The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
seanmichaels
Adam D
TRUSSMAN66
Rowley
eddyfightfan
Seanusarrilius
Silver
davidemore
Lumbering_Jack
azania
superflyweight
kingraf
darrenr75
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Newbie Empty Newbie

Post by darrenr75 Tue 07 May 2013, 1:37 pm

Hi all

I am new to the board, but have been reading for ages, and you have provided entertainment most visits!

I'm a 37 yr old keen boxing follower, and just wanted some tips regarding fitness. I've recently joined a local boxing gym for fitness and have never been before, an I guess they'll be putting me through my paces.

darrenr75

Back to top Go down

Newbie Empty Re: Newbie

Post by kingraf Tue 07 May 2013, 1:45 pm

Mate, would you mind stating your height and weight, along with your ideal fighting weight. The information helps on online forums where people don't actually know you.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 07 May 2013, 1:52 pm

kingraf wrote:Mate, would you mind stating your height and weight, along with your ideal fighting weight. The information helps on online forums where people don't actually know you.

Think you're confusing this with a dating site.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 May 2013, 1:53 pm

Do you like going to clubs and like fine dining?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 07 May 2013, 1:55 pm

Mind you, Az and Truss have recently found true love with each other.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 May 2013, 1:56 pm

We're usually seen at the Oyster. Truss is a big cuddly bear. Hug

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 May 2013, 2:00 pm

If a guy wants fitness advice, as an unqualified keyboard warrior, the least you could do is know where he stands physically, otherwise you could do more harm than good.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 May 2013, 2:01 pm

Wit that said, Im 5'11, 185-188lbs and I enjoy long walks in the park and working out.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 May 2013, 2:02 pm

Oh, and I don't drink, smoke, or use any recreational, or performance enhancing drugs
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenr75 Tue 07 May 2013, 2:10 pm

Thanks guys - forgot you weren't telepathic.
I'm 5'10' and currently 13 stone 6.

Ideally I need to be 12 stone. My main aim other than a but of weight loss is to vastly improve cardio as its poor at the mo.

darrenr75

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 May 2013, 2:20 pm

Try high intensity interval training- run 400m at 80%, when you done, walk back and go again. Try build yourself to six to ten runs. Three or four times a week. Go on a big jog (start at a mile, build to ten miles) once a week. The guys at the gym should be able to help you with boxing fitness, and nuances.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 May 2013, 2:21 pm

Lypo!

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by darrenr75 Tue 07 May 2013, 3:14 pm

Yeah I've been aware of your responses azania, not being of the highest intelligent type. And we can't all be chiseled sex gods like you now, can we.....

darrenr75

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 May 2013, 3:16 pm

darrenr75 wrote:Yeah I've been aware of your responses azania, not being of the highest intelligent type. And we can't all be chiseled sex gods like you now, can we.....

OK

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 May 2013, 3:28 pm

Pssh, Truss is the "sex god" in that relationship
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Tue 07 May 2013, 3:30 pm

True

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 07 May 2013, 3:50 pm

kingraf wrote:Try high intensity interval training- run 400m at 80%, when you done, walk back and go again. Try build yourself to six to ten runs. Three or four times a week. Go on a big jog (start at a mile, build to ten miles) once a week. The guys at the gym should be able to help you with boxing fitness, and nuances.

Great for fitness I agree but I very much doubt a newby could hold 80% for 200 let alone 400 x 6.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Tue 07 May 2013, 4:05 pm

Fresh meat boys, let's put this mofo in the Dog House! You in the Dog House now darren77!

Woof.

:0)

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 07 May 2013, 4:16 pm

Thats why I said he must build to it, LJ. Im sure he could scrape the first 400m at 80%, and continue adding weekly, or fortnightly.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Tue 07 May 2013, 7:34 pm

darrenr75 wrote:Hi all

I am new to the board, but have been reading for ages, and you have provided entertainment most visits!

I'm a 37 yr old keen boxing follower, and just wanted some tips regarding fitness. I've recently joined a local boxing gym for fitness and have never been before, an I guess they'll be putting me through my paces.

Be sure to put in plenty of core work, though I'm sure you'll get plenty of that from the boxing gym. Squats, DLs and BP always good for any sport. Otherwise HIIT is the way forward for quick cardiovascular fitness as kingraf said. Hill repetitions are good as well, tiring as anything though!

Welcome to 606v2 thumbsup

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 07 May 2013, 7:51 pm

Welcome to the board, Darren! Ignore the silly banter. The boys get a little over excited when they make new friends Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Tue 07 May 2013, 8:58 pm

the guys at the gym will be the best guys to listen too, im sure they know what there on about. if you wanna go the extra mile, jogging never hurts.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 5:59 am

How's he supposed to know what running at 80% is unless he's Mo Farah?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 08 May 2013, 6:01 am

DAVE667 wrote:How's he supposed to know what running at 80% is unless he's Mo Farah?

For me anything above a gentle walking pace would pretty much qualify.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 6:04 am

These days I struggle to hit 79%...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 May 2013, 6:05 am

I would have suggested running as fast as you can is 100%

A little below that would be the 80% mark for the newbie.

Welcome to the board by the way!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 6:08 am

What if he miscalculates, runs at 85 or even 87%, injures himself, blames you and then starts hijacking threads as some kind of payback?

I think you lot need to be very careful when offering tips to strangers (something TRUSS is known to do at the Oyster)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 6:10 am

Any idiot knows that 83.75% is the max for any newbie...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 May 2013, 6:11 am

DAVE667 wrote:What if he miscalculates, runs at 85 or even 87%, injures himself, blames you and then starts hijacking threads as some kind of payback?

I think you lot need to be very careful when offering tips to strangers (something TRUSS is known to do at the Oyster)

Then I shall rain down on him with furious vengeance (which is approx 80% of my full vengeance capabilities)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 08 May 2013, 6:12 am

Rowley wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:How's he supposed to know what running at 80% is unless he's Mo Farah?

Walking pace is walking not running. Which raises the question, when does 100% walking pace turn in to 1% running pace?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 6:14 am

However, if he's a newbie, how is he supposed to accurately calculate these precise measurements? Let's not forget that as fatigue creeps in, his maximum possible pace will be reduced therefore he's going to have to make adjustments as he goes. The only guy who could do that is Stephen hawking and last time I checked, he wasn't overly fussed about having a six pack (unless it was batteries)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 6:15 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Walking pace is walking not running. Which raises the question, when does 100% walking pace turn in to 1% running pace?
The instant BOTH feet leave the floor - however, don't count jumping over puddles, kerbs, fallen pensioners or dog muck

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 6:17 am

Doesn't jogging pace come before running pace.........and then sprinting pace..

1% - 20% - 60% -80% divided by 100 multiplied by 3.75 with a cherry on top..........

Is always the way I get to my optimum pace...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 08 May 2013, 6:17 am

DAVE667 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

The instant BOTH feet leave the floor - however, don't count jumping over puddles, kerbs, fallen pensioners or dog muck

Was Imran Kahn running on this mornings news?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 6:18 am

Adam D wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

I believe that the "feet leaving the floor" part has to be voluntary

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 08 May 2013, 6:19 am

DAVE667 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Are there also allowances in this rule for obsessive compulsives who have to hop over paving joints?

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 6:20 am

Not that i'm complaining but this poor guy has found the courage to come on the board and the FOUNDER has hijacked his first thread...

Can Rowley maybe give him a three day ban or something..

Just isn't cricket you know!! Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 6:21 am

seanmichaels wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

Are there also allowances in this rule for obsessive compulsives who have to hop over paving joints?
If they're not prepared to take a giant stride rather than opt for the feet leaving the floor option, they shouldn't be allowed out of the house.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 08 May 2013, 6:21 am

Adam D wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

I believe he was taking part in the Pakistani pastime of forklift planking.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 08 May 2013, 6:22 am

This should answer any gym related questions you have.

Spoiler:

Most of the board only follow tip number 9. Especially when Truss is out at the gym.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 May 2013, 6:23 am

seanmichaels wrote:
Adam D wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
seanmichaels wrote:
Rowley wrote:

I believe he was taking part in the Pakistani pastime of forklift planking.
He was distraught at the news of Jeff Hanneman's death and wanted one last stage dive

"Angel of Deeeeaaaaathhhhh!"

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 6:23 am

Do I get a fee for use in a place it wasn't intended..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 08 May 2013, 6:26 am

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:This should answer any gym related questions you have.

Spoiler:

Most of the board only follow tip number 9. Especially when Truss is out at the gym.

I appreciated this article particularly no.10. I listened to my body and it told me an 8 pack of Taurus cider from Aldi at £3.99 was what it needed. Tells me that quite often these days.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 08 May 2013, 8:05 am

80%- If you normally run 100m in 20 seconds at full tilt, you should run 80 metres in 20 seconds at 80%..
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Newbie Empty Another Newbie

Post by davidemore Wed 08 May 2013, 8:19 am

Hi Guys,

Reading the 'Newbie' thread yesterday I was delighted to see how welcoming the forum is to new blood. Even the seemingly admired poster, Adam D, cited as being a founder of this board, welcomed the new poster. Wow.

Well, as a fairly new poster myself I am a little nervous. Please, let me introduce myself.

My name is davidemore. Some people call me emore or davide or ****, I'm easy on all name fronts, except for the latter.

Anywho, not much more to say other than, hello. It's nice to meet you all. I hope that I'm accepted the way the other newbie was, and look forward to posting more regularly than I have. It takes courage.

So, my first question in regards to boxing, a sport I think I am starting to understand.

Why do boxers often say "only god can judge me"? I noticed Mayweather saying it recently, and I have heard other boxers say it too. Is it only god that can judge a boxer? Is there some special deal going on? I'm confused.

Anyway, thank you for your time, heart

Best,

davidemore

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 08 May 2013, 8:28 am

I think fighters who win fights by KO are well within their rights to say that. After all, if you win via KO, then the judges cant judge you, can they?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 08 May 2013, 8:31 am

This thread don't know s*** about boxing. Lol.

Old Roger coined a phrase there, did he not?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 08 May 2013, 8:32 am

kingraf wrote:I think fighters who win fights by KO are well within their rights to say that. After all, if you win via KO, then the judges cant judge you, can they?

thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Wed 08 May 2013, 8:35 am

Very good king, lol.

Only emore can judge me.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed 08 May 2013, 8:50 am

Who judges the judges?