The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dublin Pubs

+11
pete (buachaill on eirne)
disneychilly
Mickado
Intotouch
SecretFly
red_stag
rodders
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Artful_Dodger
Jenifer McLadyboy
BristolDave
15 posters

Go down

Dublin Pubs Empty Dublin Pubs

Post by BristolDave Mon May 13, 2013 1:25 pm

Will be arriving on Saturday for the HEC final. Anyone recommend any good pubs for a drink or three before and after the match?

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Dublin Pubs Empty Re: Dublin Pubs

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon May 13, 2013 1:46 pm

There are so many it's not true.

Supporters village is in Merrion square. A lovely Georgian square on the town side of Lansdowne rd. Should be fun if any of the previous supporters villages are any example

It's a fair walk on a match day though. Be sure to note the entrance you are heading for beforehand as they will only let you in through one route (marked on ticket) and walking around the perimeter on a crowded day is time consuming.

Plenty of Pubs nearish to the ground. Again it depends on where you have to enter. Sandymount hotel is the nearest physically. If you are entering via Bath avenue there are 3 or 4 there. Slatterys, The Bath etc.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Mon May 13, 2013 2:36 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:There are so many it's not true.

Supporters village is in Merrion square. A lovely Georgian square on the town side of Lansdowne rd. Should be fun if any of the previous supporters villages are any example

It's a fair walk on a match day though. Be sure to note the entrance you are heading for beforehand as they will only let you in through one route (marked on ticket) and walking around the perimeter on a crowded day is time consuming.

Plenty of Pubs nearish to the ground. Again it depends on where you have to enter. Sandymount hotel is the nearest physically. If you are entering via Bath avenue there are 3 or 4 there. Slatterys, The Bath etc.

Thanks - Its been a while since I've been to Lansdowne Road. Any other posters going?

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon May 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Everytime I'm asked this I have the same answer.

Checkout the Porterhouse, best selection of beers you have ever seen. Its at Parliament Street in Temple Bar.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Mon May 13, 2013 2:45 pm

Artful_Dodger wrote:Everytime I'm asked this I have the same answer.

Checkout the Porterhouse, best selection of beers you have ever seen. Its at Parliament Street in Temple Bar.

Good shout I am staying at Jury's in TB

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon May 13, 2013 2:46 pm

BristolDave wrote:
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:There are so many it's not true.

Thanks - Its been a while since I've been to Lansdowne Road. Any other posters going?

Yep Smile

Other posters/ex-posters I know of who're going include: Aslongas, Hughie, Gibson,Rava, Rugby Dreamer, Mickado, Micky T, LilSwannyGirl, PenfroPete, PJHolybloke, Perthshire Puma, Mick TEFC
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 pm

BristolDave wrote:
Artful_Dodger wrote:Everytime I'm asked this I have the same answer.

Good shout I am staying at Jury's in TB

Do they till have that auld brainblaster thing? ...aw gees I've a while notion for a wee trip to Dublin all of a sudden .... censored
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Mon May 13, 2013 2:57 pm

BristolDave wrote:Will be arriving on Saturday for the HEC final. Anyone recommend any good pubs for a drink or three before and after the match?

Before the game I think your best off to be in the Ballsbridge area. Get yourself to the junction where Shelbourne Road and Pemboke Road meet. You've got a load of really good pubs that will be packed with rugby fans. Crowes, Bellamys, Horse Show House, Paddy Cullens and Mary Macs are five very good pubs all in this area just a stone throw from the stadium.

After the game I'd say it all depends where your hotel is. Tourists and large groups of lad along with stag/hen parties will tend to head in towards Temple Bar area of Dublin. Others will head down around Harcourt Street / Camden Street for a few pints before ending up in Copper Face Jacks night club (well renowned as the easiest place to get aquainted with a member of the opposite sex in Dublin). Others will head down into the city centre. Loads of choice as its Saturday night.

EDIT: Go boozing in Temple Bar for after the game. Didnt see thats where your based. Good craic and a stumble back to the hotel.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon May 13, 2013 2:59 pm

On one occasion that I was in the Porterhouse one of the guys with us who I didn't know that well went through 3 or 4 pints of those really strong stouts including brain blaster stuff in about 20 minutes. Never seen anything like it. I was on Trappist beers called Chimay which are a good 8% or 9% alcohol as well. Safe to say we got hammered very very quickly.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Mon May 13, 2013 3:01 pm

20 minutes might be an understatement actually, he was downing those brainblasters like he was drinking ribena.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Mon May 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Can definitely see a drinking thing developing here. Will be trying out a fair few as I arrive at 9.00am.

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon May 13, 2013 3:11 pm

There are no pubs in Dublin! Who put around the rumour that there is?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon May 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Are there any family friendly pubs suitable for new-borns? ....... Whistle
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon May 13, 2013 3:15 pm

They're up in the Catholic quarter.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon May 13, 2013 3:18 pm

Laugh Is that were you get the unwashed fruit too?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon May 13, 2013 3:31 pm

No bloody way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the Catholic zone??? Unwashed fruit?????????????? Do you want an international incident?!

Don't be inciting fruit cleaning divisiveness on this site Rodders or I'll have to call a mod.

Unwashed fruit area is Moore Street.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 am

Mary Macs, opposite the RDS. Great little pub, good food, free platters in the evenings.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed May 15, 2013 7:12 am

BrainBalsta is strong? Jeysus I've drank a few pints of that before and never realised. I didn't read it as Brain Blaster, Brain Blasta means "tasty drop" in Irish...

Personally I prefer to finish up the night in Camden street rather than TB but if that's where you're staying there are no shortage of hostelries to get scooped in.

Just steer clear of de north cide... Smile

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks Mick - I am sure we will be finishing in TB just because we are staying there but will visit anywhere that looks like a good time before (which must be most places if previous visits are anything to go by)

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 am

I'd wear three rubbers just going in the door of Coppers. There's another Porterhouse at the top of Grafton St (Molly Malone statue end)-the four beer taster isn't bad value. The Bull and Castle has a great range too but it's at the other end of Dame St. Will be on the lookout for you lot.

Aslongas, any developments?

Last edited by disneychilly on Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I'm not at liberty to say.)

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed May 15, 2013 11:05 am

You could do the Baggot mile.

That is from St. Stephen's green basically all the way down to the top of Lansdowne Road. You'd get in a loada good pubs and you'd casually make your way closer to the RDS/"Aviva" while becoming a little jollier along the way. Smile

Some very nice pubs up that direction too

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed May 15, 2013 11:15 am

Agreed Pete. I enjoyed Searsons when I've been in there. Plus when you cross the canal there's an excellent Argentine steak sandwich place. Haddington St I think.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am

Was aware of the pubs from St. Stephens Green to LR. (didn't realise it was called the baggot mile though.) At this rate I am not sure I will remember much about the match !! but thanks anyway

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Wed May 15, 2013 11:49 am

aaaah copperface jacks...good times thumbsup

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed May 15, 2013 12:29 pm

disneychilly wrote:Agreed Pete. I enjoyed Searsons when I've been in there. Plus when you cross the canal there's an excellent Argentine steak sandwich place. Haddington St I think.

Yeah also a really good burrito spot down near the bottom of Baggot street.
And Eddie Rockets, who could forget Eddie!? cake

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Wed May 15, 2013 12:46 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:
disneychilly wrote:Agreed Pete. I enjoyed Searsons when I've been in there. Plus when you cross the canal there's an excellent Argentine steak sandwich place. Haddington St I think.

Seem to recall going to ER years ago if its a 50s american diner sort of thing

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Wed May 15, 2013 12:59 pm

Against the Grain on Camden St is a great spot for some really excellent craft beers too and it being within 5 miles of the ground (it is the City Centre for those that are visiting, should you be worried) it will doubtless have some match goers/watchers too.

I'm a big fan of Doheny's on Baggot street too, one tip though, it will be jammers, so use the door beside the ATMs, rather than the main door as this will allow you to get inside and scope out space etc.

Will hopefully be at the Amlin final wearing my Munster jersey with a slightly split loyalty due to familial connections on the Stade side, but will be in full voice behind Leinster and if there is an organised (and by this i mean vague outline of a half arsed agreement) of 606v2 posters to share pints, I am up for the banter.

Last edited by debaters1 on Wed May 15, 2013 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed May 15, 2013 1:00 pm

disneychilly wrote:I'd wear three rubbers just going in the door of Coppers. There's another Porterhouse at the top of Grafton St (Molly Malone statue end)-the four beer taster isn't bad value. The Bull and Castle has a great range too but it's at the other end of Dame St. Will be on the lookout for you lot.

PM heading your way, dc OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Wed May 15, 2013 1:02 pm

BristolDave wrote:
pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Seem to recall going to ER years ago if its a 50s american diner sort of thing

Yep, that is across the road from Searsons. A couple of doors up from the pub though is a nice burritto bar and there are a few venues around the city of that nature, my favourite being Boo Jums. In fairness to our much maligned city though, we have plenty of eateries and bars in which to spend money and they cater for all budgets, and us local types are here for a steer in the right (or wrong Wink ) direction if anyone needs advice.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 pm

debaters1 wrote:Against the Grain on Camden St is a great spot for some really excellent craft beers too and it being within 5 miles of the ground (it is the City Centre for those that are visiting, should you be worried) it will doubtless have some match goers/watchers too.

I'm a big fan of Doheny's on Baggot street too, one tip though, it will be jammers, so use the door beside the ATMs, rather than the main door as this will allow you to get inside and scope out space etc.

Will hopefully be at the Amlin final wearing my Munster jersey with a slightly split loyalty due to familial connections on the Stade side, but will be in full voice behind Leinster and if there is an organised (and by this i mean vague outline of a half arsed agreement) of 606v2 posters to share pints, I am up for the banter.

Great wee spot!

See ya there Debaters. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Thu May 16, 2013 4:01 pm

disneychilly wrote:I'd wear three rubbers just going in the door of Coppers. There's another Porterhouse at the top of Grafton St (Molly Malone statue end)-the four beer taster isn't bad value. The Bull and Castle has a great range too but it's at the other end of Dame St. Will be on the lookout for you lot.

Cheers Disney - We will, more than likely, start at the Bull as we are in Jury's which I think is next door and make our way to the ground. Coming back it maybe one of the last to visit. One of the gang will possibly be wearing an old Bath shirt (it's not Hersh though)

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu May 16, 2013 4:03 pm

BristolDave wrote:

Cheers Disney - We will, more than likely, start at the Bull as we are in Jury's which I think is next door and make our way to the ground. Coming back it maybe one of the last to visit. One of the gang will possibly be wearing an old Bath shirt (it's not Hersh though)

If you see someone of err prop forward build wearing a Crusaders jersey it'll almost certainly be me.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Thu May 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Will keep an eye out Pete

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu May 16, 2013 4:35 pm

BristolDave wrote:Will keep an eye out Pete

And look out for pink European Chief shirt atop a kilt!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Jaysus. That'll be some sight. Make sure and wear something under your kilt. I hate staring at the unemployed....

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

Jaysus. That'll be some sight. Make sure and wear something under your kilt. I hate staring at the unDERemployed....

FIFY, Jen - no charge on this occasion Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu May 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Jenifer, make sure you've got chinos, deck shoes, a Leinster shirt with an old fashioned collar that you can pop up. I also expect sunglasses atop your well moussed hair.

I'll have my Munster liginds jersey, a flat cloth cap. Look for the bloke munching on a turnip.

thumbsup
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 pm

red_stag wrote:Jenifer, make sure you've got chinos, deck shoes, a Leinster shirt with an old fashioned collar that you can pop up. I also expect sunglasses atop your well moussed hair.

I'll have my Munster liginds jersey, a flat cloth cap. Look for the bloke munching on a turnip.

thumbsup

Where will you have parked your harse?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu May 16, 2013 6:22 pm

red_stag wrote:Jenifer, make sure you've got chinos, deck shoes, a Leinster shirt with an old fashioned collar that you can pop up. I also expect sunglasses atop your well moussed hair.

thumbsup

Make sure you wear your finest aftershave Stag Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu May 16, 2013 7:15 pm

When I finish snorting coke off these brazillian girls ar$es, I'm getting straight back in my Ferarri and I'm gonna kick yer heids in.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu May 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:When I finish snorting coke off these brazillian girls ar$es, I'm getting straight back in my Ferarri and I'm gonna kick yer heids in.

Feic the rest of them, Jen, I'm coming wi you

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Sat May 18, 2013 3:30 pm

Doheny's is a good laugh boys

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Mon May 20, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks for all the recommendations - Tried to make most of the list and managed a lot of them (although recollections are a bit hazy/vague) Highlights were definately Doheny's about 3pm and the crazy Clermont fans.

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound of Harrow Mon May 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Epic weekend. Met up with 606 pubbers in Searsons, Cassidys, The Punch Bowl (Booterstown) and Porterhouse Central.

Saw both games live and did the Croke Park tour on Sunday.

thumbsup

Hound of Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by BristolDave Tue May 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Hound of Harrow wrote:Epic weekend. Met up with 606 pubbers in Searsons, Cassidys, The Punch Bowl (Booterstown) and Porterhouse Central.

Saw both games live and did the Croke Park tour on Sunday.

thumbsup

I was warned away from Searsons by a friend who lives in Dublin who said her husband was on a stag do with about 30-40 others and were drinking there. Shame would have popped in otherwise.

Agree Hound it was a blast and a it appeared to be cheaper than when I last went so double thumbsup

BristolDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down