The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking of getting a Membership

4 posters

Go down

Thinking of getting a Membership Empty Thinking of getting a Membership

Post by cabcaz Sun 26 May 2013, 5:59 pm

Hi

Been a lurker here for a year. I am still new to golf but thinking of taking up a memberhsip with a club.

I just wanted to know what the key benefits are aside from saving costs.

Can members invite friends to their club? I only ask this as I have a few friends who live outside the UK and thinking of inviting them over for a round of golf

Thanks

cabcaz

Back to top Go down

Thinking of getting a Membership Empty Re: Thinking of getting a Membership

Post by barragan Sun 26 May 2013, 6:17 pm

Hi cabcaz
Welcome to the forum
Yes, most clubs offer discounted green fees to members guests.
Personally, the main benefits are social and competitive. It can sometimes be difficult to integrate yourself into a club if joining on your own. When joining my current club I set up an email list with guys I played in club matches against and in medals with. This has grown in 4 years to a group of 40+ guys which is great for arranging bounce games. I also run an order of merit in the summer based on club comp results, and a 4bbb league in the winter - last year we had 13 teams involved. It's a fair bit of work to keep these going but it's great to have such a thriving, inclusive, competitive and social group to be a part of - breaking the clique pattern you usually find thriving strongest at private clubs.
Keeping a handicap through joining a club is also a plus. Not only can you enter club comps, but there are great open comps at other clubs which you can play at seriously reduced cost - perhaps £10-20.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon 27 May 2013, 11:54 am

Similar points to barragan.

Benefits
1 - You can get a handicap.
2 - You can play medals and mark a card.
3 - You should get better.
4 - Social.

Downside
1 - You'll play most of your golf on one course.
2 - You need to play most weeks to get value.

Tips
1 - Try and join with a friend. Can be difficule to integrate.
2 - Chose a course you like.
3 - Check the course is not too busy at peak times.
4 - Check the tee time booking arrangements if the course is a busy one as pitching up on the day might be a problem.
5 - Check the draw policy for medals. If the pro makes a random draw then ideal as it's the best way to meet new members.

Best of luck. If you are serious about golf you must join a club.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by cabcaz Tue 28 May 2013, 8:34 am

barragan wrote:Hi cabcaz
Welcome to the forum
Yes, most clubs offer discounted green fees to members guests.
Personally, the main benefits are social and competitive. It can sometimes be difficult to integrate yourself into a club if joining on your own. When joining my current club I set up an email list with guys I played in club matches against and in medals with. This has grown in 4 years to a group of 40+ guys which is great for arranging bounce games. I also run an order of merit in the summer based on club comp results, and a 4bbb league in the winter - last year we had 13 teams involved. It's a fair bit of work to keep these going but it's great to have such a thriving, inclusive, competitive and social group to be a part of - breaking the clique pattern you usually find thriving strongest at private clubs.
Keeping a handicap through joining a club is also a plus. Not only can you enter club comps, but there are great open comps at other clubs which you can play at seriously reduced cost - perhaps £10-20.

Thanks for the post!

I can see the advantages of being a member especially from a social point of view, hence the reason why I would like to be a member. I heard that someone clubs have their little 'clicks' so new comers might find it hard to intergrate. I am not worried about this though I am a Sales Man by proffesion, so meeting people is easy. Very Happy

Do clubs have competitions with other clubs?

cabcaz

Back to top Go down

Post by cabcaz Tue 28 May 2013, 8:38 am

ScottieD18 wrote:Similar points to barragan.

Tips
1 - Try and join with a friend. Can be difficule to integrate.
2 - Chose a course you like.
3 - Check the course is not too busy at peak times.
4 - Check the tee time booking arrangements if the course is a busy one as pitching up on the day might be a problem.
5 - Check the draw policy for medals. If the pro makes a random draw then ideal as it's the best way to meet new members.

Best of luck. If you are serious about golf you must join a club.

Scottie,

Thanks for your post. How does one know how busy the club gets? Also I noticed most clubs dont list the number of members they have in their club? By the way I am thinking of getting a corporate Membership. It would be through my own LTD Company. Regarding perks, can members invite friends for a round, would they play for free or have a discount if green fees?

Many thanks

cabcaz

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 28 May 2013, 12:25 pm

cabcaz wrote:...Regarding perks, can members invite friends for a round, would they play for free or have a discount if green fees?

Many thanks

Most (all?) clubs I know of allow a member to sign in a guest (up to 3 at a time typically) with a reduced green fee. Never come across a situation where you can sign in guests for free golf.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 28 May 2013, 12:40 pm

though if its a corporate membership, i guess that's different. i know at our club, you get 'so many' 4 balls per year depending on the corporate membership type. more of a work/networking thing than an opportunity to invite your pals though! the cost is 'free' as its built into the package price of the corporate membership.

with a normal membership, i can invite as many guest on per year for about £18/round as i like - 3 guests per occasion i.e. a 4ball.

additionally, once per year i can invite up to 11 guests at the same rate i.e. three 4balls.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down