The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxer Erik Morales banned for two years for failed drug test

+10
hazharrison
88Chris05
KO-KING
Strongback
Seanusarrilius
sweet_pea
jimdig
seanmichaels
School Project
bhb001
14 posters

Go down

Boxer Erik Morales banned for two years for failed drug test Empty Boxer Erik Morales banned for two years for failed drug test

Post by bhb001 Mon 25 Mar - 8:22

Source is the BBC web site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/21908211

So, is this the end of his career, considering he has been fighting for twenty years?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Boxer Erik Morales banned for two years for failed drug test Empty Re: Boxer Erik Morales banned for two years for failed drug test

Post by School Project Mon 25 Mar - 8:32

Has to be. Maybe he was going to retire anyway, it was a heavy KO he suffered against Garcia.

What surprised me the most is how the allowed him to fight in the first place. Didn't he test positive for clenbuterol well before the fight?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Boxer Erik Morales banned for two years for failed drug test Empty Re: Boxer Erik Morales banned for two years for failed drug test

Post by seanmichaels Mon 25 Mar - 8:49

Seems a bit harsh in comparison to other doping violations (in boxing)?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon 25 Mar - 8:59

Does this put a question mark over his career? Eric Morales, drug cheat. Mexican great? Boxing seems like the only sport where it doesn't really matter. Consider Ben Johnson.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by sweet_pea Mon 25 Mar - 11:55

he's banned from fighting in the US, not anywhere else. boxingscene quote him saying he's not arsed and will have a farewell fight in meh-hiko
sweet_pea
sweet_pea

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 25 Mar - 12:11

personally, I don't believe for a second Morales was a career drug cheat. He just cut corners at the end to make weight. No excuses and he should be banned. Stupid of him though, because question marks can now be raised. Retire El Terrible.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon 25 Mar - 12:59; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 25 Mar - 12:24

Seanusarrilius wrote:personally, I don't believe for a second Morales was a career drug cheat. He just cut corners at the end to make weight. No excuses and he should be banned. Stupif of him though, because question marks can now be raised. Retire El Terrible.

I agree that he probably took clembuterol to cut weight quickly.

It's hard to know when the drug problem really started in boxing. My guess is the 1970's with the problem getting progressively worse with every following decade. Steroids could be bought over the counter without a prescription in America up until 1981. With this in mind there is a reasonable possibility that 1990's fighters were using in increased numbers.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 25 Mar - 12:50

was probably going to retire anyway, it wasnt a PED so seems a bit harsh

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 25 Mar - 13:14

KO-KING wrote:was probably going to retire anyway, it wasnt a PED so seems a bit harsh

Governing body wants to show they are doing something so dish out a big (comparatively harsh) ban to a guy they know was retiring anyway.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Mon 25 Mar - 13:53

seanmichaels wrote:
KO-KING wrote:was probably going to retire anyway, it wasnt a PED so seems a bit harsh

Governing body wants to show they are doing something so dish out a big (comparatively harsh) ban to a guy they know was retiring anyway.

where was this against guys like peterson

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 25 Mar - 14:26

The only good news regarding this is that it'll hasten Morales' retirement, which should have come years ago. Some would argue that his return has enhanced his legacy a little bit - not for me, though.

It's alarming how quickly 'El Terrible' fell apart after that brilliant win against Pacquiao, which deserves to be remembered as one of the greatest by any fighter since the turn of the century. It's interesting that, after that win, Morales stated he felt as if he'd reached his absolute zenith and, by doing something that his arch rival Barrera couldn't do in handing Pacquiao a loss, he felt he had gained a unique satisfaction and sense of closure with his career and, as a result, could never quite get himself up for any subsequent fights he's had since.

Had he listened to his heart then and walked away, how highly would we be rating him, and how much better still would that victory over Pacquiao be looking had it never been avenged?
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 25 Mar - 14:36

KO-KING wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:

where was this against guys like peterson

I suspect they knew Morales wouldn't challenge the ban.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 25 Mar - 15:09

When the UFC first started, it pitted guys who were proficient in different martial arts to see who was the best, maybe they should adopt a similar approach with drugs.

When a fight is announced they should have a tombola on stage and then they can pull out a piece of paper with their chosen drug. "For the next six weeks fighter A will be using HGH and Fighter B will be off his face on disco biscuits."

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon 25 Mar - 15:49

I wonder how long he's been using that? He used to look like a human skeleton -- even in his pomp.

I thought he tested positive from eating contaminated beef in any case?

What a lark all of this PED business is. Morales couldn't give a flying f***. Why should he? No-one cares that Mosley, Berto and Peterson tested positive, so why should he worry?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 25 Mar - 16:01

seanmichaels wrote:

Think you have nailed it Sean, one would have to wonder if the governing bodies would have been so tough if Erik was in his mid 20s rather than his mid 30s. Easy to play tough with someone who was not certain to lace them up again irrespective.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 25 Mar - 16:14

Only need to look at cheat Peterson's 'sentence' by comparison.....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Mon 25 Mar - 16:28

Read something the other day about the Peterson v Holt test results. Some kind of controversy that they haven't released them in detail, just declared them negative which apparently is unusual. Claiming patient confidentiality.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 25 Mar - 16:33

I can't believe Peterson would be so stupid to cheat again.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 25 Mar - 22:47

88Chris05 wrote:The only good news regarding this is that it'll hasten Morales' retirement, which should have come years ago. Some would argue that his return has enhanced his legacy a little bit - not for me, though.

It's alarming how quickly 'El Terrible' fell apart after that brilliant win against Pacquiao, which deserves to be remembered as one of the greatest by any fighter since the turn of the century. It's interesting that, after that win, Morales stated he felt as if he'd reached his absolute zenith and, by doing something that his arch rival Barrera couldn't do in handing Pacquiao a loss, he felt he had gained a unique satisfaction and sense of closure with his career and, as a result, could never quite get himself up for any subsequent fights he's had since.

Had he listened to his heart then and walked away, how highly would we be rating him, and how much better still would that victory over Pacquiao be looking had it never been avenged?

i find that very easy to beleive, i can't think of any recent fights that had the intensity of the barrera/morales/pac man triangle. and i think he would have known that it was highly unlikely to be replicated.

that said im still glad he returned, the maidana fight was very competitive and entertaining, as was the first garcia fight, and he did pick up a title.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 26 Mar - 13:02

I just read that it was USADA that imposed the ban, which essentially means nothing.

The governing bodies will decide whether he would fight again and have an agreed sign off from the state athletic commissions. For example: WBC grant the fight and the promoter would then book somewhere like Texas (where USADA aren't used in boxing) and the fight could be made.

Sad isn't it!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by KO-KING Tue 26 Mar - 15:02

hazharrison wrote:I wonder how long he's been using that? He used to look like a human skeleton -- even in his pomp.

What a lark all of this PED business is. Morales couldn't give a flying f***. Why should he? No-one cares that Mosley, Berto and Peterson tested positive, so why should he worry?

Morales never took a ped

KO-KING

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Tue 26 Mar - 15:24

KO-KING wrote:
hazharrison wrote:I wonder how long he's been using that? He used to look like a human skeleton -- even in his pomp.

Morales never took a ped

Clenbuterol is a well known PED (it's been found in cyclists, Mexican soccer players and Major League Baseball) and as it was in his system it would indicate that Morales took one form of clenbuterol - either as a weight loss aid or as type B2 (in which case if it is a B2 then he would have used a chemically masked adrenergic).

So technially, Morales took a PED.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down