The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

over or under sell?

+5
Dr Gregory House MD
x12x
Dolphin Ziggler
Ent
Mr Video Man
9 posters

Go down

over or under sell? Empty over or under sell?

Post by Mr Video Man Sat 04 May 2013, 7:31 pm

since this has been put in reply to me quite a few times when I talk about dolph other people come back with he over sells too much I don't like him etc.

but I would argue that I would rather watch a guy like dolph who if he was put through a table would stay down for a long time and look like he's in agony as opposed to the cena way of selling and standing straight back up again to hit the aa and win the match.

so here's my question what do you prefer to see? a guy who oversells or a guy who undersells moves?
Mr Video Man
Mr Video Man

Back to top Go down

over or under sell? Empty Re: over or under sell?

Post by Ent Sat 04 May 2013, 8:12 pm

Depends on the level of it. I'd always go for a bit of an Over sell unless its to the level of michaels vs hogan.

Ent

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 04 May 2013, 8:16 pm

I dont particularly agree with all of the overselling stuff, but the example is misleading. Maybe for extremes of each you'd look at Warrior no selling the pedigree and Shawn Michaels ludicrous overselling against Hogan a few years ago. In those instances id rather watch a no sell as you can put it down to strength rather than a guy who looks like a bouncy ball.

In general I prefer Ziggler, I prefer a slight oversell to an undersell but then it depends on your examples.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Sat 04 May 2013, 11:16 pm

I only like under selling if it's for a reason eg. to make someone look like a complete beast...Under selling never fails to make me laugh.

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Sun 05 May 2013, 12:35 am

I'm not sure exactly how we are clarifying selling here.

For me the art of selling is 3 fold

1) Bumping, taking the initial impact of a move, trying to make this as eye-catching/devestating or realistic as possible.

2) Facial expressions, showing the pain you have suffered and convaying it to an audience.

3) Hurting, remembering where you have taken punishment and continuing to convay that pain through your movements and through the story of the match.

In terms of bumping I would agree that Ziggler is guilty on occasion of over doing it (though not nearly as bad as some make out), but on the who his facial expressions are pretty good and he convays being hurt pretty well, though as a heel it isn't as important.

Cena on the other hand, I think his bumpings fine and I don't think his facial expressions are too bad (unless he dosn't realise his opponent hasn't actually applied the move yet ala Jericho at the Rumble), in terms of acting hurt I think that's where he falls down, he just brushes off what happened seconds before and even if he does remember he usually drops it for the big finish.

For me selling is a very important part of telling the story in the ring, and everyone from the underdog babyface to the monster heel will tell that story differently so I'm not sure it's easy to pidgeon hole selling as over or under done.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 05 May 2013, 2:19 pm

I like the example used, going through a table.... I've no problem with how Dolph sells a big bump, its the little bumps that grind my gears, to the extent his selling in the bigger bumps become diluted, if a punch in the jaw can cause him the same discomfot as putting him through a table then why go to the bother of using a table?

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Sun 05 May 2013, 2:33 pm

It's the one thing that I think Ambrose needs to tone down is his facial expressions at times when selling, it draws the audience in with the storytelling but like the moment he was dropped onto the ladder by Ryback he looked like he'd shat his pants.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Brilliant_yep Sun 05 May 2013, 5:08 pm

I was tempted to say that Hero,but I didn't want to upset you haha...I'm not a fan of his over the top facial expressions after moves like a suplex.

Brilliant_yep

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 05 May 2013, 5:22 pm

Hero wrote:It's the one thing that I think Ambrose needs to tone down is his facial expressions at times when selling, it draws the audience in with the storytelling but like the moment he was dropped onto the ladder by Ryback he looked like he'd shat his pants.

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by James_182 Sun 05 May 2013, 6:57 pm

Ambrose sells the hell out of Kane's top rope clothesline!

When Kane delivered that move to him at TLC last year, I marked as Ambrose looked liked he had been killed lol!

James_182

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down