The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Say it ain't so!

+3
bhb001
horizontalhero
The Boss
7 posters

Go down

Say it ain't so! Empty Say it ain't so!

Post by The Boss Tue 09 Apr 2013, 7:04 pm

Evening lads,

Joe Frazier and Marvin Hagler are my two favourite boxers of all time. Neither are the best fighters p4p but both feature quite highly on ATG lists. However, their biggest rivals almost always feature higher up these lists.

Joe went life and death with the one and only Muhammad Ali in probably the most famous trilogy in the history of boxing. Smokin' Joe won the 1st fight with Ali tying the series up in the 2nd. And so, on to Manila they went. Joe had warned Eddie Futch to, under no circumstances, was he to throw in the towel in the fight, yet at the end of the 14th, Eddie did just that and stopped the fight.

Marv, on the other hand spent a significant portion of his career establishing himself as the best middleweight in the world and 1 of the best of all time. Come to the tail end of his career, disregarding the extenuating circumstances, he finally got the fight he wanted with. Sugar Ray Leonard. In my eys time had caught up with Marv and SRL got the decision and that was all she wrote (Not that I agree with it).

This thread, however, is not meant to talk about the decisions or ramifications of these fights but rather to discuss results that you simply can't believe. Every time I watch these fights or read about them I suspend my better senses and imagine a scenario where Eddie Futch had not thrown in the towel and Joe had went on to win the series or where Marv had clearly and undeniably beaten SRL.

So my question is.

Do any of yous have any examples of fights where you just can't believe the result? Or find yourselves hoping for a different outcome?

Cheers

The Boss

Back to top Go down

Say it ain't so! Empty Re: Say it ain't so!

Post by horizontalhero Wed 10 Apr 2013, 6:46 am

Meldrick Taylor v JCC. Every time I think just keep moving and out of trouble , and you have cemented your place in history. The other one for me is graham v Jackson. Graham was seconds away from being world champ, and he deserved to be remembered as one.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 7:57 am

In some ways, Honeyghan vs Curry is one for me. Although it's hats off to Honeyghan for a comprehensive win and an excellent career afterwards, I really wanted to see Curry vs Hagler and this effectively put the nail in that coffin.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by DoubleD22 Wed 10 Apr 2013, 8:54 am

Hearns KO Of Duran, Dont get me wrong Duran had a fantastic career and features much higher on most peoples all time p4p list but I really feel this loss and the manner in which it came has dented his reputation, would of loved this fight to have gone the opposite way with Duran knocking out Hearns.

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Apr 2013, 9:03 am

Like Horizontal...in an ideal world, Herol Graham decides not to get sloppy and doesn't charge in face first, Julian Jackson doesn't land that right hand and Herol continues to out box and out fox his man until the Hawk is retired by his corner and the referee.

Lewis/Holyfield I - Lewis had Holy hurt on the ropes in the 5th and doesn't press his advantage. Eugenia Williams gives that round to Evander. Lewis also catches Holy in the 12th with a lovely shot that has him holding on, Lewis doesn't seems to notice and begins pumping his fist in the air in (premature) victory...oh if only he'd taken a step back or pushed Holyfield away and landed one more big right hand.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 10 Apr 2013, 10:49 am

Bit like bhb above, as a Brit I wanted Benn to beat McClellan, but as a fight fan I wanted to see McClellan jones. Clearly you wouldn't wish the ending of that fight regardless.

Picking up on horizontal's point Re chavez Taylor... I found myself screaming at Lou duva to shut up at the end of the 11th round. Gutted for Taylor at the end.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Wed 10 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

DAVE667 wrote:Like Horizontal...in an ideal world, Herol Graham decides not to get sloppy and doesn't charge in face first, Julian Jackson doesn't land that right hand and Herol continues to out box and out fox his man until the Hawk is retired by his corner and the referee.

Lewis/Holyfield I - Lewis had Holy hurt on the ropes in the 5th and doesn't press his advantage. Eugenia Williams gives that round to Evander. Lewis also catches Holy in the 12th with a lovely shot that has him holding on, Lewis doesn't seems to notice and begins pumping his fist in the air in (premature) victory...oh if only he'd taken a step back or pushed Holyfield away and landed one more big right hand.

Holyfield doesn't go down, he's invincible.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:17 am

Doesn't necessarily have to stop him but a 10-8 round makes Lewis a clear winner

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Wed 10 Apr 2013, 11:55 am

If Chavez Jr had of stopped Martinez in that 12th round I would have threw myself off a very tall building. I absolutely mean that.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 10 Apr 2013, 1:43 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:If Chavez Jr had of stopped Martinez in that 12th round I would have threw myself off a very tall building. I absolutely mean that.
I'd love to have been there...to sellotape Steffan to you before you went

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down