The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England's midfield...

+8
NickisBHAFC
VDT
Dolphin Ziggler
Stella
Nakatomi Plaza
Duty281
Imperial Ghosty
Good Golly I'm Olly
12 posters

Go down

England's midfield... Empty England's midfield...

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:51 pm

A lot of debate after the Montenegro game as to what the England midfield should look like.

Now if all fit I'd go with this threesome:

Phil Jones, Steven Gerrard and Jack Wilshere.

This is not a slight on Carrick, who I thought did well, but 2nd half when the pressure was piled on, he became a bit useless, it's not his game to break up play. That's why I'd bring Jones in, who does that very well. What that'd also do is allow Gerrard/Wilshere to be able to be more attacking, and give Rooney and the wingers the support they need.

What do you guys think?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England's midfield... Empty Re: England's midfield...

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:55 pm

I think it's time we ditched Gerrard to be honest and play Carrick, Cleverly and Wilshere, having a specific ball winner who's not great on the ball is a waste of a player nowadays.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 01 Apr 2013, 6:58 pm

I wouldn't have Cleverley anywhere near that side.

He's a poor mans Wilshere

I also think you need someone in there to break up the play. 2nd half against Montenegro showed that for me. They just waltzed through us everytime
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 01 Apr 2013, 8:06 pm

Without doubt it should be Carrick, Gerrard & Wilshere. This is the three which would be the most effective. Cleverley should be nowhere near this squad, he wouldn't even get into Albania's first XI and once again today he was totally ineffective. Don't be fooled by Fergie's ridiculous praise on his young players. Over-rated.

I think the bigger issue is the wingers in all seriousness. Hodgson's belief that you've got to have wingers who spend 75% of the time supporting your full back is just quite frankly ridiculous and just invites pressure defensively and then offensively isolates Rooney. We, as a country and as a style of football, develop players who are most suited to running with the ball and counter-attacking at speed. Our wingers include Young, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Sturridge, Lennon, Zaha & Sterling. They all want to attack, run with the ball and be a genuine threat offensively. Hodgson though wants a winger who's more effective in defending than attacking.........astonishing and unbelievable. Ashley Cole & Glen Johnson don't need babysitting. No wonder Rooney is our only goal threat or from Lampard penalties.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -HART- - - - - - - --

JOHNSON- -JAGIELKA- CAHILL- --COLE

- -WILSHERE - -CARRICK - -GERRARD - - -

WALCOTT - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - WELBECK

- - - - - - - - - - - -ROONEY- - - - - - - - - - -

That's my first XI. Welbeck can play on that left hand side but his lack of goals is shocking, worrying and just puts even more pressure on Rooney.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 02 Apr 2013, 8:45 am

I'd have Jones, Gerrard, and Wilshere in midfield. Wilshere is our best player, Gerrard is captain, and Jones has phenomenal workrate - I remember how well he played against Spain in 2011! Walcott on the right, Young on the left, and the white Pele up front. Then from the bench you have plenty of attacking options (Oxlade, Lennon, Lampard, Cleverley, Defoe, Welbeck), and plenty of defensive options (Milner, Carrick, Parker).

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Tue 02 Apr 2013, 11:50 am

Against sides where England are expected to see more of the ball, I'd pick Carrick, Gerrard and Wilshere. Against better technical opponents, I'd choose Phil Jones for his extra energy and athleticism ahead of Carrick.

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Tue 02 Apr 2013, 12:57 pm

I would have Wilshere, Carrick and Lampard, with Rooney, Wellbeck and Walcott up ahead.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 02 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

I'd have Wilshere Carrick Gerrard, with Parker, Lampard and Cleverley the two other options. Jones in the long run, but United haven't decided his position yet. I like Cleverley, he's a very good progressive player and smart. Comfortable on the ball all over the pitch and covers ground too. I'd like to see him being groomed to take Gerrards place. Wilshere and Cleverley linking with Rooney would be wonderful. Neat passing in all situations and movement off the ball.

Cleverley is basically an English player that the fans bemoan how we fail to produce them but do not appreciate them when they play. It's simple but effective football, the kind of qualities that lead to short passing and attractive football. But they don't rush around doing Hollywood things so English fans hate it. Similar to how Carrick would be loved by Prem fans if we was Spanish but he's a dull Geordie so it doesn't translate.

I'd be getting rid of Glen Johnson because we seem to have to play Milner to protect him. Jones or Smalling would be better. Then Young and one of Walcott/Lennon if Lennon can add more goals or Walcott learns how to use his brain

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:31 pm

I'd have Wilshere, Cleverley with Gerrard in a slightly deeper role, I see Jones as a CB in the long run.
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 03 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

Whilshere, Parker and Gerrard for me.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 03 Apr 2013, 4:50 pm

I must be missing something with this concept of Jones as a midfielder. First touch not good enough, passing not god enough, reading of the game not good enough.
He' has a lot of quality for sure, as a future centre back. As a midfielder for England he'd be a massive backwards step IMO.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Apr 2013, 6:10 pm

I wouldnt have Carrick or Cleverly anywhere near the england side!

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 03 Apr 2013, 6:38 pm

Cleverly maybe, he has a long way to go but anyone who still doubts carrick is remarkable. He's been nothing short of outstanding this season for Utd and is the best passer of a ball that England have. In International football, retaining possession is crucial and England have lacked this in recent years, in fact, since they stupidly played Paul Scholes on the Left wing to accommodate the tried and failed partnership of Gerrard and Lampard. England would have done allot better imo in intl tournaments with Scholes cm. Now, they have Carrick who isn't at the level Scholes was (How many could reach that level) but he's the best retainer of possesion England got and along with Wilshere with Rooney just in front would be the way forward imo.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 03 Apr 2013, 6:42 pm

While Carrick may have played well for United, for England he's been mediocre at best. Against Montengero he did very little to help keep us the ball and when Jovetic slipped into the whole he didn't do well in controlling him.

I think England need to play a naturally defensive midfielder who can break up the play, the best one currently is Parker, so I'd play Gerrard as the deep-lying playmaker, Parker as the defensive midfielder whose main role is to sweep up play and get it to the more creative players and Wilshere as the box to box man.

I don't think Cleverley is good enough, if he played for say Sunderland or Fulham, he wouldn't be in the squad because he's simply not good enough. He's okay, I'd say he's on the same level as somebody like Jordan Henderson.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed 03 Apr 2013, 7:43 pm

Crimey when you say he's played for England he's hardly played for them that's the thing. Its hard to base it on one game he's played.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by JamesLincs Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:30 am

at this moment and until 2014 the 3 for me would be gerrard wilshere and carrick. from autumn 14' onwards i would have wilshere and have jones replacing gerrard. i ca only think of cleverly tbh replacing carrick. i have no idea why we arent using the ox and lennon on the wings, they are so deadly when on top form, but once again this is england, and we just waste talent, especially midfield talent.. gerrard? scholes?

JamesLincs

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 04 Apr 2013, 12:52 pm

It's hard to use Alex Oxlade Chamberlain when he can barely get a game for Arsenal.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down