The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NFL Draft 2013 discussion

+19
Take it to the house
Lowlandbrit
Colan (niner)
ALPanorak
Barney92
cherriesfna
BamBam
twelve283
crazy_dave23
Number-25
CFCNick
NYJ
Derbyblue
Bull
Pr4wn
Good Golly I'm Olly
GSC
TM Moot
mikeygnfl
23 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Who had the best draft?

NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_lcap14%NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_lcap14%NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 1 ]
NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_lcap0%NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_lcap29%NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 1 ]
NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_lcap29%NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Empty NFL Draft 2013 discussion

Post by mikeygnfl Thu 25 Apr 2013, 4:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

So that's the 2013 draft over. 254 picks from Eric Fisher to Justice Cunningham. So who were the value picks? Which teams were the winners? Who were the losers?

1st Round
Spoiler:
2nd Round
Spoiler:

3rd Round
Spoiler:
4th Round
Spoiler:
5th Round
Spoiler:
6th Round
Spoiler:
7th Round
Spoiler:

Last edited by mikeygnfl on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 2:14 am; edited 34 times in total
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

NFL Draft 2013 discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: NFL Draft 2013 discussion

Post by mikeygnfl Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:53 am

The Jaguars have signed QB Matt Scott.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:00 am

@ShanePHallam16s
Lawrence Okoye to the #49ers

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sun 28 Apr 2013, 1:05 am

That makes two Brits in the Bay Area.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:26 am

No Jets in that poll? Rolling Eyes

After some reflection on the Jets draft as a whole, I see what Idzik has tried to do but I certainly don't agree with it. If you asked me before the draft, I would have said that our major needs were OLB, TE, S, WR and OG. We've only addressed one of those positions and now have 6 players to compete for 2 Guard spots. Were drafting like the 49ers or Seahawks - just stocking up on talent. Except, our roster is nowhere near as good as the 49ers or Seahawks so we don't have the luxury to blatantly ignore major positions of need when deciding who to pick.

That's me finished with this draft now and I'll forget about it, get behind the team and hope it turns out alright.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:37 am

The Eagles signed Brad Wing

#disgonbegood
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:56 am

Derbyblue wrote:@JoshNorris1m
RT @lawlornfl: Chip Kelly said the Eagles had 4th round grades on Joe Kruger and Jordan Poyer. Doesn't know why they fell so far.

They also had Barkley as a top 50 player.

Whether thats actually true or just bigging themselves up is up for contention
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 11:18 am

"I'm going to remember this weekend for a long time and so are the teams that didn't draft me,"

Still think hes a scrub but this is a badass quote
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:03 pm

delighted the 49ers managed to get Okoye and Marquardt, two athletic beasts who just need coaching. Wasn't sure Okoye would be here considering he had a bit of interest elsewhere but you can't go wrong with Tomsula. And Marquardt was mostly coveted by the Pats and 49ers and happy to get him as scouts I know have said he is one of most naturally talented in draft and would be day 2 pick if he wasn't coming off missing his senior year.......time will tell but could be another Boone

As for late round picks, love picking up Marcus Cooper, might just be camp fodder but any 6'2", 190 corner than runs a 4.3 has tools to work with. B.J Daniels is probably just to ready for Wilson in the Seattle games

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:33 pm

Am pleased with the Redskins' draft. We needed Safeties and CBs and we got 3 potentially very good ones. Thomas and Rambo were both projected to go 2nd/3rd round and we got them in the 4th and 6th. Looks like excellent value just now but guess will only know once they suit up and are on the field. Regardless, potentially we've nabbed 3 differencemakers for three secondary. Lookin forward to seeing if Shanahan has found another couple of RB gems in the late rounds. Certainly both of them could potentially give us the change of pace back we don't have.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 12:39 pm

Also, I know it's been said a thousand times but how cool a name is Bacarri Rambo?? So happy we drafted him!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by cherriesfna Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

It's already obvious Seattle have , we always do lol
cherriesfna
cherriesfna

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

Raiders had an OK draft. Maybe a bit surprised we took two TEs in the 6th but the rest I was happy with. Sio Moore, David Bass and Menelik are all good pickups for us.

Slightly nervous about Hayden. I know he is medically cleared but I wonder whether it will affect his mentality and how hard he will play.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:13 pm

you do?
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:19 pm

GSC wrote:"I'm going to remember this weekend for a long time and so are the teams that didn't draft me,"

Still think hes a scrub but this is a badass quote
Who said that?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:21 pm

That was Barkley's quote. Looks like one of those that comes back to haunt dudes!

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeygnfl Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:43 pm

NYJ wrote:No Jets in that poll? Rolling Eyes
I had to cut the list down. They could have easily been on it though.

A good pick up for the Eagles with Brad Wing.
mikeygnfl
mikeygnfl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:44 pm

I think the Saints smashed the draft this season.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 3:52 pm

Brad Wing will get cut before the season.

Dudes a dumbass
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:31 pm

2013 NFL Draft Review

Two drafts that get high grades from me are that of the Cardinals and Bengals, I was a fan of the Bengals 2012 draft and I think they did a good job for the second year in a row.

Arizona Cardinals notable picks
Jonathan Cooper, OG, UNC
Scout's agree that Cooper is one of the most athletic guards they have scouted in recent years, I still think Chance Warmack would have been a better fit in Arizona's man blocking scheme but it's difficult to argue with the Cardinals choosing the prospect with more athletic upside.

Kevin Minter, LB, LSU
Shows better game speed than timed speed, somewhat limited athletically, will do his best work against the run, dependable, tough LB who will fill a role inside in the Cardinals 34 defense.

Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU
Wild card pick, forced turnovers while at LSU, size might limit him to working inside but it's not a definite, (Janoris Jenkins made it work outside), also has the ability to contribute on special teams as a returner.

Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
I'm assuming the reason for Ellington being off the board so late was medical, he should be a nice compliment as a COP back, space player who can be effective in the passing game, could offer something as a returner as well.

Cincinnati Bengals notable picks
Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame
My top ranked TE, Eifert has size and athleticism and should make an impact in the passing game from both the slot and when lined up outside, shows good straight line speed and hands, OK blocker and should improve in this area only expanding his role.

Giovani Bernard, RB, UNC
Like Andre Ellington in that he should fill more of a COP role in the NFL, has more production in the passing game, I think you could have got similar talent later in the draft but Bernard fills a need for the Bengals, role on special teams is a possiblity.

Margus Hunt, DL, SMU
I definitely think Hunt did his best work when getting upfield, watching I never really bought into the idea he was a big body on the end of a 34 line (despite the frame), allowing him to line up as a 43 end or inside in a sub defense should allow him to see the field earlier, has had production as a kick blocker.

Shawn Williams, S, Georgia
I liked Bacarri Rambo better but Williams was first off the board, ran well in the 40 but I didn't see the same athletic ability on the field, I think he's more of a box player, don't like him out in space.

Boom or Bust?
Minnesota Vikings
Shariff Floyd, DL, Florida
NFL teams were obviously not as high on Floyd as most of the armchair scouts out there, watching him I saw a penetrator who would be best in a 43 defense although he did play multiple roles for Florida, short arms which I think will limit him in terms of scheme in the NFL.

Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU
I never got away from what I saw on the field with Rhodes, he consistently wins as a physical press corner, he's got length and straight line speed, he wins at the LOS, good tackler, plays the run well-rare thing, smarts show on the field, main negative-he is tight in the hips.

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee
Patterson has a rare size/athleticism combo, should be able to contribute as a returner, design some plays for him, reverses etc, and let him get production that way while he develops as a receiver.

Houston Texans
DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson
Hopkins has size and good hands, game compares favourably to Broncos receiver Eric Decker, strong, competes for the ball, not fast but runs smooth routes, posession type receiver, ideal fit in the Texans offense opposite Andre Johnson.

DJ Swearinger, S, South Carolina
Didn't run a fast 40 time but he plays faster on the field, versatile player who can play man and zone, up around the LOS and deep, modern NFL safety, downhill player and a big hitter who can be a bit wreckless at times, needs to watch the penalties, some experience at coner.

Other draft notes

The Steelers-Jarvis Jones nuff said, Markus Wheaton is the perfect Mike Wallace replacement, very similar type of player, The FSU LB Vince Williams has been underrated IMO and is a good deal in the 6th, LeVeon Bell I don't see as special but he gains yards, is effective in the passing game and can pass protect-all skills coaches love in a running back.

The 49ers draft has potential-a lot hinges on the health of Tank Carradine and Marcus Lattimore, I assume Patton's problem was character red flags, I thought he had a very similar skillset to Stedman Bailey who went in the 3rd round to St Louis, both good prospects IMO.

Provided his knee problems aren't chronic Seattle got an absolute steal in Alabama DL Jesse Williams, though I have to figure there are serious concerns about his health.

The St Louis Rams draft is filled with athletic playmakers and upside-Tavon Austin, just get him the ball in space, Alec Ogletree, just give him a clear line to the ball carrier, ex-safety is effective in coverage, Stedman Bailey, underrated prospect had good production alongside Austin at West Virginia, TJ McDonald, might have a limited role as a box safety but he's very good in that role, Barrett Jones, needs to check out medically but played 3 positions for Alabama and Saban loved the guy, Zac Stacy, actually thought he might go higher, could be a steal, powerful runner who breaks tackles with SEC production, Brandon McGee, ++ Combine, 4.37 40.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Sun 28 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm

Saw this on twitter about why Tyler Bray went undrafted (Chiefs have signed him):
One scout just texted that his GM refuses to even consider Tyler Bray (QB Tennessee)…called his whiteboard interview the worst he'd seen
Apparently, some of Tennessee's other players in this class aren't exactly fond of Bray & didn't do him any favors when asked about him
Apparently he bombed on Gruden's show too.

Last edited by Lowlandbrit on Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 28 Apr 2013, 5:08 pm

twelve283 wrote:Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU
Wild card pick, forced turnovers while at LSU, size might limit him to working inside but it's not a definite, (Janoris Jenkins made it work outside), also has the ability to contribute on special teams as a returner.
I read that Mathieu is going to be playing safety what do you think of that fit?

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 5:47 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
I read that Mathieu is going to be playing safety what do you think of that fit?

I'd be worried about any 5'8" safety. He is enigmatic player but needs the ball in front of him imo so safety is only possible avenue. He is an exciting player but the character concerns and the fact he can barely string a sentence together worries me

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Sun 28 Apr 2013, 5:56 pm

mikeygnfl wrote:
NYJ wrote:No Jets in that poll? Rolling Eyes
I had to cut the list down. They could have easily been on it though.

A good pick up for the Eagles with Brad Wing.

My tongue couldn't get any further in cheek. Perhaps it was the wrong smiley.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by twelve283 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 6:12 pm

Derbyblue wrote:
Yeah, like I mentioned, inside might be where he has to work where he can play safety/slot - in fact I believe Arians indicated that he will flip from weak safety to slot which give the Cardinals defense some flexibiltiy. It sounds like Arians wants him on the field but has doubts about him working outside. I think teams would challenge him by lining up size players in the slot, a move TE for example or a bigger WR which Mathieu might have trouble with.

Colan (niner) wrote:
I'd be worried about any 5'8" safety. He is enigmatic player but needs the ball in front of him imo so safety is only possible avenue. He is an exciting player but the character concerns and the fact he can barely string a sentence together worries me
The point has been made that if there is one place Mathieu might knuckle down it's Arizona with him looking up to Patrick Peterson.

twelve283

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 7:57 pm

twelve283 wrote:
Derbyblue wrote:
Yeah, like I mentioned, inside might be where he has to work where he can play safety/slot - in fact I believe Arians indicated that he will flip from weak safety to slot which give the Cardinals defense some flexibiltiy. It sounds like Arians wants him on the field but has doubts about him working outside. I think teams would challenge him by lining up size players in the slot, a move TE for example or a bigger WR which Mathieu might have trouble with.

Colan (niner) wrote:
The point has been made that if there is one place Mathieu might knuckle down it's Arizona with him looking up to Patrick Peterson.

I thought after Reid was drafted that maybe the 49ers would be in on him too. Really like his skills but I'll be delighted if he is ever isolated in our division against bigger receivers. I'm more worried about his return skills, he can be electric but good luck taking them opportunities from PP7

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:30 pm

Re The Honey Badger - one comment I read about him over the weekend that made me laugh was that there is no place in the NFL for small, slow Corners that smoke dope. I'm no personnel man but even I get that point.

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:44 pm

There will always be a place in the NFL for guys who have a knack of being around the ball.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:53 pm

Number-25 wrote:Re The Honey Badger - one comment I read about him over the weekend that made me laugh was that there is no place in the NFL for small, slow Corners that smoke dope. I'm no personnel man but even I get that point.
Yeah it's his height that will stop him from being a corner on the outside, 4.46 40 yard dash so not that slow, guys a ball hawk and can contribute on special teams though they may not replace Peterson, expect there will be a number of clauses in the contract regarding the drugs issue plus Peterson and his father have been mentoring him so being in Arizona with them should stop the off the field issues and Cardinals obviously trust him to stay out of trouble as they took him in the 3rd so they'll be investing in making sure he does.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:54 pm

GSC wrote:There will always be a place in the NFL for guys who have a knack of being around the ball.

Like Burnt Toast?? Wink

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 8:56 pm

DeAngelo Hall has made a career of making highlight reel picks and being garbage inbetween, sure.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Number-25 Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:02 pm

Laugh You leave our MeAngelo alone!

Number-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:06 pm

I look forward to seeing Mathieu having to take down Gore/Lynch/Davis in the open field to save the TD.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:12 pm

There are plenty of safeties that have carved out a good career while not playing the run though.

Centerfield, let him sit back and read the QB eyes and go get it. If he buys into football, its really good value.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbyblue Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:19 pm

GSC wrote:There are plenty of safeties that have carved out a good career while not playing the run though.

Centerfield, let him sit back and read the QB eyes and go get it. If he buys into football, its really good value.
I know just saying I would like to see it, plus look forward to seeing him have to go up against the 6'6" TE's.

Derbyblue

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:31 pm

Watching some Matt Barkley tape now to try and make me feel better. Started with the trackmeet vs Oregon. Arm didn't actually look that bad, showed some nice poise. Few bad decisions though.

Lee is a monster btw.

Also lol Monte Kiffins D. That cheered me up too.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by NYJ Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:48 pm

Barkley relied a lot on his receivers. Something like 52% of his targets were under 5 yards. Matt Cassel 2.0.
NYJ
NYJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:50 pm

Yeah you definitely need to surround him with weapons.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:53 pm

Do like the touch on throws. Some glaring decisions where you just say 'what was that'.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:55 pm

He is a guy who suits Shurmur though, which in turn suits Reids personnel. Do need to find a #1 if hes going to play though.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:58 pm

Watched the Arizona game. That was a bit more ugly. Few ugly plays you don't expect from a 4 year starter
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 9:59 pm

If Vick goes I see Eagles targeting QB early next year when there is a ton of talent. Not sold on Foles and think Barkley is more of a backup hence 4th round value. But I do like him in right situation if everything is in place

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:01 pm

I assume Chips looking for his QB next year. A 4th rounder aint gonna deter him from that.

Vicks deal voids to a 1 year deal at some point.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:05 pm

Stanford game up next.

good god I haven't seen a OL this leaky since the Eagles last played.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:16 pm

GSC wrote:I assume Chips looking for his QB next year. A 4th rounder aint gonna deter him from that.

Well Mariota will be RS Sophomore so if he declares could be match made in heaven.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:17 pm

GSC wrote:I assume Chips looking for his QB next year. A 4th rounder aint gonna deter him from that.

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:23 pm

Maybe. College coaches seem to trend away from former players tho I think.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 28 Apr 2013, 10:54 pm

Utah was a much better game, especially from the hole USC were in early. Hangs in there on the odd occasion the OL gave him time.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6