The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That WOW moment!

+25
Mr Bounce
ONETWOFOREVER
rapidringsroad
Rodney
AlexHuckerby
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
Diggers
bellchees
eddyfightfan
jammin
milkyboy
mobilemaster8
Rowley
hampo17
Atila
Makaveli
BoxingFan88
Imperial Ghosty
azania
Bellz84
tomfinneywalksonwater
captain carrantuohil
spencerclarke
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

That WOW moment! Empty That WOW moment!

Post by spencerclarke Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:01 pm

Evening gents,

A simple one tonight, which moments in boxing did you really sit up and just go 'Wow'!!

Was it Pacman getting KO'ed?

The fan man in Bowe v Holyfield?

A fight that ended with the first punch?

Over to you gents.

Cheers.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

That WOW moment! Empty Re: That WOW moment!

Post by captain carrantuohil Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:06 pm

Foreman thumping Frazier; Tyson's combination to get rid of Pinklon Thomas; Sanchez's triple hook to the body to initiate his final assault on Gomez; Roy Jones' body shot that put paid to Hill and the first time I ever saw Robinson's perfect punch that poleaxed Fullmer. Actually, I still say Wow whenever I revisit that punch, which is often.

I'm sure there are others, but those were straight off the top of my head.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:10 pm

Excellent comments as ever captain.

One of the major ones for me was Hatton getting sparked out by Manny. I remember just thinking that he was seriously hurt. When he was on the floor with his eyes rolled in the back of his head and his arms had crossed like he was in a coffin I vividly remember his partner screaming from ring side. It was a very harrowing viewing.

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:27 pm

Roy Jones jr vs Glen Kelly, the first time I watched that fight I must of rewound it a hundred times to watch the KO over again.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellz84 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:28 pm

Recently, the Price KO was fairly shocking. Certainly didn't see it coming! It is upsets like that, that really make boxing such an exciting sport to watch, one punch and it can be over. Not that I was happy with the result, gutted for Pricey. Mayweather knocking out Ortiz was a definite wow moment too, still can't believe how that fight panned out.

Bellz84

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:29 pm

RJJ with hands behind his back before knocking someone over.

MAB and Erik for 12 rounds I had my jaw open. Ditto Hearns/Hagler. One long wooooooow.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:30 pm

Bellz84 wrote:Recently, the Price KO was fairly shocking. Certainly didn't see it coming! It is upsets like that, that really make boxing such an exciting sport to watch, one punch and it can be over. Not that I was happy with the result, gutted for Pricey. Mayweather knocking out Ortiz was a definite wow moment too, still can't believe how that fight panned out.

I did Yahoo

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:31 pm

Very good. Go on then az what would yours be oh great oracle

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:31 pm

No you didn't Az, you backed him to win, don't try claiming the moral victory when you got the outcome of that fight as wrong as the rest of us.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellz84 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:34 pm

azania wrote:
Bellz84 wrote:Recently, the Price KO was fairly shocking. Certainly didn't see it coming! It is upsets like that, that really make boxing such an exciting sport to watch, one punch and it can be over. Not that I was happy with the result, gutted for Pricey. Mayweather knocking out Ortiz was a definite wow moment too, still can't believe how that fight panned out.

I did Yahoo

Haha, if you predicted that a soft-looking shot behind the ear would leave Price looking like Bambi on ice, then you truly are a man who should be listened to... Whistle

Bellz84

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 04 Apr 2013, 11:41 pm

Pacman getting knocked down for the first time in Pacquiao vs Marquez IV and the subsequent knock out.

Martinez getting dropped by Chavez in the 12th round.

Carl Froch KOing Jermain Taylor in the 12th Round.

Donaire KOing Montiel

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Makaveli Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:38 am

Frochs demolition of Bute certainly didnt expect that

Makaveli

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:36 am

Thomas Hearns' KO of Roberto Duran was a WOW moment for me. Still to this day, I rate it as one of the best KO's that I've ever seen. Nobody poleaxed and flattened Duran like that no one! Not Hagler not Sugar Ray Leonard.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:24 am

Froch destroying Bute, I'd also suggest Garcia man handling Khan the way he did.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:52 am

Douglas knocking Tyson into next week is still the one that has stunned me the most. Can still see Mike stumbling about trying to get his gumshield back in like it was yesterday.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:45 am

I've been saying all along that he was chinny and that a soft blow would do him. I was right as usual. Didn't think Thompson would land it though.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 8:56 am

Pacquiao vs Hatton - Brutal!

Marquez knocking out Pacquiao as well was a massive shock for me!

Other moments would include the comeback of Coralles when he fought Castillo! Wow what a round! Probably one of my favourite fights!

Id also say Rahman knocking out a prime Lewis in South Africa.

Notable mentions go to:

Khan vs Garcia (never expected it)
Lopez vs Ortiz (Major upset - showed the heart of a lion!)
Bradley vs Provdoviknov (WOW - Just for the sheer brutal fight it turned out to be for Bradley!)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:29 am

azania wrote:I've been saying all along that he was chinny and that a soft blow would do him. I was right as usual. Didn't think Thompson would land it though.

You weren't the first to say it az, you were just the one who repeated it 10 times a day on any thread you could find an excuse to mention it on, somehow you've positioned yourself as the 'enlightened one' with your Italian policeman quips. Plenty of people highlighted concerns re his whiskers from his amateur days. keep basking in your glory though, it obviously makes you feel good. And its important to feel good Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:36 am

Personal wow moments:

Foreman wasting Frazier, on world of sport, was my first wow moment as a kid. Followed by the rumble. Tyson berbick kind of made me realise that tyson wasnt just the next hype machine and Douglas Tyson was just one of the great sporting moments, where your mouth is open while you watch it, and you gradually start to believe what you're seeing.

In addition, there were 'wow' fights like pryor arguello and wow knockouts like leonard green, benitez hope, hearns duran, curry mcrory, curry mccallum, and jackson graham... most of which seemed to involve fighters i wanted to win, getting poleaxed!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:36 am

milkyboy wrote: keep basking in your glory though, it obviously makes you feel good. And its important to feel good Very Happy

So if you predict the result of a fight and the outcome is the complete polar opposite you can bask in glory? So if I say now Broner is an accident waiting to happen as he gets hit too often and then predict him to win every fight when he eventually loses I can proclaim myself as the oracle of the boards. Good system

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by jammin Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

Mosley sparking out Mayorga in the 12th round with a second to go.

jammin

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:46 am

the 12th round of martinez vs chavez jr, i haven't been that animated during a fight for a while, i was watching it on the laptop with headphones and was standing on the seatee screaming for martinez to get on his bike, and when he dug in and started firing back i almost couldnt watch.

but the right man won and thankfully we didn't have to bare the aftermath of a chavez victory.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:50 am

Rowley wrote:
milkyboy wrote: keep basking in your glory though, it obviously makes you feel good. And its important to feel good Very Happy

So if you predict the result of a fight and the outcome is the complete polar opposite you can bask in glory? So if I say now Broner is an accident waiting to happen as he gets hit too often and then predict him to win every fight when he eventually loses I can proclaim myself as the oracle of the boards. Good system

In the world according to az, and the guy from housepricecrash.co.uk, you most certainly can rowls.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:53 am

eddyfightfan wrote:the 12th round of martinez vs chavez jr, i haven't been that animated during a fight for a while, i was watching it on the laptop with headphones and was standing on the seatee screaming for martinez to get on his bike, and when he dug in and started firing back i almost couldnt watch.

but the right man won and thankfully we didn't have to bare the aftermath of a chavez victory.

That's exactly how I watched that fight, absolute panic during the 12th. I don't remember ever being so into a fight that I really didn't care an awful lot about before as I'm not a massive Martinez fan and expected him to cruise to victory.

As a Wow moment I did not see Martinez pancaking Williams like the did.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:59 am

Frank Bruno in his orange suit pounding the ring and screaming on Benn against McLellan. If only he could have been half as animated and passionate in the ring....

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:10 am

Tyson getting hungry against Holyfield, for me. My old man taped the fight for me and I was up at the crack of sparrows to stick it on; I think I probably rewound the moment of the first bite about twenty times.

That aside, Froch tearing Bute a new one was unbelievable, as it was probably the best night I've had as a boxing fan and the most enjoyable sporting event I've ever been to.

People have asked me why Victor Galindez is maybe my favourite fighter ever, and I can never really explain as he fought well before I was born, wasn't involved in any fights against other historical favourites of mine, had zero in common with me and so on. But the first time I ever watched his first fight against Richie Kates as a young'un, I had no idea who won or how, so got to see an amazing fight unfold as if it were live, really. I thought it was one of the best fights of all time, and I still do, and that image of Galindez, his face a mask of blood, yelling at Kates or in his direction at the end stuck with me. A personal wow moment for me and, as a result, I've continued to 'chuff' (according to a mate of mine!) Galindez to this day.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:15 am

Another for me was watching Leonard fight Dave Boy Green. I was 13 and it was probably one of the first fights I watched on TV, even as a kid who knew zilch about boxing you cuold tell that Leonard was really really special and could pretty much do whatever he wanted when he wanted. Peach of a finish as well.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:25 am

Diggers wrote:Frank Bruno in his orange suit pounding the ring and screaming on Benn against McLellan. If only he could have been half as animated and passionate in the ring....

Worth a shout in a 'surreal moments,' thread that one digs. That evening qualifies for a few. Not least 15000 people, screaming 'get up Nigel', when it looked like being a very early night. Mad start, tragic end.

Also qualifies for longest wait for a taxi, if anyone ever does a thread on that! Nightmare of a venue but some atmosphere that night.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:29 am

Curry v Mccrory..............
Rahman V Lewis

Tyson telling King to get his hand off him..........Camacho saying c'mon all you n*****s........after Ramirez..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:31 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Camacho saying c'mon all you n*****s........after Ramirez..........

Aye, Macho called out everyone from Whitaker and Mancini to Larry Holmes in that one!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 10:55 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Curry v Mccrory..............
Rahman V Lewis

Tyson telling King to get his hand off him..........Camacho saying c'mon all you n*****s........after Ramirez..........

If we're looking for post fight interview 'wow's you can't beat starling after molinares.

'do I look knocked out, I wasnt knocked down, I can go another round' or words to that effect. Black comedy moment.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:06 am

I wonder what you are looking for... Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 05 Apr 2013, 11:13 am

Not after a rise truss, genuinely bizarre... Questions the validity in doing a post fight interview with someone who's just been knocked out.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:44 pm

Lewis v Tyson is still one that sticks with me.

Even though Tyson had lost previously, Tyson still had that scary aura for me at that time and Lewis shattered it once and for all that night.

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Apr 2013, 12:59 pm

Castillo/Corrales - final round - brilliant!

Holyfield/Tyson 1 - Watching the ref waving it off was surreal even though Tyson's bubble had been burst by Douglas

Sanders KO-ing Wlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:32 pm

The whole Hagler v Hearns fight, even though the first round stands out the most. I've never seen a big fight deliver excitement like that from the first bell.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

The fight was over after one round...................

I don't think Hagler-Hearns is one of the greatest fights of alltime.........

However I think it's probably the greatest round of alltime...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:50 pm

I was all over the place after seeing Manny sparked. Literally threw my headphones off my head and jumped around the room. I just simply couldn't believe what was happening. Struggled to believe what I saw was genuine.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 05 Apr 2013, 5:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The fight was over after one round...................

Agreed, once Hagler shook of that big right hand it was fight over, Hearns whole gameplan eroded in a second.

Talking about the Arguello/Pryor fight, the big wow moment for me was 'that' uppercut.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:08 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The fight was over after one round...................

Agreed, once Hagler shook of that big right hand it was fight over, Hearns whole gameplan eroded in a second.

Talking about the Arguello/Pryor fight, the big wow moment for me was 'that' uppercut.

Remind me...

I remember an amazing straight right jolting Pryors head back and Pryor just literally rampaging right back at him...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:16 pm

Think it's in around the 9th or 10th round, not see it for a while but Arguello hits him square on the chin with a beautiful uppercut that sends Pryors head looking up at the sky.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 05 Apr 2013, 6:54 pm

Julian "The Hawk" Jackson landing that right had on Herols chin was a wow factor for me , one of my favourite fighters of the 80s and 90s!

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm

When the American boxing team won nine golds in LA in 84..............

Truly remarkable..........Probably would have won ten If Holy hadn't been ripped off..Chuck in Carbajal as well..........

Amazing..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 05 Apr 2013, 7:34 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Think it's in around the 9th or 10th round, not see it for a while but Arguello hits him square on the chin with a beautiful uppercut that sends Pryors head looking up at the sky.

Think we might be on about the same punch but I'm remembering it as a straight right for some reason.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:41 pm

You beat me to it Dave, people thought Holy field was finished and when he stopped Tyson I was rapt, one of my favourite WOW moments.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri 05 Apr 2013, 9:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:When the American boxing team won nine golds in LA in 84..............

Truly remarkable..........Probably would have won ten If Holy hadn't been ripped off..Chuck in Carbajal as well..........

Amazing..

The Montreal team was far better and winning 5 golds was a better accomplishment seeing as the cubans and soviets were there.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 06 Apr 2013, 5:32 am

The greatest WOW moment for me was Randell knocking Chavez down in the 11th round.

Never saw it coming was shocked at how Randell was performing so well and it looked like a points win by a wide margin and then BOOM!

Why I love boxing man.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 06 Apr 2013, 10:19 am

Would have won at least 5 golds had the Cubans been there..Great team........

Breland, Taylor, Whittaker, Holyfield.........

Wow moment.....Greg Haugen dancing to the ring in Mexico to BORN IN THE USA blasting out...and all the Mexicans looking like they wanted to lynch him...

Had balls the size of Alaska did Greg.............

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 06 Apr 2013, 11:37 am

Gloves the size of Alaska might have been more useful that night truss

Good call on randall onetwo... That right hand had bounced off jcc all night, then he drops him out of the blue. Without the knockdown and/or points deductions Randall doesn't get the decision. Jcc was bitching about Richard Steele after the fight over the low blow deductions, which has some irony considering the furore over the Taylor fight.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 06 Apr 2013, 12:04 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Would have won at least 5 golds had the Cubans been there..Great team........

Breland, Taylor, Whittaker, Holyfield.........

Wow moment.....Greg Haugen dancing to the ring in Mexico to BORN IN THE USA blasting out...and all the Mexicans looking like they wanted to lynch him...

Had balls the size of Alaska did Greg.............

And the brains the size of my left testicle. Should never of insulted Chavez and the Mexican population knowing full well you was fighting Mexico's fav son in MEXICO.

Got slapped silly.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next