

OK

Really gets the emotions going ready for the next series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9-WejPDRyY

Over the past 4 years I have watched that video a few times, every single time it has brought a tear to my eye. I may never recover from that trauma of watching the 2 lions test in 09, and I also may never forgive Ronan O'Gara (no matter how much I know rugby is a team game).

little_badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 22 Mar 2013, 11:44 pm

Simon Shaw is genuinely one of the few champions of the game.
No ego, no pretentiousness, just a hard working, respectful player giving his all.

I would have no issue if he did get selected for this tour as well.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 22 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm

Ian Evans could be of similar stature and he's a brute who's had a v good 6 Nations thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishReign Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:27 pm

Was the best game I've ever seen, you have to credit SA for coming back like they did. Shaw was magnificent and people who question the place of a Lions series in today's rugby culture need only watch that interview.

EnglishReign

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 23 Mar 2013, 12:44 pm

The Wallabies have still been selecting Radike Samo, who is presumed to be over 40, although no one knows his real age. He looks over 50. Yet, played one match on the wing in the last RWC.

So, if Shaw is selected for the Lions (and pour quoi pas?), he still could be only the second oldest player on the pitch.

Pick him.
Play him.
Win!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:42 pm

Shaw = Dirty thug, with a big mouth and overly inflated opinion of himself.

Never really rated him at all.

Last edited by Shifty on Sat 23 Mar 2013, 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

Is that what Shaw said about you? No wonder you don't like him.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:45 pm

Laugh
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by Manu's Boxing Coach Sat 23 Mar 2013, 1:46 pm

Shifty, get out.

Manu's Boxing Coach

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sat 23 Mar 2013, 3:02 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Is that what Shaw said about you? No wonder you don't like him.

Brilliant and well-deserved Very Happy
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 23 Mar 2013, 3:15 pm

With a bit more luck with injuries, more sympathetic selectors and not having to compete with Martin Johnson Shaw would be down as one of the best international locks in history. He didnt get those chances but with the Lions tour at least he got some redemption

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 23 Mar 2013, 7:04 pm

I just don't get why the English like him so much, booting Dwayne Peel in the head in the 2005 game and him whinging about 2001 Lions tour when he wasn't selected, and publicly belittling the locks that were deservedly selected ahead of him, speaks more about him than anything else he has ever done. It's also worth stating that Shaw wasn't even in the England team at the time, and his only caps in 2001 came when he went to Canada while the Lions were on tour!
Not to mention the knee drop on the South African scrum half where he got yellowed in the Lions test, or the red card against the All Blacks, for twice kneeing McCaw in the back of the head.

I'll admit he is durable and clearly can take a beating but 70 odd caps over a 15 year international career is hardly inspiring, especially when there are 10+ games a year, and 26 of those were as a replacement!
It's not that unusual for front 5 forwards to play on till nearly 40, loads of players have done so.

He's not a legend by any stretch of the imagination just an above average player who had a lot of staying power.

His only real run in the England team as a first choice player came after the 2003 World Cup when England were very, very dire. Before that his caps were on summer tours with weakened England teams where first choice players were injured or rested.

For me he was just a cheap shot artist who was pretty useful at attacking other players when they were in no position to defend themselves and nearly all the player he did hurt were backs!

He cost England so many games by giving away silly, pointless penalties, and is probably the best example of why England were so poor after the 2003 World Cup.

I'm sorry I just don't see any legend there. Erm Anyone who sees one needs to get their rose tinted glasses off.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Sat 23 Mar 2013, 9:38 pm

Sit down mate, think you've embarrassed yourself there.

Yes Shawsy has taken things too far (on rare occasions!) name one player who hasn't in a game full of aggression, even BOD is prone to the odd lapse and he practically earmarked as one of the greater of all time in his position.

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:46 pm

Grewcock kicked Peel, not Shaw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Barney McGrew did it Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:55 pm

[quote="Shifty"]I just don't get why the English like him so much, booting Dwayne Peel in the head in the 2005 game and him whinging about 2001 Lions tour when he wasn't selected, and publicly belittling the locks that were deservedly selected ahead of him, speaks more about him than anything else he has ever done. It's also worth stating that Shaw wasn't even in the England team at the time, and his only caps in 2001 came when he went to Canada while the Lions were on tour!
Not to mention the knee drop on the South African scrum half where he got yellowed in the Lions test, or the red card against the All Blacks, for twice kneeing McCaw in the back of the head.

I'll admit he is durable and clearly can take a beating but 70 odd caps over a 15 year international career is hardly inspiring, especially when there are 10+ games a year, and 26 of those were as a replacement!
It's not that unusual for front 5 forwards to play on till nearly 40, loads of players have done so.

He's not a legend by any stretch of the imagination just an above average player who had a lot of staying power.

His only real run in the England team as a first choice player came after the 2003 World Cup when England were very, very dire. Before that his caps were on summer tours with weakened England teams where first choice players were injured or rested.

For me he was just a cheap shot artist who was pretty useful at attacking other players when they were in no position to defend themselves and nearly all the player he did hurt were backs!

He cost England so many games by giving away silly, pointless penalties, and is probably the best example of why England were so poor after the 2003 World Cup.

I'm sorry I just don't see any legend there. Erm Anyone who sees one needs to get their rose tinted glasses off.[/quote]

For gawd's sake listen to yourself - I think what you mean is this stuff is just your opinion (whereas you're actually saying is anyone who doesn't share your opinion...... picard)
Barney McGrew did it
Barney McGrew did it

Back to top Go down

Post by BODisGOD Sat 23 Mar 2013, 11:58 pm

Never seen him play better than the 2nd Test in Pretoria.Pretty sure, his performance that day, inspired BOD to go for the 2013 test series.

BODisGOD

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:54 am

Fluxy wrote:Sit down mate, think you've embarrassed yourself there.

Yes Shawsy has taken things too far (on rare occasions!) name one player who hasn't in a game full of aggression, even BOD is prone to the odd lapse and he practically earmarked as one of the greater of all time in his position.

Oh well I guess we will have to disagree with each other then.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:45 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Hines if he goes, could be this tours Shawsy.
Definitely - I think that Shaw was 35 when he played in the second test.

Hines is 36 now but seems to be in the form of his career.

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sun 24 Mar 2013, 3:03 pm

Shawsy is a legend, and an absolute gent.

thumbsup

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sun 24 Mar 2013, 3:50 pm

Think most props wanted him up their backsides (so to speak) due to the power he generated. Big bugger for whom the opposition would rather him not be on the pitch. Even his book is a good laugh. Old bristol boy as well - total legend

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 24 Mar 2013, 4:59 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:Shawsy is a legend, and an absolute gent.

thumbsup

Agree with this. Put in some awesome performances & a real top bloke. Ale clap

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 25 Mar 2013, 2:57 am

I think Shifty has mixed up Grewcock and Shaw in general actually
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon 25 Mar 2013, 1:55 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:I think Shifty has mixed up Grewcock and Shaw in general actually

They do seemed to have morphed into 1 person in that description...

To play devils advocat slightly however, he was England's 4th choice lock (behind Johnson, Kay and Grewcock) in the early 2000's. The difference being that he kept going after the others retired and their replacements were nowhere near the same league, so it could be argued that be looked better due to a lack of competition in the England team.

Having said that and whether history has been kind to him or not, he was immense in 2009. Watching that clip really did bring a lump to my throat, so much passion for the shirt.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Mon 25 Mar 2013, 6:41 pm

Shifty wrote:I just don't get why the English like him so much, booting Dwayne Peel in the head in the 2005 game and him whinging about 2001 Lions tour when he wasn't selected, and publicly belittling the locks that were deservedly selected ahead of him, speaks more about him than anything else he has ever done. It's also worth stating that Shaw wasn't even in the England team at the time, and his only caps in 2001 came when he went to Canada while the Lions were on tour!

I'm sorry I just don't see any legend there. Erm Anyone who sees one needs to get their rose tinted glasses off.

There is so much wrong with this its unbeliveable!!

Been playing for 23 years, and still playing top flight club rugby, Only lock in the English Prem to score a drop goal, and 1 yellow and one red in that time is not bad for a lock.

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down