The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The WALES thread

+18
Scarpia
dogtooth
Cardiff Dave
sirtidychris
LordDowlais
ScarletSpiderman
mikey_philVIII
flyhalffactory
RubyGuby
majesticimperialman
gregortree
Ozzy3213
BigTrevsbigmac
welshboii15
bluestonevedder
RuggerRadge2611
Effervescing Elephant
Morgannwg
22 posters

Go down

The WALES thread Empty The WALES thread

Post by Morgannwg Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 pm

This thread is for Wales fans (not England fans) to discuss how good their team is and to discuss the state of the rugby nation. Now let's just take a look at a few things:

* Back to back champions in the 6 Nations.

* The BEST scrum in the 6 Nations. Completely dominated the much vaunted Italian, Scottish and English packs. All went backwards at an alarming rate.

* The BEST full back (Lee Byrne probably being joint second best) and points machine, who also picked up man of the tournament. Thoroughly deserved.

* The BEST scrum-half of the home nations.

* Holders of first and second best defensive record in the 6 Nations (this year we matched our second best record of 3, by not conceding tries in our last 4 games).

* Top try-scorers.

* The best captains (Ryan Jones, Gethin Jenkins and Sam Warburton).

So where to go from here?

Our starting XV is likely to be the Lions starting XV which means we have the tour to Japan to transition in some new players and give more game time to the fringe players. Despite missing a host of star players we should still go down to Japan with a good squad. I would expect names like Mitchell, James, Bevington, Rees, Davies, Coombs, Biggar, Beck, S.Williams, L. Williams to be involved with Rees most likely to be captain. Alternatively we could rest older players like him and take alternatives, which is a decent shout, but unlikely as McBryde has stated it is going to be a mix of experience and youth.

Rugby on the domestic front has been a fail again. The WRU need to come up with something NOW so that the Regions can keep their best players and get stronger. The Ospreys and Scarlets are expected to do well in the Rabo and one of which should make the play-offs. I'll back the Ospreys to do that because their forward pack is clearly the best in Europe...

Wales U20s lost out to the Grand Slam as most are aware, to another exceedingly talented and professional-esque England U20s in the final game. However we have once again unearthed a host of future internationals. Front row, back row and backline is covered for years to come. If this team has their best available players for the JWC they should do well yet again and we have a very winable group.

Wales Sevens seem to be progressing and stagnating again. The sevens RWC is coming up shortly and Wales need a big win to have the momentum and confidence to defend their title, seeing as we are the SEVENS WORLD CUP holders. A series win (which we just missed out on on the weekend) or a win against NZ (or SA) would do that.

So post Japan and Lions tours, to Autumn internationals and 2014 Six Nations, where do you see this Wales team going for the forseeable future?
Morgannwg
Morgannwg

Back to top Go down

The WALES thread Empty Re: The WALES thread

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Tumbleweed
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:57 pm

Still struggle with southern hemisphere opposition and Pacific Islanders though,

I also distinctly remember Ireland running riot against you lot too... or did that not happen?

Carry on anyway...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Awesome, a thread that English, Scottish, and Irish fans can come and graffiti on.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 pm

the OP is just asking for arguments its making us welsh all look big headed.

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

I also distinctly remember Ireland running riot against you lot too... or did that not happen?

Carry on anyway...

ireland only run riots for 40mins because if you remember correctly wales run riots for the second 40

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:05 pm

The damage was done though Welshboii15, this thread just sums up how pants this forum can be.

I have a good posting relationship with the bulk of Welsh posters here and as I said when we lost to you guys at Murrayfield, your nomadic supporters are always the best.

This sort of post tarnishes that reputation for me and is a pointless attempt to get a bite. He got a bite off me for being selective in the use of the facts, just as I was in my response.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:06 pm

welshboii15 wrote:the OP is just asking for arguments its making us welsh all look big headed.

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:

Carry on anyway...

ireland only run riots for 40mins because if you remember correctly wales run riots for the second 40
Score?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Gents, ignore this thread. You won't be getting a conversation about it from Morgannwg.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:09 pm

The WALES thread 1347041234

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:17 pm

Naughty step?
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:17 pm

picard :

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm

Morgannwg - I understand the Diplomatic Core are a little short staffed at the United Nations at the moment - Have you ever thought of sending over your CV - I can have a word with Koffi for you thumbsup

Last edited by RubyGuby on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 pm

school boy toilet humour vomit from a crass toilet humoured uni person vomit

block the stupid child vomit

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:43 pm

FHF - Your post does have a contradictory quality about it but we know what you mean thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:05 pm

RubyGuby wrote:FHF - Your post does have a contradictory quality about it but we know what you mean thumbsup

Edited it..... does that solve the contradiction in your mind?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 pm

This is a good thread and despite the attempts at derailing it courteousy of some childish comments and remarks from scottish posters it could start some debate amongst Wales fans (the same fans it seems this thread was intended for?).

I find it hard to argue against the majority of what is written in this thread. The turnaround from 8 losses to become back2back 6 nations champions is nothing short of remarkable. The guys showed nous and fantastic character from the latter half of that Ireland game and did not look back since. The form players got their opportunity from then on and stood tall. Not conceding a try in those renaming games was brilliant I thought. Where to go from here? Well as many have said, is getting wins more regularly over the big SH 3. Argentina and Samoa as good a pair of teams as they are were just blips for me. In the closing stages of this 6 nations our bench became a lot stronger. These fringe players will likely be starting against Japan and it will be a further test of their skills and character. These guys gaining experience will benefit the Wales team going forwards, this constituent along with our returning injured players and Lions coaches will see us in an even stronger position next year. If we pick up injuries like we had this season we will be in a much better place coping with them.

Next season will see a stronger Wales targeting the autumn series and defence of their 6 nations crown. Wales on the trophy in 05, 08, 12 and 13 according to the history books. Amen! Very Happy

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:12 pm

The WALES thread 1347041234

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:17 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:This is a good thread and despite the attempts at derailing it courteousy of some childish comments and remarks from scottish posters it could start some debate amongst Wales fans (the same fans it seems this thread was intended for?).

I find it hard to argue against the majority of what is written in this thread. The turnaround from 8 losses to become back2back 6 nations champions is nothing short of remarkable. The guys showed nous and fantastic character from the latter half of that Ireland game and did not look back since. The form players got their opportunity from then on and stood tall. Not conceding a try in those renaming games was brilliant I thought. Where to go from here? Well as many have said, is getting wins more regularly over the big SH 3. Argentina and Samoa as good a pair of teams as they are were just blips for me. In the closing stages of this 6 nations our bench became a lot stronger. These fringe players will likely be starting against Japan and it will be a further test of their skills and character. These guys gaining experience will benefit the Wales team going forwards, this constituent along with our returning injured players and Lions coaches will see us in an even stronger position next year. If we pick up injuries like we had this season we will be in a much better place coping with them.

Next season will see a stronger Wales targeting the autumn series and defence of their 6 nations crown. Wales on the trophy in 05, 08, 12 and 13 according to the history books. Amen! Very Happy

Mikey
Your post was fine and a good read, however the OPs was clearly intended to wind up (why state it was for the Welsh and Welsh only and wack it on the general site)

its inflammatory and set in such a way as to provoke and create division and conflict lets see

* The BEST scrum in the 6 Nations. Completely dominated the much vaunted Italian, Scottish and English packs. All went backwards at an alarming rate
. Utter rubbish and a clear dig and recent forum discussions

more of the same
* The BEST scrum-half of the home nations.

* The best captains (Ryan Jones, Gethin Jenkins and Sam Warburton).
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 pm

"The fish will only feed if someone is willing to scatter crumbs upon the slowly rippling waters of the the river rugby" Ancient Proverb - Rubus Gubbastuss 1899 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"The fish will only feed if someone is willing to scatter crumbs upon the slowly rippling waters of the the river rugby" Ancient Proverb - Rubus Gubbastuss 1899 thumbsup

Do you know Ruby....... you are damn right, why do I always take the bloody bait Doh steam furious censored boxing picard
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 pm

I don't know FHF but you see a red rag out there all the time - NO, you see a red rag with a dragon on it - Chill out my friend it gets in the way of your well informed opinions thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 pm

RubyGuby wrote:I don't know FHF but you see a red rag out there all the time - NO, you see a red rag with a dragon on it - Chill out my friend it gets in the way of your well informed opinions thumbsup

No you are incorrect mate, there are only few posters that make me sigh with despair........... there are mostly brilliant Welsh posters on here (Maes, Wales606, Spidey, the reverend, ruby hahah etc)

But we all know the usual suspect, and its not just me who thinks this

To be honest we all know Wales were a class above, deserved to win the 6Ns, did it in the right way fantastic defence and superb attacking intent, and going from strength to strength in general.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:36 pm

thumbsup Ale

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:44 pm

MODS appeal,
pl rename this more accurately: "The Wales Gloating Thread"

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm

gregortree wrote:MODS appeal,
pl rename this more accurately: "The Wales Gloating Thread"

How about the 'Very Small Minority Of Welsh Gloating Thread'? Seems more accurate, the majority of us are more concerned with a regional derby double header coming up, meaning we can get back to fighting amongst ourselves.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:45 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:I don't know FHF but you see a red rag out there all the time - NO, you see a red rag with a dragon on it - Chill out my friend it gets in the way of your well informed opinions thumbsup

No you are incorrect mate, there are only few posters that make me sigh with despair........... there are mostly brilliant Welsh posters on here (Maes, Wales606, Spidey, the reverend, ruby hahah etc)

To be honest we all know Wales were a class above, deserved to win the 6Ns, did it in the right way fantastic defence and superb attacking intent, and going from strength to strength in general.

Ahem, aren't you missing some one. angel

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:50 pm

One doth fear 606v2 desendeth into the realms of ye olde 606.

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:07 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Ahem, aren't you missing some one. angel

Ahem.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Okay so apart from a couple debatable points (Mike Phillips and the scrum) what is incorrect? The thread asks for an analysis on domestic, sevens and U20 rugby and the squad to tour Japan. I must admit although we have the players that can step up on international level the rugby on the domestic level makes me anxious.

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm

just the thread i was looking for. just wanted to say its still brilliant we did so well in the 6 nations. not so good we had a year long dip in form but the last grand slam still feels pretty good.

back to back tournament wins?!?!? never thought id be celebrating that sort of success.

can we do a hat trick of tournament wins. can we make the 6 nations our own for the next few seasons?

great thread.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_philVIII Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:40 pm

Dogtooth, those are the exact questions we should be asking. As I previously stated I think we will be in a stronger position to defend the title by next year. However will the failings of the Regions hinder out international progress? What could be done to improve the rugby at domestic level?

mikey_philVIII

Back to top Go down

Post by Scarpia Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:34 pm

sirtidychris wrote:One doth fear 606v2 desendeth into the realms of ye olde 606.

I so agree. When this site was first started I was assured that the WUMs would not be allowed to take over but it is happening. I recently reported a post for racism and have not even received an acknowledgement, let alone a judgement.

Scarpia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 pm

mikey_philVIII wrote:Dogtooth, those are the exact questions we should be asking. As I previously stated I think we will be in a stronger position to defend the title by next year. However will the failings of the Regions hinder out international progress? What could be done to improve the rugby at domestic level?

Wales are only going to get stronger. The only area of weaknes is creativity at center but with Cory Allen at 13 and Ashley Beck at 12 those problems will not exist by the time of the next world cup.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:36 pm

Morg, don't forget to edit in 'gloating' before 'thread'. This makes the product labelling much clearer for the 606 customers. Wales

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Dontheman Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Hate to rain on the parade Morg, or should I say piddle on my own doorstep, but did anyone listen to the scrum programme on R5 on thurs? Seems that the IRB scrum reconstruction program is going to come to fruition in Sept this year. Aimed at depowering the hit so that the ball can be put in straight into a stable scrum. Presently being trialled in sub S15 SH clubs and Fiji, Tonga and Japan A teams for introduction 12 months prior to RWC2015. Looks like everything is going to be up for grabs as they bring hooking back in to the game and the dynamics of the modern game changes means that the era of collapsing scrums and playing for penalties ends. It's a bit hard to imagine what happens next for Wales maybe fast open running rugby but who knows?

Dontheman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ospreydragon Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:22 pm

Donthema , If the IRB fix the scrum issues and we get back to a scrum where both sides engage (the hit is taken away), the ball has to be put in straight, then the sides can push, and the hooker has to do his job and hook, the game will be transformed. We would not only have a proper contest, but could see more tries scored from first phase. It would also be a real test of the technique of front row players, rather than sheer size, bulk and power. I'll believe it when I see it.

Ospreydragon

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Ospreydragon wrote:Donthema , If the IRB fix the scrum issues and we get back to a scrum where both sides engage (the hit is taken away), the ball has to be put in straight, then the sides can push, and the hooker has to do his job and hook, the game will be transformed. We would not only have a proper contest, but could see more tries scored from first phase. It would also be a real test of the technique of front row players, rather than sheer size, bulk and power. I'll believe it when I see it.

Spot on OK
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 pm

30-3

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content