The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting times ahead for tennis (Nadal, Djokovic sign up for Asian Tennis League)

+4
laverfan
bogbrush
invisiblecoolers
kingraf
8 posters

Go down

Interesting times ahead for tennis (Nadal, Djokovic sign up for Asian Tennis League) Empty Interesting times ahead for tennis (Nadal, Djokovic sign up for Asian Tennis League)

Post by kingraf Sat 25 May 2013, 5:54 pm

Just saw this on The Hindu, link wont work for some reason... But its not April Fools, so I wouldnt lie (dont check just believe me)

The tennis off-season will grow ever shorter in
December 2014, when the International Premier
Tennis League is set to begin operations with
headliners including Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray,
Rafael Nadal, Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka
and China’s Li Na, all on board for a quick-hit
holiday payday.
The concept of a competition lasting for several
weeks before Christmas will comprise an
unspecified number of teams in unnamed Asia
cities, according to league officials who presented
their project on the eve of the French Open.
Notable absentees include Roger Federer and
Maria Sharapova, who have already announced
plans for various exhibitions in South America
during the off-season.
The new Asian league has the backing of Nadal’s
management, with the Spaniard quick to sign on.
“It will be a big success for sure. I really look
forward to be playing for a team and especially in
Asia, such an important place in the world of
tennis,” Nadal said.
Organisers said the programme will be structured
around five one-set matches using no-add
scoring. The ultra-light workload on court will
comprise men and women’s singles, men’s
doubles, mixed doubles and men’s legends
singles.
Much like the American NFL, players will be drafted
by teams in an auction to be held in Melbourne
next January, with prices expected to reach into
the millions for the big names.
“It’s a great idea. As tennis is an individual sport, it
will be really exciting to see some of the best
tennis players in the world as part of a team,” said
Murray.
Among the legends expected to participate are
Pete Sampras and Spain’s Carlos Moya.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Interesting times ahead for tennis (Nadal, Djokovic sign up for Asian Tennis League) Empty Re: Interesting times ahead for tennis (Nadal, Djokovic sign up for Asian Tennis League)

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat 25 May 2013, 6:06 pm

Already IPL has become a joke now we really don't need another one of similar type.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Interesting times ahead for tennis (Nadal, Djokovic sign up for Asian Tennis League) Empty Re: Interesting times ahead for tennis (Nadal, Djokovic sign up for Asian Tennis League)

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 6:07 pm

What garbage.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 May 2013, 6:35 pm

Sounds like a hit and giggle with the added incentive of conning sponsors and ticket holders into generating millions. Agree with BB.

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 25 May 2013, 9:31 pm

Is this milking the game? Indeed. And any participating players who complain about the workload of a season that runs for nearly 11 months will struggle to convince tournament organisers or fans they are hard done by – especially with prizemoney of $5m on offer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2013/apr/02/andy-murray-international-tennis-premier-league

@iC... At least Cricket in South Asia has a large following, but Tennis? chin

Bhupathi must be dreaming of mega-billions close to his retirement. Laugh

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 9:39 pm

There's always a silver lining. At least we'll never have to listen to participating players whining about the workload of the season again, right?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 25 May 2013, 9:45 pm

LF- How dare you provide a link? My OP clearly says "dont check, just believe me"
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 25 May 2013, 9:48 pm

kingraf wrote:LF- How dare you provide a link? My OP clearly says "dont check, just believe me"

Apologies KR, I did not read that part well. rose Do you want me to remove the link?

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 25 May 2013, 9:52 pm

Sorry but I am presuming this IS an April Fools joke. LF's link offers a clue in that the Guardian report has people posting messages about the story dating from around April the 2nd (year I don't know). kingraf I think you and The Hindu have been fooled.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 25 May 2013, 9:57 pm

Its too late now. The magic is ruined. You took a peek behind the curtain, then you showed everyone else...

In all seriousness, you can see where the organisers are coming from, the size of Asia means that the concept doesnt need to even be that popular for it to be financially functional.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 25 May 2013, 9:59 pm

No it would be ridiculous quite frankly. A pointless format/tournament further cluttering up an already overly congested season.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 25 May 2013, 10:01 pm

Afraid not CC- I think this is for real

www.sportskeeda.com/2013/05/25/mahesh-bhupathi-launches-international-premier-tennis-league/

kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 25 May 2013, 10:08 pm

Well in that case it is all a pathetic waste. As a Murray fan I can only hope his participation is the bare minimum.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 10:44 pm

Just there for the money. Tsk Tsk.

Thankfully one top player retains the dignity to rise above such petty concerns.

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 25 May 2013, 10:55 pm

Because he is money hunting in South America...
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 25 May 2013, 10:57 pm

Hmm...Roger and dignity don't really go together in my eyes BB. As for the money side of things well I wouldn't say Federer has his own clothing range for fun would you?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 11:12 pm

kingraf wrote:Because he is money hunting in South America...
Popularising the true game, not this shabby imitation.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sat 25 May 2013, 11:13 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:Hmm...Roger and dignity don't really go together in my eyes BB. As for the money side of things well I wouldn't say Federer has his own clothing range for fun would you?
A clothing line doesn't drag the game into the depths of this abuse. I'm surprised you can't see the difference.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 25 May 2013, 11:20 pm

Depths of abuse? Sorry BB but please quit the over reactions please.

For the record I disagree with this tournie because I don't see any point to it or no real end product and it comes when there are too many tournies as it is. If money is the lure can players be blamed? Not really. Players earn money in whatever way they choose to and so does that make them monsters? No.

What it does mean is that any of these players cannot complain about too much tournies now (unless they cut back schedules elsewhere in the process).
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 25 May 2013, 11:24 pm

Exhubitions are never "the true game", hence the term exhibition. The "best of both surfaces" match between Roger and Rafa wasnt the true game, was it?

Not a huge fan of this, but I can see why the players would agree to this. one set work isnt that much for a few million, plus they would get to practise with world-class talent.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 26 May 2013, 12:14 am

CC - this type of garbage is the thin end of the wedge. Some idiots will start touting the format as more exciting.

kingraf - it showcases the true game. Unlike this other rubbish.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 26 May 2013, 12:19 am

I did say I wasn't in favour of this tournie. I doubt though that this type of format will be anything more than a flash in the pan.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 26 May 2013, 3:00 am

The trend in all sport is towards short & fast. I think something in the water has shortened intelligence and attention span. Or perhaps it's TV.

Everything is dumbed down now. I saw a re-run of the 1979 General Election coverage a while back. The level it was pitched at was miles above that done now. They assumed people watching were interested and intelligent.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 26 May 2013, 9:28 am

Yes I agree BB. I do feel though that this tournament will prove no more impacting on tennis than an exhibition-esque type thing.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Sun 26 May 2013, 11:12 am

Depressing isn't it? Everything I see tells me people are being infantilised. On morning TV every problem has the interviewer or 'expert' saying people need more 'support', as if they should all become dependent on the state for their decisions and their outcome.

I'm sick of it really, it's become dogma. Thankfully the real people I work with are far more capable (though I create an environment selective for intelligence and capability, so it may not be representative).
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 26 May 2013, 11:26 am

At the end of the day I just see it as another Boodles type of tennis event. Not worth getting your knickers in a knot about.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 26 May 2013, 1:33 pm

No different than World Team Tennis for my money
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 26 May 2013, 2:55 pm

Not a fan of this
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 26 May 2013, 3:55 pm

"Organisers said the programme will be structured
around five one-set matches"

Thank goodness!! Andy will quickly realise that as he rarely wakes up until the middle of set two, it's not for him Wink

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sun 26 May 2013, 4:01 pm

I can only begin to imagine the match fixing that may generate the real money.

But, its clear that as a platform its in fantasy land ATM.....

"No contracts have been signed, either with television companies, players, venues or governing bodies. While there is only an outside chance of the competition starting in 2013, it could begin the following year.

A source close to the negotiations said on Tuesday: "As far as I know nobody has committed to it yet, so there is still quite a way to go
."

So lets not drag any players into the quagmire of the "too many events" fracas, esp Murray as he's only been approached to comment on the idea so far.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun 26 May 2013, 4:05 pm

JubbaIsle wrote:So lets not drag any players into the quagmire of the "too many events" fracas, esp Murray as he's only been approached to comment on the idea so far.

And probably not been told it's one set Tennis. And probably wouldn't until he signed up Laugh

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Sun 26 May 2013, 4:12 pm

Small print so small, its not there.

I would be surprised if this happened, as a similar event was proposed in Oz last year and didnt happen through lack of interest eventually.

Money may not be the all encompassing draw as expected.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down