The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best

+9
beshocked
BigTrevsbigmac
Heaf
stnick88
funnyExiledScot
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
HongKongCherry
LondonTiger
nathan
13 posters

Go down

who do you think deserves the award?

Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_lcap13%Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_lcap25%Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_lcap0%Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_lcap25%Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 2 ]
Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_lcap13%Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 1 ]
Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_lcap24%Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Vote_rcap 24% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 8

Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Empty Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best

Post by nathan Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:21 pm

The list is;

- Steve Borthwick (Saracens)
- Danny Care (Harlequins)
- Akapusi Qera (Gloucester)
- Julian Salvi (Leicester Tigers)
- Christian Wade (London Wasps)
- Tom Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

What are peoples thoughts?

Personally pretty suprised to see borthwich there.

Ed: thought I'd make a poll of it!

Last edited by nathan on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

nathan

Back to top Go down

Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Empty Re: Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best

Post by LondonTiger Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:51 pm

This award will usually go to someone who has played a lot of games, so usually not an international.

In a lot of ways I prefer the RPA awards - as the players are voting fo rthose rather than journos.

Borthwick certainly deserves to be there. He has played in most of Sarries AP matches and has been consistently good whilst leading the team to a home semi-final and probably top spot in the table.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best Empty Re: Shortlist announced for this seasons jeffs best

Post by HongKongCherry Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:45 pm

Whilst I am pleased Q is on the list, I have to agree that Borthwick deserves to be on that list and for my money should be the winner. I am somewhat amazed I have stated that considering my rants about him on the old 606; but he has always been a good club player and he has had an excellent and consistent season.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:48 pm

Very surprised that Luke Arscott has not made that list tbh

Chief

And I'm not at all biased Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:57 pm

I think that Tom Youngs is lucky to be on that list. Whilst he made a superb start to the season in the AP he has played few matches since then due to England duties. From memory he has played just 12 of 21 matches, whilst the others have played in 19 or 20 games, so overall contributed more.

Asbo, Arscott may still be in the running for the "Dream Team" though in just 14 matches (to Arscotts 21) Mike Brown has impressive stats. Less metres (1150 to 1380) but more tries (5 to 4), more defenders beaten (51 to 38) and a higher Tackle percentage (99% to 78%).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Salvi or Wade for me. Salvi for consistent excellence, and Wade for some magic tries.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:49 pm

outrageous that Aulika hasnt made the list!! 11 tries!! Smile

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:04 pm

stnick88 wrote:outrageous that Aulika hasnt made the list!! 11 tries!! Smile

yes and but for a held-up over the line would have had a hat-trick on Saturday - doubt many props do that ... Very Happy

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:10 pm

stnick88 wrote:outrageous that Aulika hasnt made the list!! 11 tries!! Smile

Not in the premiership though Very Happy
Isn't he second (to James Johnstone) on the most penalties conceded list?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Wade in particular & to a lesser extent Varndel have been sensational for Wasps this season.
Particularly in a young & generally inexperienced small squad.

I wouldn't argue with the other nominations all have done more than their fair share this season.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Borthwick has always been a quality lineout forward but in his England days carried the can for an unsuccessful side, quite a lot of which was outside his control. He should still be at Bath but his decision to leave was clearly a good one from a silverware perspective.

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Londontiger I agree with pretty much everything you have said.

Not at all surprised to see Borthwick there. He's been one of Saracen's best players this season.

I don't think he will win - I think either Salvi or Wade will pick up the award. Probably deservedly so.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:45 am

From the games I've seen I think Fraser has been better than Salvi. I'm biased but I think Manoa is unlucky not to make the list (although I think it should be between Borthwick, Care & Qera for number 1).

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:19 am

Pretty sure Danny Care would be topping the try scoring chart if he hadn't been away on England duty, pretty impressive he's up there with all the wingers who haven't been out for internationals.

Great season from him, and really sorted himself out after the silliness last season

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:42 am

B91212 wrote:From the games I've seen I think Fraser has been better than Salvi.

I guess that is what perception does. All I can say is that as a 7 Salvi has done damned well. He is 4th in the AP tackle count (1 to 3 have played more matches), with a 92% success rate. He has secured the most turnovers of any Premiership player this season. While he does not make the glamourous eye catching runs of some other 7s he does the hard yards, passes well and offloads. He is an unsung kind of 7, the sort who just gets the job done.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:52 am

I'm torn between Wade, Borthwick and Care.

Wade has just been sensational for Wasps and as a winger in the premiership we haven't seen his like across a whole season since the Robinson days.

Borthwick has been key for Sarries this season, brilliant in the lineout, great leader and putting in some good tackles around the park. He seems to have upped his work rate and cut out all the trash talk at the referees too now.

Care has been the heart beat of the Quins team, in a season where just about every other senior player has gone missing Danny has over come a few self inflicted obstacles to be the best 9 in the league and potentially the best club 9 in the NH. He is a try scoring machine as well with 8 tries for Quins, third in the try scoring table and miles ahead of the next non winger.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 am

yappysnap wrote:I'm torn between Wade, Borthwick and Care.

I would like Borthwick or Salvi to get it. The glory boys get their recognition week in, week out as the likes of Stuart Barnes laud them to the skies. The folk who just do their job, and without whom their teams struggle never get the limelight.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:17 am

That is very true, but Borthwick and Salvi both get plenty of praise from Sky and ESPN (especially in Salvi's case).

If we wanted one of the unsung hero's to get the award then it really needs to go to a prop...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Qera was voted Glaws playerof the year, just 10 votes ahead of Sione Kalamafoni. Both had a brilliant season with Glaws.
But this thread reads like England qualified shortlisted players only, get a mention.
Have to say I thought Borthwick was pretty immense for Sarries at Kingsholm last Saturday. If that was typical of his season then no problem with him being listed here too.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:14 pm

gregortree wrote:Qera was voted Glaws playerof the year, just 10 votes ahead of Sione Kalamafoni. Both had a brilliant season with Glaws.
But this thread reads like England qualified shortlisted players only, get a mention.
Have to say I thought Borthwick was pretty immense for Sarries at Kingsholm last Saturday. If that was typical of his season then no problem with him being listed here too.

Salvi and Aulika get mentions - neither being EQP.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
B91212 wrote:From the games I've seen I think Fraser has been better than Salvi.

I guess that is what perception does. All I can say is that as a 7 Salvi has done damned well. He is 4th in the AP tackle count (1 to 3 have played more matches), with a 92% success rate. He has secured the most turnovers of any Premiership player this season. While he does not make the glamourous eye catching runs of some other 7s he does the hard yards, passes well and offloads. He is an unsung kind of 7, the sort who just gets the job done.
Fair enough LT, they are very impressive stats and I didn't know that he is leading the turnover charts. As a Tigers ST holder you will know too well the difference between watching the games live and on tv (I don't get to as many games as I used to Wink). I did get the impression when I have seen Salvi play this season (again no stats to back it up) that he didn't seem to be giving as many penalties away as he has done in previous years. But again this could just be my perception.

In regards to my initial thoughts of Fraser having the better season, it was based on how I feel Saracens have successfully laid the foundations for their HK and AP runs mainly defence and their work at the berakdown, of which WF has been at the forefront in his breakthrough season. Perhaps I should start paying more attention to the stats.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down