The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gethin Jenkins not on the Lions tour?

+12
LondonTiger
red_stag
Knowsit17
RubyGuby
Taffineastbourne
reallybored
whocares
gregortree
lostinwales
LeinsterFan4life
UlstermaninGlasgow
wales606
16 posters

Go down

Gethin Jenkins not on the Lions tour? Empty Gethin Jenkins not on the Lions tour?

Post by wales606 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

While the captain's position is still unfilled though, Gatland also made it clear that players involved in the latter stages of this year's French Top 14 championship are unlikely to be included as the competition clashes with the beginning of the tour. That decision could rule out the likes of Jonny Wilkinson, Steffon Armitage and Andrew Sheridan.

http://www.espnscrum.com/lions-tour-2013/rugby/story/179341.html

ESPN seems to have forgotten that Gethin Jenkins also plays for Toulon.

If the Top14 final rules Gethin out of travelling it could be a huge blow to the Lions - he is first or second choice LHP and his experience would be invaluable to the tour.

I don't think Wilkinson or Sheridan were ever likely to tour, but after the 6Nations, I would have had Gethin in a starting shirt.

Who goes at LHP now?

Cian Healy
? Paul James?
? Ryan Grant?
? Alex Corbisiero? (is he fit?)
? Vunipola?
? Marler? (neither English LHP impressed me in the 6Ns)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Gethin Jenkins not on the Lions tour? Empty Re: Gethin Jenkins not on the Lions tour?

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:06 pm

If Jenkins is ruled out then Grant was already there behind him and Healy. The next spot is for whoever can manage to make a big enough impact in the latter stages of the HC and the end of the season for each league.

If we take the next most likely players to make the plane

James - Bath not in the HC or Amlin but could make an impact at AP level, and known by Gatland
Marler - Quins looking to make HC semis at the minimum so he will have plenty of opportunities to impress, but poor today vs Sarries
Vunipola - Known for his barnstorming runs but had an excellent game today vs Quins. Will be looking to get involved in their HC/AP run

Corbisero is most likely out for the season and won't get a chance to get fit again.
Court/Kilcoyne/Low/Reid not up to the standard
Chunk retired/too old

If I was picking on current form then Vunipola would go as no 3. LH
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Gethin Jenkins not on the Lions tour? Empty Re: Gethin Jenkins not on the Lions tour?

Post by wales606 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 7:08 pm

Think I would take Paul James and Grant
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:00 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:If Jenkins is ruled out then Grant was already there behind him and Healy. The next spot is for whoever can manage to make a big enough impact in the latter stages of the HC and the end of the season for each league.

If we take the next most likely players to make the plane

James - Bath not in the HC or Amlin but could make an impact at AP level, and known by Gatland
Marler - Quins looking to make HC semis at the minimum so he will have plenty of opportunities to impress, but poor today vs Sarries
Vunipola - Known for his barnstorming runs but had an excellent game today vs Quins. Will be looking to get involved in their HC/AP run

Corbisero is most likely out for the season and won't get a chance to get fit again.
Court/Kilcoyne/Low/Reid not up to the standard
Chunk retired/too old

If I was picking on current form then Vunipola would go as no 3. LH
Bath are in the Amlin.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 24 Mar 2013, 8:04 pm

Given the current pecking order at Toulon I imagine Gethin may well be available

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:01 pm

Well, if they want to rake around in the S of France for a LH Lion, then may as well take first choice Teddy S.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:08 pm

Jenkins was more 3rd choice LH at toulon before the 6N. Assuming there is no injuries he wont be in their 23 men squad anyway. Also only relevant if Toulon do reach the final.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:14 pm

Gethin started for Toulon on the weekend

I really can't see him being left out of the squad for the top14 final
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:26 pm

Hasn't Jenkins signalled a return to Wales this summer? If so he may do a Hines and just quit his club to join the Lions.

Has to be between Vunipola and Grant for the 3rd LH spot.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:28 pm

wales606 wrote:Gethin started for Toulon on the weekend

I really can't see him being left out of the squad for the top14 final

Yeah he did start and thats my point. Laporte was heavily rotating his players giving a chance to those who lacked game time. In the 23, there was 9 guys from the academy something unreal in Toulon and a fullback (lapeyre) was playing at 10 with other fullbacks (armitage and palisson) taking the kicks!!

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:31 pm

Good news for Wales.
Bad news for Lions.
Bad news for Gethin.
Good news for Oz.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:33 pm

Or just no news at all if I know Gatland Wink

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sun 24 Mar 2013, 9:37 pm

Considering Laporte doesn't seem to be Jenkins' biggest fan (begs the question why buy him in the first place and waste everyone's time for a season?), I'd be very surprised if Jenkins is entirely unavailable for selection. Maybe if he asks nicely enough they might even release him early from his contract.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:18 pm

I dont think Jenkins would be that big a loss. Healy is arguably as good an overall player and Paul James is a better scrummager. Ryan Grant, Vunipola and Marler are all good midweek players.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:26 pm

Jenkins will be released by Toulon, unless they have injuries, as Laporte just does not rate him. He only starts in away matches where they are resting their regulars.

Of course Laporte may be a touch confused, Toulon describe him as a tighthead prop on their website.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Sun 24 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm

Glad they're letting him go so he can actually get back to playing some rugby. After demolishing everyone he faced in the 6 nations he is clearly the best LH they have available to them. Back home next season where he can be appreciated.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 25 Mar 2013, 8:30 am

I would take James anyway but with Jenkins going back to the Blues next season maybe Toulon won't stand in his way and let him go early, unles Sheridan picks up an injury before then.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Mon 25 Mar 2013, 9:26 am

red_stag wrote:I dont think Jenkins would be that big a loss. Healy is arguably as good an overall player and Paul James is a better scrummager. Ryan Grant, Vunipola and Marler are all good midweek players.

Agree. If it was up to me I'd probably have Healy as first choice anyway. If players choose to follow the money to France then they can't complain if they lose favour when it comes to national and/or Lions selection.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 26 Mar 2013, 9:28 am

Unless Corbs gets fit the Lions will be wanting to take Geth, Cian Healy and Paul James. Grant is a good back up..

After that not much about, possibly Bevington, great youngster, athletic for a Prop, similar to Gethin, but can scrum too.

Maybe Vunipolu, he played well with ball in hand against Quins this weekend, but didn't look good at scrummaging in the Six Nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down