The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup

+57
Portnoy
poissonrouge
screamingaddabs
emack2
Rava
marty2086
JDandfries
cabbagesandbrussels
Notch
C'mon You Irish
gilfachhammer
GunsGerms
Shifty
Steven_Sharks
Forward Pass
Rob B
aucklandlaurie
21st Century Schizoid Man
Jello Biafra
boomeranga
Cowshot
Biltong
Backrower678
whocares
Feckless Rogue
funnyExiledScot
welshjohn369
welshy824
Knowsit17
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Boston Exile
greybeard
BATH_BTGOG
Luckless Pedestrian
Taylorman
Cymroglan
MeanAsCustard
Pal Joey
glamorganalun
majesticimperialman
red_stag
Glas a du
nganboy
MR. scotland27
sportboffin
Cari
maestegmafia
MBTGOG
Gibson
Thomond
David Tails
Johnny Dice
Mad for Chelsea
Enforcer
ADMIN
Davie
Adam D
61 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Who will win?

Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap42%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 98 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap5%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 12 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap14%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 33 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap10%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 24 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap7%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 16 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap3%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 7 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap5%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 5% 
[ 11 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap10%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 24 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap0%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 1 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap1%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 3 ]
Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_lcap1%Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 231

Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Empty Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup

Post by Adam D Wed 04 May 2011, 10:37 am

Simple question - who do you think will win this years World Cup?

Remember its in New Zealand people!

And who do you think will be in the final with them?

Last edited by Adam D (Hobo) on Wed 02 Nov 2011, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Empty Re: Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup

Post by Adam D Wed 04 May 2011, 10:38 am

I do think that the home team will win but I have a sneaky suspicion that Wales will come good and have a good tournament.

This is based on 99% wishful thinking, and 1% fact.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup Empty Re: Who is going to win the Rugby World Cup

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 10:54 am

Hobo - I think I'm right there with you on the wishful thinking part!

I really can't see past NZ winning it though, they're ahead of all the other teams at the moment imo. Tis a WC though so anything is possible....really looking forward to it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 May 2011, 11:20 am

looking at how the poll is going - 2 people have said Scotland! And I thought I was delusional by suggesting Wales would come 2nd!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 04 May 2011, 11:26 am

New Zealand are clearly the favourites - yet I just have a feeling they will manage to somehow mess up again. Apart from a patriotic feeling for England, I think the Saffers will be tough to beat

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 1:53 pm

I cant see past New Zealand this time. I think they are stronger than ever and will walk it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 2:10 pm

I voted England....mmmm....is there something I don't know ?

C'mon peeps, we got a good young side, full of confidence and style.
Just the side to give the Moari's a good drubbin'.

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Wed 04 May 2011, 2:18 pm

I think England will do well, I've gone for them as I can see them reaching the Final and hopefully the Kiwis bottle it at some point.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 04 May 2011, 2:21 pm

I think New Zealand will probably do it, but didn't want to be obvious and went for France. I can't believe Scotland have amassed more votes than them!

They a notoriously hit and miss, but I think that if they click going into the tournament they will be a threat.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 2:24 pm

I voted Scotland. There is an unpredictability about them.

I expect NZ or Aus to win it, but it never hurts to back an outsider.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 04 May 2011, 2:50 pm

I expect Scotland to do a lot better than they have recently, they seem to be building a solid squad for the first time since the 6 Nations started.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 04 May 2011, 2:54 pm

Its good to see that although someone accused the majority of the posters on rugby of being Welsh, they havent got one vote yet!

They finished above Scotland, despite playing badly for the whole 6 nations.

If they could have played well in the game they lost to England, they would have won the whole thing in my opinion (like they did 3 years ago).

Wales are only a few moments of inspiration away from being the best Northern Hemisphere team.

England won most of their games playing to the best of their ability. Wales won there games whilst playing terribly. If Wales can find rhythm and form, they will be the biggest challengers to the Southern Hemisphere teams.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 2:58 pm

Hobo - I hate to say it but I think Wales' problems are bigger then just not finding form. We just don't have a good enough gameplan to suit the team. The axis of 9 is all wrong, and our back line look absolutely bereft of ideas (which is not usual for a Welsh team!)

We will currently continue to struggle to some half decent wins, but until our tactics are looked at, our forwards take the ball up more, and we get a fast passing 9...I really can't see us improving too much

ah man, I think I've just depressed myself a little bit! Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed 04 May 2011, 3:00 pm

I voted NZ, but not too sure really. Like SA at cricket they'll always have the "chokers" tag until they shake it off. This is a great chance for them, they're at home, they easily have the best team. However this also means the pressure will be that much higher...

England I see having a good tournament, they're a much better side than 2007, and their draw avoids the sides we've struggled against recently: NZ, SA and even Ireland (assuming NZ and SA finish top and Ireland second of their groups) are all in the opposite half I think. At the moment I have England-NZ in the final, and NZ to win it.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnny Dice Wed 04 May 2011, 3:03 pm

New Zealand wont choke in front of their own crowd.

This will be the most one sided world cup ever!

Johnny Dice

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 04 May 2011, 3:03 pm

I think that is misplaced optimism too Hobo! I don't think there is enough talent in the squad (spefically the backs) to be able to challenge at the business end of the tournament.

Throughout the AIs and 6Nations I was struggling to see how we were going to break the defensive line with the ball in hand.

Unless a major overhaul of style and Gatlands favoured players (Phillips in particular) takes place I won't be holding out any hope.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 3:34 pm

Enforcer - I disagree that we don't have the talent in the squad. The backs especially have bags more talent then is being shown at international level.

I do agree with you that the overhaul of style is what is needed. Without that we're just going to stagnate even more...which makes it all the more frustrating as you can see what our players are capable of, they just aren't producing the goods!

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Wed 04 May 2011, 3:38 pm

In the centre I just don't see any creativity. Jamie Roberts has gotten predictable and easy to shut down and who ever he has been paired with doesn't seem to create.

Talent was probably the wrong word, I think it is the type of players (or possibly style) that is the problem.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 May 2011, 3:49 pm

With regards to Jamie Roberts I think we just use him wrong. There is much more to him then being a crash ball runner, he has the skills to be used differently but for some reason Gats and co don't do this.

I think Jonathan Davies has the potential to be our creative player in the centre. He's learnt a heck of a lot from King at the Scarlets, has an eye for space, a pretty decent pass and what's more he doesn't run sideways across the field like Hook does.

Our main problem in the backs though imo comes from the lack of quick ball. That stems from our forwards not carrying the ball enough, not protecting it enough at the breakdown, and Gats persisting with a scurm half with a slow pass. Work on those three and I reckon we'll see a huge difference in our backs (or that might just be wishful thinking!)

With regards to the world cup I honestly think Wales will be lucky to make it out of their group (oh how I hope I'm wrong)

The main danger teams for me are NZ, England, Australia, SA and France. Can't really see anyone else getting a look in, which is a shame.

Back to top Go down

Post by David Tails Wed 04 May 2011, 4:00 pm

'Mon the Scotland!

David Tails

http://officerrahl.livejournal.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed 04 May 2011, 4:36 pm

The Aussies.They could wreak havoc.Ireland will have a good tournament but fall short of final spot.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed 04 May 2011, 5:19 pm

I voted for Oz,
They are the only ones for NZ. No hang-ups and are deadly in full-flow.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Wed 04 May 2011, 5:55 pm

Went for Ireland as Scotland had dome votes yet we didn't. That needed to be changed.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 May 2011, 6:05 pm

The Kiwis are the obvious favourites and the chocker tag cant stick forever, though i reckon ireland could be a big surprise at this world cup.

If they can get out of their group and through the summer without any injuries then they do have the ability to beat anyone on their day.

They dismantled a form England team with ease in the six nations.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 04 May 2011, 6:07 pm

If there'd been a "Not sure" button, I would've cowardly pressed that. My heart says New Zealand, but they could fall at the last hurdle... Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 04 May 2011, 6:16 pm

Anyone could fall at the last hurdle.

Look at how many times a team has surprised everyone at the world cups past.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by sportboffin Wed 04 May 2011, 9:58 pm

AB's to lose imo

sportboffin

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. scotland27 Sat 07 May 2011, 3:58 pm

As much as i would love Scotland to win even voting for them on a poll would be a bit ridicuolous.
MR. scotland27
MR. scotland27

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Sun 15 May 2011, 2:07 pm

Ian Gough tweeted to say it will be a Wales v Italy final.

I think he has taken one too many knocks.

Wales? Wink

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Mon 16 May 2011, 12:12 am

NZ should...
Aus could...

SA might...

the others won't
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Tue 24 May 2011, 5:08 am

I have voted for New Zealand. I would have voted for them before every World Cup. They were the best side in the World long before 1987 and still are. Every loss by New Zealand is an aberration. Every loss at a WC even more so. Look at how they are placed. They lost to Australia at the crucial time. You can not underestimate how much this will add to their prep. It means they are a wounded animal going into the tournament and on a rising plane. They have home advantage. Nobody will urine in their soup in their own back yard. Carter and McCaw are fit. France are all over the shop. Australia don't have a wet weather pack, and it will be wet. England won't get past Ireland. BOD is a year too old for this competition. The saffers will suffer revenge for 1995. I discount all others, without feeling the need for justification (this post is long enough as it is). In fact, it may be a cliche, but the only team that can beat New Zealand at this WC is themselves. The Ghosts of dead All Blacks will be circling the stand: "we never let New Zealand down, if there had been a World Cup we'd have won it every time, whaoooo!". When they play, the All Blacks will see their boyhood heroes and mentors in the crowd. No pressure, like. Just do it. If that pressure does get to the All Blacks, I think whoever wins the Ireland v Australia game will win the whole thing.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed 25 May 2011, 2:07 am

I like your style Glas Wink
Can't keep up with all your postings though - how do you do it?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Wed 25 May 2011, 9:37 am

Aussies to lose to Ireland in pool stage and then South Africa in quarters. NZ to win final.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 31 May 2011, 7:37 pm

I think it is only fair to say that NZ are clear favourites.But, But they was also clear favourites in 2007, and look what happend then.

Although i do think that NZ will be hard to beat at home, i can't help feeling that SA will be pushing for it too.

If SA do win it will be the first time a team as won back to back world cups.

Who will be in the final with(NZ) Hopefully England.

But in all seriousness will NZ make the final? Erm

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:20 pm

I voted Oz, they play a fast open game and better at it than anyone else, I hope I am wrong

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 04 Jun 2011, 1:40 pm

nganboy wrote:NZ should...
Aus could...

SA might...

the others won't

I agree with this.
ABs should win big if in the Final. Semi final will be the pressure cooker, imo...but they should prevail
Oz - better team than '03 and 07', forwards have more grunt and backs look as slick as ever - but as good as ABs? I'm not so sure.
SA - Can never discount them. Maybe slight drop in intensity in international form but they still have the goods as seen in S15 performances.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 06 Jun 2011, 3:03 pm

Australia to beat NZ in the Final. They are the only ones - besides the Saffers, who can, imo.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by MeanAsCustard Mon 06 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm

I can't see past New Zealand.

The World Cup is an attritional squad tournament - look at your 2nd choice squad members to see how well you will do!

MeanAsCustard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Mon 06 Jun 2011, 7:28 pm

At the present time New Zealand are a few steps ahead of the rest. If France turn up in the right frame of mind I would not discount them either

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:09 pm

The difference between this and the last 5 failures is its at home.
Hopefully that will be THE diff...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:48 am

Surely though a team like the All Blacks shouldn't need home advantage to win it. I've always thought the strenght of a great team was to win on the road.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 07 Jun 2011, 8:51 am

I think New Zealand will win it and I'll be really pleased for them if they do. The only question is how they'll handle the pressure, which is going to be virtually inescapable.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:42 am

I fancy Aus to cause a shock
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

I think if NZ win it they'll win the next 3 in a row. The monkey will be off their back and they can go about the business of proving their world dominance.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

Like Brazil not winning the world cup between 1970-1994 ... 24 years, then wining again in 2002 after losing to hosts France in 1998.

NZ - 1987 +24 years ... win in 2011, then again in 2019. Hosts, England to win in 2015 perhaps?

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Boston Exile Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:09 pm

Head tells me NZ should win it, and if they do I expect it to be at a canter like 1987. Just got a sneaking suspicion the Australia may spoil the party.

SA and France have the belligerence and talent respectively. England and Ireland cannot be discounted as long as they negotiate the group stages but SF as far as likely to go. No-one else close including Scotland unfortunately.

Boston Exile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:18 pm

I know they're Six Nations champions, but I don't know how anyone can tip England as potential World Cup winners. Their pack won't win them games on their own, their half backs can be got at and rattled, their centres are not the Dynamic Duo and Chris Ashton will only score tries if someone else makes a break for him.

They still have a better chance than Wales, though. Crying or Very sad

P.S. I'm exaggerating for effect about England, but I genuinely don't see them as contenders.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

England have a good draw, which could see them in semi-finals against teams (France and Aussie) that their style often works against. I don't think they've quite got the game to knock over NZ or SA, but in a one-off game ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:03 pm

Not in 2011 luckless I agree. I was just being polite about 2015...

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 07 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

Kiwi, I didn't think much of England's chances in 2007 and they almost bloody won the thing, so who knows?

Linebreaker, this is a young England team and if they can stick together and bring in / remove the odd player as they go along, they'll be a much tougher prospect in 2015.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next