The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Apologies Here

+12
nathan
gregortree
Effervescing Elephant
GunsGerms
sensisball
fa0019
Geordie
LondonTiger
lostinwales
Looseheaded
Biltong
GloriousEmpire
16 posters

Go down

Apologies Here Empty Apologies Here

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 02 May 2013, 8:13 pm

A few weeks ago I mentioned that Sean Maitland could become a Lion and received such a scathing response that some even accused me of being some kind of troll!

Now I'm as shocked as anyone at the lions squad, especially the exclusion of Robshaw and various other high profile English players, but I think some of those who were so scathing ought to so the right thing and apologise!

Do think MorgAn is the stand out international 8 though. Can't understand his absence!

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Apologies Here Empty Re: Apologies Here

Post by Biltong Thu 02 May 2013, 9:51 pm

Sorry
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Thu 02 May 2013, 9:59 pm

Regarding Morgan I don't think he deserved to tour, whilst i do rate him as a player and think he has the potential, his injuries and not playing in the Six Nations or at all until very recently essentially put him out of contention. I know the likes of POC and Lydiate have been rushed in, but both of them have proven their worth and quality above their competitors, whereas Ben's just not a significantly higher player than Falatau or Heaslip

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 02 May 2013, 10:59 pm

Looseheaded wrote:Regarding Morgan I don't think he deserved to tour, whilst i do rate him as a player and think he has the potential, his injuries and not playing in the Six Nations or at all until very recently essentially put him out of contention. I know the likes of POC and Lydiate have been rushed in, but both of them have proven their worth and quality above their competitors, whereas Ben's just not a significantly higher player than Falatau or Heaslip

Depends what you want. The Heaslip of old was better but that isnt the 2013 version that I have seen so far. I'll be happy to be proved wrong if the Lions can get the best out of Heaslip. Faletau is a good player, but neither are as dangerous ball in hand. Morgan's loss to injury after 50 odd minutes vs Scotland (still managing significantly more yards than Beattie in 80) was probably the biggest single blow to England's cause in the 6N. I would also have Beattie in front of Heaslip.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Fri 03 May 2013, 1:19 am

Morgan is the best ball carrying 8 in the world full stop. He gives another option on slow ball that non of the others do. Another dimension to the team would be be Beneficial.

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 03 May 2013, 5:39 am

You seem to have forgotten about Keiran Read.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 May 2013, 5:42 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Morgan is the best ball carrying 8 in the world full stop.

TBH not sure he is the best ball carrying 8 in England, let alone the world, especially of slow ball. Whilst Morgan may be more rounded atm, BillyV is arguably a more impressive ball carrier often carrying several defenders with him as he turns slow ball into go forward ball.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 May 2013, 8:54 am

GloriousEmpire wrote:Morgan is the best ball carrying 8 in the world full stop. He gives another option on slow ball that non of the others do. Another dimension to the team would be be Beneficial.

Erm Yahoo Apologies Here 1347041234

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 May 2013, 9:07 am

Nick Williams of Ulster, formerly of Munster, is a better ball carrying no.8 than Morgan IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 03 May 2013, 9:11 am

I have to admit he is very talented 8, a natural ball carrier who adds a lot to England... but he needs to get fitter, he can't last 80 mins and his impact deminishes as the game goes on... England lose a lot when he is out injured.

Had he been fit and had more game time this year I think he would have travelled with the lions over Heaslip.

Haskell/Wood are not in the same league in the position. Both are 6's but not like Dillaglio where they have the potential to move across.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Fri 03 May 2013, 9:24 am

Being serious Morgan could be very very good...as you say FA he must improve his fitness...but that could be an issue because before joining the scarlets i believe he had naturally ballooned to 24 st. So he obviously has a natural weight problem...good for smashing through forwards though...

With him and Billy V both potentially explosive for England at 8...it bodes well. I think having both of them injured for the most of the 6n caused England a huge problem...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by sensisball Fri 03 May 2013, 10:07 am

I agree with most comments re Morgan. He is great when fit, not so good after a long lay-off. Slight gamble taking Lydiate after missing almost the whole season but you know that he will be fully fit by the time they leave for Oz and with two or three tour games under his belt he will be in contention for a starting place. Dont think you can say the same about Morgan.
Im certainly glad Maitland is touring i think he be a real contender for the test team.

My main disappointment is that Ryan Grant has been omitted in favour of Stevens ( average tighthead terrible loosehead) and Vinopuolo ( average loosehead but great around the park (for 30 minutes)).
Grant is a quality scrummager, Adam Jones was singing his praises after the O's went up to Glasgow recently, and he appears all over the park ( he scored two in the aforementioned game) and can play the full 80 without a problem.
Just hope he is on the reserve list as they are likely to need front row players during the tour.

PS. Beatie was always going to struggle if he couldnt make the 8 jersey his at Montpellier. Unfortunately the excellent Alex Tulu has kept him on the bench for too many games to allow him to press his case for selection fully.

sensisball

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 03 May 2013, 10:09 am

I wouldnt have picked Maitland. Not because he isnt good enough though.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 03 May 2013, 10:11 am

This article certainly points out grey areas in the squad, a lot of players who had a ghost of a chance weren't selected. A lot of the combinators do seem to fit the bill though.
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Fri 03 May 2013, 10:15 am

A Glaws no 8, world class and a Lion ?
Yes, Mike Teague

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 May 2013, 10:16 am

Effervescing Elephant wrote:This article certainly points out grey areas in the squad, a lot of players who had a ghost of a chance weren't selected. A lot of the combinators do seem to fit the bill though.

Hello!

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Fri 03 May 2013, 10:32 am

Boom!
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 May 2013, 10:55 am

I dont think its him but I have been wondering about a dragon thats just turned up

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 03 May 2013, 11:01 am

lostinwales wrote:I dont think its him but I have been wondering about a dragon thats just turned up

i think the dragon one is someones second account but not GG.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 03 May 2013, 12:24 pm

beattie is a better ball carrying 8 IMO. just saying..........
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ1 Fri 03 May 2013, 9:35 pm

tigertattie wrote:beattie is a better ball carrying 8 IMO. just saying..........

Indeed he is. But he is a scot thus is overlooked as they don't get the media coverage.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 03 May 2013, 10:07 pm

Maitland scored a beauty tonight vs Connacht.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Wed 08 May 2013, 11:54 am

Maitland had a great game for the Crusaders last weekend too, making some great yards down the left wing and dotting down a cleverly worked try. It took 72 minutes for the Fox commentary team to work out it was Zac Guildford. Hilarious commentary gaffe that one! bodes well for Lions commentary!

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 08 May 2013, 12:28 pm

Big lad who plays 8 for Embra and going to Dragons next season seems pretty handy too
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down