The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Welsh lions front row?

+15
fa0019
100%beefy
Knowsit17
welshboii15
thebluesmancometh
Looseheaded
broadlandboy
Cyril
Jhamer25
The Saint
maestegmafia
nathan
bedfordwelsh
BigTrevsbigmac
t1000advancedprototype
19 posters

Go down

All Welsh lions front row? Empty All Welsh lions front row?

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun May 12, 2013 8:32 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVKQdlau5X8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Pretty good chance of Adam Jones and Richard Hibbard making the test team but I also fancy this valley boyo to stake a claim...

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

All Welsh lions front row? Empty Re: All Welsh lions front row?

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun May 12, 2013 8:47 am

Love to see Mako/Healey,Hibbard,Cole start.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 am

Healey to start for me with Makos impact off bench
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun May 12, 2013 8:50 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:Healey to start for me with Makos impact off bench

Yes I think your probably right OK

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun May 12, 2013 9:06 am

i've never heard him talk before, didn't realise mako has a welsh accent.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 12, 2013 12:31 pm

nathan wrote:i've never heard him talk before, didn't realise mako has a welsh accent.
He is Toby Faletaus Cousin and Toby has a welsh accent.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun May 12, 2013 1:26 pm

Because Mako grew up in Pontypool did he not?

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 12, 2013 2:28 pm

The Saint wrote:Because Mako grew up in Pontypool did he not?

Aye

Is a valley boy went to school in Porth up the Rhondda.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun May 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Tuilagi went to school in Rhigos.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun May 12, 2013 3:42 pm

I predict an all welsh front row.
Adam will start becuase he is the ebst tight head in the lions, no scarp that the world.
And with adam you must have Gethin. Both great players around the park and and in the scrum.
Cian is my impact player and im stilll trying to understand why mako and vunipolo and stevens are going on the tour.
Mako has a really good 20 minutes befor ehe is puffing out of his !!!!!
Matt can't scrummage either. And he would get destoryed by ben alexander.
Cole shows weakneeses in the scrum as well which concludes that adam is the certain choice at 3. as we will target the scrum.
Hibbard or youngs to start maybe Hibbard but it depends on how he plays in the midweek games. Youngs is a promising hooker but lacks in throwing in. Rory best was my obvious choice but he isn't going (which is criminal).
For me an all wlesh front row of:
1.Gethin
2.Hibbard (should be rory best)
3.Adam

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sun May 12, 2013 3:51 pm

t1000advancedprototype wrote:Tuilagi went to school in Rhigos.

That would be JCC in Hinckley then!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun May 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Another "Lions Spirit" thread Rolling Eyes

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 12, 2013 4:50 pm

Lets hope Gethin doesn't start.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 12, 2013 5:11 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Lets hope Gethin doesn't start.

I really don't understand your comment there Bedford, Gethin Jenkins is one of the best Looseheads around, the type of player that revels in big games and always steps up to the level needed, why would you hope he doesn't start?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 pm

Maes,

Cos he's not the best loosehead around anymore, James is a far better technical scrummager than Jenkins (always has been) but isn't on the tour.

Healy (IMO) is also a better technical scrummager than Gethin and offers similar around the park.

Jenkins' gametime has again been limited to the type of gameplan Toulon play and as we seen in the 6 Nations it took him the first few games to get his fitness back up.

On a tour like this we need players to hit the ground running,like I said earlier for me I would go with Healy to start and Mako to make an impact off the bench.

Will Gethin even be available for all the training camps?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Sun May 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Nathan,IIRC Manu went to Wales for a short time when one of his brothers was playing for a Welsh club

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Sun May 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Will another hooker be called up with Youngs & Hartley both being in the Jeff final?

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 12, 2013 6:06 pm

broadlandboy wrote:Will another hooker be called up with Youngs & Hartley both being in the Jeff final?

Very much doubt it but looks odds on that Hibbard will start.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun May 12, 2013 6:42 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Maes,

Cos he's not the best loosehead around anymore, James is a far better technical scrummager than Jenkins (always has been) but isn't on the tour.

Healy (IMO) is also a better technical scrummager than Gethin and offers similar around the park.

Jenkins' gametime has again been limited to the type of gameplan Toulon play and as we seen in the 6 Nations it took him the first few games to get his fitness back up.

On a tour like this we need players to hit the ground running,like I said earlier for me I would go with Healy to start and Mako to make an impact off the bench.

Knowing Gethin Jenkins as all Welsh fans should, he always plays his best for the big tests. His scrummaging for Wales, especially in the championship winning final game was superb. He demolished his much vaunted opposite number, and was amazing in the loose and as a leader.

He is finished with Toulon, thank god, and on his way home. He has played less rugby than usual and will be fresher than the other looseheads.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sun May 12, 2013 6:48 pm

Alessana Tuilagi was born in Briton Ferry.

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 12, 2013 7:23 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Maes,

Knowing Gethin Jenkins as all Welsh fans should, he always plays his best for the big tests. His scrummaging for Wales, especially in the championship winning final game was superb. He demolished his much vaunted opposite number, and was amazing in the loose and as a leader.

He is finished with Toulon, thank god, and on his way home. He has played less rugby than usual and will be fresher than the other looseheads.

Maes,

Coming back to Wales is best thing he could have done, his move to Toulon didn't pay off but you can't knock him for giving it a shot.

With gametime behind him and (probably) being 1st choice next season will only help him get back to where we know he is capable of playing but scrummaging has never been his strongest element, it was his all round game that stood him apart from others but whilst that has dropped of late there are better scrummaging props out there
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sun May 12, 2013 7:37 pm

Having heard his accent, I all of a sudden quite like Mako...

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun May 12, 2013 8:24 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote

He is finished with Toulon, thank god, and on his way home. He has played less rugby than usual and will be fresher than the other looseheads. We are just lucky we have Gethin and Paul in the welsh team and gethin and cian in the lions team.
Well said maesteg, Gethin is a class player and we saw tht when he played in the later part of the six nations. Yes Gethin wasn't the best at the start but you said it yourself Bedford. he hasn't had game time and it's affected his play.
He destroyed Cole in the six nations and with adam they are a prolific front row. Best of this century. Yes that's sounds biased but you ask any southern hemisphere prop and they will mention both their names of who they respect the most.

Last edited by Jhamer25 on Sun May 12, 2013 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 12, 2013 8:26 pm

jhamer,

So how much game time will he have had since then though thats my point.

The Lions need to hit the ground running from game 1 not be working on match fitness stiull by game 4 or 5?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 pm

jhamer,

The Lions need to hit the ground running from game 1 not be working on match fitness stiull by game 4 or 5?

Gatland does wonders for players fitness, just see what he did for us in the world cup. we were possibly the fittest side in the tournament. Also there are a lot of midweek games and the barbarians game before hand. gethin will be back to best come the first test. Trust me

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun May 12, 2013 8:31 pm

Jhamer25 wrote:
jhamer,

Gatland does wonders for players fitness, just see what he did for us in the world cup. we were possibly the fittest side in the tournament. Also there are a lot of midweek games and the barbarians game before hand. gethin will be back to best come the first test. Trust me

If he is the great and I will happily eat the proverbial humble pie but for me Healy would still start alongside Hibbard and Jones
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Sun May 12, 2013 8:34 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:
Jhamer25 wrote:
jhamer,

If he is the great and I will happily eat the proverbial humble pie but for me Healy would still start alongside Hibbard and Jones

I'm with Bedford, Heal Hibbard Jones at present, although I could see the value of starting Cole instead... Shocked That is one powerfull and dynamic front row of back rowers!!

Gething will take a few weeks hard training and at least 3 full games to get fit, thats a lot of gametime and a lot of investment on one player in a tour like that, Vunipola and Healy will both need gametime too!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun May 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Some Welsh posters want the Lions to be the all Welsh. To the detriment of the Lions if necessary.

I'm no Lions fan really but this is silly chaps.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by welshboii15 Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Mako and his brother played for wattstown (however you spell it) in the rhondda. But I see Hey hibbard Jones as the front row

welshboii15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Some Welsh posters want the Lions to be the all Welsh. To the detriment of the Lions if necessary.

Which ones? Certainly none on this thread. Even the OP was in favour of an English loosehead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun May 12, 2013 9:07 pm

Griff wrote:
Cyril on 606v2 wrote:Some Welsh posters want the Lions to be the all Welsh. To the detriment of the Lions if necessary.

Which ones? Certainly none on this thread. Even the OP was in favour of an English loosehead.
If you can't see what he meant then it's not worth explaining.

Come on Griff!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 9:09 pm

If, IF, he did mean a Welshman when he talked about Mako then he was still only talking about an all welsh front row! Hardly proposing an all welsh 15.

Come on yourself, Cyril!

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm

Griff wrote:Come on yourself, Cyril!
That's hardly suitable for a family forum Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 12, 2013 9:54 pm

Cyril on 606v2 wrote:
Griff wrote:Come on yourself, Cyril!
That's hardly suitable for a family forum Wink

Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 am

Healy is, probably for good reason, the most widely supported option to start loosehead in the first test. With Gatland at the head, I wouldn't be overly-surprised if we did see an all-Welsh front row. Whatever the case, it was never going to be a weak position. In Healy and Jenkins you have two proven players at this level, add to that Vunipola who is a slight gamble but has given a good account of himself so far. A strong case has been made for Grant which I agree with somewhat as he's made the position his own for Scotland with some solid performances but as I said it isn't an area where we're in dire need either way.

Views tend to be fickle here but I think people are too quick to discount Jenkins' contribution. He has consistently featured in all Welsh success from 2005 up to now, still showing he can play a big part in the most recent 6N. I think having him and Healy as your two front contenders is nothing to scoff at. And if anyone gets injured, I'm sure Grant will be the frontrunner to be flown out.

Hooker is more difficult for the wrong reasons, as I still can't bring myself to agree with Best's absence. It's hard to say who's got their noses in front with Hibbard playing well for Wales, Youngs getting player of the year and even Hartley leading Saints to the final and showing he's a plausible option for the leadership he offers. On a bright note I think any of them would fit in effectively if the front row work well as a unit and manage to dominate their Aussie counterparts in the scrum.

Adam Jones is the firm favourite for tighthead almost entirely for scrummaging purposes. Installing Cole to help shore up the contact area and defence later in the game might be an option, plus I think he can cope in the scrum whoever the Wallabies put out imo. Still can't fathom what Stevens is doing there, Euan Murray or even Mike Ross make more sense.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by 100%beefy Mon May 13, 2013 3:50 am

think geth hibberd and jones will start ba ba game

100%beefy

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon May 13, 2013 9:31 am

Healy to be honest hasn't had a stellar season. He's not been bad but he has not been as prolific as in previous seasons. His claim to the jersey is not nailed on. He will go in with confidence but I won't be surprised if either Vunipola or Gethin play themselves in.

All 3 have their merits... but Vunipola and Gethin have a lot of going for them... Vunipola is as near to a bolter as the squad has. He will be surprised with his inclusion and I imagine he was go onto the tour full guns blazing.
Gethin has the experience, the leadership qualities.

Healy has it all to lose really.

Euan Murray was nailed on tighthead on the last tour. In the end props Vickery, Jones and Hayes got the No3 test caps. He didn't.

I'd say Vunipola will get the bench spot and then it will be a dogfight for the test spot Healy vs. Gethin. If Gethin performs well in the Baabaa's match (he will probably start given Healy will not be considered due to his Pro12 final 6 days before) he will gain momentum and Healy's tour will be a non-starter

The baabaas game will be the toughest match prior to the tests and anyone who does well will go a long way to staking their test credientials.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon May 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Some Welsh posters want the Lions to be the all Welsh. To the detriment of the Lions if necessary.

No it's just petty that you think that, I'm welsh and would I hell pick an all welsh team. I know we have weaknesses.
I would only go for an all welsh front row because we have been the best scrummaging team in the northern hemisphere for past few years because of Gethin and Adam. Our hookers have come and gone, but they have been consistent for the past decade in Wales' success.
Alyn wyn and sam are my other 2 for the pack and the other 3 then are irish (O'Brien, O'Connell, and Heaslip). Haven't' really decided on backs but they will not all be English trust me.
If it doesn't matter to you don't worry. No Welsh poster even said they want an all welsh 15. That's just your head making it up.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon May 13, 2013 4:46 pm

I'd say the front 15 will all be Welsh ..... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon May 13, 2013 4:50 pm

....that's all that will be left when Leicester, Northampton, Ulster and Leinster get at each other............

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon May 13, 2013 5:10 pm

So we could see

Jenkins Hibbard Jones
POC AWJ
Lydiate Faletau Warburton

Phillips Farrell

Maitland Roberts Davies Cuthbert

Halfpenny
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 am

Jhamer25 wrote:

No it's just petty that you think that, I'm welsh and would I hell pick an all welsh team. I know we have weaknesses.
I would only go for an all welsh front row because we have been the best scrummaging team in the northern hemisphere for past few years because of Gethin and Adam. Our hookers have come and gone, but they have been consistent for the past decade in Wales' success.
Alyn wyn and sam are my other 2 for the pack and the other 3 then are irish (O'Brien, O'Connell, and Heaslip). Haven't' really decided on backs but they will not all be English trust me.
If it doesn't matter to you don't worry. No Welsh poster even said they want an all welsh 15. That's just your head making it up.
Welcome to the forum newbie! Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Tue May 14, 2013 5:19 pm

Typical Adam Jones interview on the Beeb - talking about bonding: "I have always found beer is the best thing for these sort of things to be honest." I believe him! He comes across as such a good bloke.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue May 14, 2013 5:23 pm

BlueNote wrote:Typical Adam Jones interview on the Beeb - talking about bonding: "I have always found beer is the best thing for these sort of things to be honest." I believe him! He comes across as such a good bloke.

I know the headline writers have a bad rep but do you think its a worry that the one for this article suggests that a lot of the Welsh players need to be reminded that they should mix with players from other nationalities?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down