The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

footballers of above average intelligence?

+13
dummy_half
Ent
sodhat
super_realist
TopHat24/7
hornbloweroafc
Dolphin Ziggler
JDizzle
Lumbering_Jack
CFCNick
Stella
Crimey
kingraf
17 posters

Go down

footballers of above average intelligence? Empty footballers of above average intelligence?

Post by kingraf Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:05 pm

I know Frank Lampard apparently has a very high IQ (smarter than the doctor who tested him, who is a Mensa member), and I remember Kaka mentioning that he wanted to study a degree later on. Are there any other above average footballers who are confirmed to have above average intelligence.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

footballers of above average intelligence? Empty Re: footballers of above average intelligence?

Post by Crimey Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:12 pm

Clark Carlisle is supposed to be pretty clever, although if I'm being honest he hasn't come across that intelligent in interviews! Laugh

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

footballers of above average intelligence? Empty Re: footballers of above average intelligence?

Post by Stella Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:18 pm

Steve Coppell had a degree in something. Rio is studying for a degree in tweeting.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by CFCNick Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:19 pm

Clarkey is Chairman of the Management Committee of the PFA

CFCNick

http://pucksandpitchforks.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 15 Apr 2013, 8:24 pm

They are probably no different to any other group.

Fair share of muppets but also a few hidden gems.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 16 Apr 2013, 4:44 pm

Paul Elliot tries to sound like he's swallowed a dictionary but he's evidently a bit dim really.

Agree with Jack's generalisation.

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 16 Apr 2013, 7:15 pm

Doesn't Frank Lampard have a GCSE/A-level in Latin? It doesn't surprise me that he is a smart bloke then!

I'd imagine rugby union and cricket generally have more well educated participants than football, but that's almost certainly down to the fact that they are bigger at private schools.

People also don't remember press conferences where the footballers give intelligent, articulated answers; they remember the ones where the player says something berkish which doesn't help it's image.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:25 am

Iain Dowie looks thick as a plank but he's got a masters in engineering and worked for British aerospace

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by hornbloweroafc Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:53 am

Matt Smith at Oldham graduated with an Upper class second in International Management with American Business Studies.
hornbloweroafc
hornbloweroafc

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:29 pm

I know Frank has a number of GCSE's and is meant to be smart, but MENSA smart?? Purlease, anything to back that nugget up?

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:30 pm

Wowzers

http://www.mensa.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=988

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Apr 2013, 1:54 pm

He should be intelligent enough to think of another goal celebration then instead of that crap pointing to the sky one.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:16 pm

bit mean

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:18 pm

super_realist wrote:He should be intelligent enough to think of another goal celebration then instead of that crap pointing to the sky one.

When you've scored as many times as he has you probably can't be arsed to think up a new celebration every time.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:21 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:bit mean

True, though, along with Shearer, worst celebration in history. Cliched, hackneyed and just rubbish.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:41 pm

I doubt frank lampard has one of the highest scores seen in Mensa testing.

It's probably for the cohort, either footballers or people who have suffered head injuries.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:48 pm

super_realist wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:bit mean

True, though, along with Shearer, worst celebration in history. Cliched, hackneyed and just rubbish.

Shearer's is boring but Frank's is poignant. That's the difference.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Apr 2013, 2:50 pm

Poignant? Give me a break. It's as cheesy and corny as a rocking baby except it's worse because he still does it.

The only good celebrations are the Stjarnan FC ones.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:07 pm

Both Steve Coppell (as already mentioned) and Steve Heighway did degrees while pro players (Coppell's iirc was in history)

Fabrice Muwamba is pretty smart - 10 GCSEs and 3 A levels. Not bad for someone who didn't speak English until he was 11.

I also seem to recall it being mentioned that Brede Hangeland either had been to Medical School or planned to after his football career.

JDizzle is right though - we ignore the guys who have a few brain cells so that we can poke fun at John Terry and his ilk.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:21 pm

Most celebrations are corny. Even the cartwheel/sumasaults have been over done. I prefer the emotional ones like Tardelli's.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:29 pm

Who are the most stupid footballers?

Terry, Cole, Gerrard must be in there.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:29 pm

super_realist wrote:Poignant? Give me a break. It's as cheesy and corny as a rocking baby except it's worse because he still does it.

Paying respects to his dead mother? Erm, no, I wouldn't call that cheesy. I'd call it, well, respectful!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:31 pm

She's dead. What's the point.
I can "almost" understand a couple of weeks worth of them, but it was years ago. Give it up man.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

I detest Fat Frank and even I have no problem with his celebration. Some people like to continue these things (I would be one)

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:33 pm

super_realist wrote:Who are the most stupid footballers?

Jason Macateer? Merson?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:34 pm

super_realist wrote:Who are the most stupid footballers?

DJ Campbell
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:35 pm

It's not actually for his mother, it's for his daughter who's called Luna I believe.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:36 pm

Socrates? Wasn't he a doctor?
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:38 pm

Stella wrote:Socrates? Wasn't he a doctor?

Think so, and a heavy smoker, so perhaps not too intelligent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:39 pm

super_realist wrote:
Stella wrote:Socrates? Wasn't he a doctor?

Think so, and a heavy smoker, so perhaps not too intelligent.

Yeah, he should have known better.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 17 Apr 2013, 3:48 pm

I think Jimmy Armfield earned a degree, sure John Richards and Brian Hall did.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 20 Apr 2013, 1:28 pm

I said. The guy who tested him is a MENSA member, and he said Lampard had a higher IQ score than him.

He was on the front page of the Mensa website a while back (to make them look cool, I guess).

www.insideworldsoccer.com/2009/03/frank-lampard-has-iq-of-150.html?m=1

My other link is Daily Mail, I dont wanna put anyone through that.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Sat 20 Apr 2013, 3:07 pm

Wenger.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by GG Fri 26 Apr 2013, 12:43 am

Jordi Gomez was doing an OU degree while at Swansea I think. Said he wanted to go into teaching when he retired.

GG

Back to top Go down

Post by Ent Fri 26 Apr 2013, 1:35 am

kingraf wrote:I said. The guy who tested him is a MENSA member, and he said Lampard had a higher IQ score than him.

He was on the front page of the Mensa website a while back (to make them look cool, I guess).

www.insideworldsoccer.com/2009/03/frank-lampard-has-iq-of-150.html?m=1

My other link is Daily Mail, I dont wanna put anyone through that.

Its nonsense, a Chelsea doctor says a company doing a test to guage the effects of repeated head injury scores Lampards iq at 150. Anyway you've to have an iq of 148 to get in so there's not much of a margin for this doc to be a member and lampard to score higher.

His iq just isn't 150, very few extremely intelligent well educated people who are tested properly will score much above 120.

Frank lampard is not one of the 0.1% most intelligent people in the world.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 26 Apr 2013, 6:50 pm

Well, do you personally know Lampard? I highly doubt a Mensa member would give someone an easy pass into the society.
Lampard was even on the front page of the Mensa website, or where they just trying to seem cool, without confirming? They could have used MIT graduate Jeremy Lin if that was the case
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 26 Apr 2013, 8:32 pm

If Lampard tested 150 with the rest of the squad hovering around the 140+ mark, I'd doubt it. But, there are 92 league teams in England, say they have 20 players each, thats 1800 players, not counting juniors and management. Lampard seems to be the only semi-confirmed case, that would be even less than 0.1% no?

Look, it may be wrong, but the guy got an A in Latin, its not like I'm claiming Rooney is a genius. Statistically speaking, theres nothing stopping Lamps from being one.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down