The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Possibly One To Look Out For ....

+8
alfie
SimonofSurrey
Fists of Fury
Corporalhumblebucket
JDizzle
MuchHappierSurreyFan
Shelsey93
guildfordbat
12 posters

Go down

Just Possibly One To Look Out For .... Empty Just Possibly One To Look Out For ....

Post by guildfordbat Wed 22 May 2013, 8:17 am

Young batsman Dominic Sibley is expected to make his first class debut for Surrey today against Oxford MCCU. Although only 17 and still at school, Sibley first appeared for the seconds a couple of years ago. He has stood head and shoulders above contemporaries in the Academy side since then. This resulted in a call up last winter for the England under 19s for whom he again made runs despite playing against opponents generally two years older.

I have only seen him the once. That was last year against Middlesex seconds. Batting number 3 (the same role he'll probably have against Oxford), he looked calm and unruffled although he didn't make much of a score that day. Certainly a tall and standoutish figure at well over 6 foot.

I know he's well thought of at the Oval as shown by him being given last year a contract for this summer whilst he continues his education. Not surprisingly, they're keen to develop his talent whilst trying to keep things fairly low key.

I'm too old and have already made too many goofs to be worried about getting egg on my face over this post. In any case, I recognise that there are many "what ifs" that might crop up for any teenage player. I do though think there is a serious chance that Sibley will properly kick on. Above else, I hope that I'm not jinxing a young career before it's started.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Just Possibly One To Look Out For .... Empty Re: Just Possibly One To Look Out For ....

Post by Shelsey93 Wed 22 May 2013, 8:24 am

I have heard a bit about him - in particular his exploits with England U19s. Good luck to him as sadly not all prodigies can make the grade - Billy Godleman, Alex Wakely and Sam Northeast are recent examples of those that have struggled.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Just Possibly One To Look Out For .... Empty Re: Just Possibly One To Look Out For ....

Post by MuchHappierSurreyFan Wed 22 May 2013, 6:32 pm

This is the kind of post to lift my spirits Guildford I will keep a watchful eye out this youngster

MuchHappierSurreyFan

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 22 May 2013, 7:46 pm

I kept up quite well with England U19's this winter due to someone I've played against making the team (same age as Sibley in fact, only 17 still) so I saw the name and the ton but didn't realise how well thought of he was in the Surrey ranks. Here's hoping he fulfills that potential, although it is getting to stage where people younger than me are going to get picked for the full England side which will be a sad, sad day indeed!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 23 May 2013, 10:43 pm

Sibley made a respectable and solid 22 today as Surrey struggled to assert themselves in the face of some accurate bowling and several interruptions for rain.

Strangely it appears this match will not be accorded first class status after all. Playfair and CricInfo had both stated it would be. I now understand only the first two matches played each season by a particular MCCU qualify as first class and that, as Oxford have already played a couple, this match won't. Apparently meant to be a compromise to ensure MCC funding is received by the Universities for playing first class games without significantly devaluing the quality of first class cricket through too many Uni matches!! All very odd and particularly tough on the debutants in this match who have yet to officially play first class cricket.

Shelsey / Mike / Informed Others - do you know if that's correct? Thanks.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 24 May 2013, 8:31 am

guildfordbat wrote:Sibley made a respectable and solid 22 today as Surrey struggled to assert themselves in the face of some accurate bowling and several interruptions for rain.

Strangely it appears this match will not be accorded first class status after all. Playfair and CricInfo had both stated it would be. I now understand only the first two matches played each season by a particular MCCU qualify as first class and that, as Oxford have already played a couple, this match won't. Apparently meant to be a compromise to ensure MCC funding is received by the Universities for playing first class games without significantly devaluing the quality of first class cricket through too many Uni matches!! All very odd and particularly tough on the debutants in this match who have yet to officially play first class cricket.

Shelsey / Mike / Informed Others - do you know if that's correct? Thanks.

I believe so. As you say it was a compromise. Should also be noted that Cardiff and Leeds/ Bradford don't play FC at all even though Leeds/ Bradford have consistently been the most competitive uni side so a bit of a joke really...

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 03 Jun 2013, 10:38 pm

Sibley may get more chances this season than we might have anticipated. Can't do worse than the Brain surely?

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 08 Jul 2013, 12:09 am

Sibley has been named in a 13 man squad for Surrey's CC match at home to Notts starting today (Monday). I'm not convinced he'll play but it's still a clear indication of the high regard in which he's held at the Oval.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 08 Jul 2013, 1:16 pm

As suspected, Sibley didn't make the starting eleven for Surrey's CC match today. I believe England play Pakistan here this summer at under 19 level and would expect Sibley, still only 17, to feature in that.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:39 pm

Sibley scored 138 for the Surrey academy side in a friendly against a touring side.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 19 Jul 2013, 11:38 pm

Sibley scored 95 as Surrey 2nd XI scored 301 to beat a declaration target set by Kent.clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 02 Aug 2013, 1:13 pm

Sibley named in Surrey's thirteen man squad for today's YB 40 match against Essex and almost certain to play.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 02 Aug 2013, 1:24 pm

Cracking stuff. Hopefully he gets a bit of a run in the YB40 side now. Wish him all the best.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 02 Aug 2013, 4:04 pm

Sibley retired hurt? Can't find out on cricinfo how it happened, anyone shed any light?

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 02 Aug 2013, 4:16 pm

JD - at the Oval and like everyone else here don't know. Sibley pulled up short and fell to the ground after a quick single. He didn't seem in great pain but could hardly move - all very odd. After the physio coming out for several minutes, Sibley was stretchered off and has been taken to hospital for a scan. A very disappointing ending for his YB 40 debut. Certainly won't see him again today.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 02 Aug 2013, 4:36 pm

Unfortunate. Hopefully it's not too serious and he'll be fit enough to get another go in the YB40, at least he can claim he opened the batting and wasn't dismissed on his debut!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 02 Aug 2013, 10:17 pm

Reportedly a badly gashed knee.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Fri 02 Aug 2013, 10:40 pm

A very bad gash. He posted a pic on Twitter. Unbelievable bad luck for it to happen on his debut - there must have been a peg left on the square or something.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 10 Sep 2013, 9:48 pm

Dominic Sibley has been named in Surrey's 14 man squad to play Somerset in the relegation Championship clash at Taunton starting tomorrow. According to the Surrey website, he will make his First Class debut in this match and open the batting.

He only returned to school and celebrated his eighteenth birthday last week. Just possibly one to look out for ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 10 Sep 2013, 9:50 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Dominic Sibley has been named in Surrey's 14 man squad to play Somerset in the relegation Championship clash at Taunton starting tomorrow. According to the Surrey website, he will make his First Class debut in this match and open the batting.

He only returned to school and celebrated his eighteenth birthday last week. Just possibly one to look out for ....
Wonder whether his parents will get fined for him bunking off school?!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 12 Sep 2013, 8:25 am

Out for 10 on debut.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:53 am

But better than Amla!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 12 Sep 2013, 9:55 am

In yesterday's match, I mean.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Sep 2013, 10:17 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Out for 10 on debut.
Yes, lbw to Meschede.

I've seen Sibley dismissed twice in seconds' games and on each occasion he was lbw not getting forward. Hopefully, something and nothing rather than a pattern.

Clearly the Surrey management don't see a major problem in his technique or mindset, preferring him in this crucial relegation match over Harinath, Wilson and Roy. Ok, I know they can get things wrong!!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Sep 2013, 11:03 am

guildfordbat wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Out for 10 on debut.
Yes, lbw to Meschede.

I've seen Sibley dismissed twice in seconds' games and on each occasion he was lbw not getting forward. Hopefully, something and nothing rather than a pattern.

Apologies if it seems I've put someone up, only so I can knock him down. Genuinely not my intention but possibly concerning how Sibley was out for a duck this morning to Warks' streetwise Barker - lbw on the crease according to the radio broadcast.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Sep 2013, 3:00 pm

Any doubts in my last post have been removed for a while.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Thu 26 Sep 2013, 9:02 pm

Most of the plaudits for his unbeaten double hundred today are in the match thread. But worth repeating that Sibley is youngest player ever to score a double hundred in the county championship.  clap clap  

Second youngest ever to score a first class double hundred in England, behind the Bearded One - WG Grace.  And who knows what tricks and skulduggery WG may have got up to in getting to his double ton?!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:09 pm

I was in London today and managed to make it to the Oval for the final session. So pleased I did. Saw Dominic Sibley at the age of 18 years and 21 days reach 200. The youngest player in the history of the English County Championship to do so. The 13th youngest player in the history of the world first class game to do so. All this after he had become Surrey's youngest ever century maker.

He was almost undoubtedly physically and mentally tired when I arrived which led to a couple of spurned chances. However, he continued to apply himself and generally exercise excellent judgment. Good balls on target were played back to the bowler, those a little outside off stump were safely left and bouncers were ignored with just a sway of the head away. Bad balls were despatched to the boundary and many ordinary ones were run away for countless singles. All this against a Yorks attack including Sidebottom, Patterson, Brooks and Rashid.

Whilst many cricketers now get ready to play overseas for the winter, Sibley returns to school on Monday for A levels next year.

Just possibly one to look out for ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:16 pm

"Just possibly" can be substituted with "definitely" I think...

An incredible achievement, justifying the hype here and elsewhere about this particular player. He will now have to carry this tag around, a burden which could become even heavier if Surrey bat on tomorrow.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Thu 26 Sep 2013, 10:34 pm

guildfordbat,

Your opening comment on this thread might just be the most brilliantly perceptive prediction ever on these threads.

Can I have this weekend's winning lottery numbers, please?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Fri 27 Sep 2013, 3:40 am

Saw the County scores this (Melbourne) morning and remembered this thread ...

Brilliant piece of talent spotting , guildford clap 

Presume the pitch was a bit of a road , but 200 is 200 and the young man has obviously got something ! Will watch his progress with interest.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:37 am

Thanks, chaps. Always a lot of luck with these things. Simon - sadly mine is now used up! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Sun 29 Sep 2013, 9:14 pm

Hi Guildfordbat... Just echoing the comments of other posters.....our talent spotter supremo....sorry I've not been able to post on here for a while....and now that I'm back on so to speak... The season is over

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 30 Sep 2013, 2:40 pm

guildford,
Trust your brilliant prognostication next spring will be about a young man from Hampshire instead of from Whitgift . . . . . .
Nice work!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by VTR Mon 30 Sep 2013, 3:42 pm

Very interested to see how Sibley goes from here - that performance really stands out. David Sales offers a cautionery tale for him, I think Sales demolished too many buffets to make the most of his talent so let's hope Sibley keeps working hard.

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 03 Oct 2013, 2:07 pm

VTR wrote:Very interested to see how Sibley goes from here - that performance really stands out. David Sales offers a cautionery tale for him, I think Sales demolished too many buffets to make the most of his talent so let's hope Sibley keeps working hard.
VTR makes a good point about the need to ''keep working hard'' although I don't think that'll be a major issue for Sibley. I make no claim to detailed inside knowledge but did have a brief chat with him during a seconds' game at Guildford a couple of months back. He struck me as level headed and committed to the game. It seems rather funny now to recall that he was fairly content with his form and remarked on having scored a few half centuries but - in just about his words - ''really needed to go on and make a big score''.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 03 Oct 2013, 9:55 pm

Named in England Under 19's World Cup squad for next year. Probably wasn't a tough decision!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 20 Nov 2019, 9:56 pm

Even more certain than Dominic Sibley's Test debut today was me bumping up this thread! Wink

Not always plain sailing for him over the last six and a half years but there most definitely was something about him at outset and pleasing to see him now reach the highest level.

Good luck to him anyway.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 21 Nov 2019, 1:28 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Even more certain than Dominic Sibley's Test debut today was me bumping up this thread! Wink

Not always plain sailing for him over the last six and a half years but there most definitely was something about him at outset and pleasing to see him now reach the highest level.

Good luck to him anyway.

I did it for Olly Stone, you get to do it for Sibley Smile
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down