The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Flatman's Lions Team.

+10
mikey_philVIII
TJ1
Taffineastbourne
Knowsit17
theslosty
t1000advancedprototype
majesticimperialman
RuggerBoy
flyhalffactory
Artful_Dodger
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

David Flatman's Lions Team. - Page 2 Empty David Flatman's Lions Team.

Post by Artful_Dodger Sun 24 Mar 2013, 4:13 pm

First topic message reminder :

Probably the best Lions team I've seen yet, though I would probably have Parling in the second row. Should also be said that if O'Connell performs against Harlequins I think he will travel after his blinder against Connacht last night. His first match in a long time.

1 Cian Healey (Ire): Gethin Jenkins is also bang in form, so a close call.

2 Rory Best (Ire): Richard Hibbard is superb, but since William Servat of France retired Best has been the most consistent hooker in the northern hemisphere.

3 Adam Jones (Wal): The rock.

4 Alun Wyn Jones (Wal): How would he perform post-injury? Exceptionally. Joe Launchbury could feature too. Last Saturday wasn't his day, but what an impact he has had.

5 Jim Hamilton (Scot): Strong at the scrum, great timing for a giant in line-outs, confrontational and abrasive around the field. He would permit no liberties.

6 Chris Robshaw (Eng): Tireless and selfless. Stephen Ferris and Dan Lydiate are contenders if fit.

7 Sam Warburton (Wal): Back with a bang after tough few months. Seriously impressive.

8 Nick Easter (Eng): Toby Faletau and Jamie Heaslip both in with a shout, as is Ben Morgan when fit. But Easter is the boss at No 8.

9 Mike Phillips (Wal): Another man rejuvenated. This is all about who will scare Aussie defenders the most. Right now it's Phillips.

10 Jonny Sexton (Ire): Missed the past couple of games, but is still the man to control the series.

11 George North (Wal): Has it all.

12 Jamie Roberts (Wal): Based on form and experience. Knows what to do, has the athleticism to do it.

13 Brian O'Driscoll (Ire): Manu Tuilagi is a huge physical threat but BOD still has intelligence to work teams out and courage to take responsibility. One last shot.

14 Alex Cuthbert (Wal): Came of age in Six Nations. Automatic pick with his mate on the other side.

15 Leigh Halfpenny (Wal): Stuart Hogg could be a surprise success, but Halfpenny has experience, goal-kicking and a relationship with the two wingers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-union/news-comment/david-flatman-heres-my-revised-lions--with-a-few-welshmen-added-in-8547196.html?fb_action_ids=10151391645272736&fb_action_types=news.reads&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151391645272736%22%3A513284055401899%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151391645272736%22%3A%22news.reads%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

David Flatman's Lions Team. - Page 2 Empty Re: David Flatman's Lions Team.

Post by t1000advancedprototype Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:29 am

beshocked wrote:Kelly Brown has to be in the mix surely? Been consistently strong for club and country. Yet again part of a powerful backrow performance yesterday.

Not sure why Lydiate is even being considered - bearing in mind he's not been playing recently.

flyhalffactory Ross Rennie? picard

I would like to see a backrow of

6.Brown
7.Tipuric
8.Faletau

Some players are just too good to leave out. I can't wait for Lydiate to represent a decent club.

POC and Lydiate need to be on that plane and then see where they go from there.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:35 am

t1000advancedprototype wrote:
beshocked wrote:Kelly Brown has to be in the mix surely? Been consistently strong for club and country. Yet again part of a powerful backrow performance yesterday.

Not sure why Lydiate is even being considered - bearing in mind he's not been playing recently.

flyhalffactory Ross Rennie? picard

I would like to see a backrow of

6.Brown
7.Tipuric
8.Faletau

Some players are just too good to leave out. I can't wait for Lydiate to represent a decent club.

POC and Lydiate need to be on that plane and then see where they go from there.

We don't know how good they are playing at the moment because they aren't. Backrow in particular is very competitive with some players in decent form. I don't think Lydiate is better than the likes of Wood,Brown,SOB etc.

Paul O Connell is a slightly different case because 2nd row isn't the strongest area but even then he's not playing.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:15 am

POC has started very impressively. MOTM in his first game back. And even when he doesn't play well he can galvanise others to play better, so I think if his fitness holds up he should at least be on the plane.

AWJ, Evans, Launchbury, POC and Gray for me
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 25 Mar 2013, 10:20 am

theslosty wrote:POC has started very impressively. MOTM in his first game back. And even when he doesn't play well he can galvanise others to play better, so I think if his fitness holds up he should at least be on the plane.

AWJ, Evans, Launchbury, POC and Gray for me

Fair enough. I might change my mind about Paul O Connell if he shows good form.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Hood83 Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:10 pm

I think it's obvious and fair that Wales has the bulk of the team - their players look most in form. In particular I think their pack is clearly out front and should make up most of the Lions 8.

However, is anyone else just a little concerned with the Welsh backs. Again, players like North and Cuthbert are form players and look effective, they deserve to be on the plane and it's hard to argue against them starting. Fair enough.

BUT. Despite what people may wish, the Welsh backs do not play a 'Welsh way'. They're not all tricksy side-steps, acceleration and creativity. They're boshers. Excellent boshers, the best boshers around...but boshers nonetheless. The thing about Oz is that they know how to play against bruisers and teams you think will out muscle them never do. Are we convinced that Gatland et al know how to counter that? I'm not.

Not really sure I have the solution but I'd like to see some of the backs taken wit an eye on them being creative.

Hood83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2