The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

David Haye - Has there been a more dis-likeable Boxer ??

+12
AlexHuckerby
Diggers
eddyfightfan
Lumbering_Jack
Imperial Ghosty
Makaveli
manos de piedra
Atila
Strongback
milkyboy
ShahenshahG
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

David Haye - Has there been a more dis-likeable Boxer ?? Empty David Haye - Has there been a more dis-likeable Boxer ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 10:55 am

"I don't want to be an action star I want to be like Deniro".........Do you have any idea how good Deniro is and how many top talented actors there are who aren't at his level or who can't get jobs!!!!!!!!! These guys would love to be Action stars!!!......Acting isn't an easy professsion bonehead!

"Wlad has said he doesn't want to fight me".......In other words you're suggesting he's ducking you.........That's right he still has nightmares of that one round you nicked off him!!

"Vitali broke his promise to fight me"....He's either a dishonorable Man or he's scared to fight you right.....Can't blame him I mean you ran his brother close.....and he should spend his life waiting on you..

Coupled with the toe incident..the Chisora stuff.......Poor old David is going to find out one day that the World doesn't revolve around him and no one cares.....

Most normal people would have had a check on their ego after the humiliation of Wlad but not this guy..

We remember the Wlad fight If you don't mate......Now sling your hook....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

David Haye - Has there been a more dis-likeable Boxer ?? Empty Re: David Haye - Has there been a more dis-likeable Boxer ??

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:00 am

Anthony Small, James Butler, but was there anyone more disliked than a young ali, Jack johnson or Sonny Liston in thier times?

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

David Haye - Has there been a more dis-likeable Boxer ?? Empty Re: David Haye - Has there been a more dis-likeable Boxer ??

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:04 am

Haye is a bit more high profile than Small and Butler...........

As for the other three well they had the redeeming features of being the undisputed heavyweight champions who's egos were more justifiable.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:28 am

There may have been one truss, but I'm struggling to think of one more deserving of the title than the toe curdling smugmeister

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:36 am

Never cared much for Bobby czyz who also had delusions of grandeur....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:50 am

Haye brushes over the bad stuff as if people don't have a memory or even a brain. He and Booth really believe people will buy into anything. Judging by the comments on the recent BBC article on Haye the public have had enough of him.

It's the ego and deluded sense of self importance that are most annoying. With Booth pulling the levers they really believe they are the centre of the boxing universe.

Booth is even more dislikeable but he has and will be successful because his massive ego and talent will take him there.

Out of the ring Haye is the most dislikable I have seen, inside the ring that would be Naz hands down for the way he disrespected vastly inferior opponents.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:50 am

Hatton, Leonard and Eubank come quickly to mind. But yes you're right, Haye is very dislikeable.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

Did Smalls actually annoy anybody? I thought he was more of a joke, somebody that was openly ridiculed for being a clown. Jihad picard

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:54 am

Why Hatton ???

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 30 Mar 2013, 11:59 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why Hatton ???
I thought he was overrated and I honestly never thought he had a chance against Mayweather. Also I never liked that he never fought Witter. His reasons for not doing so sounded stupid to me.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:00 pm

Your reasons don't seem to be personal......more career choice and talent orientated..

Still..fairplay.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:02 pm

Hes one of the biggest waffling, hypocrytical and cynically money making boxers Ive witnessed but given some of the characters there have been in sport I dont think he is up there with the worst. His biggest crime is just being an unapologetic second hand salesman. He hasnt actually killed anyone, beat up on women or ran with the mob (as far as I know).

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:04 pm

I'm sure a lot of career criminals are charming and likeable.....

Remember...that Dicaprio film.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:12 pm

Tyson Fury for me, calls out a UFC champion, runs down price then refuses to fight him, disrespects wlad, Not that im fond of david haye either but for me fury is way more dislikable.

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:13 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Hes one of the biggest waffling, hypocrytical and cynically money making boxers Ive witnessed but given some of the characters there have been in sport I dont think he is up there with the worst. His biggest crime is just being an unapologetic second hand salesman. He hasnt actually killed anyone, beat up on women or ran with the mob (as far as I know).

A lot of those guys that did bad things were not disliked when they fought. Even when people found out about their nasty side they were not necessarily as disliked as some of the trash talkers.

Continual trash talk without delivery must rank as one of the biggest crimes in boxing.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:15 pm

Agreed...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:26 pm

Strongback wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:Hes one of the biggest waffling, hypocrytical and cynically money making boxers Ive witnessed but given some of the characters there have been in sport I dont think he is up there with the worst. His biggest crime is just being an unapologetic second hand salesman. He hasnt actually killed anyone, beat up on women or ran with the mob (as far as I know).

A lot of those guys that did bad things were not disliked when they fought. Even when people found out about their nasty side they were not necessarily as disliked as some of the trash talkers.

Continual trash talk without delivery must rank as one of the biggest crimes in boxing.

Maybe not, but my point is they deserve to be.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:29 pm

As long as he knocks out a couple of the fat useless bastewards I couldn't care less what he says, at the end of the day he's made a bucketload of money because of his mouth and it leaves the rest of you coming across as quite pathetic that it bothers you all so much.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 30 Mar 2013, 12:42 pm

There isn't much hope for society really is there?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:04 pm

People are jealous of success. Haye earns millions for doing not a lot and most of the people who hate him are probably sitting on an average wage wishing they had more.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:11 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:People are jealous of success. Haye earns millions for doing not a lot and most of the people who hate him are probably sitting on an average wage wishing they had more.

I never get that argument with regards to disliking rich and famous sportsmen. Surely every top athlete would be hated then? There are richer and more successful athletes than Haye who are not as disliked. I think its just the way Haye carries on that make alot of people dislike him, as opposed to how much money he has. Ifone was going to be bitter and jealous of an athletes wealth, talent and success why would they pick Haye?

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:19 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:People are jealous of success. Haye earns millions for doing not a lot and most of the people who hate him are probably sitting on an average wage wishing they had more.

I never get that argument with regards to disliking rich and famous sportsmen. Surely every top athlete would be hated then? There are richer and more successful athletes than Haye who are not as disliked. I think its just the way Haye carries on that make alot of people dislike him, as opposed to how much money he has. Ifone was going to be bitter and jealous of an athletes wealth, talent and success why would they pick Haye?

He probably wears suits costing 801 pounds

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:20 pm

They don't have Hayes personality though. He is brash, loud and flashy, everything people hate when it comes with money. If he was your average guy trying to better himself I don't think people would care.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

Shah is one of those people. Probably a bit upset he didn't try harder at school.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:24 pm

Atila wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why Hatton ???
I thought he was overrated and I honestly never thought he had a chance against Mayweather. Also I never liked that he never fought Witter. His reasons for not doing so sounded stupid to me.

Amongst the hagler Leonard stuff, we can find mutual ground on hatton Atila. Always more a Eubank than Benn man myself though... Probably Wont surprise you!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:26 pm

Laugh Ive actually been warming to him lately seeing as he is going to fight somebody rather than just telling us he's the best. Thats ok though sweetheart you just put your wittle rubber ducky on the Poopie youve done in your wittle bath and pretend everyone is jealous that you are based on the canary islands. Hug

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

Get back to your building site. Lacky

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:29 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:They don't have Hayes personality though. He is brash, loud and flashy, everything people hate when it comes with money. If he was your average guy trying to better himself I don't think people would care.

I think the same would hold true if he didnt have money though. He could be broke and carry on in the same manner and I think he would still split opinion. I actually dont think Haye is a guy that neccessarily rubs peoples face in his wealth. I think its just his general behaviour that makes him disliked by some and liked by others. The only way I think money factors into it is the fact hes so cynical in his attempts to get it that irratates people.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:31 pm

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Get back to your building site. Lacky

kiss

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:35 pm

manos de piedra wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:They don't have Hayes personality though. He is brash, loud and flashy, everything people hate when it comes with money. If he was your average guy trying to better himself I don't think people would care.

I think the same would hold true if he didnt have money though. He could be broke and carry on in the same manner and I think he would still split opinion. I actually dont think Haye is a guy that neccessarily rubs peoples face in his wealth. I think its just his general behaviour that makes him disliked by some and liked by others. The only way I think money factors into it is the fact hes so cynical in his attempts to get it that irratates people.

He wouldn't be particularly well known if he was broke though was he, the way he's conned the public into building up his multi million pound bank balance I imagine is a major factor.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:36 pm

manos de piedra wrote:

It was more about his boxing for me - If he has beaten Arreola Povetkin etc I don't think there'd be much cause to dislike him and he wouldn't even need to sell himself so much. It just ended up like that Charlie Chaplin boxing sketch.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:39 pm

i like haye, but honestly the only time i pay him any attension is when he is actually on his way down to the ring to fight, anything else he says inbetween is to keep people talking about him. the only problem with him is he would prefer bad press over no press

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:48 pm

I just think his personality and the way he acts is always going to split general opinion irrespective of money or even who he beats. It was the same with Naz. The thing about Haye is that he isnt the fan friendly kind of boxer that he makes out. So far in his career he hasnt really done anything that warrants a strong defence of him. He was a big let down against Wlad, his heavyweight career has been lukewarm and he isnt even all that inclined to fight regularly or against similarly ranked challenges (hopefully that changes). But delivering fights like Audley and non performances against Wlad only to then sit on the sidelines and start shouting about broken toes, rematches and how he is being avoided (again) isnt endearing stuff. It generates debate for sure but when you step back from it its really just been bluster and salesmanship when most fans would prefer action.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:50 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
manos de piedra wrote:

He wouldn't be particularly well known if he was broke though was he, the way he's conned the public into building up his multi million pound bank balance I imagine is a major factor.

Who has he conned? It's not like he was running an illegal Ponzi scheme. People know what boxing is like and if they bought the Audley and Wlad fights after watching Valuev expecting to see fireworks then they are stupid.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sat 30 Mar 2013, 1:56 pm

manos de piedra wrote:I just think his personality and the way he acts is always going to split general opinion irrespective of money or even who he beats. It was the same with Naz. The thing about Haye is that he isnt the fan friendly kind of boxer that he makes out. So far in his career he hasnt really done anything that warrants a strong defence of him. He was a big let down against Wlad, his heavyweight career has been lukewarm and he isnt even all that inclined to fight regularly or against similarly ranked challenges (hopefully that changes). But delivering fights like Audley and non performances against Wlad only to then sit on the sidelines and start shouting about broken toes, rematches and how he is being avoided (again) isnt endearing stuff. It generates debate for sure but when you step back from it its really just been bluster and salesmanship when most fans would prefer action.

Agree to that point, hence the charlie chaplie reference regarding his fight with wlad - I just reckon he wouldn't need that crap if he was knocking over the challengers.

ShahenshahG

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Mar 2013, 3:06 pm

If Haye is so unliveable how come he could be dropped into a jungle with a bunch of strangers in stressful conditions..and they all really liked him.
I see him outside his gym near Picadilly Circus quite regularly, often having a coffee and just chilling and there is nothing look at me about him , quite the contrary in fact, very low profile.
I think people often struggle to differentiate the spin from the man and Haye is a case in point.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 30 Mar 2013, 3:14 pm

He sells himself and does it well, people dislike that.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Mar 2013, 3:19 pm

He sells an image of himself, he does that well. He clearly doesn't care if people choose to see him as the bad guy. It's all marketing but if you look past that I think he seems like a pretty OK bloke

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 30 Mar 2013, 3:25 pm

Diggers wrote:He sells an image of himself, he does that well. He clearly doesn't care if people choose to see him as the bad guy. It's all marketing but if you look past that I think he seems like a pretty OK bloke

Same. Struggle to think he's all doom and gloom.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sat 30 Mar 2013, 4:56 pm

Think you sometimes buy into more than just the fight when you buy in to boxing. In that respect Haye is good value. There was more action in the Chisora brawl than the vast majority of Mayweathers fights in the last 5 years. Some of it is cringeworthy but eastenders somehow pulls in 10 million plus 2/3 times a week.

Haye still has plenty of time for redemption. Not saying I think he will get it, but not going to knock it. After all, people were crying out for him to build up a mandatory status and it seems that is the road he's travelling.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:07 pm

Diggers wrote:If Haye is so unliveable how come he could be dropped into a jungle with a bunch of strangers in stressful conditions..and they all really liked him.
I see him outside his gym near Picadilly Circus quite regularly, often having a coffee and just chilling and there is nothing look at me about him , quite the contrary in fact, very low profile.
I think people often struggle to differentiate the spin from the man and Haye is a case in point.

He says he wants to be de Niro... Maybe his whole boxing career is a brilliant piece of method acting.

Of course the alternative theory is that he goes on a tossy 'stressful' tv show, to show off his butt and get an image makeover whilst trying to convince everyone that he was just selling fights. Think most of us have been fight fans long enough to get the concept of pantomime villain. Some of my favourite fighters have hammed it up. I Just find Hayes brand way too smug and self satisfied.

By the way digs, hanging round gyms when you never go in one, is called stalking.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:47 pm

I don't think many people manage to go into the jungle for several weeks with no food without showing some of their true nature, if he did manage it then he really is a good actor.
The question was is he really dislikable, the other dozen or so people on the show didn't think so any the people watching didn't seem to either.
I'm not so sure about your theory about people spotting spin, just because you watch a bit of boxing doesn't make you a marketing expert (as you well know) or a good judge of personality (as you well know).
I think Haye is a bit more complex and a fair bit smarter than most boxers, I don't think he is a saint, I just don't find him that unpleasant.

Last edited by Diggers on Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:56 pm

We're all talking about him. Whether you like him or not, he has done his job. Whistle

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Sat 30 Mar 2013, 5:58 pm

OK
Mr Bounce wrote:We're all talking about him. Whether you like him or not, he has done his job. Whistle

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:09 pm

Diggers wrote:I don't think many people manage to go into the jungle for several weeks with no food without showing some of their true nature, if he did manage it then he really is a good actor.
The question was is he really dislikable, the other dozen or so people on the show didn't think so any the people watching didn't seem to either.
I'm not so sure about your theory about people spotting spin, just because you watch a bit of boxing doesn't make you a marketing expert (as you well know) or a good judge of personality (as you well know).
I think Haye is a bit more complex and a fair bit smarter than most boxers, I don't think he is a saint, I just don't find him that unpleasant.

You were suggesting people are buying into the jordan not the katie price. That might well be true for some.

i was suggesting that its possible to recognise he might be flogging a fight, and still not like him.

Of course, I may now potentially, dislike him enough to pay to watch him lose, so perhaps I've been suckered in... even more reason not to like him. Wink

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:25 pm

All depends what side of the fence you sit, was the Haye in the jungle the real him or is it the smug loud mouth constantly bad mouthing the brothers?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:26 pm

My problem isn't his mouth...It's his lack of reality.....and his taking everybody for idiots..

Like anyone to succeed........Just the whole toe thing....The Deniro stuff and the Wlad/Vit ducking him business.........

It wears thin..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:26 pm

Of course it's possible as you suggest to just dislike him, however as at least half the posts on here seem to be based on people's dislike of various fighters who they don't actually know from Adam, I actually suspect an awful lot more people buy into all the promotion than you might think.
There have been a few thoroughly despicable rouges on boxing over the years, pure evil guys like say Gerald McClelland or bully's and violent abusers like Tyson.
Haye might well be a bit smug, after all he is loaded, not bad looking, pretty smart and seriously hard, but he is certainly not in that kind of league.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:29 pm

It isn't promotion to be selling Movie action stars short when you haven't appeared in a movie.....

It isn't promotion to be getting your toe out........

Just lack of class..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 30 Mar 2013, 6:35 pm

He's right though, most action movie stars are utter gash.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next