The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novak And The Call Of Duty

+12
socal1976
LuvSports!
invisiblecoolers
Haddie-nuff
Born Slippy
lydian
banbrotam
HM Murdock
bogbrush
kingraf
sirfredperry
hawkeye
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Novak And The Call Of Duty Empty Novak And The Call Of Duty

Post by hawkeye Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:48 am

I've never been particularly patriotic when it comes to choosing who I enjoy watching when it comes to tennis. I'm more swayed by the quality of play and that something extra that's hard to describe. My two favorite players are Swiss and Spanish as proof of this. Ha ha! But I also have great admiration for Djokovic and one of the reasons for this apart from the quality of his play his his sense of duty.

He demonstrated this at the weekend by helping his Serbian team mates win a place in the Davis Cup semi final. He could have been forgiven for giving this tie a miss in order to get a little practice on clay. After all Nadal having stolen the momentum is already getting his socks dirty in the hope of defending his clay titles. But Djokovic opted to play two 5 set matches on the fastest indoor tennis courts the USA could find instead. In doing so he also turned his ankle and still elected to play on. This potentially could affect his participation in Monte Carlo (I hope not). Serbia with his help won and they are through to the semi's.

But there’s something special about seeing the world’s best player commit so fully to the team concept; having him, in this case, put the group's interests over his own. Afterward, Djokovic said that he would have an MRI on his swollen ankle tomorrow, and that he was seriously concerned about his status for his next tournament, in his adopted hometown of Monte Carlo. He said, “I sincerely hope I didn’t make it worse,” by playing on it today. He also said that, while he could have stopped playing and the Serbs still would have had a chance to win, there really was no choice; this is his “responsibility” to the country and team. It’s no small risk for him: The most important part of Djokovic’s season, the clay swing that leads to the French Open, begins in two weeks. But Nole, whether he's playing for his parents, his team, his country, or his "family" of fans around the world, is a fairly rare thing in the selfish game of tennis: a star who thrives on community and the larger cause.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/04/taking-one-team/47019/#.UWJuFcrSnIU

Like I've said I'm not usually patriotic in my tennis watching but reading that I can understand why so many Serbian fans may be. But it's also one of the reasons why I can't help but admire him.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Novak And The Call Of Duty Empty Re: Novak And The Call Of Duty

Post by sirfredperry Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:09 am

Serbia is a relatively small country full of intensively patriotic types, so you can understand Djoko's resolve to give his all in the DC.
It leads me back to my theme of yore - why have the DC every year? It's such a strain on the top players, who have to break their natural yearly rhythm to - sometimes - play on alien courts, far from home with the occasional prospect of having to play three five-setters in three days.
No wonder so many skip it. This is a tournament that generates huge excitement. Just how think how much bigger the whole thing would be if it was played less often.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:13 am

Considering the shenanigans of Serbian fans at football matches, I must say Djokovic is not the champion they deserve
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:40 am

Laugh
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Mon 08 Apr 2013, 10:57 am

I have conflicting feelings on this one.

I find patriotism inherently daft and I don't put any value on it as a characteristic.

But I also find the way Novak is so frequently swayed by his emotions quite appealing. It's not something I'd like to surround myself with in 'real life' but I quite like it in a sportsperson for the narratives it can create.

The latest news on the injury doesn't look good but if he played almost 3 set of tennis on it, surely it can't be that bad?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 08 Apr 2013, 11:21 am

Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 08 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

Good points SFP - a kind of tennis world cup every 2-4 yrs?

HMM - I have similar views, and I watched most of the match too. He was hobbling around abit but it didn't affect him one iota in the rallies. I'm sure if he had to retire then he would have done so - no pro player would risk their summer season for 1 DC match when he could have defaulted leaving it at 2-2 and Viktor having the opportunity to still come out to seal the tie.

I'm not a fan of overt patriotism, I understand why the Serbian team reacts like it does given their recent history but I don't like the potential exclusion mindset it can lead to and we see at football for example.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:25 pm

sirfredperry wrote: It's such a strain on the top players, who have to break their natural yearly rhythm to - sometimes - play on alien courts, far from home with the occasional prospect of having to play three five-setters in three days.
No wonder so many skip it. This is a tournament that generates huge excitement. Just how think how much bigger the whole thing would be if it was played less often.

If for nothing else isn't the Davis Cup good for this? It is a very different pressure for the players. It shows. Playing for a team rather than themselves can sometimes bring out the best in players. For example the GB team yesterday. For the top players extra responsibility. Djokovic yesterday was being relied on by the team to win what were for him highly winnable matches. All this has to be done in unusual conditions like you say. Maybe in front of a hostile away crowd but I think an expectant home crowd can also in it's way pose difficulty.

The crowd involvement does add to the sense of excitement and atmosphere. On other occasions when you get an extreme partisan crowd I've been left feeling uncomfortable but somehow in Davis Cup it doesn't have a nasty edge to it. The player is not alone on the court having to deal with it he has the team captain on his side too. One of my favorite Davis Cup memories was Roddick asking for help when struggling against Nadal. They were playing literally in a bull ring in Madrid but the whole extremely partisan crowd responded by chanting his name "Roddick, Roddick.... " It was great.

I know they talk about tampering with the Davis Cup but I think the unique thing about it is the huge number of countries involved and the home and away ties played in all kinds of conditions (from a bull ring in Madrid to a conference center in Coventry) and the way the top players are willing to put themselves on the line like Djokovic did at the weekend. It was great to see even if your not Serbian.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 08 Apr 2013, 2:26 pm

banbrotam. Why the laughter? I had you down as a patriotic type.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:18 pm

I have just discovered that I am not alone in recognizing Novak and his call of duty.... and here was me thinking I was unique.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 08 Apr 2013, 3:57 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Serbia is a relatively small country full of intensively patriotic types, so you can understand Djoko's resolve to give his all in the DC.
It leads me back to my theme of yore - why have the DC every year? It's such a strain on the top players, who have to break their natural yearly rhythm to - sometimes - play on alien courts, far from home with the occasional prospect of having to play three five-setters in three days.

Yes, would be good if they could come up with a format which made it once every 4 years so that it alternated with the Olympics. It really would get massive interest then. As it stands, it just feels a bit too disjointed. We have some excitement this weekend but then forget about it for 5 months or so. It would be much better if it took place over a couple of weeks but how it would fit in the calendar I'm not sure.

In relation to Djokovic, hope he hasn't done anything particularly serious as it would be a shame if he did have to miss Monte Carlo because of this.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 08 Apr 2013, 4:00 pm

Patriotism.. ??? isnt that something that Great Britain knew all about once in another lifetime.. I understand that the 21century Brits do not relate to that kind of patriotism .. but there are some of us that do. Today´s Britain is another thing entirely and I quite understand the reluctance to "throw oneself in behind the Union Jack" however., Spain is a different prospect. Any excuse to fly the Spanish Flag, don the red and yellow they will do so. Spain is predominantly for the Spanish and they will fight for their rights to defend it... I say good on em. Im not sure what the Serbs are like but if Novak feels that kind of patriotism for his country.. I salute him. Shame it seems that my country is not worth fighting for even if its a game of tennis Sad

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon 08 Apr 2013, 5:27 pm

I don't know how much Tennis and patriotism go hand in hand, but I was so impressed with the performance of Raonic and doubles for Canada, if Raonic can inspire his team to a final success it could be a great thing in his young career.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 08 Apr 2013, 5:40 pm

Yep, Raonic & Nestor can be proud.
Funny how Nestor and his normal doubles partner Zimonijic both had 15-13 sets for their respective countries.
The Czech's did pretty well too considering they didn't have Berdych and Turbot.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Mon 08 Apr 2013, 5:58 pm

and stepanek coming back from injury, was probs not 100%

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 6:53 pm

He played the match on anti-inflammatories the ankle to affect him for two sets and he said that once the pills kicked in he was able to play better and whitewash Querrey. But as usual I have to disagree with Lydian for the first half of the match it did impact him a great deal in the rallies. It was a very bad sprain and he said so after the match in the interview where he said it was the worst ankle turn he ever felt. Really, his devotion to Serbia's davis cup and his passion is commendable but if he keeps doing it, it will cost him the #1 ranking and slams at some point. The injury could not have happened at worse time and I doubt he will be better even if he takes monte carlo off. I doubt he will play MC and if he does he won't be 100 percent that is for sure.

On the patriotism point I agree with most of the posters, in the immortal words of animal mother in Stanley Kuybrick's Full metal jacket, "freedom, this war isn't about freedom, if I have to die for a word that word is going to be poontang". It is ok as long as it isn't taken too far but unfortunately it becomes a means where demagogues use to further their own ambition for power and attacks on others. I am a humanist first and foremost and view borders as arbitrary remnants of feudal empires and colonialism for the most part. Other than an invasion of the United States I can't think of a single instances where I would consider fighting for a state, and that is a pretty unlikely scenario. And if the foreign power invaded the south, I would almost cheer for them and hope they could take the south with texas off of our hands.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 08 Apr 2013, 7:35 pm

Fair enough Socal but if you have serious injury that's supposed to be making you limp I don't see how you play on for another 2 hours in the fashion he did. I just don't buy it was structurally serious and would say the same of any player. It's amazing how he was limping around then suddenly sprinting and sliding from one corner to the next in his customary "Flexovic" way, even in the 2nd set before the pills kicked in. I watched the match. I don't doubt his ankle was sore but if he'd torn or badly inflamed ankle ligaments then I can't see how he could play on. You just cant, it would be agony. Also, anti-inflammatories can only do so much, the fact they gave him enough relief to play on suggests the injury wasnt actually that bad. Put the other way, had the injury been really serious anti-inflammatories wouldnt make a jot of difference and the medics would have told him to retire. Rest, ice, elevation is the answer then. If he really was in that much pain and if it does turn out to be a serious injury then he was a bloody fool to play on.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 7:42 pm

Sore ankles and sprains tend to get a lot worse after your body cools down and the adrenaline goes out of your system. I never said it was a tear, when you tear a muscle the pain is instant and overwhelming where as strains and sprains tend to be really bad after you stop. I doubt he will be near 100 percent for MC and he has already lead Serbia to the Davis cup isn't it time to move on. By the way the court was lightening fast Lydian and it didn't seem to impact his dismantling of Isner or Querrey. Querrey it should be noted did seem to suffer a bit from a sore shoulder himself good on him for fighting at least for two sets.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Mon 08 Apr 2013, 8:49 pm

I watched the match in patches, and although I didn't see the injury there's no way Novak has done any serious damage to his ligaments. He was moving pretty well for the third set which you simply couldn't do if you'd damaged your ligaments. Anti inflammatories or not.

I suspect he's got a slight sprain but I'd be staggered if it wasn't better in a few days. He may decide to take MC off to rest it, and because he needs a rest generally after a great effort for his country, but i'm absolutely certain he's done no real damage.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Mon 08 Apr 2013, 9:02 pm

Yeah I heard Querrey had a bad shoulder which explains how he couldn't get an ace on a fast service. We'll see Socal about the ankle...hopefully it's just minor but I think most agree that it can't be THAT bad given he played on for TWO more hours.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:26 am

It isn't just the ankle it hurts his preparation for Monte Carlo even if he can play I doubt he will practice for a few days and MC is in a week. As 2011 and 2012 proved in the battle between Nadal and Djoko for supremacy momentum and confidence means a great deal to both players. The last thing he needed after a poor performance in the US hardcourt masters was an ankle injury right before the first clay court masters. At the very least he will not be practicing much and I think he is only 50 percent shot of showing up at MC. I have had sprains and tears. It isn't a tear that is pretty sure or antinflammatory wouldn't do much. But a sprain can stay with you for some time and impact your training. Another reason he needs to stop being the only top 4 player who plays almost every Davis Cup tie. Hey if they get to the semis without you then play. With Spain out if Novak is healthy Serbia looks to be the favored of the 4 remaining teams.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:26 am

Ja sprains are a *so-and-so*. Will be vert interested to see how Nole goes at MC, especially since theres every chance (well, one in four) he could meet Nadal in the Quarters
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:39 am

No chance of him meeting Nadal in the quarters as Fed isn't playing, so Nadal will be 4th seed.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:57 am

Right! The fact completely slipped my mind! I guess I was to busy salivating at the prospect.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 11:29 am

Feel sort of credible posting on this one. I for one am Serbian and one actually residing in the country - as opposed to... well, those who do not. Smile And yes.. the papers here are boasting headlines seasoned with patriotic sentiments about Nole's effort... a nice read all in all... The feat is definitely well received and appreciated...

However, and this is where I venture in digressing, it seems like a fleeting feeling, one that somehow lacks true weight. I would even go as far as to say the whole matter is perceived as, well not really futile, but certainly somewhat inconsequential. There is an overwhelming feeling of regret, for we would much rather Novak won RG instead or even merely beating Nadal on any of the upcoming clay events, the likeliness of which taking place now has been further diminished.

What I am really trying to say is that, while it is obvious that the importance of DC could not be improved upon by awarding more ATP points to players, due to it being a team effort and all, there is an idea, concurrent with certain notions mentioned on these boards regarding a fifth slam event. Why not introduce an indoors slam event, hosting of which to be allocated each season to whoever comes out on top in DC! I opt for an indoor slam because everybody would then have adequate facilities to organise it.

In my opinion, this would go a long way to placing considerable significance to the event, as well as further promoting the game. Why not?And get a load of this - it could intentionally be designed the fastest surface yet, thus satisfying the advocates of variety and S&V game Smile
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 11:59 am

The idea feels a little too "Race to Dubai", for me. I can see players split on the idea.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:05 pm

make me a liar, what is the downside?
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:20 pm

http://novakdjokovic.com/en/news/tennis/statement-on-novaks-ankle-injury/

The hilarious thing is that Murray might be Seeded 1 going into a clay court tournament. But that's not at all important. GWS Novak. I'd love to see him play Nadal before RG to get a feel for where they are both currently at.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

1) Timing- When do you hold this "fifth Slam"
2) Infrastructure- Say, Serbia win the title, do you have an indoor arena with 6-7 courts? Or does every country have to create one, in case they win DC?

3) Prestige- We have the WTF, and even IW, trying to be regarded as a fifth Slam. It doesnt work. Because there are only FOUR slams.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 09 Apr 2013, 12:51 pm

Given Spain´s record of winning the DC how well will that be received among the other players if Spain are hosting the fifth slam say every other year.
Has Spain the financial resources to build such a venue ? I think not.
Especially as they seem to produce base-line defensive players, who do not favour indoor courts. I cannot see it being well received by a large proportion of players (not just Spanish) and many countries alike. Not to mention that some countries do not seem to rate the DC that highly.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 1:14 pm

kingraf wrote:1) Timing- When do you hold this "fifth Slam"
2) Infrastructure- Say, Serbia win the title, do you have an indoor arena with 6-7 courts? Or does every country have to create one, in case they win DC?

3) Prestige- We have the WTF, and even IW, trying to be regarded as a fifth Slam. It doesnt work. Because there are only FOUR slams.

Obviously there would have to be certain concessions made.
1) The obvious choice would be the period between AO and FO as the is a long time in between. I even say: why not strip Miami of a masters format and appoint it to Queens or Halle, we need a grass masters anyway.
2) It just so happens we do, but never mind that, all capitals have several arenas anyway. Why would it have to be one?
3) People CAN'T FLY, that is before the Right Brothers came along...
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 1:21 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:Given Spain´s record of winning the DC how well will that be received among the other players if Spain are hosting the fifth slam say every other year.
Has Spain the financial resources to build such a venue ? I think not.
Especially as they seem to produce base-line defensive players, who do not favour indoor courts. I cannot see it being well received by a large proportion of players (not just Spanish) and many countries alike. Not to mention that some countries do not seem to rate the DC that highly.

Oh for Pete's sake, why should anyone build A venue, when a perfectly well organised event can equally be held at several venues in a single Capital.
Have you asked yourself why is it that the Spanish do manage to win it, might it just be because they have so many talented players, and does not such a nation deserve to hold a slam event every now and then. Also think of the Swedes, Czechs, Swiss, Dutch and not to mention Argentinians, don't they deserve such an event on occasion or two? You are missing on all the benefits and excitement!
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 09 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm

whoa whoa hey hey get off your high horse. So I have an opinion ...wow!!! did I ask you to agree with it.?. I am suggesting that on past record Spain would be holding this event more than most countries. Im not sure how many venues they have in Madrid.,.. certainly not enough indoor hard courts I wager.
I respect your suggestion but I dont think it would work and I dont think it would be welcomed with open arms .Thats my opinion and nothing to do with PETE Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by walktall2209 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:13 pm

I was just being argumentative, maybe I come off differently from what I intended, English is not my first or even second language, sorry... Perhaps a WTF would be a better event to award to the winner now that I think about it... Smile
walktall2209
walktall2209

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:22 pm

WalkTall- Its okay. It is sometimes difficult to articulate a point in an additional language, being South African, English isnt even my sixth language, so I understand better than most here of the difficulty.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:23 pm

OK no problem. Your English is very good so dont put yourelf down.
Anyway glad thats sorted Smile

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:49 pm

yeah ive got like at least 14 other languages before english.
Oh.... make that 15 just learnt cantonese, mandarin next.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

Back to DC duty for a moment, and ankle injuries picked up whilst involved in such duty ..... BBC radio are now reporting that Djokovic is "in doubt" for Monte Carlo

I have it on good authority that if he does have to withdraw, then alternative arrangements are already in place.

Rafa will arrive just in time for the opening day, wave to the crowd and sign a few autographs and will then be formally presented with the winner's trophy, all ranking points protected of course.

He will then fly straight back to Mallorca for a little break.

Meanwhile all other players in the MC field will carry on as scheduled and fight it out for the runner up cheque + points.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 09 Apr 2013, 3:11 pm

lags72 wrote:Back to DC duty for a moment, and ankle injuries picked up whilst involved in such duty ..... BBC radio are now reporting that Djokovic is "in doubt" for Monte Carlo

I have it on good authority that if he does have to withdraw, then alternative arrangements are already in place.

Rafa will arrive just in time for the opening day, wave to the crowd and sign a few autographs and will then be formally presented with the winner's trophy, all ranking points protected of course.

Meanwhile all other players in the MC field will carry on as scheduled and fight it out for the runner up cheque + points.

Laugh

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:07 pm

walktall2209 wrote:Feel sort of credible posting on this one. I for one am Serbian and one actually residing in the country - as opposed to... well, those who do not. Smile And yes.. the papers here are boasting headlines seasoned with patriotic sentiments about Nole's effort... a nice read all in all... The feat is definitely well received and appreciated...

However, and this is where I venture in digressing, it seems like a fleeting feeling, one that somehow lacks true weight. I would even go as far as to say the whole matter is perceived as, well not really futile, but certainly somewhat inconsequential. There is an overwhelming feeling of regret, for we would much rather Novak won RG instead or even merely beating Nadal on any of the upcoming clay events, the likeliness of which taking place now has been further diminished.

What I am really trying to say is that, while it is obvious that the importance of DC could not be improved upon by awarding more ATP points to players, due to it being a team effort and all, there is an idea, concurrent with certain notions mentioned on these boards regarding a fifth slam event. Why not introduce an indoors slam event, hosting of which to be allocated each season to whoever comes out on top in DC! I opt for an indoor slam because everybody would then have adequate facilities to organise it.

In my opinion, this would go a long way to placing considerable significance to the event, as well as further promoting the game. Why not?And get a load of this - it could intentionally be designed the fastest surface yet, thus satisfying the advocates of variety and S&V game Smile

Hi walktall2209,

Great to have an opinion from someone at the coal face so to speak.

I get the sense that Novak benefits from very enthusiastic patriotic Serbian support. There is a sense that his wins are somehow for Serbia and that many feel he has won things for them. Playing in the Davis Cup cements Djokovic as a player who is playing for his country. Playing when it could possibly be a disadvantage to his personal career cements the feeling that his wins are for his country even stronger. So the Davis Cup in itself may not be considered as prestigious as a slam but the way it makes people feel his wins are for them would make any slam wins feel more special to his patriotic fans. Does that make sense?

Oh and by playing when when it was possibly a disadvantage I meant playing on indoor hardcourt just before the clay season. The ankle was an accident that could happen at any time. Not playing a tournament or a match because of possible injury is taking caution to the extreme. Of course not playing because of an existing injury is just being sensible.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:16 pm

lags72 wrote:Back to DC duty for a moment, and ankle injuries picked up whilst involved in such duty ..... BBC radio are now reporting that Djokovic is "in doubt" for Monte Carlo

Rolling Eyes You've got this wrong! Whether Djokovic plays or not Rafa will be presented with the winners trophy on finals day. He will get to sit on a comfy chair and watch two players fight it out for the plate. This is a well known but yet to be used ATP rule. Any player who wins a tournament 8 consecutive times gets to do this. Rumor has it that Rafa will also be in charge of the shot clock. If he thinks a player is taking too long between points he gets to press the buzzer and the player gets a code violation. Ha ha! Well I think it's a rumor...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 09 Apr 2013, 4:45 pm

Haha lags - it kind of feels that way doesn't it if Novak isn't there.

Bizarre having Murray as #1 seed given he's never even reached a clay final - that said, his chances of doing so will also leap forward if Novak pulls the plug.

If Nadal wins a Masters event 9 times in a row that's surely going to be record never to be equalled again? (never mind the 8 current...).
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:21 pm

To be honest Novak still has plenty of time to recover...they could make his first match as late as next Weds given he would need to play up to 5 matches. I don't know what the cut-off for entry is though - but the draw isn't made until Saturday 13 Apr @ 12pm.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:34 pm

LuvSports you polylinguist you! I thought there was something about you.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 09 Apr 2013, 5:52 pm

What can i say? I luvsports! and I luvlanguages!

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 6:15 pm

So, heres my guess of the languages you can speak.
Cantonese
Cryllic
Mandarin
Catalan
Basque
mayan
Croat
Filipino
Vietnamese
Gaelic
Welsh
Swiss German
Swiss French
English.

Huh, Huh??
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 09 Apr 2013, 6:39 pm

I said 14 and then 15 languages before english, keep trying.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 09 Apr 2013, 6:42 pm

Flemish? Wonderful language that, I hear.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue 09 Apr 2013, 6:53 pm

Sounds a nice idea hawkeye, but I'm really not sure that to give Rafa control of the 'shot clock' would prove an effective means of maintaining respect for the time rule. Great as he is on the Monte Carlo dirt, something tells me this is one job for which he may not be the ideal candidate.

Bit like putting Dracula in charge of your local blood bank or offering Ronnie Biggs a job at the Royal Mint .......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Tue 09 Apr 2013, 6:57 pm

Klingon?

It would be Murray's luck that, even with Novak out of the tournament, Nadal would still end up in his half laughing The tournament would be much poorer without him but, as said, he's got over a week to recover sufficiently. I'll believe him pulling out when I see it (or, as it happens, not see it).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next