The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GB draw Croatia away in Davis cup

+12
carrieg4
banbrotam
kingraf
hawkeye
Calder106
lydian
Mad for Chelsea
Born Slippy
bogbrush
teassoc
The Special Juan
LuvSports!
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

GB draw Croatia away in Davis cup Empty GB draw Croatia away in Davis cup

Post by LuvSports! Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:18 am

Just saw this on the daviscup twitter page.

Thoughts? Toughy but I think very winnable. A vociferous home support, with the likes of cilic, dodig, karlovic will make it tough but with andy there we have a good shot.

Other ties are:
Japan v Colombia in Japan
Belgium v Israel in Belgium
Australia v Poland in Poland
Germany v Brazil in Germany
Switzerland v Ecuador in Switzerland
Croatia v Great Britain in Croatia
Austria v Netherlands in Netherlands
Spain v Ukraine in Spain

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

GB draw Croatia away in Davis cup Empty Re: GB draw Croatia away in Davis cup

Post by The Special Juan Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

Tough but certainly not the worst draw that could have happened. With Murray back in the team (barring injury) I think it will come down to the doubles unless Evo/Wardy beat Dodig/Karlovic. I expect GB to go through 3-2 or 3-1.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:28 am

Apparently karlovic retired from davis cup at the end of 2012. Interesting.
They have veic and karanusic from what i remember.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:55 am

Murray's participation shouldn't be taken for granted as it's only 5 days after US open.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:01 pm

teassoc wrote:Murray's participation shouldn't be taken for granted as it's only 5 days after US open.
He's have a good week at least to prepare then.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 pm

Murray's already said he will play and Croatia away will presumably be on hard courts so he'll probably play. Likely to come down to doubles albeit Cilic is good enough to shock Murray and the 2nd Croatian is within range of an upset by Ward/Evans.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:15 pm

It's a decent draw. AT least we know Croatia won't play on clay just to downplay the Murray factor as Cilic is even worse on clay than Murray is Very Happy

Seriously though, Murray should win both his matches (Cilic could be tough with his home crowd but still back Murray to come through that one). Cilic will beat Evans/Ward you'd think, but I'd give Evans a decent chance against someone like Dodig, he seems to really thrive on the big occasion. I'd definitely pick Evans for this one, Croatia will probably choose a fairly fast surface and that's what he's most suited to. The doubles could be key of course, who plays doubles for Croatia?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:15 pm

Dont agree there M4C. Suspect the Croatian's will play it on clay to counter GB's faster court capabilities. Clay courts are very common over there and most juniors are adept on it. Cilic has reached 4 clay finals, Murray none. Dodig is more at home on HC but he's a good ralleyer and fit as a butcher's dog (or Dodig). If you get Ward or Evans into longer ralleys they're going to break down, neither hardly play clay all year long. Likewise in the doubles Marray's and Fleming's success is much more on faster courts. Wont be an easy tie for GB at all but with Murray in the team anything's possible - the doubles result will be crucial.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:17 pm

scratch that, apparently Cilic has reached four clay court finals says Lydian (who can usually be trusted)... I do remember Murray completely outclassing Cilic on clay a few years ago though, so not sure which finals he's reached...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Usually? lol

I don't see Murray as the factor here, he's a top player and should be able to perform on any surface against the likes of Cilic. The key is Ward or Evans plus the doubles pairing. This is where Croatia will look. Ward or Evans wont be able to cut it the same on clay as they would on faster HC or indoors. Marray's prowess at net will be reduced on clay also. It's still a winnable tie but I think clay tips it into Croatia's balance. They've also got Antonio Veic at #145 ranking who's favourite surface is clay - won a Challenger on it last year and 2 other finals. He's reached 3rd round of RG too.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 pm

PS. Veic beat Ward 76 61 on clay at Santiago Challenger just a month ago.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:35 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:scratch that, apparently Cilic has reached four clay court finals says Lydian (who can usually be trusted)... I do remember Murray completely outclassing Cilic on clay a few years ago though, so not sure which finals he's reached...

Umag (Croatia) twice. Won one lost one. Munich twice lost both. Murray, even though clay is his poorest surface, has reached the FO quarters (2012) and semis (2011) plus semis in Monte Carlo and Rome. All of which would have stronger fields. So on clay there is probably not much between them on past records..

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:33 pm

Will Murray Play? This from The Telegraph under the headline "Andy Murray says he will 'definitely' play for Great Britain team in Davis Cup play-offs in September"

Andy Murray was said last night to remain fully committed to ending his two-year Davis Cup exile after Great Britain’s historic heroics against Russia left them on the brink of returning to the World Group.

the new world No 2, has not played for his country since 2011, missing both ties in 2012 after hitting out at the “messed up” tennis schedule.

But he vowed after pulling out of the weekend’s dramatic Europe/African Zone Group I tie that he would “definitely” be available later this year for a match that will take place between September 13 and 15.

A spokesman for the Scot insisted last night that nothing had changed, telling Telegraph Sport: “He said he would play, so it’s something he’s very much still set for in September.”

The 25-year-old could hardly have imagined his comeback tie would be a World Group play-off after Britain lost both singles rubbers to Russia on Friday but they rallied on Saturday and Sunday to win from 2-0 down for the first time in 83 years.

Despite being focused on pre­paring for the clay-court season, Murray kept abreast of proceedings at Coventry’s Ricoh Arena, sending messages of support during the tie and congratulations after the team's dramatic victory.

His spokesman insisted plans for Murray to take part in a potentially lucrative IPL-style tennis tournament at the end of the season would not stop him taking part in the Davis Cup tie.

But having seen Murray make himself unavailable for so long, the Lawn Tennis Association was understandably cautious in its response to hearing that he is committed to playing in a tie still more than five months away.

It was “hopeful” that Murray would play, saying Great Britain captain Leon Smith – who has worked wonders with the likes of Dan Evans and James Ward – would discuss his return with him in coming months.

Those talks could be influenced by Wednesday’s draw, which will determine whether Britain play their next tie in Europe or the Far East. There are eight potential opponents, with away ties possible in Spain, Austria, Croatia and Belgium and home clashes with Switzerland, Germany and Australia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9980193/Andy-Murray-says-he-will-definitely-play-for-Great-Britain-team-in-Davis-Cup-play-offs-in-September.html

The article was written before the draw. So will the tie being held in Croatia affect his participation? Also noted that although Murray personally sent messages to the GB boys his communication regarding his participation was via a spokesperson. Is the LTA right to remain cautious?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:34 pm

when they played back in 09 at the FO, cilic had leads in the first two sets but murray clawed him back before running away with the third.
Surely it is a no brainer to play on clay, weakens our strongest asset.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:56 pm

the choice of surface is an interesting one: you either pick a surface to play to your strengths or to the opposition's weakness. GB when at home pick a fast indoor court as this suits their doubles team and their n°2 man (there's no point picking a surface to favour your strongest player when he's the best man between both teams by a mile as Murray usually is - Switzerland play on clay as Wawrinka favours it).

I would suggest Croatia shouldn't focus too much on Murray as the chances are he'll win both his singles rubbers anyway (yes Cilic could conceivably beat him, but the odds aren't good at all). So they should look to the other three matches and try to work out which surface gives them the best chance of winning those. Assuming Cilic would beat Ward/Evans in any case (very likely indeed) that means you're looking at giving your n°2 and doubles team the best chance at beating GB's. That probably means clay, so I guess I've changed my mind somewhat.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:18 pm

Have Croatia ever played a home match on clay? My recollection is that they play on indoor hard usually. I would be surprised if they played on their two leading players' worst surface just to blunt GB's team.

This comparison of players who have made finals in places like Umag to Murray makes me smile. Murray's record at the clay events he enters (the big ones) is better than Almagro - a man who has made 18 lesser clay finals. Its his weakest surface but the no finals point is a bit of a red herring.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:36 pm

My point is that Murray in a way is irrelevant and said so above. You have to bank on him getting 2 wins. So Croatia need the other 3. Are they going to play on fast indoors knowing that's GBs specialty? Anyone could see Evans loved a fast court from the match at the weekend, similarly Ward does best on HC. Its what GB guys learn tennis on, particularly indoor cement. Yes Cilic and Dodig are also adept on HC but they run the risk of playing further into GB hands. If it comes down to matches based around rallying I'd favour the Croatians 9 times out of 10. Plus the doubles match is crucial. If you put a team up against Marray/Fleming who love fast conditions then you're asking for trouble - unless the Croatians can suddenly call up Goran, Luber or Mario again.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:52 pm

BS they played on an indoor clay a few years ago, but you are right they have mainly played on indoor hard court.

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:22 pm

LuvSports! wrote:BS they played on an indoor clay a few years ago, but you are right they have mainly played on indoor hard court.

Against the USA i see. Ok, given that I suspect it will be on clay.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Definitely winnable. With Murray there, its definitely one win, and almost certainly two. I dont think he will play the doubles, but he is a capable doubles player and has an Olympic medal in it (admittedly mixed doubles). So if he gets through his first match in straights, I can see him playing doubles, especially if there is a chance to kill the tie.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm

hawkeye wrote:Will Murray Play? This from The Telegraph under the headline "Andy Murray says he will 'definitely' play for Great Britain team in Davis Cup play-offs in September"

Andy Murray was said last night to remain fully committed to ending his two-year Davis Cup exile after Great Britain’s historic heroics against Russia left them on the brink of returning to the World Group.

the new world No 2, has not played for his country since 2011, missing both ties in 2012 after hitting out at the “messed up” tennis schedule.

But he vowed after pulling out of the weekend’s dramatic Europe/African Zone Group I tie that he would “definitely” be available later this year for a match that will take place between September 13 and 15.

A spokesman for the Scot insisted last night that nothing had changed, telling Telegraph Sport: “He said he would play, so it’s something he’s very much still set for in September.”

The 25-year-old could hardly have imagined his comeback tie would be a World Group play-off after Britain lost both singles rubbers to Russia on Friday but they rallied on Saturday and Sunday to win from 2-0 down for the first time in 83 years.

Despite being focused on pre­paring for the clay-court season, Murray kept abreast of proceedings at Coventry’s Ricoh Arena, sending messages of support during the tie and congratulations after the team's dramatic victory.

His spokesman insisted plans for Murray to take part in a potentially lucrative IPL-style tennis tournament at the end of the season would not stop him taking part in the Davis Cup tie.

But having seen Murray make himself unavailable for so long, the Lawn Tennis Association was understandably cautious in its response to hearing that he is committed to playing in a tie still more than five months away.

It was “hopeful” that Murray would play, saying Great Britain captain Leon Smith – who has worked wonders with the likes of Dan Evans and James Ward – would discuss his return with him in coming months.

Those talks could be influenced by Wednesday’s draw, which will determine whether Britain play their next tie in Europe or the Far East. There are eight potential opponents, with away ties possible in Spain, Austria, Croatia and Belgium and home clashes with Switzerland, Germany and Australia.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9980193/Andy-Murray-says-he-will-definitely-play-for-Great-Britain-team-in-Davis-Cup-play-offs-in-September.html

The article was written before the draw. So will the tie being held in Croatia affect his participation? Also noted that although Murray personally sent messages to the GB boys his communication regarding his participation was via a spokesperson. Is the LTA right to remain cautious?

Hawkeye's one article of being nice to Andy, is officialy over laughing

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Murray may get to the US Open final - considering the DC tie starts 4 days later on the other side of the Atlantic I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't participate. Croatia may put it on clay to further dissuade him - again considering he may have had a long run on HC at USO with little or no time to prepare before the tie starts.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:00 pm

BanBrotam- I thought about Geeing HE up a little more (I love drama, you see?), but decided I am South African, and I actually couldnt be bothered.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:44 pm

banbrotam, kingraf

Rolling Eyes clearly this is a kindergarten level of discussion if we are not allowed to speculate about Murray's participation in the Davis Cup. Including his motivation. This speculation does take place elsewhere including at the LTA itself. But here on 606v2 Murray's fans pounce on anything they decree is being less than nice to Andy. Not to discuss the issue but to attempt to silence the discussion. And "Geeing up HE"? Quite right why should you be bothered.

lydian. IMO Murray won't play. However well or badly he does at the US Open.

From the Telegraph article it appears he hasn't communicated directly with the LTA himself. That to me doesn't suggest a close working relationship. After the GB teams impressive and unexpected win a personal message would perhaps be expected. First of all a congratulations and then perhaps some comment on his participation in an unexpected higher level world group play off. That the tie will be away from home in conditions that would perhaps not be to his liking makes his participation even less likely. (As he was reluctant to play in ties at home when the LTA would bend over backwards to please him).

I also think (based on recent stories) that Murray has an eye on making extra cash. Time at the top in tennis is short and he isn't making as much as he perhaps would have expected (relatively... Ha ha!). That "April Fools" tournament might take up a bit of time.

Those in the media are so desperate for him to play that they don't appear to see the evidence in front of them... neither do his fans. I would be quite happy to be proved wrong though. As I've said before I can't understand why Murray hasn't been advised to play purely for PR reasons as it would only do good.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:52 pm

HE- No harm meant. It was just a (admittedly bad) joke. You should know I dont take "sides" generally & have in fact backed you on several seperate threads. My apologies if you took offense.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Murray said he would be available for the September tie when announcing he wolud not play in the tie against Russia.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/tennis/andy-murray-confirms-hell-miss-1585904

If he hasn't changed his mind why does he need to come out and say it again ?

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:00 pm

hawkeye wrote:banbrotam, kingraf

Rolling Eyes clearly this is a kindergarten level of discussion if we are not allowed to speculate about Murray's participation in the Davis Cup. Including his motivation. This speculation does take place elsewhere including at the LTA itself. But here on 606v2 Murray's fans pounce on anything they decree is being less than nice to Andy. Not to discuss the issue but to attempt to silence the discussion. And "Geeing up HE"? Quite right why should you be bothered.

lydian. IMO Murray won't play. However well or badly he does at the US Open.

From the Telegraph article it appears he hasn't communicated directly with the LTA himself. That to me doesn't suggest a close working relationship. After the GB teams impressive and unexpected win a personal message would perhaps be expected. First of all a congratulations and then perhaps some comment on his participation in an unexpected higher level world group play off. That the tie will be away from home in conditions that would perhaps not be to his liking makes his participation even less likely. (As he was reluctant to play in ties at home when the LTA would bend over backwards to please him).

I also think (based on recent stories) that Murray has an eye on making extra cash. Time at the top in tennis is short and he isn't making as much as he perhaps would have expected (relatively... Ha ha!). That "April Fools" tournament might take up a bit of time.

Those in the media are so desperate for him to play that they don't appear to see the evidence in front of them... neither do his fans. I would be quite happy to be proved wrong though. As I've said before I can't understand why Murray hasn't been advised to play purely for PR reasons as it would only do good.

Erm He spoke directly to Leon Smith and his spokesperson issued a statement. What was he supposed to do? Call a press conference? He would then be accused of trying to overshadow the team or something. Of course they are saying things like 'plans to' and 'barring injury' as who knows what will happen? It is the appropriate time for him to step back in and be part of an effective team rather than carrying them as he had to in the John Lloyd days. Unfortunately as far as PR goes he is in a no-win situation. Many would have questioned whether he was sacrificing his clay season had he played this time around as it is well known that he needs a lot of prep time for that surface. Anyhow, speculate away but it appears clear that he fully plans to play at the moment.

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 pm

I really would personally prefer it if Murray never played in the tie. Allow Ward and Evans to test themselves against the big boys again building their confidence and perhaps enabling them to fire them up the rankings. The Davis Cup will never be a viable target for GB until we find a second world class player.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 pm

I guess another way of looking at it is that theres nothing meaningful happening for a while after USO, so Murray may just see it as reason to have a go.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 pm

Am i reading correctly that HE thinks that the LTA/Leon Smith only found out that Murray was playing through a spokesman?

Lydian's point that Croatia may put the tie on clay to put Murray off playing makes sense. As it happens, I think he's very unlikely to pull out this time given the early commitment he has made. I think he would feel he was letting the guys down and i think we can see by his reaction to Ross Hutchin's illness that he is quite close to the team.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Yes good point BS, he's definitely part of the team and didn't want to play last weekend I guess because it would disrupt his MC/clay prep but September should be fine before the Asian swing.

On the other hand is the argument that the team last weekend have earned the right to play the Croatian draw...but that's a simplistic view as we're trying to get into the world group and can't do that in all likelihood without Murray.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:10 pm

kingraf wrote:HE- No harm meant. It was just a (admittedly bad) joke. You should know I dont take "sides" generally & have in fact backed you on several seperate threads. My apologies if you took offense.

No harm taken. Smile

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/22100820

Seems Henman is now having a pop Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Meh, I agree with him. I dislike people who waste talent and Evans is wasting his talent by not giving it 100%. He could be our second "world class" player but will never fulfill his big potential because of a bad attitude to work. I appreciate he understands this but the fact he's doing nothing about it really annoys me. I think he's being a bit harsh on Wardy though.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 pm

I agree with Henman too. Anyone watching the DC match on Sunday ( as I did via the LTA website) could see Evans has got loads of talent and plays with a SHBH too! The difference at these higher levels is often the will to work and improve. If you put natural talent to one side for a minute, you can almost uniformally state that the higher the ranking the harder the guy is working, it's as simple as that.

BUT...big but...we don't know what support Evans has. I don't know how sponsored by the LTA he is. It's a massive slog up the rankings, to break into the top 100 requires not only massive dedication but huge investment from everyone around the player. Evans parents will have already committed themselves to the hilt...and from what I see Evans is mainly playing the AEGON GB Pro Series where you play the same UK guys over and over...he's got a good enough ranking from that but is getting stuck in the rut of trying to earn abit of money without having to travelling far and wide. He has to make the decision to break outside the UK circuit to push on - as Henman did at 20yo - BUT I don't know how much the LTA are behind him to support that because it costs huge wonga to go travelling. Prize money from Challengers is a pittance even if you make semis/finals. Tennis is a very expensive sport to succeed in...before the big prize money for the top40 or so comes their way. It's not as straight forward as calling Evans an underachiever, we don't know his full situation and he may not have come from as wealthy stock as Henman did.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:31 pm

He lost his funding at the end of last year because of his lack of progression/attitude issues.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:35 pm

The Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) has announced the 21 players that have been selected for Team Aegon 2013. The Team Aegon programme provides the highest level of performance support from the LTA, as well as training support at performance venues either in Great Britain or abroad. Selection for the Team Aegon programme is based upon demonstrating the highest level of performance, and the potential to compete against the very best tennis players in the world.

http://www.lta.org.uk/players-parents/Performance-players/Player-funding/Team-AEGON/

Those performance players not retained for Team Aegon will continue to receive support from the LTA in the form of access to the National Tennis Centre, and the Tournament Bonus scheme which rewards success for players competing in Futures and Challenger events as well as on the ATP/WTA Tours. In 2013, there will be 38 weeks of playing opportunities on the Aegon GB Pro Series.

So Ward is on the Aegon list but 2nd ranked Jamie Baker isnt. Nor is Dan Evans. Selection for the Team Aegon programme is based upon demonstrating the highest level of performance, and the potential to compete against the very best tennis players in the world...maybe this why Baker, Evans and others aren't picked, and I guess if they're not picked for Aegon Team then their travel costs won't be supported. Evans has to make a case for himself on the UK circuit to get onto the Aegon Team, hopefully the DC performance will push him on.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks BS, didn't realise he'd been dropped again. Explains it all doesn't it if he's squandering the chance given. Just shows that the will to want to succeed is just as important as raw ability. This is what set guys like Henman and Murray apart on the UK scene. We don't have a talent shortage, we have a 'hunger' issue. How much of this points back to LTA I don't know...
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:44 pm

Dropped in 2012 as BS states: http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sport/tennis/davis-cup-baker-dropped-as-evans-wins-place-back-1-2879005 but looks like Smith still believes in him.

Also dropped in 2010: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/lta-dumps-underperforming-players-2155735.html

Gives details on financial support too. Looks like its going to be now or never for Evans.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 pm

hawkeye wrote:From the Telegraph article it appears he hasn't communicated directly with the LTA himself. That to me doesn't suggest a close working relationship

Yeah!! And 2 and 2 make 7!! Because all top sportsman regularly 'communicate' direct with their sporting bodies, as opposed to using the expensive personel they employ for such work picard

hawkeye wrote:After the GB teams impressive and unexpected win a personal message would perhaps be expected. First of all a congratulations and then perhaps some comment on his participation in an unexpected higher level world group play off

And of course he would then be accused by the likes of you of 'bandwagon' jumping of the highest order Whistle

hawkeye wrote:That the tie will be away from home in conditions that would perhaps not be to his liking makes his participation even less likely. (As he was reluctant to play in ties at home when the LTA would bend over backwards to please him)

Cilic on Clay is not an issue

hawkeye wrote:Those in the media are so desperate for him to play that they don't appear to see the evidence in front of them... neither do his fans. I would be quite happy to be proved wrong though. As I've said before I can't understand why Murray hasn't been advised to play purely for PR reasons as it would only do good.

Simply because the PR side isn't relevant to him. Why on earth sacrifice yourself for a tie that others can win - enter the competition when needed for the key events

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Seem to recall he was dropped once before as well for going out clubbing. So three times in about 5 years.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm disgusted to learn that Andy Murray is not funded by the LTA(!) How is he expected to scale the rankings without all their money(?) Ridiculous(!!)

I think Evans said somewhere that he liked having the people around him and having Leon Smith (nearly typed Leon Osman) talking to him during the sit-down's. My guess is he needs a very good coach but coaches cost money which he doesn't get from the LTA because he doesn't work hard enough because he doesn't have a very good coach because he doesn't have enough money because he doesn't work hard enough................... He's stuck in a circle is Evo. I hope he can drag himself out of it.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:05 pm

Maybe it's the other way round - perhaps he was handed the silver spoon without having to do a lot to get it performance gains wise. Amazing to see a player bottom out like that given the 10-12 hard years of playing tennis 4-6 times a week to get to where he was at 18 yo. Given he can raise his ability in DC he has the talent...a shame if he can't push on.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:24 pm

He was being coached by Hoferlin (Oli Rochus' former coach) this time last year. Not sure if that is still the case. I presume that was funded by the LTA.

Worth noting incidentally that for a while he was the world's top-ranked teenager when he was at about 250 aged 19. Compare him now to Janowicz who is around the same age...

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 pm

That may be slightly wrong - he may have been the top ranked 18 year old.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 pm

lydian wrote:The Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) has announced the 21 players that have been selected for Team Aegon 2013. The Team Aegon programme provides the highest level of performance support from the LTA, as well as training support at performance venues either in Great Britain or abroad. Selection for the Team Aegon programme is based upon demonstrating the highest level of performance, and the potential to compete against the very best tennis players in the world.

http://www.lta.org.uk/players-parents/Performance-players/Player-funding/Team-AEGON/

Those performance players not retained for Team Aegon will continue to receive support from the LTA in the form of access to the National Tennis Centre, and the Tournament Bonus scheme which rewards success for players competing in Futures and Challenger events as well as on the ATP/WTA Tours. In 2013, there will be 38 weeks of playing opportunities on the Aegon GB Pro Series.

So Ward is on the Aegon list but 2nd ranked Jamie Baker isnt. Nor is Dan Evans. Selection for the Team Aegon programme is based upon demonstrating the highest level of performance, and the potential to compete against the very best tennis players in the world...maybe this why Baker, Evans and others aren't picked, and I guess if they're not picked for Aegon Team then their travel costs won't be supported. Evans has to make a case for himself on the UK circuit to get onto the Aegon Team, hopefully the DC performance will push him on.

Evans has had a tough time. He was only selected at the last minute to play in the tie. An article in The Times describes exactly how tough.

Evans has been dropped from the LTA’s Matrix funding squads, criticised for his lack of endeavour, become an outcast and had his coach taken away from him, yet tomorrow he will be asked to take on either Evgeny Donskoy or Dmitry Tursunov in a five-set battle that has brought from him in the past the kind of inspiration Britain certainly require.

In February last year, Evans was being bounced shoulder-high through the Braehead Arena, Glasgow, having defeated two Slovakians, Lukas Lacko and Martin Klizan, the first of whom is now ranked No 81 and the second, if he maintains his present levels, will be seeded for the next two grand-slam tournaments.

Evans is a demonstrably better player than his ranking, so there has to be something amiss with his temperament, his character, his application, for if these were all 100 per cent he would be inside the top 100.

It is not as if British tennis does not have previous experience of players so gifted and yet so gawky when it comes to trying to explain why he is not doing himself justice. Evans has played most of his recent matches in Britain on the Futures circuit, tournaments in which $10,000 (about £6,600) is divided out between the players and the tennis is “scratch-your-eyes-out” tough. He has not exactly pulled up many trees.

“I think I’m better than both of the guys in the singles,” Evans said yesterday, a comment likely to be borne out when the team line-up is announced this afternoon. “I am not practising at the National Tennis Centre (NTC), so people don’t get to know what I’m doing [talks are under way to rectify that situation] and I don’t know what they are doing, either. It is easier when someone sees you day in and day out.”

It did not help matters that Evans turned up at the NTC soon after Britain’s previous tie, a 4-1 defeat by Belgium, to find that the man who was coaching him, Julien Hoferlin, had been assigned to Oliver Golding, the former US Open junior champion, instead.

What the LTA regarded as a kick up the backside, Evans thought was one in the teeth. “I don’t think I’ve gone backwards, but I don’t think I’ve gone forwards either,” he said.

“I’ve just stayed where I was. I’m not saying it is anyone else’s fault. I’m pretty clear whose fault it is. There are pretty small margins in sport, sometimes it is the way it goes. People can win matches and then all of a sudden you don’t win for three months and you don’t really know why.”

None of this sounds like much fun. It's a lot of sacrifice with a slim chance of reward together with a lot of criticism. Evans must be left with mixed feelings about continuing to put effort and gamble that he will be rewarded. If you were him what would you do? If you were his parent what would you advise? I for one can't see any silver spoons...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks HE, and look at the guy he beat...rising star Donskoy, similar age. Evans has the ability but it seems he and others havent been taking him seriously enough so far. This was an interesting read post-DC....

====================================================================

Dan Evans proved himself Great Britain’s man for the big occasion again when he clinched a remarkable Davis Cup victory over Russia, but he will have no complaints if he is not picked for the next tennis tie in September.

In the absence of Andy Murray, Evans has won three rubbers in as many matches against players ranked much higher than himself, first to seal victory against Slovakia last year and then Sunday’s heroics in Coventry.

The 22-year-old was not even picked in the original team for this tie after failing to make progress up the rankings in the last year – something he admits is because he does not train or work hard enough.

But captain Leon Smith changed his mind, dropping the always hard working Jamie Baker to bring in Evans.

Once again the Birmingham player did not let him down, appearing nerveless as he took to the court for the deciding rubber against world number 80 Evgeny Donskoy, a man ranked 245 places higher and regarded as one of the sport’s rising stars.

Evans did not just beat Donskoy he crushed him, winning 6-4 6-4 6-1.

The overall victory, Britain’s first from 2-0 down since 1930, means Smith’s side go forward to a World Group play-off in September with the chance to return to the elite group of 16 nations.

Murray has committed to playing in the tie, which could pit Britain against the likes of Spain, Switzerland, Germany or Australia. That means Smith will have to choose between Evans and James Ward, whose come-from-behind five-set win over Tursunov gave his team-mate the opportunity to clinch the tie.

Smith said: “That’s what we want. We want competition for places when Andy’s playing and when Andy’s not playing.”

Evans is ranked 324th to Ward’s 217, and he knows he has work to do if he wants to earn Smith’s faith another time.

He said: “Dropping people in any sport is hard and I’m grateful to Leon for having that difficult conversation. This time it worked but next time, if I’m not playing well, then that conversation might come to me and that’s fine.”

It is not for the want of trying by a number of coaches that Evans is still stuck in the lower reaches of professional tennis.

Having a team of people around him keeping him focused on the task in hand brings the best out of the 22-year-old, but if he is to fulfil his considerable talent then the drive must come from within himself.

The British number six said: “I’ve got to go into the next tournament positively. I’ve just played two very good matches.

“I do really want to get up the rankings. Everyone can write whatever but that’s my main goal, to get up the rankings and hopefully be number two to Andy. I’ve just got to train harder.

“I do believe on any given day I can beat almost anyone. I do believe in myself and I think that’s half the way there.

“I do look down the other end (at Donskoy) and think I’ve just won 6-4 6-4 6-1 but he’s going to play Monte Carlo next week and I’m going to practise.

“That’s where I need to be and that’s where I hope to be.”
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:40 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I'm disgusted to learn that Andy Murray is not funded by the LTA(!) How is he expected to scale the rankings without all their money(?) Ridiculous(!!)

I think Evans said somewhere that he liked having the people around him and having Leon Smith (nearly typed Leon Osman) talking to him during the sit-down's. My guess is he needs a very good coach but coaches cost money which he doesn't get from the LTA because he doesn't work hard enough because he doesn't have a very good coach because he doesn't have enough money because he doesn't work hard enough................... He's stuck in a circle is Evo. I hope he can drag himself out of it.

Andy Murray was provided with a one million pound/year coach fully funded by the LTA. It would be a nice gesture if he paid it back. I'm sure he could afford it.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:49 pm

Perhaps tellingly Evans most recent comments say it all:

"I know why. It's because I don't train hard enough and don't work hard enough day in and day out. I'm obviously pretty bad at my job. It's up to me, it's not up to anyone else. I want to push on. It's not that I don't want to do it, I obviously want to do it. It's just for whatever reasons, distractions – I need to stay there and just play tennis and that's it. It's easier said than done. Thousands of people have told me to do it but I'm yet to do it for a sustained period of time. When I do do it, I obviously play pretty well. I definitely think I will be top 100, and I still think that."

It's now in his hands.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:14 am

lydian.

Those recent comments combined with the description of the harshness of life on the lower rungs of pro tennis just leave me feeling sorry for Evans. No wonder there is a lack of young talent coming through not just in this country but generally.

I'm not really sure what the answer is but unless someone really has a passion for the sport pro tennis is not a good career path. One of the few things that could perhaps help is feeling part of a team. The top players have their own team around them to shelter them but for lower ranked players national associations could play a part. Sadly the LTA (from the glimpses we get from the outside) looks like the sort of place were you could just as likely get stabbed in the back as find a few friendly faces (Not literally stabbed in the back I hasten to add...)

People may have guessed that I do think the LTA focus way too much care and attention on Murray at the expense of other things that could benefit more. Murray doesn't need care and attention from the LTA he can buy his own. But Murray is in the position to give some care and attention back and by that I mean a little more than a few (reported) text messages.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next