The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sixties Psychedelic Music

5 posters

Go down

Sixties Psychedelic Music Empty Sixties Psychedelic Music

Post by Rowley Thu 28 Mar 2013, 4:43 pm

Am in the middle of a bit of a late sixties psychedelic phase at the minute but as a young slip of a lad it is all a bit before my time and there is a lot of guff to wade through so thought I would see if there were any kindred spirits out there who could point me in the way of some albums or hidden gems I may be unaware of before I spend my hard earned because us Yorkshire folks reputation for frugality is not a myth and I don’t want to waste my money.

Have got some bits and bobs by the Pretty Things, The Seeds and Thirteenth Floor Elevators but would welcome any tips as to the more obscure stuff because as I am sure you can all appreciate looking on amazon is not too helpful as every album on there appears to score five stars and is according to the reviewer an undiscovered classic.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Sixties Psychedelic Music Empty Re: Sixties Psychedelic Music

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:08 am

Late sixties psychedelic music? You're from Yorkshire, what the hell is the matter with you?

Thee's pulling tha leg.

I'm sure you want my advice, Jeff, so I would suggest you take a sh*t load of acid, stick on some Billy Bragg and it will do the same job.

Far out. Man.

*Word of caution; Don't visit any bars in Didsbury when you've dropped your acid. You're likely to get your face smashed in by a steroid enraged septic.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:24 am

Not really my kind of thing, Rowley.

However, I can impart one bit of wisdom and say try Spotify. The basic version is free and if you search out Pretty Things for example you can follow related artists from there and listen to albums in full before you decide to buy them or not.

You will get adverts every now and then on the free version, and I think that it limits how many times you can listen to songs but for trying albums out before deciding whether to buy it's really useful.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:29 am

You've made me feel really bad for not taking Jeff seriously now, sodhat.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:30 am

I saw your reply and I thought poor Jeff needed some real, friendly guidance. Not mocking, and references to angry Americans nutting people in the north.

It did raise a chuckle from me though.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

Cheers Sodhat

Despite my gruff Yorkshire exterior I am a man of some culture and do like a bit of variety when it comes to my music. You advise is more appreciated than Tina’s mocking tones. Can only assume he is still bitter about the fact I got Stone Roses tickets last year and he didn’t

You need to get some Seeds or 13th Floor Elevators in your life Tina, would say you'd thank me but I suspect you really would not.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:03 am

Did you get Stone Roses tickets? I hadn't realised.

I will have a listen to your late 60's hippy, mid-life crisis music. Just to make you happy.

Unlike yourself, I am not a Luddite and do already have Spotify so I will get on it.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:48 am

I saw The Stone Roses last year in the end too, it was only at V Festival in amongst a crowd that I sensed were a bit too into Rihanna though.

They were still excellent. I didn't even mind them going off on a 5 minute jazz odyssey after most songs.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:52 am

I'd love to be a bit into Rihanna.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:14 am

You've probably got a shot at her. As in a romantic shot, not a shot like Chris Brown had at her.

Too early in the morning for domestic violence jokes?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:19 am

Never too early, sodhat. Never too early.

She doesn't strike me as being too fussy, so yeah, I must have a chance.

Assuming, of course, that she goes for slightly tired looking white boys who may or may not be carrying a smidge more body fat that Chris Brown.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

Didn't expect many responses when I wrote this thread but even I never expected domestic abuse jokes and tina's chances or lack of them with Rihanna

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:29 am

You should be thankful for me and sodhat or this would have disappeared into the ether of 606v2 forgotten threads. Although it would be kept company by a whole host of your other offerings.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:41 am

Next time you post a well crafted piece on Charley Burley or Sam Langford, Rowley, I can always appear and steer it towards household abuse to get the comments up?

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon 22 Apr 2013, 9:05 pm

Pretty obvious but would recommend The Grateful Dead. Probably best to go for the live stuff as they were far better live than they were as a studio band. There are hundreds of different live albums if you're prepared to look hard enough but "Live Dead" is a good starting point and a great introduction to the band.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:13 pm

Cheers Super, downloaded it last night so will let you know what I think, knew there would be someone eventually who would contribute something useful to the thread.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Apr 2013, 12:31 pm

I contributed something useful in the very first post. Billy Bragg on acid, it works.

Some people can be so ungrateful.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:02 pm

Don't need acid to enjoy the majesty of Talking with the Taxman about Poetry Tina.

Rumours it is tophat's favourite album are largely unsubstantiated.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:20 pm

Oh so you like Bragg, Rowley? I always give you a 'good thread mate' when you talk about a black 'n' white boxer. Where were you when my thread needed hits, eh?

https://www.606v2.com/t32025-billy-bragg-workers-playtime-and-a-big-change-in-opinion

Tumbleweed
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:32 pm

Bit desperate, Gia. You're better than that.

I once wrote a thread about an obscure Irish heavyweight that got 2 replies and about 8 views. You don't know how much that hurt.

Have you watched City of Life and Death, yet?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:49 pm

A 25% post/view ratio isn't to be sniffed at mate.

Not got round to that film yet, no. I'll add another post to my Asian Film thread when I do though, no worries.
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:52 pm

I've helped you out Il, got to show some support for the Barking Bard.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:54 pm

Got to say it is depressing that a thread about 60's psychedelic music got more responses than nearly every thread in the top ten uncrowned champions series that I genuinely put some graft into on a sports forum.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:56 pm

True Jeff but at least this thread, after a slow start, is actually starting to become interesting.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:59 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:True Jeff but at least this thread, after a slow start, is actually starting to become interesting.

I would claim they were interesting rather than a rather transparent attempt to pick up an trophy at the end of season awards but I think we both know the truth.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 23 Apr 2013, 4:01 pm

Cheers Jeff!

I presume you've tried Love. The band, not the emotion. Their album Forever Changes is meant to be a bit of a psychedelia classic, is it not?
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Apr 2013, 4:03 pm

Have indeed got forever changes and a couple of others of theirs. Forever Changes is far and away the best, in fact would go as far as to say it is possibly my favourite sixties album. Highly recommended to anyone who cares.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

How dod you get on with Live Dead, jeff. Or are you still listening to the almost endless version of Dark Star?

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:09 pm

Enjoyed it mate. Have only listened it a couple of times as I found a website that has links to shedloads of stuff from that era on (all legal I am sure) so have got mountains of the stuff to get through, plenty of Electric Prunes and countless other bands nobody has ever heard of, some drivel to wade through but some absolute belters as well.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

Drivel seems to come with the territory. Have a mate who has several hundred live Dead concert recordings and some of them are appalling.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 26 Apr 2013, 2:22 pm

Tend to agree Superfly, some of it is about as close to unlistenable as you would ever want to get. Downloaded an album by a band called the United States of America, the first song is about the maddest thing I have ever listened to. Am determined to get it eventually though, is all part of my mid-life crisis.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down