The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff: The importance of clubs owning their own grounds

+6
Big
Irish Londoner
LondonTiger
Dubbelyew L Overate
Poorfour
Portnoy's Complaint
10 posters

Go down

Jeff: The importance of clubs owning their own grounds Empty Jeff: The importance of clubs owning their own grounds

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 23 Apr 2013, 3:42 pm

Looking at the current Premiership and Championship tables it seems that ground ownership is the key to long-term success.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Jeff: The importance of clubs owning their own grounds Empty Re: Jeff: The importance of clubs owning their own grounds

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 23 Apr 2013, 5:22 pm

Wuss@Sixways got a fair bit of RFU funding to enable ground development about 10-12 years back as I recall.

Where's Bedford's share of the pot?

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Jeff: The importance of clubs owning their own grounds Empty Re: Jeff: The importance of clubs owning their own grounds

Post by Poorfour Tue 23 Apr 2013, 6:04 pm

Mark Evans (former CEO of Quins) has been saying for years that the key to financial stability is owning your own, 15,000 capacity ground. It certainly seems to be borne out in the results, but it's also possible that the money from BT will change things a little.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 23 Apr 2013, 6:19 pm

And equally hopefully teams won't pee it all down the drain like footy did with their Sky money.

I won't be holding my breath though.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 23 Apr 2013, 6:58 pm

I think rugby has learned the lessons, at least in England. Hence the salary cap and other measures that level the playing field for clubs.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Tue 23 Apr 2013, 7:11 pm

Looking at French success at club level, it seems that benevolent municipal authorities are the key to success.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 24 Apr 2013, 7:57 am

Poorfour wrote:I think rugby has learned the lessons, at least in England. Hence the salary cap and other measures that level the playing field for clubs.

Not at Goldington Rd, Bedford it hasn't mate.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:16 am

greytiger wrote:
Poorfour wrote:I think rugby has learned the lessons, at least in England. Hence the salary cap and other measures that level the playing field for clubs.

Frank Warren almost killed Bedford Rugby - and it will be some time before anyone involved with the club would countenance spending the wages needed to be competitive in the Premiership (watch me get immediately proven wrong should they win the play-offs perhaps).

As to developing Goldington Rd, well there is no room to do so on the land they currently own without major construction. The only real stand directly abuts Goldington Rd, the main road heading east out of the centre of town. East and west of the ground they are right up against houses. So the only option would be to knock down the club house and changing rooms to the north of the ground, rotate the pitch and lose the training/second team pitch. This would be seriously expensive (probably more than the £24m Sarries are rumoured to have spent - and way in excess of the £1m funding given to help Wuss) and may well struggle to get planning permission.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:25 am

LondonTiger wrote:
greytiger wrote:

Frank Warren almost killed Bedford Rugby - and it will be some time before anyone involved with the club would countenance spending the wages needed to be competitive in the Premiership (watch me get immediately proven wrong should they win the play-offs perhaps).

As to developing Goldington Rd, well there is no room to do so on the land they currently own without major construction. The only real stand directly abuts Goldington Rd, the main road heading east out of the centre of town. East and west of the ground they are right up against houses. So the only option would be to knock down the club house and changing rooms to the north of the ground, rotate the pitch and lose the training/second team pitch. This would be seriously expensive (probably more than the £24m Sarries are rumoured to have spent - and way in excess of the £1m funding given to help Wuss) and may well struggle to get planning permission.

I have no idea about the internal finances nor property covenants at Bedford, LT, but the site must be valuable considering its central town location.

Just thinking aloud and on the hoof...

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 24 Apr 2013, 8:33 am

When the local consortium took over, they stated the whole thing was a community objective, with the aim to be to keep the club at the centre of the community. I have a sneaking feeling that there is a covenant on the land to keep it as a sporting venture - but not sure.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:09 am

Bedford in last General Election

Fuller will be picking up his P45 in 2015

Maybe Bedford should be 'working' the prospective candidates to get a critical mass of interest to put pressure on the council, the RFU and apply for Lotto funding.
ConservativeRichard Fuller17,54638.9+5.4
LabourPatrick Hall16,19335.9-5.7
Liberal DemocratHenry Vann8,95719.9-1.6
UKIPMark Adkin1,1362.5+0.1
BNPWilliam Dewick7571.7+1.7
GreenBen Foley3930.9+0.9
IndependentSamrat Deep Bhandari1200.3+0.3
Majority1,3533.0
Turnout45.10265.9+3.8
Conservative gain from LabourSwing+5.5

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:40 am

Of course ground ownership would be beneficial to teams rather than having to groundshare with football teams, but the start-up costs combined with the NIMBY approach of a lot of residents to any form of development within five miles of their home and local council planning departments especially in the south make it very difficult.
Saracens in the ealry days of professionalism were set to move to a non-League ground in Enfield and had big plans to develop the stadium. The local council refused it on the basis of objections from dog walkers as a small part of a local park would have to be used to increase the footprint of the stadium. Although it is rumoured that the then Labour council were also happy to stick it to the "rugby posh boys" and their pushy South African chairman.
End result - Saracens ended up spending years at Watford and Enfield lost the income of several thousand hungry and thirsty rugby fans 15 times a year.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 24 Apr 2013, 9:46 am

Irish Londoner wrote:Of course ground ownership would be beneficial to teams rather than having to groundshare with football teams, but the start-up costs combined with the NIMBY approach of a lot of residents to any form of development within five miles of their home and local council planning departments especially in the south make it very difficult.
Saracens in the ealry days of professionalism were set to move to a non-League ground in Enfield and had big plans to develop the stadium. The local council refused it on the basis of objections from dog walkers as a small part of a local park would have to be used to increase the footprint of the stadium. Although it is rumoured that the then Labour council were also happy to stick it to the "rugby posh boys" and their pushy South African chairman.
End result - Saracens ended up spending years at Watford and Enfield lost the income of several thousand hungry and thirsty rugby fans 15 times a year.

They did play a couple of years at Enfield after moving from Southgate. Even when they moved to Watford to meet the capacity needs, there was talk of looking to build a ground "somewhere" but as you say every site they looked at (with councils across the political spectrum) they faced serious opposition.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:06 am

greytiger wrote:

I have no idea about the internal finances nor property covenants at Bedford, LT, but the site must be valuable considering its central town location.

Completely agree actually, though again i don't know whether they own/lease the ground and what if any covenants there are. It wouldn't be that extraordinary if they sold off the site for housing and bought a cheaper and easier to develop site on the edge of town. The only danger doing that is that you don't want to lose decent public transport links, and being an easy walk for the home fans.

With my civil engineering hat on, I'd suggest that they could reasonably redevelop the ground and just look to replace the training ground with an out of town site. You could probably fit in a big stand down one side and temporary stands at the ends if you wanted the extra capacity. Certainly more than the £1m Wuss got, but not necessarily more than Sarries are spending and arguably unless there are constraints we are unaware of I'd expect it to be less. It would need to be bigger to get 15k in, but realistically I don't think they'd need to do that straight up, just leave space and scope for it in the future - and it's likely there would be fewer constraints as the ground wouldn't have the same demands on use. Sarries will be/are paying a lot for the artificial surfacing and stands that can be easily removed from the running track because their ground has protected dual use with the athletics club. From experience is also a premium on any work being done in London due to access, living/lodging costs for workers, etc.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:23 am

greytiger wrote:Looking at the current Premiership and Championship tables it seems that ground ownership is the key to long-term success.

Of the 4 teams who qualified for the Championship playoffs, Bedford are the only club who own their own ground and they can't get promoted as they don't meet the MSC (sorry cowpat PRL cartel rules which dont stand up in court) and the chairman/owner doesn't want to bankrupt the club trying!

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Wed 24 Apr 2013, 10:53 am

andyi wrote:
greytiger wrote:Looking at the current Premiership and Championship tables it seems that ground ownership is the key to long-term success.

Of the 4 teams who qualified for the Championship playoffs, Bedford are the only club who own their own ground and they can't get promoted as they don't meet the MSC (sorry cowpat PRL cartel rules which dont stand up in court) and the chairman/owner doesn't want to bankrupt the club trying!

Don't know what the situation with Falcons is but Carnegie are in partnership with the Rhinos as Leeds Rugby Ltd and Headingley Carnegie Stadium is theirs and doesn't ground share with anyone else. Don't know of any criteria that we don't meet better than most AP sides, just need a team that can compete.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:03 am

aitchw wrote:
Don't know what the situation with Falcons is but Carnegie are in partnership with the Rhinos as Leeds Rugby Ltd and Headingley Carnegie Stadium is theirs and doesn't ground share with anyone else. Don't know of any criteria that we don't meet better than most AP sides, just need a team that can compete.

I still get a little confused between what Paul Caddick owns and what the clubs own. From memory YCCC bought their side of the complex a few years ago from the Caddick owned Leeds Cricket and Rugby Club (or some similar nomeclature). I assume at this point Leeds Rugby was formed covering the RL and RU side. Does Caddick have any stake in this?

Also no idea about the ownership of the common stand between the two playing enclosures.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:14 am

It looks like teams in more urban areas have a harder time getting their own stadium. I'd imagine London in particular must be a nightmare to try and find a stadium these days. Even Leinster are renting out a stadium these days because they don't want to leave south Dublin.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

Big wrote:
greytiger wrote:

Completely agree actually, though again i don't know whether they own/lease the ground and what if any covenants there are. It wouldn't be that extraordinary if they sold off the site for housing and bought a cheaper and easier to develop site on the edge of town. The only danger doing that is that you don't want to lose decent public transport links, and being an easy walk for the home fans.

With my civil engineering hat on, I'd suggest that they could reasonably redevelop the ground and just look to replace the training ground with an out of town site. You could probably fit in a big stand down one side and temporary stands at the ends if you wanted the extra capacity. Certainly more than the £1m Wuss got, but not necessarily more than Sarries are spending and arguably unless there are constraints we are unaware of I'd expect it to be less. It would need to be bigger to get 15k in, but realistically I don't think they'd need to do that straight up, just leave space and scope for it in the future - and it's likely there would be fewer constraints as the ground wouldn't have the same demands on use. Sarries will be/are paying a lot for the artificial surfacing and stands that can be easily removed from the running track because their ground has protected dual use with the athletics club. From experience is also a premium on any work being done in London due to access, living/lodging costs for workers, etc.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by aitchw Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:26 am

AFAIK Caddick is still one of 3 shareholders in the company along with Hetherington plus 1 other. It became the first dual code club anywhere. Not sure how it works from a real estate point of view but the 'common' stand has shared facilities under it which include The Watering Hole bar. Capacity is around 21,000. Headingley is a pretty good facility and the strong links with Leeds Met University add a lot to the the club.

aitchw

http://www.winmax-leisure.com

Back to top Go down

Post by andyi Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:29 am

aitchw wrote:
andyi wrote:

Leeds rugby does cover both teams but Headingley is VERY MUCH the Rhino's ground. Caddick has pulled his funding of the RU side and they have been paying him back. They now operate on a vastly reduced budget which will get even smaller when the Carnegie money drys up and anyone buying the RU side wont get Headingley included. They will have to pay rent or move as its too big for them anyway.

As for the Falcons, the Ground is owned by Northumbria University but the Falcons are Primary tenants.

andyi

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:32 am

Not at Goldington Rd, Bedford it hasn't mate..

Certainly not level anyway, that's one hell of a slope.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 24 Apr 2013, 11:44 am

aitchw wrote:AFAIK Caddick is still one of 3 shareholders in the company along with Hetherington plus 1 other. It became the first dual code club anywhere. Not sure how it works from a real estate point of view but the 'common' stand has shared facilities under it which include The Watering Hole bar. Capacity is around 21,000. Headingley is a pretty good facility and the strong links with Leeds Met University add a lot to the the club.

I spend as much time as I can reasonably afford on the other side of the shared stand (YCCC member). Not sure when I will make it up next, but assuming it is a county championship match, even at my advanced years my presence will seriously reduce the average age in the Football Stand Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down