The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IRUPA awards

+5
rodders
Notch
SecretFly
GunsGerms
Don Alfonso
9 posters

Go down

IRUPA awards Empty IRUPA awards

Post by Don Alfonso Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 pm

Ireland's rugby players association, IRUPA, have announced the nominations for Irish rugby's ultimate accolade, the Hibernia College IRUPA Players' Player of the Year for 2013.
In the running to land the much sought after award are Leinster and Ireland prop Cian Healy, Ulster number 8 Nick Williams and Munster and Ireland winger Simon Zebo.
These are the only awards voted for by the players themselves, with votes collected from the entire professional player group across the country.

Jonathan Sexton, Chairman of IRUPA, said: "Winning an IRUPA award, which is voted for by the players is a huge mark of respect for any rugby player.

"The Hibernia College Player of the Year award is particularly well regarded by the players, as it rewards consistency and skill at the highest level."

The award is one of seven which will be announced at the annual IRUPA Awards ceremony on Wednesday, May 8 at Dublin's Burlington Hotel.

Among the other awards is the Nevin Spence Young Player of the Year, contested this year by a feast of talented young players including Connacht's Robbie Henshaw, Leinster's Ian Madigan, also nominated in 2012, and Luke Marshall from Ulster.

The Volkswagen Try of the Year includes Craig Gilroy's try against Argentina in the November internationals, Iain Henderson's effort against Saracens in Ulster's Heineken Cup quarter-final and Simon Zebo gets a second nomination for his try against Wales in the RBS 6 Nations.

2013 is the second year of the Hibernia College Medal for Excellence which will be awarded to the individual who demonstrates exceptional commitment to the game both on and off field.

This is a player who matches their playing and training with team support, studies, work, mentoring, charity and community involvement.

Players across the provinces voted for Leinster's Isaac Boss, Ulster's Chris Henry and retiring Munster prop Marcus Horan, a former Chairman of IRUPA.

Ulster's Nigel Brady, Munster's Billy Holland and Michael Swift of Connacht have been shortlisted for the IRUPA O2 Unsung Hero award.

2013 IRUPA AWARDS NOMINATIONS:

HIBERNIA COLLEGE IRUPA PLAYERS' PLAYER OF THE YEAR -
Cian Healy (Leinster)
Nick Williams (Ulster)
Simon Zebo (Munster)

NEVIN SPENCE YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR -
Robbie Henshaw (Connacht)
Ian Madigan (Leinster)
Luke Marshall (Ulster)

VOLKSWAGEN TRY OF YEAR -
Craig Gilroy, Ireland v Argentina, Autumn Series
Iain Henderson, Saracens v Ulster, Heineken Cup
Simon Zebo, Ireland v Wales, RBS 6 Nations

HIBERNIA COLLEGE MEDAL FOR EXCELLENCE -
Isaac Boss (Leinster)
Chris Henry (Ulster)
Marcus Horan (Munster)

BNY MELLON IRUPA HALL OF FAME -
Recipient to be announced on Wednesday, May 1

O2 UNSUNG HERO -
You can view and vote for the IRUPA O2 Unsung Hero on Twitter @O2IrlRugby using the hashtag #O2UnsungHero. The winner will be announced at the awards ceremony on Wednesday, May 8.

Utterly bizarre selections there.

Only in Ireland would a 24-year old be up for “Young Player of the Year”. We have a flood of 20/21/22-year olds making their names, and Ian Madigan’s on the list. If Madigan’s there, why not POM? I’d be much happier to see Madigan up for the overall Player of the Year Award.

I’d have Andy Trimble ahead of Nick Williams for Ulster.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

IRUPA awards Empty Re: IRUPA awards

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

I think it is a really nice touch that the renamed the young player of the year award to the Nevin Spence award. He won the award himself a couple of years ago.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:22 pm

It is - it's pretty touching.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 pm

Yes, I'd have Madigan on that Player's Player of the Year list.... over a third of all Leinster points amassed this season were scored by him.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:17 pm

SecretFly wrote:Yes, I'd have Madigan on that Player's Player of the Year list.... over a third of all Leinster points amassed this season were scored by him.

Not unusual for an OH though. I think his try scoring record (6 tries) is very impressive though. No doubt he will add to that too this year.

He has also sucessfully converted his last 20 kicks. With an 87% accuracy rate cant really claim his kicking is a weakness anymore.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:30 pm

GunsGerms wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Yes, I'd have Madigan on that Player's Player of the Year list.... over a third of all Leinster points amassed this season were scored by him.

Not unusual for an OH though. I think his try scoring record (6 tries) is very impressive though. No doubt he will add to that too this year.

He has also sucessfully converted his last 20 kicks. With an 87% accuracy rate cant really claim his kicking is a weakness anymore.

Unusual that he's top of that points scoring list in Europe, playing in a misfiring side for most of the season... and second choice flyhalf. Top marksman too in the competition. Yeah, I think that's enough to put him on the Player of the Year list. A large slice of Leinster still being in contention and in 2nd place sits on his 'understudy' shoulders.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 pm

Indeed, the more I think about it, I wouldn't just have him on the list...I'd just go ahead and crown him. Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:36 pm

SecretFly wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Unusual that he's top of that points scoring list in Europe, playing in a misfiring side for most of the season... and second choice flyhalf. Top marksman too in the competition. Yeah, I think that's enough to put him on the Player of the Year list. A large slice of Leinster still being in contention and in 2nd place sits on his 'understudy' shoulders.

Its a bit of a stretch to call Leinster a missfiring side. Second with 20 points in a group with Clermont is no disgrace. Nor is second in the league and an Amlin semi to come. I think Leinster are showing a lot of character to be still in contention for two trophies this season.

Madigan is technically first choice OH in the Rabo as he has played more games than Sexton. 20 v 7.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:08 am

GunsGerms wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
GunsGerms wrote:

Its a bit of a stretch to call Leinster a missfiring side. Second with 20 points in a group with Clermont is no disgrace. Nor is second in the league and an Amlin semi to come. I think Leinster are showing a lot of character to be still in contention for two trophies this season.

Madigan is technically first choice OH in the Rabo as he has played more games than Sexton. 20 v 7.

Guns, we'll agree to differ on how much of a stretch it is. ...Leinster have been misfiring this season. I think even Schmidt would admit to that one. All you have to do is go back over his interviews and you'll see he was fussed and panicing a little.

Even more reason, though, for saying that their current 2nd in the table with most points and second most tries...plus continuing interest in the Amlin... is a testament to some pretty good recovery coaching and to no small part played by a player who added a hefty tally to the points that placed them there.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:15 am

A great argument for Madigan winning the not yet created "Players who are entering the mid-way point of their career" award. Or perhaps he can be an inaugural candidate the much anticipated special award "Players who didn't win the Young Player of the Year Award when they were young and are now well into their careers, so here's a lollipop to distract the Leinster fans whilst we nominate one of the many other YOUNG players to have broken through this year"
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:17 am

Madigan should really be up for Player of the Year- I'd vote for him as Player of the Year.

Young Player- Henshaw is the only one on that list I agree with, it's a bit of a train wreck. Paddy Jackson, David Kilcoyne, Stuart Olding, Iain Henderson and Craig Gilroy would all be ahead of Luke Marshall for me and of course Madigan is just not a young player. In a year where several 20/21/22 year olds made full international debuts for Ireland, we've managed to get a 24 year old nominated for young player of the year!

Jesus...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:23 am

It's amusing for me as I was thinking of doing a section for Ulster Player of the Year and Ulster Young Player of the Year as part of my end of season review-

My nominees?

UPOTY
Andrew Trimble, Robbie Diack, Nick Williams
UYPOTY
Paddy Jackson, Stuart Olding, Iain Henderson

So I'm a bit puzzled by Luke Marshall. Marshall needs to learn there's more to being a good 12 than running hard and fast. He's been excellent but it's been a year of excellence from young and 24 year-old players alike, with most of his competition coming from within Ulster.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:29 am

Notch wrote:

A great argument for Madigan winning the not yet created "Players who are entering the mid-way point of their career" award. Or perhaps he can be an inaugural candidate the much anticipated special award "Players who didn't win the Young Player of the Year Award when they were young and are now well into their careers, so here's a lollipop to distract the Leinster fans whilst we nominate one of the many other YOUNG players to have broken through this year"

Am I mighty glad your second post came in reading: "Madigan should really be up for Player of the Year- I'd vote for him as Player of the Year."
Because I didn't quite know how to interpret that earlier post......

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 am

Well it's pretty simple. The young player of the year award should probably be reserved for young players, i.e guys 22 or under in either their first or second year of professional rugby.

Otherwise Brian O'Driscoll would just win it every year, and that would be dull.

Last edited by Notch on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am

Notch wrote:

He's a shoo-in for the "Haircut Most Closely Modelled on Olly Murs' " award.

Might write better music as well...

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:37 am

Well.... I'm not disagreeing with you there Notch. I think we're fighting two battles. You and Alfonso have your mind on the Nevin Spence Award, and a might miffed that Madigan is there taking up a space he shouldn't be taking up.

I'm on another crusade. I'm only looking at the Player of the Year award and saying Madigan Should be taking up space on that one Wink

So I say do a swap... put Williams on the Nevin Spence list (he's only 29!!!) and put Madigan where he belongs on the other list.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:43 am

I agree Secret - Madigan instead of Healy on the gown-ups' list.

"Miffed" is a bit wrong, though - "wearily unsurprised"?

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:44 am

Trimble for player of the year.
Henderson for NS young player of the yesr.

Unfortunately the PC brigade strike again and we have to include some southerners Rolling Eyes .
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 am

Notch wrote:It's amusing for me as I was thinking of doing a section for Ulster Player of the Year and Ulster Young Player of the Year as part of my end of season review-

My nominees?

UPOTY
Andrew Trimble, Robbie Diack Jared Payne, Nick Williams
UYPOTY
Paddy Jackson, Stuart Olding, Iain Henderson

thumbsup
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 am

If this is only on club form then Andrew Trimble would win the award by the proverbial country mile. I'm not really sure what Williams has really done to merit his place on the shortlist. Madigan really should be on the main prize list, and there are other contenders surely more worthy than Marshall and Madigan on the younf players list? Notch indeed has named Kilcoyne, Jackson and Henderson and I think Zebo could very easily be on both short lists.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:23 am

Yeah Zebo as well- the Madigan nomination is bizarre.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:42 am

Got to agree with above. Provincially speaking, Trimble has been the most consistent /best Irish player this season.

Zebo and Gilroy have both adapted to international rugby well though with the former standing out ore provincially and the latter more internationally.

Young player should be Henderson by the perverbial country mile. I think Marshall would be more deserving than Jackson truth be told and Madigan has to be favourite now he is in it but I struggle to see any other Irish youngster who is as much of a cert as Hendo. He is just obscenely powerful and gifted

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:56 am

Madigan was the most eye catching in the rabo. But does this take into account internationals?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Standulstermen wrote:Got to agree with above. Provincially speaking, Trimble has been the most consistent /best Irish player this season.

Zebo and Gilroy have both adapted to international rugby well though with the former standing out ore provincially and the latter more internationally.

Young player should be Henderson by the perverbial country mile. I think Marshall would be more deserving than Jackson truth be told and Madigan has to be favourite now he is in it but I struggle to see any other Irish youngster who is as much of a cert as Hendo. He is just obscenely powerful and gifted

I'd think Zebo has been standout at international level - don't forget he played at fullback in the autumn internationals having rarely played there. Pity we didn't see more of him in the 6Ns, but he had the 'flick' against Wales that resulted in a try and he was there for that pass from BOD to score as well. He was involved in Ireland's best performance in the 6Ns.

Gilroy had a good autumn series - but was quiet enough for the 6Ns (he did ok - just not as standout as in the AIs).

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:19 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:Madigan was the most eye catching in the rabo. But does this take into account internationals?

I hope not....for everyone's sake! There won't be too many International brownie points informing decisions about Irish player ability this season.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down