The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adam Booth is even more of a <insert expletive here> than I first thought.

+7
ONETWOFOREVER
hogey
John Bloody Wayne
AlexHuckerby
Captain Charisma
Strongback
Commander
11 posters

Go down

Adam Booth is even more of a <insert expletive here> than I first thought. Empty Adam Booth is even more of a <insert expletive here> than I first thought.

Post by Commander Thu 28 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

JEFF POWELL:

Turning up for work yesterday involved hailing a London taxi to the press conference at which David Haye confirmed his comeback to the heavyweight ring.

As far as I was concerned it didn’t last long. No sooner had I arrived than Haye’s trainer-manager Adam Booth ordered me to leave. Never mind that I had been invited. Never mind that I have been covering this hard, old game for going on 40 years. But that’s how this gentleman is capable of behaving.

This was a first for me.

Never been banned before during decades of writing about a lexicon of boxers including Mike Tyson, Lennox Lewis, George Foreman, Ricky Hatton, Oscar De La Hoya, Evander Holyfield, Joe Calzaghe, Julio Cesar Chavez, James Buster Douglas, Sugar Ray Leonard, Chris Eubank, Nigel Benn, Michael Watson, Prince Naseem Hamed, Riddick Bowe and Marco Antonio Barrera.

And, of course, The Greatest of them all ... Muhammad Ali, who did not turn me away from his 70th birthday party in Louisville to which, like yesterday’s little get-together, I was invited.

Now the careers of Floyd Mayweather, Carl Froch, Manny Pacquiao, Amir Khan, the Klitschko brothers, Tyson Fury, Nathan Cleverly, Andre Ward, David Price and James DeGale are among works in progress. Oh... and David Haye.

This is the man who was happy to see me as one of only two national newspaper correspondents who took the trouble to travel to Paris to acclaim his world cruiserweight title victory over Jean-Mark Mormeck.

Subsequently he enjoyed my assessments that with his speed and power he had the capacity to reach up and challenge for the world heavyweight championship — and then the praise for succeeding in that ambition against the Russian giant Nikolai Valuev.

But as the vast majority of sportsmen understand, criticism is never just a one-way street.

There was no option but to frown upon Haye’s timid performance against Wladimir Klitschko and then the lame excuse of a fractured toe. Then condemnation was inevitable of the Munich brawl with Dereck Chisora which shamed the whole country as well as British boxing and for which Haye tried to lump all the blame on Chisora, even though he threw the first punch.

Writing about sport can never be all admiration, sunshine and roses. Differences of opinion can get heated.

Think Iron Mike’s escapades which made lurid headlines around the world.

Picture our Lennox raising his sunglasses at me in apparent anger after I scored his controversial first fight with Holyfield a draw, then bursting into laughter as he gave me a bear hug.

Booth was at Machiavellian pains to classify our conversation as ‘private.’ But it was as nasty and unpleasant as this little gang can sometimes be, as well as disgraceful in part. Of Haye himself, there was no sign before I took my leave.

Not that our readers should be concerned about any of this.

As always, I will continue to chronicle Haye’s career honestly, without fear or favour.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2300717/David-Haye-runs-scared-Daily-Mails-boxing-correspondent-Jeff-Powell.html

Commander

Back to top Go down

Adam Booth is even more of a <insert expletive here> than I first thought. Empty Re: Adam Booth is even more of a <insert expletive here> than I first thought.

Post by Strongback Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:03 am

Haye and Booth have a deluded sense of their own importance. The reality is they have no belt and now after the series of announcements about an announcement they have no opponent. Maybe nobody could listen to their garbage long enough to do a fight deal.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Adam Booth is even more of a <insert expletive here> than I first thought. Empty Re: Adam Booth is even more of a <insert expletive here> than I first thought.

Post by Captain Charisma Fri 29 Mar 2013, 12:44 am

To be honest, Jeff Powell is an absolute moron.

Captain Charisma

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:45 pm

Strongback wrote:Haye and Booth have a deluded sense of their own importance. The reality is they have no belt and now after the series of announcements about an announcement they have no opponent. Maybe nobody could listen to their garbage long enough to do a fight deal.

You're such a Haye nuthugger Strongback.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 29 Mar 2013, 5:59 pm

Captain Charisma wrote:To be honest, Jeff Powell is an absolute moron.

Scored the first Holyfield fight a draw.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 29 Mar 2013, 6:21 pm

Have met both and Adam Booth is a very decent bloke, Jeff Powell however is a complete prat of a man.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:03 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Strongback wrote:Haye and Booth have a deluded sense of their own importance. The reality is they have no belt and now after the series of announcements about an announcement they have no opponent. Maybe nobody could listen to their garbage long enough to do a fight deal.

Just stating the obvious really.

Haye and Booth have very few redeeming features. As I said they have a pumped up view of their own importance.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:07 pm

Adam Booth is someone I actually rather like. A cocky so and so, but he knows it, so it makes it alright.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:09 pm

Strongback wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Haye and Booth have very few redeeming features. As I said they have a pumped up view of their own importance.

You have far too much hate in your veins Strongback, I would suggest some anger management, or to learn to accept people for what they are a little better. You never know, you could end up actually liking somebody.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:22 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Strongback wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

You have far too much hate in your veins Strongback, I would suggest some anger management, or to learn to accept people for what they are a little better. You never know, you could end up actually liking somebody.

Many reasonable people dislike Haye and Booth Alex.

I don't know you well enough to make a character assessment but initial impressions aren't good.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 29 Mar 2013, 7:31 pm

Strongback wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:
Strongback wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:

Many reasonable people dislike Haye and Booth Alex.

I don't know you well enough to make a character assessment but initial impressions aren't good.

And thats fair enough Strongback, just that your comments on, well anyone in general are generally rather hateful. Positive comments from you are rarer than Paulie Malignaggi one punch KOs.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:31 pm

Haye is a joke.

He was meant to be retired, what happened? Seriously there are real fighters out there who are grafting why should we be concerned about Haye. He holds a press conference to state whay exactly?????

What happened to the blockbuster movie career???

Haye believes his time in the z list jungle proves that the public want to see him fight again????

Complete tool is Haye. Someone needs to spark into permenant retirement.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:38 pm

The fact that he is apparently going to work his way into a mandatory position has to mean something, naturall he is going to hold a press conference about his upcoming date for his fight. What is he gonna do start telling people about the fight the day its on?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Mar 2013, 8:57 pm

Acting career not going to well huh..... David ??..........

You're right Wlad isn't interesting in running after you all night....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri 29 Mar 2013, 9:14 pm

I can take or leave Haye but while Booth is a pretty talented guy I have seen casual interviews with him and my impression is he has an ego the size of .. err something huge.

Regardless of if Jeff Powell is a pleb or not he is an established boxing journalist and from the sounds of it Booth has let his ego get in the way of professionalism.

Sounds like he was sore about the Haye criticism when he should just except that in Hayes recent fights there has been valid criticism there, most of it brought on by him self.

They rely on journalists to bring them publicity and ultimately help make them lots of money.. Im sure he was not booting them out before Haye was so well known.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm

There was a time I liked Haye, hell I'll still watch any fight he has because in a heavyweight division devoid of talent, he has the ability and the power to bring excitement.
My problem with him is that I believe he is absolutely 100% only in it for the money and his ego. He reminds me of a politician, and I don't like politician's, he's like Tony Blair, once seen as a light, certainly had the talent and public backing to be a shining light, but revealed to be nothing more than spin and ego. Such a disappointment.

Last edited by jimdig on Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : vino induced spelling mistakes)

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 29 Mar 2013, 10:49 pm

I liked him when he got a glass on the head..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:06 pm

A boxer risking death in the ring should fight 100% for the money and nothing else.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 29 Mar 2013, 11:56 pm

azania wrote:A boxer risking death in the ring should fight 100% for the money and nothing else.

Such an obvious rhetorical response to make. Thoughtless really.
I believe boxers should be well paid for the risk they take, but I believe their own personal glory should be a key motivator. Kelly Pavlik retired recently because his heart wasn't in it, not because he wasn't going to make a 7 figure sum. And I fully back his retirement, why would you risk your life if your heart wasn't in it? for money?

Personally as a fan I think some boxers fight for more than money, and as a fan i'm drawn more to those that I believe fight for the glory of win. I'd even go as far to say that the K'bro's would consider legacy as a motivation, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered with Haye, on the other hand Haye looks at them and sees nothing more than ££££££

Hatton for all his criticism comes across as being totally in bits after Schenkenko, because he felt he's let the public down, can you foresee a similar scenario with Haye?

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:08 am

Remember Haye on BBC Breakfast directly after the Wlad fight. Still making excuses. It's bad when the breakfast team are sneering at you which happened to Haye.

The man has no shame and a level of self belief that boarders on a psychiatric condition. He thinks he can get away with anything or maybe he is so deluded he doesn't appreciate what's going on around him.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:16 pm

azania wrote:A boxer risking death in the ring should fight 100% for the money and nothing else.
In other words you are saying any dangerous sport should not be enjoyed or show passion?, just seen as a means to make decent money?

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down