The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Hope You Were Watching Gilles And Janko!

4 posters

Go down

I Hope You Were Watching Gilles And Janko! Empty I Hope You Were Watching Gilles And Janko!

Post by hawkeye Mon 01 Apr 2013, 1:36 am

Gilles Simon and Janko Tipsarevic have recently been very vocal in their criticism of the WTA. I hope they were watching Saturdays Miami final between Serena and Sharapova although I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't... Pfft!

If they had watched perhaps could have learned a thing or two. Both players produced some stunning tennis. Made some recent ATP matches look poor in comparison. High winner count and low unforced error count. Although from where I was sitting the "unforced errors" looked forced. Highly professional attitude from both and enough charisma to fill a stadium twice the size. The match had drama too. Sharapova took the first set 6-4. The second set saw the lead switching to both players before Serena turned into a tennis superwoman. She took that set 6-3 and then the final set 6-0. The final set was not one of those final set bagels were one player sort of gives up. Sharapova fought until the end and was playing extremely well. No way did she want to accept a bagel... But Serena was just awesome! In fact if Federer, Nadal and Djokovic were watching that last set I bet it was from behind a sofa.

The packed crowd looked like they more than got their monies worth Very Happy

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

I Hope You Were Watching Gilles And Janko! Empty Re: I Hope You Were Watching Gilles And Janko!

Post by socal1976 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:39 am

Well hawk, I have never been a fan of the WTA but I will say this the woman of tennis do play a pretty high level in comparison to woman footballers or basketball players. Watching women's basketball is slightly less painful than a kick in the balls. Never been a fan of the WTA but I actually like Aza, sharapova, Anna I, and stosur.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

I Hope You Were Watching Gilles And Janko! Empty Re: I Hope You Were Watching Gilles And Janko!

Post by kingraf Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:53 am

Look, the fact that you this type of thread only comes out once in a blue moon is a sign that High-quality matches are few in WTA. Also, I dont think Simon and Tipsarovic have a problem with equal play in Slams/Tier I, its in the slams where the is a disparity in "work hours" but equality in pay, where the they are up in arms.

Personally, I dont mimd equal pay. In sports it your drawing power, not work rate, that determines your pay. Otherwise Usain Bolt wouldnt be paid six-figures for 10seconds work, while Murray makes similar for winning a week-long tourney, playing for hours on end. That said, I think its a bit "high horse" to expect all the male tennis players to keep their mouths shut. Its just a pity that its the ones who dont draw that cant shut up.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:42 am

Old school, 90s multi-skilled trained Williams is on a different planet to today's drill hitters when she's on her game. At 3-2 down in the 2nd set she woke up and reeled off 10 games. She hands out bagels and breadsticks for fun on the women's tour. Sharapova is pretty slow around court, always was, and Serena shows that up perfectly. She's a great player but exposes the woefully inadequate all court games of today's younger WTA players. ATP, hope you were watching.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

The problem with todays drill hitters, Lydian, is they arent even good at that!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down