The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where's the money Super rugby?

+3
yappysnap
Biltong
Intotouch
7 posters

Go down

Where's the money Super rugby? Empty Where's the money Super rugby?

Post by Intotouch Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:24 pm

Between reading every day about some SH player being hoovered up by Northern clubs and the $8.3 million loss posted by the ARU today I'm wondering what's going on down South. Yes the exchange rate is a problem but I thought that the super rugby had mostly good attendances and was being broadcast all over the world. It has a sizable population following it and recently expanded. I had expected this new format to make more money for host countries because there were more local derbies too. I know Australia has three other field sports to compete with but so does Ireland.

So has something gone wrong? What else can they do to keep their players and make some more money?

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Where's the money Super rugby? Empty Re: Where's the money Super rugby?

Post by Biltong Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:35 pm

No idea, we were discussing it the other day, South African senior players earn good money, accrding to articles I found on the net most of the Boks earn around a R1.6 Million slalary, then a match of of R40 000 plus win bonuses of R35 000 per match.

Esitmated earnings around R2.5 Million from SARU, plus whatever they earn for Super Rugby.

here was an article that suggested Habana earns in the Region of R6 million per year, plus a few other senior Boks.

You could argue the reason they go to Japan because they are getting 1 million Dollar deals per year +

I know Currie Cup players earn around R 600 000 per year, but can't find any clear figures on Super Rugby.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:48 pm

Those kinds of salaries sound super alright. Not exactly dwarfed by pay in Europe.

Could it have to do with the number of matches they're required to play? Ronan O'Gara said that knowing there was a limit to how many matches he played per season as an international based in Ireland was an influence on him staying in Ireland. He wants to play for as long as possible and money wouldn't be adequate compensation for him for early retirement due to being flogged to injury in another league.

The salaries in Japan are better but perhaps it's the shorter season and gentler experience that also attracts players.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 22 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

Yes, Japan makes a lot of sense for guys wanting to extend their career, but I think the salaries earn't by the junior Super rugby players in SA is perhaps not as high and therefor easier to poach.

That said Ruan Pienaar, Johan Muller etc were all Boks when they left.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:12 pm

I don't really get it.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 22 Apr 2013, 4:25 pm

Don't worry, neither do I
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 22 Apr 2013, 10:27 pm

Maybe they want to see the world, experience new cultures, meet new people, play for very good teams in different but competitive leagues and perhaps come back home with stories and tales to tell? And make a tidy sum at the same time?

If you do your dream job, get paid well, and can have most things that you want, then the actual life experience is a lot more important (I imagine!) then just the $$$

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Mon 22 Apr 2013, 11:51 pm

I think its a case of England and France being much bigger countries population wise than NZ and Australia. And SA while having the population is a poor country in comparision.

The Irish provinces can compete up to a point but the foreign players they sign are big name players. Even so, they're struggling to compete with the French clubs and Japanese clubs nowadays with the French and Japan clubs getting the cream of the crop.

Super rugby have expanded over the years. With more teams playing and more players leaving it might have an effect on the quality especially as bigger squads might be needed.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:26 am

As well as what others have said....Aus is spending a lot of money expanding the game so it is probably not as profitable as it could be. NZ has just had a heafty jump in sponsorship so has been able to drop a test and pay the ABs more. Of course overall the SH countries dont have the $$ to compete with Europe and Japan.

In terms of rugby...iIts not just the number of games people have to play but also the travel is a massive factor. For Super Rugby and the RC there is a heap of travel the kind that NH rugby does not have to contemplate. This adds a lot of physical challenges as well as emotional (eg being away from family). So some players will think a few extra games but all within a couple of hours flight and then back home in bed is very attractive.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Tue 23 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

yappysnap wrote:
If you do your dream job, get paid well, and can have most things that you want, then the actual life experience is a lot more important (I imagine!) then just the $$$

True about life experience, but lets be honest its firstly about the $$$ and in such a short career, who can blame them.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:08 pm

That's a good point about the travel times in super rugby. I'm sure that does get to be really tiring.

And of course there will be some who will want to experience the excitement of being in a new competition in a new culture. But really in South Africa at least the salaries are pretty high already. It doesn't sound like it would leave them in rags if they chose to stay on and play at home instead.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Allty Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:29 pm

[quote="Dorothy_Mantooth"][quote="yappysnap"]
If you do your dream job, get paid well, and can have most things that you want, then the actual life experience is a lot more important (I imagine!) then just the $$$[/quote]

True about life experience, but lets be honest its firstly about the $$$ and in such a short career, who can blame them.[/quote]

Players have such a few years to make money its wise to cash in on your skill with whoever pays the best.

Its also sensible to be fully aware that your next game could injury wise be your last.

Allty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down