The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Audley Harrison - Inspirational or Delusional?

+12
Rowley
DaveVDK
Duty281
TheMackemMawler
manos de piedra
Strongback
davidemore
azania
Cast a Shadow
tunes666
TRUSSMAN66
Adam D
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Audley Harrison - Inspirational or Delusional? Empty Audley Harrison - Inspirational or Delusional?

Post by Adam D Mon 01 Apr 2013, 9:59 pm

by John Hoolan

Harrison is the fighter who never seems to know when to give up. After his defeat to David Price 99% of people said he should retire. The only person who said no was Audley himself. He believes in himself and in his ability, he believes it is his destiny to be world champion.

He saw the latest heavyweight prizefighter show as a stepping stone back onto the road he has tried to follow many times before. Whilst others laughed, sighed and pointed at him his single minded determination resulted in him actually winning the event for the second time.

He is now lined up to fight Deontay Wilder on Amir Khan’s undercard on 20thApril in Sheffield. Wilder is the great hope from the USA with a record of 27 fight, 27 wins, 27 KOs!!

During his pro career whenever it looked like he might have found some belief to go with his undoubted ability he would fall again and would then have to face a torrent of questioning whether he really was any good. For example beating Danny Williams in Sept 2006, but then being beaten by Michael Sprott in his next fight by TKO.

He tried to scale many hills and mountains but always slipped, stumbled and fell before he got to the summit, yet he keeps getting up and trying again…

23 KOs from 31 wins shows that Audley had the power and skill to beat any opponent in front of him on his day, BUT, 6 losses, 4 of which were to Sprott, Williams, Rogan and Guinn show that he lacked the mental ability to go with his boxing skill. At times it looked like he was a rabbit caught in headlights. The 3rd round against David Haye was a classic example of this.

Along with prizefighter the highlight of his pro career was winning the European heavyweight title at his second attempt against Michael Sprott.

But he never wrapped a belt around his waist again and may never again – Yet he still believes...

His defeat at the hands of the commonwealth heavyweight, David Price, after 82 seconds should be his last and should also make it clear to Audley himself that he does not have the tools any longer to succeed at the top of the game domestically, never mind European or world level.

Yet Audley still believes.

We should not forget the good that Audley did boxing and the abuse he received before and after the Price fight was, in my opinion scandalous. Had Audley not won Gold at the 2000 Olympics, boxing GB would have scaled back its programme even more and would also have received a lot less funding, possibly meaning the end of Olympic boxing in the country.

He always believed he'd win gold.

With no TeamGB there would have been no Khan, Degale, Joshua, Adams, Price, etc, etc learning their trades in the amateurs winning medals at Olympic games. I think people should remember that.

Harrison will go into the fight with Wilder as a big underdog with the bookies, however there are those who think he may beat Wilder. Wilder after all is yet to face anybody in the top 30 in the world even after 27 fights and although he has a great KO record is still not a “name” in America and isn’t showcased on US TV the way Fury and Price are in the UK.

A win for Harrison won’t get him a shot at one of the Klitschkos for a title, but it will put him back in the reckoning. Harrison is an enigma that sells tickets and makes money, whether if it’s from people supporting him or people wanting to see him knocked out his opponents won’t mind. His PR machine will go into overdrive calling for a fight with a genuine top 5 contender, nobody will give him a chance – yet he'll still believe.

I asked the question is Audley Inspirational or Delusional at the beginning. Whatever you, I or anybody else thinks, I know what Audley believes…

I wish him well…
(Original article here - http://murmuringsofaboxingmad-man.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/audley-harrison-inspirational-or.html)

If one or two of you could give some feedback to John on the Journal page (below) I woul appreciate it. he is a new writer for us, so would be good to give him some feedback etc

http://v2journal.com/16/post/2013/04/audley-harrison-inspirational-or-delusional.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Audley Harrison - Inspirational or Delusional? Empty Re: Audley Harrison - Inspirational or Delusional?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:00 pm

An inspiration to the deluded...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Audley Harrison - Inspirational or Delusional? Empty Re: Audley Harrison - Inspirational or Delusional?

Post by tunes666 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:10 pm

Inspirational.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:18 pm

Used to annoy the hell out of me, but I warmed to him a few years back.

Really hope he takes Wilder out and have a sneaking suspicion he will...

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:24 pm

I love whoever commented on the Journal! Laugh

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:33 pm

Both. His never say die attitude is admirable. But his mental strength seems to be lacking so he is deluded if he imagines he can fulfill his potential (whatever that is).

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:38 pm

Never say die attitude!!..

He wants to take it to the ring sometime..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:41 pm

True.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:43 pm

He did in Prizefighter - looked quality (for once)...

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:44 pm

Inspirational. Any man that can bring about peace for even only 1 night is inspirational:

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Never say die attitude!!..

He wants to take it to the ring sometime..

azania wrote:True.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:45 pm

peace with honor...Like Vietnam..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:46 pm

Cast a Shadow wrote:He did in Prizefighter - looked quality (for once)...

He was fighting dross. His confidence was up. Against Wilder he will revert to type.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:47 pm

No honour attached to Vietnam, Truss - probably the most botched foreign invasion of all time (closely followed by us in Suez).

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:49 pm

azania wrote:

He was fighting dross. His confidence was up. Against Wilder he will revert to type.

We'll see on April 27th - who has Wilder beaten again?

I'd argue quite strongly that despite an inferior record, Audley has much superior wins to Wilder.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:50 pm

Officially a peace with honor........... Cool

Harrison will bottle it again.........and then probably win the prizefighter again.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:52 pm

We'll have to disagree Truss.

For me, the top 3 foreign policy screw-ups post 1945 were 1) Vietnam, 2) Suez and 3) Iraq II.

Harrison will turn Wilder over in a big upset, then probably lose to Povetkin.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:56 pm

You can't disagree with the FACT it was peace with honor...because that was in the peace deal and signed........

Where did I say Vietnam was a good idea.........

Wilder's jab is too good.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:56 pm

America doesn't lose wars.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 10:59 pm

Fair play - you never endorsed it, merely stated that (technically) America did not lose.

Although the treatment given to Vietnam veterans compared to, say WW2 soldiers would suggest that the outcome was far from glorious.

Who has Wilder beaten again? Audley has a MUCH better record than him.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:03 pm

Look at your Soldiers now....not just an American thing.........

Hillary Clinton in fairness has worked hard for more help and benefits for injured soldiers and their families...It is a disgrace..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:04 pm

Hope Hillary runs in 2016..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:06 pm

The Wilder fight could be brutal. Again.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:09 pm

Gene Wilder would be pickem against Audley...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:10 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Look at your Soldiers now....not just an American thing.........

Hillary Clinton in fairness has worked hard for more help and benefits for injured soldiers and their families...It is a disgrace..

I know mate - have heard many stories about how essentially they are discharged and then left to it. Ex-soldiers are far more likely than the average man to end up homeless or in jail as a result, and it's a disgrace, especially when their troubles are basically the result of guys like Blair and Bush chasing a 'place in history'.

Fair play to Hilary on any good she has done in this area - the best way of avoiding it is to keep out of other nations' internal disputes though.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Gene Wilder would be pickem against Audley...

Made me smile, but Wilder's gonna walk onto that counter left, mark my words.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:13 pm

Best way would be to leave buildings like the Twin towers alone...

If Deontay doesn't fight a decent guy soon.....He'll get Stir Crazy.........Then again his record shows he's on a.... Silver streak........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:16 pm

Cast a Shadow wrote:
azania wrote:

We'll see on April 27th - who has Wilder beaten again?

I'd argue quite strongly that despite an inferior record, Audley has much superior wins to Wilder.

Who had Price, Guinn, Rogan beaten prior to beating Audley. Audley freezes. If he doesn't he could pull off a surprise as I don't rate Wilder at all.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:19 pm

Well I've never been 100% convinced that the US government could not have stopped it from happening. Even if you accept the official version of the story then you're essentially conceding that a sting of screw-ups were made on the intelligence side.

Do I think it was an inside job? No.

What makes more sense to me is that Bush & co got intelligence of a genuine terror attack, and chose to let it happen.

Look at all of the detailed human interest stories that were written up in detail within 24 hours, and people like Tanya Head who 'came forward' to undermine the survivors' movement, and it makes total sense.

As for Wilder, he's taking a massive step up on previous opposition, and I think Audley's gonna find him out. Sconiers had him on the floor.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:22 pm

They got rid of a murdering a**hole.........and Kuwait and the Kurds are feeling much safer.....

I wasn't a fan of the Iraq war but we are damned If we do and damned If we don't...

Bosnia was a more successful intervention..to be sure.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:25 pm

History will see Obama's win over Hilary in 2008 as one of America's greatest mistake of the early 21st century.

America has not progressed enough to put a women in charge. Hilary, and Bill for that matter, will be that much older in 2016.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:26 pm

Cast a Shadow wrote:As for Wilder, he's taking a massive step up on previous opposition, and I think Audley's gonna find him out. Sconiers had him on the floor.

Audley is hardly a massive step up.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:28 pm

Not progressed enough to put a Woman in charge but plenty enough to put a Black Man in charge...........Go figure!! Rolling Eyes

Obama's done a good job.....Hillary well hopefully she'll continue the good work.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:28 pm

Eventually Iraq might settle down, but there's been all sorts of chaos in the meantime and will be for a few years yet.

Saddam was a monster, but then we've got into bed with the likes of Pinochet in the past - nasty dictators tend to get cut a lot of latitude when they are on our side.

Milosevic was a lunatic, but we should have stayed out IMO. Just not a fan of meddling in the business of others unless it directly impacts us or a friendly nation.

By that logic, Iraq I was a justified war and we could easily have taken Saddam out back then. Why we didn't is anyone's guess...

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:30 pm

If you knew of the genocide and diabolical atrocities in Bosnia then you'd realise we couldn't keep out..

Look If Saddam complied he'd still be there...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:30 pm

Strongback wrote:History will see Obama's win over Hilary in 2008 as one of America's greatest mistake of the early 21st century.

America has not progressed enough to put a women in charge. Hilary, and Bill for that matter, will be that much older in 2016.

Total BS. Name me a western country with a minority population where a minority can rise to the top office. I can't see Germany voting in a Turk origin person. I can't see UK ever electing a black guy (Chuka seems the best bet for high office) in my lifetime. France may elect a Jewish person. But the top job anywhere else? Not a chance

If Hilary wins the Dem nomination in 2016 she will win the election.

Don't tell me that UK is so ahead of the game because of Thatcher. Pakistan voted in Benezir Bhutto. Are you suggesting there is gender equality there or that the gap is narrow?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:30 pm

Audley freezes sometimes, the Haye fight being obvious for example. I dont think he can use that excuse for losses to guys like Guinn and Rogan though. They were low key, unheralded fighters. To be outpointed by those guys over 10 rounds is a serious indication of a lack of quality.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not progressed enough to put a Woman in charge but plenty enough to put a Black Man in charge...........Go figure!! Rolling Eyes

Obama's done a good job.....Hillary well hopefully she'll continue the good work.

I'd trust Hilary with the economy above Obama, that's for sure.

Just think Obama lacks something intellectually, but he's a step up on the hillbillies that preceded him.

Think America is a very progressive country these days and, like the Uk, needs to take pride in how far it has come rather beating itself up.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not progressed enough to put a Woman in charge but plenty enough to put a Black Man in charge...........Go figure!! Rolling Eyes

When you talk common sense I can agree with you. But try to put your flag aside and look at the foreign policy of USA. It's near genocidal.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:33 pm

Hillary would have been President If not for Obama........

Az is spot on..............Hillary has more experience for sure but on Healthcare she might have been once bitten twice shy!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm

Cast a Shadow wrote:

Just think Obama lacks something intellectually, but he's a step up on the hillbillies that preceded him.

Think America is a very progressive country these days and, like the Uk, needs to take pride in how far it has come rather beating itself up.

Wrong. Obama is seen as too intellectual and elitist. Clinton had to play down his intellect and is far from a hillbilly. Ditto Bush snr. Both good men. Bush Jnr and Ronnie had the intellect of a gnat.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm

Mate..why would I care if you agree with me...........Giving my opinion not looking for friends.....

That's for Davidemore..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:35 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If you knew of the genocide and diabolical atrocities in Bosnia then you'd realise we couldn't keep out..

Some horrific things were going on in Bosnia, no argument there.

Should we intervene in every single instance where human rights abuses take place? Should we have invaded Chile in the 80s? Should we invade Zimbabwe now?.

While Bosnia was going on, Blair was cosying up to Gadaffi and doing oil deals with him in the desert doesn't suggest to me his foreign policy was based on any great principle.

Either oppose it all or keep your nose out is the choice IMO.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:36 pm

Not looking for friends with a redneck bubba. Just stating that on this one occasion you are correct. Generally wrong on most country when it comes to your country. You lack objectivity. Totally.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:37 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:If you knew of the genocide and diabolical atrocities in Bosnia then you'd realise we couldn't keep out..

He was. Total compliance with the weapons inspectors.

Perhaps this thread should be merged with the one where you're making a Holly Wilaboobie of yourself on the news branch.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:38 pm

Bill Clinton cost his Mrs the election.......

1. The remark that Black people always vote for one of their own.....Maybe true but you don't say it!!

2. Made it look like he was ganging up on Obama with Hillary...

Should have stayed the hell out.........

No you should pick and choose Cast is the answer........Some regimes are so bent and cruel you have to kick butt..............Helps if there is some good oil too........so we can get richer as a nation..

Hopefully it's the UAE next..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:38 pm

azania wrote:
Cast a Shadow wrote:

Wrong. Obama is seen as too intellectual and elitist. Clinton had to play down his intellect and is far from a hillbilly. Ditto Bush snr. Both good men. Bush Jnr and Ronnie had the intellect of a gnat.

By Hillbillies I principally meant Bush jnr and his cronies - hope that clears it up.

Obama strikes me as a slightly less toxic version of Blairs - good at vision, sketchy on details.

Bill Clinton is, was and remains a smart man - no argument there.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:39 pm

Azania stop insulting people........grow up.

He wasn't in full compliance..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:41 pm

Clinton was just as right wing as Bush in many areas..........

Bush JR is a smart man............He got his Dad elected against Dukakis and won the Governorship and Presidency.......

You can't be a wally to do that.............

Obviously his communication skills were lacking..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:43 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Bill Clinton cost his Mrs the election.......

1. The remark that Black people always vote for one of their own.....Maybe true but you don't say it!!

2. Made it look like he was ganging up on Obama with Hillary...

Should have stayed the hell out.........

No you should pick and choose Cast is the answer........Some regimes are so bent and cruel you have to kick butt..............Helps if there is some good oil too........so we can get richer as a nation..

Hopefully it's the UAE next..

Don't remember Bill's intervention circa 2007 - will bow to your superior knowledge.

Mugabe is a pretty cruel man and has been for decades - he was knighted.

Pinochet was an evil SOB, but helped us out in the Falklands war, so turn a blind eye...

Gadaffi had oil so we cosied up to him.

Much better to pursue new power sources, energy independence and an ethical foreign policy based on principle IMO.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Mon 01 Apr 2013, 11:44 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Azania stop insulting people........grow up.

He wasn't in full compliance..

Hans Blix said he was. The conservative (PNAC) clique with an agenda disagreed. Blix was the man on the ground. Who do you think knew more? Chaney, Rumsfeld, Bush? Or Blix and Scott Ritter? Blix said he had unfettered access to all sites in Iraq including Saddam's palaces.

Once again you are totally wrong. At least you are consistent.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next