The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oh Dear! Even That Won't Work...

5 posters

Go down

Oh Dear! Even That Won't Work... Empty Oh Dear! Even That Won't Work...

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 6:59 pm

Beating Nadal on clay is a tricky task. Players often have to change their game style, take crazy risks and generally play the match of their lives to have a chance. But there has been one well thought out plan that has been talked about for years that was assumed would get the task done. That sneaky plot to kick over Nadal's very carefully placed water bottles. Such disruption would be sure to unsettle him and he'd no longer be able to hit those scary topspin forehands. But it was all talk as no one had the courage to put the plan into action. Until today...

He could even see the funny side of when Matosevic kicked Nadal's water bottles over at the changeover when trailing 5-2.

"No, was not a pressure moment. Was a funny one," Nadal said. "Maybe he thought that affects my concentration."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/8564572/Rafael-Nadal-eases-by-Australian-in-Monte-Carlo

Oh Dear! So that won't work. What was Couriers plan? Something about sitting too long on the bench...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Oh Dear! Even That Won't Work... Empty Re: Oh Dear! Even That Won't Work...

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm

Haha, he kicked Rafa's bottles over?
That's brilliant. Good to hear Rafa took it well too.

Personally, as a competetive person I would take Courier's advice and make Rafa wait for me at the start of the match just to let him know that he can't have things his own way.

Would it help? Against Rafa on clay probably not, no matter who did it. But I'd like to see some players throwing caution to the wind against Rafa. Try and get inside his head.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:20 pm

Apparently Rafa smiled to his team when he saw it. I don't think I've ever seen Rafa smile on court. IMO everyone forgot to keep the plot secret and he's been waiting all these years, carefully placing his water bottles in an attempt to catch someone out.

Danny_1982. Next time you play Rafa be careful when sitting down too long as you may get a time violation. Also Courier did discuss his plan to the media and the news spread through the world press. Do you think perhaps he could have kept it just a little more secret. Anyway good luck I shall be watching to see how you get on.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:29 pm

HE - if you want to give Rafa some inside information before I play him, tell him to keep playing to my forehand as its my weakness. Tell him to avoid my backhand at all costs as its blistering and will burn him. If he hears any rumours that my backhand is pathetic, tell him to ignore them.

Would you like me to get you tickets for my box? The only thing I would ask in return for this is that you support me and cheer some of Rafa's errors. That ok?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:39 pm

Very difficult - if not impossible - to truly rattle him on clay, but it can be a different story on other other surfaces of course.

From tennis.com's report of Wimbledon 2012 :

"After Nadal badly mistimed another forehand into the net to be broken, the world No. 2 began complaining furiously to the umpire about something Rosol was doing, demanding to know if Jake Garner thought it was ‘fair’ (it may have been Rosol’s return stance which earned his ire, or perhaps a noise the Czech was making as part of his breathing). "

Lukas, you really were very naughty to bother Rafa like that with your breathing (not to mention those bullet serves ....)

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:48 pm

I'm not sure I'm qualified to give Rafa advice but don't worry I'm sure he'll work out exactly what your weakness(es) are... and target them. I've seen him do it on many occasions.

I would love tickets for your box and would cheer loudly if you played a good shot. If you didn't manage to play a good shot I could perhaps applaud you when you try that sitting tactic? I'm afraid I would have to cheer your opponent if he played a good shot too as it would only be fair. I can only think you got a little mixed up when you asked me to cheer errors that just wouldn't be right. I don't think anyone would do that would they?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:56 pm

lags72. If it is that easy to rattle Rafa I'm sure lot's of players would try it. Anythings worth a shot when you can't beat him with backhands and forehands. Can you believe a player actually kicked his water bottles over in an attempt to gain advantage? My only disappointment is that he didn't do it a bit more obviously. I would be interested to see how the crowd would react to a pathetic gesture like that. I can understand why Rafa smiled it must be nice to be considered so powerful.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

Weakness(es)?? I'm insulted at the plural. Laugh

I think as long as the match is played in my home country Rafa's errors would be cheered. Every crowd cheers the home player.

I'm honoured you've accepted my invitation though. You can be my guest of honour.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:01 pm

Always easy to smile when you're winning (as per the chant heard in many a football stadium)

Not so easy to smile when the World Number 100 dumps you out of a Slam ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:18 pm

lags72. Even Nadal can't win all the time especially when he is injured. Rolling Eyes

But he wins enough times that some think the only way to beat him is to knock his water bottles over. Ha ha!

Danny_1982. Yes I understand about cheering for your favorite whatever the reason but could never cheer errors it's just wrong. Maybe some crazy people do but that doesn't make it right. If it helps I wont cheer all your errors or rather any of your errors. Am I still welcome as a guest of honor?

Just out of curiosity what error do you think Rafa would make whilst playing you? Is it something to do with that sitting down thing?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:56 pm

I love that someone has finally tried that!

Nadal was probably laughing that it has taken eight years for someone to give it a go!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 17 Apr 2013, 8:59 pm

hawkeye wrote:lags72. If it is that easy to rattle Rafa I'm sure lot's of players would try it. Anythings worth a shot when you can't beat him with backhands and forehands. Can you believe a player actually kicked his water bottles over in an attempt to gain advantage? My only disappointment is that he didn't do it a bit more obviously. I would be interested to see how the crowd would react to a pathetic gesture like that. I can understand why Rafa smiled it must be nice to be considered so powerful.
I think you're taking it too personally.

Rosols approach was the best; clearly got deep under Rafas skin.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:22 pm

HE - I think Rafa may miss the odd first serve. That would probably be the only errors he would make. Although I would make sure we played on a fast low bouncing court, just to minimise his advantage.

What else could i do to help me... I'd make sure water bottles are banned from the playing area and Lukas Rosol would be the umpire, Soderling the match referee and Berdych the handshake co-ordinator.

Rosol would insist on a fully dry court before each point meaning players have to wipe their own sweat before each point, with no time added on to allow for this. (I'm not a heavy sweater so this would favour me).

Oh, and I'd have a maximum height over the net rule. This would be set to 1 foot. So any shot more than 1 foot over would result in the point automatically being awarded to the other player.

With all these rules in place, I think I'd take Rafa down!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 17 Apr 2013, 9:23 pm

And of course you're still welcome as my guest of honour. Hug

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu 18 Apr 2013, 7:00 am

Danny_1982. I've got some great news. Rafa has agreed to play! But he suggested to make the contest a little more even he would like to give you a 0-40 start in each game. Also don't worry about the dry court because he only sweats when he has to run a lot. Rafa loves the idea about the 1 foot over the net rule because it's a bit like the training game Uncle Toni makes him play to practice his slice. He did add that some of his practice opponents find it a little tricky though and often smash racquets and stomp off in frustration. He wouldn't name names... Pftt! I hope you have been practicing?

You should look around for sponsors and negotiate a good deal for television rights. We could make a packet (I presume I get a cut?). I can't wait Wink

Almost forgot Rafa thought it might be fun if he brought his water bottles and you kicked them over every time you changed ends? He said he would leave them at home if you prefer.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu 18 Apr 2013, 8:23 am

Laugh

Sounds great. I wonder how many points I'd win...

After seeing highlights of his performance yesterday, not many (or any).

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down