The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: No Longer the "Fifth Major"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

+27
lorus59
Good Golly I'm Olly
Diggers
puligny
Sheldo25
GPB
Roller_Coaster
hend085
pedro
robopz
monty junior
SmithersJones
gaelgowfer
incontinentia
Sand
beninho
princedracula
Shotrock
super_realist
Bob_the_Job
McLaren
sirbenson
ScottieD18
twoeightnine
navyblueshorts
Redrage
kwinigolfer
31 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: No Longer the "Fifth Major"?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: No Longer the "Fifth Major"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 May 2013, 7:15 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).What a week! We learned the importance of being Ernst, the legacy of Linda Watson's driver, and saw a weekend when the Island 17th green at TPC was truly an island.

2).Ernst first, and a salutary reminder that a golfer making his PGA Tour debut, as Derek Ernst did, with a 6-under-par round of 65 at last year's Fry's.com event, is well worth watching. He came straight through the final old-style Q-School which is yet another example that not all golfers who earn their PGA Tour cards via Q-School are ill-equipped to handle the rigours of the Tour.

3).And Fred Couples of course is another who turned pro on a whim, borrowed enough money to enter a mini-Tour event, cashed a cheque for $1,800.00 and hot-footed it to Q-School where he earned his card. The rest is history and a deserved place in the World Golf Hall Of Fame where he told the story of lifting Tom Watson's wife's driver from Watson's garage and using it during his early Tour career.
A characteristic "aw shucks" speech from Freddie on Monday night as he was inducted into the WGHOF; interesting the stories told about how much Lee Trevino meant to his career and very emotional as he left the stage sobbing uncontrollably.

4).Apart from Derek Ernst, Quail Hollow also saw a return to form for Robert Karlsson and Ross Fisher, both of whom earned "higher spots" in the "rookie" money list as the second reshuffle was announced.
Life on Tour is fickle though and both Fish and Karlsson get this week off and will probably be on the shelf for all but a couple of the next six weeks as we enter the season of invitationals, Players and US Open. The top ten free pass for the next full-field event will get them in to the Byron Nelson which they'd get into anyway. Then, unless they receive an invitation, they'll miss Colonial and the Memorial, play Memphis (scene of Karlsson play-off losses in 2010 and 2011) hopefully and only get a trip to Merion if they qualify. No-one said this would be easy.
And kudos to David Lynn, not just for his terrific performance last week but a great "rookie" season. He says he won't be back in the States until the PGA Championship but hopefully common sense will persuade him to take his place at Merion and play the Bridgestone (assuming he stays in the Top 50).

5).After noting last week that Justin Rose led the field in greens in regulation at New Orleans, Rory McIlroy led the stat at Quail Hollow, only to finish close to the bottom of the all-important "strokes gained putting" stat.
But Rory now leads the "All Around" ranking of PGA Tour players and the leaders are quite reflective of the season so far - in order:
McIlroy, Woods, Rose, Sneds, Horschel, Henley, Stads, Hoffman, Walker, Jason Day, Kirk.

6).Ernie Els continued his globe-trotting with a successful-ish trip to Indonesia, hardly the ideal preparation for a Players tournament where he has seldom contended. But perhaps he nails the status of The Players in the minds of most international players when he blogs the Championship "is about as big as it gets (on the PGA Tour) outside of a major or WGC event".

7).The magic sponge has apparently worked wonders on almost a dozen players who opted out of last week's Wells Fargo event, and Dustin Johnson (hope security is up to snuff for him), Crane, Goosen, Jacobson and Poulter, to name a few, will return to action at Pete Dye's most famous course, if not his best. And Vijay returns after bolting from Charlotte at the last minute to consult his lawyers.

8).I like 17/18th's of the course, but consider the 17th to be among the very worst holes in Championship golf. But, of course, it's the one everyone writes about so I will too, with a few stat's from pgatour.com:
~11% of tee shots on #17 find the drink.
~Robert Allenby has played #17 36 times since last taking a bath. Rollins (30) and Singh (29) also have impressive runs since splashdown.
~Of those playing this week, Bob Estes and Baddeley have hit eight balls in to the water over the past ten years, Mickelson has drowned 7. (Boring Bob Tway has nine but thankfully he's on the Champions Tour now.)
~Paul Azinger is the only player in the history of the Players to birdie #17 in all four rounds (in 1987).
~The Most Interesting Man in the World has the last hole-in-one here, in 2002 RedWine

9).Americans dominate the list of winners at "TPC" but, since Sandy Lyle broke through 26 years ago, "Internationals" have more than held their own with victories from Elkington (2), Price, Norman, Perks, Scott, Ames, Garcia, Stenson, Clark and KJ Choi. Europeans have contended regularly, with runners up finishes from Faldo, Langer (2), newly minted WGHOF'er Montgomerie, Harrington (2), Donald, Poulter and Martin Laird. Brian Davis has played well here, Westwood should arguably have beaten Clark in 2010, and McDowell led until going completely haywire in 2012, while Jacobson, Kaymer and Pettersson have finished well without really contending. Sergio is leading money-winner here and I'd expect he, Stenson, Donald (3 top 6's these past 8 years), Poulter, McDowell and Westwood all to enjoy good weeks.

10).I really can't find good value among the Americans and would think a half-crown each way investment on long shots would give far better value than the media favourites. My ten bob will go on Chris Stroud and David Toms.
This is a compelling tournament to watch on a course that rewards precision and penalises mistakes more than most. The weather should mostly be fine (chance of Sunday showers, and moderate breezes the only flies in the ointment) after last weekend's deluge which saw much of the course submerged.
Power is a virtue only if you hit the ball straight, but decent ball-striking and a magical short game will be rewarded. Think an in-form Snedeker. But Snedeker is not in great form and perhaps another International streak will begin!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: No Longer the "Fifth Major"?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: No Longer the "Fifth Major"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 May 2013, 7:55 pm

Five birdies in a row for Ryan Palmer.
Which makes perfect sense as his best finish here is T75 - remaining six visits resulted in missed cuts.
Maybe he's just getting prepped for the Byron Nelson where he often seems to play well.

incont: Tiger in the sand off the first tee . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: No Longer the "Fifth Major"?: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: No Longer the "Fifth Major"?: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 May 2013, 8:45 pm

according to a news story i read today, david lynn wasn't joking about skipping the us open to go on holiday, it's actually happening! what a putz!
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 09 May 2013, 8:58 pm

incon ... maybe he just doesn't fancy playing this course. I seem to recall there being some criticism of the venue (Merion) regarding its condition or summat? Kwini ... oh kwini ...

Still, i don't get the too tired bit. I would have thought playing in a major ... any major ... would be sufficient to get the blood flowing.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 09 May 2013, 8:59 pm

Shotrock wrote:Super - Royal Dornoch, Golspie, Brora.

Can't wait.

Golspie got hit with a freak high tide last autumn and it caused a hell of a lot of damage. I dunno how the repairs have worked out but I played it in the summer and the rough was frightening! Brora is only just up the road but it wasn't damaged as badly as Golspie.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 May 2013, 9:08 pm

gael,
I haven't heard a whisper of any criticism of Merion; single-file fairways and lightning fast greens, but I'm sure it will be in terrific nick.
I'm sure sense will prevail . . . . wouldnchathink?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 09 May 2013, 9:25 pm

Fair enough kwini. Perhaps what I glanced over was reference to course set-up rather than conditioning.

USGA routinely comes in for a lot of criticism for not setting up its venue in birdie fest mode. Have to admit, I quite enjoy watching 'em struggle ... like wot the rest of us have to do on a regular basis! Laugh

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 May 2013, 9:29 pm

Horrendous putting display from Mr.Westwood - maybe those inside-five-feet'ers are too close for him to make a proper putter swing. Hit and hope so far today, yet he's driving the ball beautifully.

gael,
The course will play short so they'll probably take the driver out of the players' hands. Poulter tweeted at the weekend that he loved it and it has a fantastic reputation so fingers crossed: Shotrock ,"marshalling", will be our on the spot reporter.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 May 2013, 9:32 pm

Merion took something like 8 acres of fairway away, and it's in amazing shape at the moment. Professionals have been coming in and out, Mickelson and others last week for instance. If it's wet, scores should be low, but if dry and firm even par could win there. I hope they don't dial the greens up too much.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 09 May 2013, 9:37 pm

kwini ... I absolutely hate Westy's putting routine and I just don't understand why someone who golfs for a living cannot chip. steam

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 May 2013, 9:49 pm

The antithesis of a feel player, that's for sure.

Meanwhile, the leading money winner in this event, El Sergio, is starting to move through the gears.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 May 2013, 9:55 pm

And even St.Padraig moving up the leaderboard. He used to play well here in eons gone by - perhaps his contrarian nature will see him recapture that?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 09 May 2013, 10:03 pm

Surely Westwood couldn't putt any worse if he took a more natural approach? He looks so uncomfortable and seems more focused on the mechanics than getting the ball in the hole.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 May 2013, 10:09 pm

Bloody Hell Harrington - but par 5 coming up. Hold your breath or hold your nose.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 09 May 2013, 10:37 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Surely Westwood couldn't putt any worse if he took a more natural approach? He looks so uncomfortable and seems more focused on the mechanics than getting the ball in the hole.

As the guys mentioned in commentary he brings the putter way off the ground, you will never strike it consistently with such an action.

Garcia putting amazingly well

Tiger flawless notworthy

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 May 2013, 10:42 pm

yes, 9 chins is playing really well, astonishing chip as i type.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 09 May 2013, 10:43 pm

I thought it was 8 chins after Bayhill?

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 May 2013, 10:46 pm

ha ha! poulter in the drink at 17! Yahoo
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 May 2013, 10:50 pm

...and eastwood hits a superb putt at 17.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Thu 09 May 2013, 10:50 pm

He was in the drink at 16 too, incredible consistency..

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 May 2013, 10:52 pm

No love for Lee ... yet Lukey and Rose in stall and Poulter in reverse?

Tiger!!!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 May 2013, 10:58 pm

Plenty of love for Lee, just not for those tiddlers he misses - at least three under five feet, probably more.
Good two-putt just now though, better than most . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Thu 09 May 2013, 11:03 pm

dare we dream of a Rory/Tiger sunday duel at this point?
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 09 May 2013, 11:11 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Good two-putt just now though, better than most . . . . .

It's easy to forget you're not watching the same coverage we are Kwini. Ewan Murray said exactly that on Sky, and they then replayed Tigers 2001 putt. Ever thought of a career as a golf commentator? Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 May 2013, 12:34 am

Super start Padraig!!! Keep it going!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 10 May 2013, 2:49 am

incontinentia wrote:according to a news story i read today, david lynn wasn't joking about skipping the us open to go on holiday, it's actually happening! what a putz!
PUTZ.... Yeah... Like I said... Very Happy

Last edited by robopz on Fri 10 May 2013, 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 10 May 2013, 2:52 am

B R E A K I N G

Vijay fires a 74... Files suit in Florida Superior Court to have it amended to a 69... Claims intentional placement of hazards inflicted emotional distress and loss of reputation.

(Gotta love our legal system here in the U.S.... Veeg would probably be 50/50 to win such a case with the jurys we got... sigh... )

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 May 2013, 4:00 am

lee westwood is 8th in the scrambling stats so far this season.

http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.130.html

On VJ, are you not normally advised to avoid contact with those you are suing? Maybe he should stay away from the tour until the case is over. Also he is only claiming the interest on frozen prize money during his doping investigation.

Could he be any more out of touch?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 May 2013, 8:44 am

Is Roberto Castro the fourth Cleveland brother?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 10 May 2013, 9:39 am

McLaren wrote:lee westwood is 8th in the scrambling stats so far this season.

http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.130.html

On VJ, are you not normally advised to avoid contact with those you are suing? Maybe he should stay away from the tour until the case is over. Also he is only claiming the interest on frozen prize money during his doping investigation.

Could he be any more out of touch?

he was dead last of 191 competitors in 2012

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 10 May 2013, 10:51 am

paddy harrington +4.5 in strokes gained putting, with his belly putter.
G'wan the paddy!

he turned up out of the blue at the final event of a society for low handicappers (<5) in Dublin a couple of weeks ago, had time for everyone there- must have posed for about 200 photos and gave a real in depth Q&A session.

he explained his "inconsistency" comment and frankly it made alot of sense, pretty much adding to the debate of Saragin vs. OWGR.
which awards you more over 3 events?
MC, 1, MC or T15 T20 T12?

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Fri 10 May 2013, 1:24 pm

I'd guess (and it is a pure guess) MC 1 MC?

Not a fan of Paddy golf wise but interested to hear of anything of note he had to say? Certainly sounds like a good guy as it must be a bit of a ball ache at times to have the same happy face on for photos!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 1:36 pm

Ah,
Lee starts his first round as he kicked off Round 1 - with a missed putt from inside 5 feet.

Kevin Chappell starting off (-4 after 4) at Stallings pace. But Stallings stalled. What will Chappell do? He's a surefire future winner, another cocky young American but shows flashes of brilliance.

Did someone mention "inconsistency" in a Harrington context? Bogey, birdie start for Padraig.

Likely cut at -1 or even.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by hend085 Fri 10 May 2013, 1:39 pm

whether you agree or disagree with his views is somewhat irrelevant i think.

to hear what he has to say about the psychology of the game is fascinating IMO.
here's a video from a talk i was at a few months ago when he spoke to the University Philosophical society. i reccomend it for all those that consider themselves "obsessed"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXxZsx5O8zU

hend085

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 1:52 pm

Listening to Padraig thumbsup

So I wished good things for Westwood and, hey presto, EAGLE!

All because I was confident and smiling!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 May 2013, 1:59 pm

Great link! Harrington is a legend!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 2:02 pm

More positive thoughts for Lee!!!!

This is working great, hend0, Padraig is fascinating! clap

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 May 2013, 2:07 pm

I hope it isn't prayer Kwini

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 2:11 pm

Not at all; that's what Webb Simpson's twitter account is for - avoid at all costs.
Difficult to do when golfchannel publishes every trite biblical reference.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 2:12 pm

Padraig is brilliant.
A tap-in birdie for Westwood Very Happy should really be -5 after 4.

hend0: Inspiring from Padraig - Lee on course for 54 and if I keep this on I've no doubt he'll do it!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 2:33 pm

hend0,
That's one of the best 49 minutes 21 seconds I've listened to - GREAT!

Begs the question as to how many other pro sports figures could be so articulate, no ums or ers, great stuff.

Learned more about Harrington in 49 minutes than I have about Woods in 20 years - which I suppose is the idea as far as Tiger is concerned, but lovely stuff. Thanks.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 10 May 2013, 4:04 pm

Harrington going backwards and missing putts again. He really does believe consistency isn't needed then.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 4:26 pm

Rose treading water also, another poor putting week for him so far.

But 1st, 6th and 2 x T9 is not bad for Westwood, Rory, Sergio and Laird.

Poulter was bemoaning is living arrangements last night - apparently had to move out of his rental house ("unhygienic") and hotel evidently no better.
Perhaps he's under pressure from his family to get back to their mansion before he zooms off to Bulgaria, because he certainly isn't making anything happen on the course.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 May 2013, 4:45 pm

Nine chins on the charge. I'm still a bit concerned by dislike for the man hasn't really returned.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 4:55 pm

Starting to lose some Europeans:
Owen, Thorbjorn, Poults and Gonzo are all gonzo. Justin Rose too if he doesn't get going.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 10 May 2013, 5:01 pm

3 birdies in a row from Sergio!!!

C'mon... Very Happy

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 10 May 2013, 5:10 pm

Tiger!! thumbsup

A fine start ...

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 5:15 pm

4 in a row from Sergio!

Laird -6 for the day, along with Westwood.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 May 2013, 5:27 pm

Soap Dodger Laird -6 through 13. Not bad going.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 May 2013, 5:31 pm

Is that a Scottish characteristic super? Never heard that one.

Seven birds in 9 holes for Sergio - unbelievable putting in that group with Donald manufacturing a score with smoke and mirrors.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 10 May 2013, 5:34 pm

Glaswegians are commonly known as soap dodgers Kwini on account of not washing and living in wheely bins.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next