The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Varsity Series

+2
Cari
Looseheaded
6 posters

Go down

Varsity Series Empty Varsity Series

Post by Looseheaded Fri 29 Mar 2013, 4:14 pm

For a whole now I've been thinking it could be a brilliant idea for Sky Sports or ESPN to possibly introduce a Varsity series to their programming.

By this I mean with each major city's match up soon to take place, the televising of these games would be cheap, easy entertainment and filler programming for their channels, as well as exposing talent to the world and raising funds for rugby societies involved. The Oxbridge Varsity Match gets both a good live turnout and television ratings, though obviously the other unis wont be of quite the same quality in most cases, but if this was a continued thing the added money and exposure would increase the skill level involved. Also graduates from other unis would encourage watching as they would have a side to support, as well as locals taking side based on their experience of the unis and their students.

Most big city varsity matches take place in local stadiums already, meaning that the company has the facility for high level filming and space for multiple cameras etc. All they'd need is to provide the crew and broadcast, but the actual amount of money it'd cost them in terms of paying off teams and buying rights would be minimal.

From the other side for lots of students the high membership costs are a deterrent to keep on playing once they reach Undergraduate, instead either quitting the sport or opting for local clubs. If one of these channels were to opt for something like this the money going to the sides could offset membership fees and pay for higher coaching and equipment. Depending on location, the governing bodies could also provide financial sponsorship, as through this they would see possibly unearthed talent.

Is this something you guys would watch, or at best give a shot if you had spare time and nothing better to do? A Varsity Series covering a month or so could be a decent enough thing on television

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Varsity Series Empty Re: Varsity Series

Post by Cari Sun 31 Mar 2013, 10:44 pm

The Cardiff v Swansea varsity match is always televised in Wales by S4C. I'm not sure who would pay for the rights of such an event given the viewing figures might not make it worthwhile if it was a regular event.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 02 Apr 2013, 4:53 pm

Think this would be a great idea loosehead. Like Cari says, the Swansea Cardiff match is always televised on S4C, but it would be great for it to be available here in England. It's a great atmosphere, and the rugby standard is suprisingly high- not too hard to believe since most are academy boys or on the books of large feeder clubs. Now i've left South Wales, I'd love to be able to watch the game live still, but can't.

As for Oxford vs. Cambridge, is that on tv? Again, i'd like to see that, but not really given the chance.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:14 pm

Looseheaded wrote:For a whole now I've been thinking it could be a brilliant idea for Sky Sports or ESPN to possibly introduce a Varsity series to their programming.

By this I mean with each major city's match up soon to take place, the televising of these games would be cheap, easy entertainment and filler programming for their channels, as well as exposing talent to the world and raising funds for rugby societies involved. The Oxbridge Varsity Match gets both a good live turnout and television ratings, though obviously the other unis wont be of quite the same quality in most cases, but if this was a continued thing the added money and exposure would increase the skill level involved. Also graduates from other unis would encourage watching as they would have a side to support, as well as locals taking side based on their experience of the unis and their students.

Most big city varsity matches take place in local stadiums already, meaning that the company has the facility for high level filming and space for multiple cameras etc. All they'd need is to provide the crew and broadcast, but the actual amount of money it'd cost them in terms of paying off teams and buying rights would be minimal.

From the other side for lots of students the high membership costs are a deterrent to keep on playing once they reach Undergraduate, instead either quitting the sport or opting for local clubs. If one of these channels were to opt for something like this the money going to the sides could offset membership fees and pay for higher coaching and equipment. Depending on location, the governing bodies could also provide financial sponsorship, as through this they would see possibly unearthed talent.

Is this something you guys would watch, or at best give a shot if you had spare time and nothing better to do? A Varsity Series covering a month or so could be a decent enough thing on television

Our Varsity series recieved a revamp 4 or 5 years ago, although it has a.ways been rather popular, thepopularity has increased a lot since the whole tournament is now televised.

There is a whole tournament with round robin matches and the top 8 universities take part.

There is now even a second tier which by memory has the next 6 varsities competing in another cup and then each university also enters their best "house" team for another cup.

Great fun, it has corporate sponsors and many of these players continue to play super rugby from there.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 03 Apr 2013, 9:20 am

That's such a great format Biltong. I would love to see that employed here in the UK.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 03 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

It is mate, but what makes it great is the fact that you have students in their thousands attend these matches, the marketing is actually quite good taken it is a rugby event in SA (which is usally not well done), they have a "beauty queen" prize at every match for the ladies, the man of the match gets a dozen (could be more, not sure) roses plus his prize, so he can even spoil the lady, and the students have great fun at these matches. It is akin to a fesitivity more than just a rugby match.

It is taken very seriously though, as the Community Cup (which is the amateur clubs in a similar tournament winner, plays the Varsity cup winner to establish the best non pro side in SA.

You could argue though that nothing is strictly amateur these days, there has been some controversy this year as the Super Rugby Franchises seems to have their hand in the pie with players (but then who doesn't these days)
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:28 pm

As an age-appropriate fan, I must say, I love Varsity Cup. And am excited to go to the final next week. I think the big unis will almost guatantee themselves a big crowd. Plus it creates a great breeding ground for players who werent maybe ready for club/franchise rugby straight-away. Eben Etzebeth went from a Varsity Cup alumni to probably the best lock in the tri-nations in 18 months.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:51 pm

Swansea verses Cardiff Varsity match this Wednesday! Those of you lucky enough to have S4C will be able to watch the game live I do believe.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:17 pm

Bangor failed to get to the University Challenge final last night.

But they were handicapped by having a Welshman on their side.

Wink

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:25 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:Swansea verses Cardiff Varsity match this Wednesday! Those of you lucky enough to have S4C will be able to watch the game live I do believe.

You're absolutely correct. From the S4C website:

The Welsh Varsity Match between Cardiff and Swansea universities from the Millennium Stadium. The game will be live on the S4C website at 7.30pm with another chance to view on S4C televison later in the evening at 11:00pm. Although Swansea have the best record in the competition, Cardiff are current cup holders following their great 2012 victory.

I could've sworn I saw it advertised live from the Liberty Stadium though... chin

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 24 Apr 2013, 12:10 pm

Thanks Cari. Should be a cracker- 2012 was a great game.

Think they had it at Liberty a few years ago, but now they've had it at Millenium, they can't exactly go anywhere else! The acropolis of Welsh rugby.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down