The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are you tipping to do well this summer?

3 posters

Go down

Who are you tipping to do well this summer? Empty Who are you tipping to do well this summer?

Post by Guest Wed 01 May 2013, 5:05 pm

If you were to make a side from players who you think are going to excel in the 4-day stuff this year who would be in your side?

this would be mine:

1.Mark Stoneman
2.Chris Nash (always excels in limited overs cricket, but can he do it for sussex in longer form this year...?)
3.Chris Rogers (c) (can he find form before the ashes and put himself in the ashes XI)
4.Murray Goodwin (lean couple of years for sussex, new county need runs from him)
5.Alex Wakely
6.Alex Kervezee (apparently turned back on the dutch to try and play for england)
7.James Foster (wk) With Ben Foakes lurking in the background, Foster needs a big season!
8.David Wainwright (very under-rated and useful cricketer)
9.Liam Plunkett (new county can he re-discover form that got him into the england side?)
10.Toby roland-Jones (tremendous talent, but can he get himself into lions contention)
11.Jamie Overton (has all the attributes, can he put them all together?

Back to top Go down

Who are you tipping to do well this summer? Empty Re: Who are you tipping to do well this summer?

Post by guildfordbat Wed 01 May 2013, 6:21 pm

Hi CF - that's an interesting and decent XI for the 4 day stuff.

I'm not convinced by Plunkett's inclusion though. I feel he was very lucky to get picked by England and that his time has gone. Always happy to be proved wrong!

I do actually believe you should have picked another player from Essex. David Masters is a proven CC king and I'm not saying that just because he picked up another fivefer today. A clever cricketer who makes full use of his ability and experience.

Another bowler who is often below the radar but still seems to more often than not take wickets is Sussex's Jimmy Anyon. Never going to be an international but most county captains would be happy to have him on board.

From my own neck of the woods, this could be a massive season for Rory Burns. Plenty of shots and seems to know which balls to leave. Just hope he avoids second season syndrome. Also, Steve Davies - with personal issues hopefully behind him and England apparently not interested, he's got a good opportunity to take centre stage in the 4 day game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Who are you tipping to do well this summer? Empty Re: Who are you tipping to do well this summer?

Post by Guest Wed 01 May 2013, 8:43 pm

mate i didnt pick Masters because he performs every season, so it wouldnt be a shock

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Wed 01 May 2013, 9:28 pm

For Sussex i am tipping Luke Wells to have a big year this year. I have seen him play from early club days and always been impressed. He has started of well for Sussex and that 208 against Surrey could be the big kicking point he needed to take his career further.

Really hope James Taylor can get some form again.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 01 May 2013, 9:58 pm

An alternative XI who could do well this year:

1. Rory Burns
2. Varun Chopra
3. Sam Northeast
4. Joe Denly
5. George Bailey (overseas)
6. Gary Ballance
7. Adam Wheater (wk)*
8. Azeem Rafiq
9. Mike Reed
10. Ollie Stone
11. George Edwards

* He left Essex, so he'll surely do well Very Happy

A few subject to getting in the XI and injuries, it must be said. In particular, big praise has been lavished on Stone for his U19 efforts and on Reed for his early season form. Edwards I'm going on the Surrey contributors here a bit, but reports from the couple of games he played last year were very good.

Middlesex have a few excellent young players - Rossington and Patel in particular. But its difficult to see how the former will get into the team and I've gone with Rafiq as the spinner as I think he could make a run for an international place.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 26 May 2013, 3:32 pm

i feel Yorkshire have seen the last of Joe Root for a while lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down