The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The worst beatings in the ring since 2000

+23
rodders
davidemore
Rowley
jammin
mikeymax71
Bigman666
88Chris05
manos de piedra
Strongback
azania
RanjitPatel
BallchinianMuffwig
Cast a Shadow
TRUSSMAN66
Mr Bounce
John Bloody Wayne
Diamond in the rough
bellchees
eddyfightfan
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Imperial Ghosty
AlexHuckerby
Seanusarrilius
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The worst beatings in the ring since 2000 Empty The worst beatings in the ring since 2000

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:36 pm

Ok peeps. Which fighters have received the worst beatings in the ring since 2000?

I will get the ball rolling.

Vitali's beat down on Briggs. Sustained and career ending.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

The worst beatings in the ring since 2000 Empty Re: The worst beatings in the ring since 2000

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

Thought that Rios' on John Murray was pretty damn bad.

Margs plaster hands on Cotto.

Margarito then took a pretty hefty beatdown from Mosley, though not THAT bad.

Pac on Marg was worse than the SSM one.

Pac on Cotto was also bad.

Suppose for the two rounds it lasted Pac on Hatton.

Also Pac on Barrera 1.

De La Hoya Vargas?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

The worst beatings in the ring since 2000 Empty Re: The worst beatings in the ring since 2000

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:51 pm

They are all GREAT examples of pain and suffering. Which did you enjoy least, most? Ha

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:54 pm

One I enjoyed least was either Marg on Cotto, or Pac on Hatton. They were among my favourite boxers at the time, and it hurt to watch it. Especially just the total and untter destruction of Hatton. Couldn't believe my eyes at the time.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

Only one I enjoyed properly was Marg being taken to the cleaners by SSM. Enjoy even more now in retrospect.

The rest were just fights I enjoyed I guess, because I liked both boxers.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 01 Apr 2013, 2:58 pm

Mayweather gave Gatti a real good beating, not as violent and destructive as some others but it became quite difficult to see.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 01 Apr 2013, 3:00 pm

B-Hops beatdown of Trinidad became hard to watch towards the end. Totally outclassed and was just wobbling about towards the end before just simply not being able to stand up.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon 01 Apr 2013, 3:36 pm

JMM vs Katsidis is another one, although it was more competitive than the others. Katsidis pushed the action but after the their when he scored the knockdown Marquez was ripping him to the head and body. Can't remember the compubox stats but JMM had landed 65-70% of his power punches

Matthysse-Olusegun was bad due to the fact Olusegun just wouldn't hit the floor

Kirkland by a hell of a beating on Angulo after Angulo punched himself out after a great first round for both

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 01 Apr 2013, 3:44 pm

alvarez gave lopez a hammering, and that was after he handed ortiz quite a beating before hand

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 01 Apr 2013, 4:04 pm

Donaire vs Sydorenko was not pretty while it lasted.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 01 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

bellchees wrote:Donaire vs Sydorenko was not pretty while it lasted.

Face was a total mess.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 01 Apr 2013, 4:35 pm

Mayweather gatti was a beating

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:18 pm

Calzaghe v Lacy

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

Audley's career??

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:35 pm

Margy's beat down of Cotto was a sobering affair..............

Before 2000.........but Chavez beat the crap out of a guy called Dwight Pratchett in his 130 days........Got awfully beat up in a one sided thrashing.......His corner was so inept it lost his gumshield and he ended up getting plastered without one...

Had ten kids Pratchett and was finished after that fight...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:39 pm

Choi vs Derry Matthews was a seriously nasty and sustained beating. Roles reversed it would probably have been stopped about two rounds before it was.

Choi's performance that night was intense, vicious, brutal and utterly destructive. Was quite obvious from about round two that Derry was going to take some serious punishment.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Mon 01 Apr 2013, 5:43 pm

Viloria vs segura was hard to watch after seguras head being double the size

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm

Vitali Klitschko-Danny Williams was rough.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

Pacquaio v De la Hoya. Not on the same scale of some others but would have been if Dlh hadn't been pulled out.
I found it hard to watch and maybe a reason why I've never warmed to Pacquaio.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:06 pm

Douglas beating of Tyson was severe as it was shocking.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:09 pm

Vitali on Briggs was sick but a lot of that was Briggs ego. He was eating shots just to show he could take em and still stand up.

These is something unpleasant about Vitali not being able to deliver a knock out punch. He ends up looking like a tormentor playing with a trapped animal. The night of the Ademek fight Vitali just clubed him around the ring for 12 rounds. I felt sorry for Ademek.

Pacquiao fairly smashed up Margarita's face.

I'm am trying to think of an example of where the ref should have stepped in and didn't. Amir Khan was let fight on with very wobbly legs a few times.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:09 pm

double post

Last edited by Strongback on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm

Strongback wrote:

I'm am trying to think of an example of where the ref should have stepped in and didn't. Amir Khan was let fight on with very wobbly legs a few times.

Shame Choi vs Matthews is not up on YouTube - certainly qualifies, especially after Matthews 'lost his gumshield' with the count at eight.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:15 pm

The thing about Vitali v Briggs was that it was IJL reffing. This is a guy who will stop a fight in the UK at times if a decent punch is landed but allowed Briggs to take a appalling beating. One on the more obvious examples that he doesnt really have a clue.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:17 pm

Strongback wrote:I'm am trying to think of an example of where the ref should have stepped in and didn't.

Look no further. Roy Jones against Richard Hall, 2000.

The definition of carrying and torturing an opponent and, to be honest, after three or four rounds it stopped being a great exhibition of boxing by Jones and just became butchery that you can only watch through parted fingers.

Hall was down twice and battered all over the place in the opener, out on his feet for much of the second before Jones basically just decided to draw the whole execution out for much, much longer than he need have. Hall was so overmatched that Roy could basically do as he pleased, and he did just that; he barely threw a jab to set up an attack, instead opting to just bombard Hall with sickening hooks and uppercuts, wound up bolo punches, danched on the spot, turned southpaw, hung his chin out with impunity, etc. He could have ended the fight any time he chose but, for reasons beyond my comprehension, prolonged the agony.

To be fair to Hall, his performance was incredibly brave and stubborn, but even the rounds in which he didn't get knocked down in could easily have been 10-8 for Roy (and at least three of them were), and the fact that neither the referee Wayne Kelley nor Hall's cornerman Aaron Snowell decided to either step in or pull his man out before the eleventh was absolutely disgraceful, in my opinion.

And then, when the end finally did come in the eleventh, Kelley was appallingly slow to step in once Jones had Hall backed up hopelessly in a corner, the brave challenger taking at least ten heavy shots which he had no business taking had the referee or Snowell actually done their duties.

The whole thing got so ridiculous that Larry Merchant, after the fight, went so far as to say "That referee should be pistol whipped for letting that beating continue."

An absolutely horrific and truly barbaric beating, and I'm struggling to think of many worse in the past thirteen years.

Last edited by 88Chris05 on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:28 pm

I haven't seen that fight Chris. Having read your description I am thinking I might give it a miss.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:30 pm

Floyd against Corrales. Mayweather put on a sustained boxing masterclass that turned Corrales into a complete punchbag. Diego was down 5 times in the fight and his corner finished it for him to spare him further injury and humiliation.

Both were unbeaten, both were considered to be at the top of their game. We now know just how much better Floyd was. I still don't think he has ever fought better. And I was also amazed that Diego fought (and fought well) again.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigman666 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:43 pm

Calzaghe v Lacey was one of the most one sided Ive seen, great to watch

Bigman666

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

88Chris05 wrote:
Strongback wrote:I'm am trying to think of an example of where the ref should have stepped in and didn't.

The definition of carrying and torturing an opponent and, to be honest, after three or four rounds it stopped being a great exhibition of boxing by Jones and just became butchery that you can only watch through parted fingers.

Hall was down twice and battered all over the place in the opener, out on his feet for much of the second before Jones basically just decided to draw the whole execution out for much, much longer than he need have. Hall was so overmatched that Roy could basically do as he pleased, and he did just that; he barely threw a jab to set up an attack, instead opting to just bombard Hall with sickening hooks and uppercuts, wound up bolo punches, danched on the spot, turned southpaw, hung his chin out with impunity, etc. He could have ended the fight any time he chose but, for reasons beyond my comprehension, prolonged the agony.

To be fair to Hall, his performance was incredibly brave and stubborn, but even the rounds in which he didn't get knocked down in could easily have been 10-8 for Roy (and at least three of them were), and the fact that neither the referee Wayne Kelley nor Hall's cornerman Aaron Snowell decided to either step in or pull his man out before the eleventh was absolutely disgraceful, in my opinion.

And then, when the end finally did come in the eleventh, Kelley was appallingly slow to step in once Jones had Hall backed up hopelessly in a corner, the brave challenger taking at least ten heavy shots which he had no business taking had the referee or Snowell actually done their duties.

The whole thing got so ridiculous that Larry Merchant, after the fight, went so far as to say "That referee should be pistol whipped for letting that beating continue."

An absolutely horrific and truly barbaric beating, and I'm struggling to think of many worse in the past thirteen years.

Weren't the two fighters friends outside the ring also, or am I imagining that?

Would make a beatdown like that even harder to explain...

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:26 pm

Mayweather/Gatti and Calzaghe/Lacey were terrible beatings and Gatti at the time was lucky enough to have a compassionate corner and did not make him suffer the full 12 rounds like Lacey had to.

I would also add Lewis/Tyson was a a sad to watch beat down as Tyson was only competitive for the first round and then ate everything Lennox threw at him

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:40 pm

Froch v Bute?
Maybe not long enough but the sustained and relentless hammering he took from round three on was nasty. This is an undefeated champion and betting favourite at times just running and looking visibly scared. Remains to be seen whether he'll be the same again...

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:36 am

88Chris05 wrote:

Definitely second that. An interesting note about this fight, a drug test showed that both Jones and Hall tested positive for an anabolic steroid. Nothing happened past that.

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:47 am

BallchinianMuffwig wrote:Vitali Klitschko-Danny Williams was rough.

Good call BM, am by no means a squeamish fellow when it comes to watching fights but got to be honest found that one heavy going. Williams is a fighter of many faults but heart was never one of them and he was brave to the point of follishness in that one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:49 am

Hatton vs Mayweahter

Rios vs Alvarado

Froch vs Taylor

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:51 am

Nothing beats Duran vs Moore.....Or Hilton v Benitez...............

Going back further Griffiths v Paret 3 and Williams v Jack spring to mind.........

Starling vs Honeyghan and Breland vs Honeyghan were sound thrashings I seem to recall............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

get out of the past TRUSS and read the title of this thread. you got no respect.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

Don't get emotional..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 02 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

you a trifling man. go comment on my thread, bucko.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 11:04 am

Trifle.........Not had that in years....

cheesecake now you're talking.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 02 Apr 2013, 11:09 am

uncultured fool.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 02 Apr 2013, 11:12 am

Davide, lets not please. Is first day back at work on the back of a long weekend, none of us need it today.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 02 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

here comes the thought police. Rowley, I been at work five days straight working ten hour shifts. I don't need this.

Let's keep it boxing.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:19 pm

So he quotes 1984.
Love it.

davidemore vs society. An ongoing beating, from which neither will emerge unscathed.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 02 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

Scott Harrison v Wayne McCullough.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 02 Apr 2013, 6:32 pm

floyd v marquez

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:08 pm

When Morales fought for the WBC light welter belt, he gave Cayo an absolute hammering, busted his face to pieces.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 9:51 pm

Tim Bradley got a bit of a huge pasting the other week.....

I'd also say Pacquiao vs De La Hoya along with Martinez vs Chavez Jr.

Pavlik getting torn apart by Hopkins was a pure lesson.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:34 pm

bradley did win the fight, i wouldnt call that a beating

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 02 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

One of the worst beatings was Chavez against Taylor and there was only one winner of that fight before the knockout.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Wed 03 Apr 2013, 10:48 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Tim Bradley got a bit of a huge pasting the other week.....

It's a good point about Bradley. He was really woozy after the fight. Completely forgetful when getting interviewed. Guaranteed he sustained more health-damaging punishment in that win than he did in all his other previous fights. Say what you want about Bradley not being 'elite' class - he's mentally tough as nails. Most boxers would've found a way out during that fight.

Pacquiao vs Diaz was a bit of a beating that wasn't mentioned.

But the standout beatings since 2000 have to be:

Klitschko vs Briggs
Margarito vs Cotto
Pacquiao vs Margarito (poetic justice)

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next