The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rendall Munroe to come out of retirement.

+5
AlexHuckerby
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
TRUSSMAN66
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
hampo17
9 posters

Go down

Rendall Munroe to come out of retirement. Empty Rendall Munroe to come out of retirement.

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am

Former WBC super-bantamweight title challenger Rendall Munroe has confirmed he will come out of retirement and fight next month.

The Leicester fighter, 32, quit the ring after his sixth-round TKO defeat to Scott Quigg back in November. But he will fight in his home town on May 9 with his opponent still to be confirmed.

He cited weight problems and lack of motivation as reasons to retire at the time, though he also admits that being unable to go back to his former job as a binman is also a factor.

"I know I can still be a world champion," he told the Leicester Mercury. "I've been sparring and it's definitely still there. I won't say I feel better than I used to, but I'm enjoying the training more.

"I'm still eating healthily and now I'm eating more. I had been making 8st 10lbs for a long time and I don't think keeping my weight down for all those years did me any good.

"I walk around at 10 stones these days - and that's a lot of weight to lose for a fight.

"I had got fed up with the way I was being treated as well. I had worked hard, proved I was good enough to fight at world level and ended up fighting at domestic level again. I struggled to get up for my last fight."

Monroe says another reason for resuming his boxing career is that he has not been able to get his old job as a binman back.

"If they had me back on the bins, I wouldn't be thinking about boxing again," said Munroe.

"It was the perfect job for me. I was outside, exercising, seeing people and enjoying myself. I was there for eight years and only had one day off sick when they sent me home.

"We worked as a team. I was never disrespectful, did my work well and never had any disciplinary problems. I always said I would go back on the bins when I stopped boxing.

"I've been told they won't have me back because I've got an attitude problem - and that's rubbish."

Saw him post on twitter a few weeks ago that he was unable to return his jobs on the bins. Hope he hasn't gone broke already.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rendall Munroe to come out of retirement. Empty Re: Rendall Munroe to come out of retirement.

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Jesus, his comeback was quicker than any of TRUSSMAN's fifteen returns to the forum.

Rendall will only eke out a living at British or Euro level, his days as a contender at World level are long gone.

However, good luck to the fella and I wish him well.

Back to top Go down

Rendall Munroe to come out of retirement. Empty Re: Rendall Munroe to come out of retirement.

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Cannon fodder for up and comers it is now for Rendall.

Barely top 5 in his own country anymore at SBW.

Another fighter who will fight too long for peanuts...
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm

Not sure we'll see him back at SBW Reborn, maybe lightweight if he's walking round at 10 stone.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Fifteen??........I don't like odd numbers.........

The guy hasn't earn't enough and 9-5 is hard unless you have a Father-in-law with contacts........

Not sure where he goes from here........Age and the slap he took aren't on his side....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Even at lightweight, Burns, Mitchell, Rees, Murray, Crolla.... are only the tip of the iceberg, can't make a case for him winning anything of note. Maybe he can do us all a favor and get rid of Derry Matthews!

Quigg showed he's a sucker at the torso so won't be paying much attention to this comeback....(Not that I ever paid much attention to him anyway)
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:10 pm

It's been amazing that he's been able to make SBW for so long, he was a giant

Quigg was just a but too good for him, and fought the perfect fight agaisnt a weight drained fighter by hitting the body and keep moving

A fight wit him and Selby would be interesting as Selby is just past domestic level and Munroe is better than domestic level

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:40 pm

I like Munroe and hope he does well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm

He's not a great puncher though so that will count against him at the heavier weight.

Maybe being less drained will help his resistance against the bigger lads.

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:05 pm

hampo171 wrote:Not sure we'll see him back at SBW Reborn, maybe lightweight if he's walking round at 10 stone.

Lightweight? Are you sure he won't just go up to Feather...? Bit of a jump...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Will depend how much weight he feels comfortable losing I suppose.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 pm

it suprises me he needed to go back to the bins, he had a fairly sucessful career, shows lighter weights still dont make the big bucks apart from the odd one or two.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:33 pm

I hope he was meaning that wee joke/pun at the end

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:53 pm

Diamond in the rough wrote:I hope he was meaning that wee joke/pun at the end

Just read it back and that cracked me up no end.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:39 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:
Diamond in the rough wrote:I hope he was meaning that wee joke/pun at the end

Just read it back and that cracked me up no end.

i think he was just talking trash.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMackemMawler Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:44 pm

Most boxers fight once every six months.

Did Rendall actually retire or was he just p!ssed he got beat by a domestic fighter?

The time between this fight and his last is normal - 5 months.

If he did retire, then he's skint and has made a come back in his home town to get a percentage of the gate receipts.

Don't blame him, we all have to live.
TheMackemMawler
TheMackemMawler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down