The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Petrov Retires

+7
Ayrshirebhoy
NickisBHAFC
dummy_half
The Special Juan
Crimey
westisbest
Rowley
11 posters

Go down

Petrov Retires Empty Petrov Retires

Post by Rowley Thu 09 May 2013, 11:31 am

Sad but perhaps inevitable news today that Stiliyan Petrov has retired from football in his ongoing battle with leukemia. As many of you will be aware Stan is currently in remission and so hopefully is winning his battle with the disease. As a Villa fan can only wish him well in his fight and hope he enjoys his premature retirement in good health.

A fine professional, decent player and very good servant to the club who I can only wish nothing but the best. Get well soon skipper.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Petrov Retires Empty Re: Petrov Retires

Post by westisbest Thu 09 May 2013, 11:47 am

Well said Rowley.

Certainly been missed in our midfield this season.

Main thing is now that he wins his battle as you say.
Always thought he was a decent honest player.

Heard that the Villa fans will be paying extra tribute to Stan, by wearing Villa shirts with his name on the back, celtic shirts, or bulgaria shirts.

He will certainly be missed in a Villa shirt.

Good luck Stan all the best OK

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 09 May 2013, 11:48 am

It's a shame that his football career ended in the way it did. He was always a player I liked.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 May 2013, 1:26 pm

Wish him well...always like the tributes and applause every home game from the Villa fans!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 09 May 2013, 3:01 pm

He's a really good player and it's sad to hear about this. It's even sadder it's been overshadowed by Fergie but I hope the media give him a proper tribute. Any word of a testimonial or charity match?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 09 May 2013, 3:21 pm

The Special Juan wrote:He's a really good player and it's sad to hear about this. It's even sadder it's been overshadowed by Fergie but I hope the media give him a proper tribute. Any word of a testimonial or charity match?

Hopefully Villa and Celtic could arrange something to help launch Petrov's new charity initiative.

Anyway, let me just add my wishes for a long, happy and healthy retirement for one of the model professionals of the modern game.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 09 May 2013, 3:50 pm

dummy_half wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:He's a really good player and it's sad to hear about this. It's even sadder it's been overshadowed by Fergie but I hope the media give him a proper tribute. Any word of a testimonial or charity match?

Hopefully Villa and Celtic could arrange something to help launch Petrov's new charity initiative.

Anyway, let me just add my wishes for a long, happy and healthy retirement for one of the model professionals of the modern game.

Did hear we're playing Celtic, think it'll be a home and away match.

Sometime in July.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 09 May 2013, 3:51 pm

Have not heard anything yet but would expect them to arrange something. Lerner tends to be good on stuff like this, we had a charity as our shirt sponsor for his first couple of seasons in charge and he takes the clubs role in the community and such stuff pretty seriously so you’d like to think they would arrange something to help along the charity.

Got to agree about Petrov’s professionalism, remember when he was dropped under O’Neill some years ago he was asked about it by a journalist and he pretty much said “I deserved it, I have been playing crap. I’ll get my head down and get back in the side” Little thing but rare for a modern player to be so honest. Whenever things like this happen there tends to be an airbrushing around the person but in Stan’s case genuinely think the tributes have been well earned and deserved.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 09 May 2013, 4:59 pm

Very upsetting day in the game.

Always been a fan of him, even in his Celtic days. Moved to the Prem and proved to be a top signing for Villa. Very good player, but above all a really nice guy it seems as well.

Probably the best decision he had to make, but i hope he can stay in the game in some capacity.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu 09 May 2013, 6:36 pm

westisbest wrote:
dummy_half wrote:

Did hear we're playing Celtic, think it'll be a home and away match.

Sometime in July.

Indeed, and if they are to play Celtic this close season it'll be a nice touch.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ayrshirebhoy Thu 09 May 2013, 6:45 pm

All the best to Stan the man. Sad to see him retiring but at least he has his health, cash and silverware and I hope his foundation kicks off well. Really liked the villa fans applause during his minute, it was a great touch and they have won a fan from up north.

Ayrshirebhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by tomfinneywalksonwater Thu 09 May 2013, 8:41 pm

All the best Stan, the first game I ever took my soon to watch was Villa vs Sunderland, Stan scored a cracker and my 5 year old insisted on a Villa shirt with Petrov on the back. Broke my heart as a Preston fan. Hope for a long and healthy retirement.

tomfinneywalksonwater

Back to top Go down

Post by Colan (niner) Fri 10 May 2013, 2:16 pm

As a Rangers fan, I was always anxious when you knew he was playing, both because of his diving days but also because he was a top class player! Was shocked a little when he moved down south to a smaller club but he wanted to prove himself in the best league and he absolutely did, always a good watch

Colan (niner)

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 10 May 2013, 3:33 pm

Colan (niner) wrote:As a Rangers fan, I was always anxious when you knew he was playing, both because of his diving days but also because he was a top class player! Was shocked a little when he moved down south to a smaller club but he wanted to prove himself in the best league and he absolutely did, always a good watch

Nah, he never played for the blues Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 10 May 2013, 4:03 pm

shame that he has to retire, however the most important thing is his health and family...hope he has a happy retirement!!

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 23 May 2013, 11:48 am

Great that he has been offerd a coaching role along side Cowans.

Delighted he is staying with the club.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 23 May 2013, 2:46 pm

I knew Stan was done with playing when he got diagnosed, I was always hopeful he'd come back but realistically I couldnt see it.

Delighted he got a job at Villa although it's a no-brainer that the club would look after such a wonderful servant....I always loved Stan, he had the biggest arse you'd ever expect to see on a player when he was 19 and was often played at right back which he was horrendous at but despite only being 19, played out of position and homesick he found inner strength to stick with it and become an absolute beast of a midfielder for Celtic in Scotland and in Europe.

For me Stan was at his best when he was making late runs and scoring goals. He is still a much loved hero with Celtic fans and the fact he was one of the players that got us to Seville means he'll always be closely linked, also Celtic fans have been applauding the 19th minute wver since he was diagnosed so I think any game with Villa probably should be a Home & Away affair as it'd sell out the two stadiums.

I wish him so much luck and good health for his future, having mey him a number of times I know what a genuiely nice boy he was and man he became

Whether you're Bulgarian, a Villa fan or a Celtic fan Stan Petrov will always be considered one of our own

Thanks for the memorieis Stan

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by 6oldenbhoy Thu 23 May 2013, 10:15 pm

Any news on the potential friendly? As a Celtic fan living in Birmingham, I'd definitely be there at Villa Park.

6oldenbhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 23 May 2013, 10:37 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:I knew Stan was done with playing when he got diagnosed, I was always hopeful he'd come back but realistically I couldnt see it.

Delighted he got a job at Villa although it's a no-brainer that the club would look after such a wonderful servant....I always loved Stan, he had the biggest arse you'd ever expect to see on a player when he was 19 and was often played at right back which he was horrendous at but despite only being 19, played out of position and homesick he found inner strength to stick with it and become an absolute beast of a midfielder for Celtic in Scotland and in Europe.

For me Stan was at his best when he was making late runs and scoring goals. He is still a much loved hero with Celtic fans and the fact he was one of the players that got us to Seville means he'll always be closely linked, also Celtic fans have been applauding the 19th minute wver since he was diagnosed so I think any game with Villa probably should be a Home & Away affair as it'd sell out the two stadiums.

I wish him so much luck and good health for his future, having mey him a number of times I know what a genuiely nice boy he was and man he became

Whether you're Bulgarian, a Villa fan or a Celtic fan Stan Petrov will always be considered one of our own

Thanks for the memorieis Stan

Really nice post OK

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Fri 24 May 2013, 8:56 am

6oldenbhoy wrote:Any news on the potential friendly? As a Celtic fan living in Birmingham, I'd definitely be there at Villa Park.

Think I heard it was going to be in July.

Home and away matches, not sure the dates.
Read this few months ago.
Will try and go to the game at VP aswell.
Couple of Celtic fans who would join us, may make a night of it in Birmingham.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down