The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZRU negotiating to play a test in Japan in November

+6
blackcanelion
GloriousEmpire
Rugby Fan
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
disneychilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
10 posters

Go down

NZRU negotiating to play a test in Japan in November Empty NZRU negotiating to play a test in Japan in November

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 30 May 2013, 2:00 pm

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10887427

The NZRU are currently in negotiations to play a test vs Japan on the way over to Europe for the AIs. Steve Tew is pushing it as a game for a "development" XV, with senior players skipping it and heading straight to Europe. However, after opting out of an extra AI vs Wales this year citing player welfare, and being "unable to fit in" a test in Fiji* for the FRU's centenary it does feel a bit of a u-turn.

* Note, there are political considerations to playing in Fiji as it may well breach the NZ Govt's sanctions on Fiji following the last military coup there.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

NZRU negotiating to play a test in Japan in November Empty Re: NZRU negotiating to play a test in Japan in November

Post by disneychilly Thu 30 May 2013, 4:13 pm

Pete you make an excellent point about the political situation-hadn't taken that into consideration.

No doubt there'll be a fair few yen thrown NZ's way but I think why not? Give some new guys a test and get Japan more excited as it's their own team playing us instead of the Wallabies.

Jeepers if I wasn't planning on hitting South Africa in October I'd be well up for that. Convincing the missus might be hard though. She'd run up a fortune shopping while I was at the game Sad

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

NZRU negotiating to play a test in Japan in November Empty Re: NZRU negotiating to play a test in Japan in November

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 30 May 2013, 7:12 pm

Sorry lads, I think it would be pretty poor were NZ to agree to play a test against Japan when they were too busy to play Fiji in their centenary year, politics or no politics

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 30 May 2013, 7:37 pm

Japan are in Fiji on Saturday for a Test match.

If NZ didn't want to arrange one for political reasons, then perhaps that should have been made explicit. If there are no such considerations, then arranging another match at short notice seems to fly in the face of the reasons given not to travel to Fiji.

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Thu 30 May 2013, 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Thu 30 May 2013, 8:52 pm

I'd love to see them in the islands and think it's a disgrace that the top nations haven't been there-having said that since NZ were only playing three games there is the option on flexibility-plus the games don't need to be planned two years in advance like in the SH domestic season. Maybe another stumbling block could be that a lot of the Fijians play in France so they may not be released as it'd be out of a test window?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by GloriousEmpire Thu 30 May 2013, 9:33 pm

The reasons for NZ not touring the PIs are financial and not political or rugby related. The Island nations prefer to play in NZ because they get more money for doing so. Auckland is the largest polynesian city in the world = larger supporter base able to attend + those resident have more income to spend on going to the game + the stadiums are larger = more money. Simple!

GloriousEmpire

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 30 May 2013, 10:31 pm

GloriousEmpire wrote:..The Island nations prefer to play in NZ because they get more money for doing so...
True in general, but not in this instance. Fiji wanted to host the All Blacks.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 31 May 2013, 1:10 am

I think the truth (or a truth) is always more interesting. Before I ramble I think NZ should play in the Pacific. That said however Fiji is an interesting case.

In my opinion we have a duty to spread and support the game in the Pacific. If we complain about European trading of Pacific players, it's hollow if we aren't doing our bit. We don't play in the Islands.

In terms of Fiji. We have a long history. Their first international was against NZ back in 1913. From memory the first overseas tour by Fiji was to NZ in '51. Early tours did have an impact. I'm sure I've read reports that said that 1 of the top flankers and back's seen here in the 50's were Fijian (bearing in mind there were good Lions and Bok teams that toured that decade. They have played in NZ and we've had a number of Ethnic Fijians in the All Blacks (Bernie Frazer, Walter Little, Joeli Vidiri, Rocokocko and Sivivatu come to mind).

On the neutral position. There is the issue of timing. We know the request was made in August last year. Which pretty much means the only only opportunity is on the way to Europe in November. That's an opportunity. There is also the issue of money. It's neutral in my opinion because if there is ever an exception this is it and because international rugby should never be all about cash. That being said the Tokyo game is being played with one eye on the bank balance, a stop over on the way to Europe, and a relatively low impact game to develop players and teamwork.

On the negative side is the political situation. There is an issue with politics and sports. Of all the sports and all the countries NZ has contact with, the most difficult for NZ is a major rugby game in Fiji. NZ government has a strong stance on contact Fiji. Essentially visiting Fijian teams are banned from NZ. The exceptions are teams participating in major tournaments. This was only put in practice to ensure that NZ could hold important tournaments such as the qualifiers for world cup football, Wellington sevens and rugby world cup. It's been written into statute. It's probably safe to say it's more acceptable for an NZ side to tour Zimbabwe than it is to tour Fiji.

The reason being that the 2000 military coup in Fiji that overthrew the democratically ethnically mixed government with has been described as racist military totalitarian dictatorship (ironically overseen by the uncle of NZ educated, Australian qualified Fijian wing, Henry Speight). Given NZ's history the NZRFU needs to be careful. Support of the Springbok rugby had a destructive effect on NZ society and on wider support for rugby in the country. A classic AB's side is a safe option.

None of the above excuses the lack of historical games in the Pacific Island's. As an All Black supporter I find it embarrassing.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 31 May 2013, 2:55 am

I think the reason rhe ABs want to play in Japan is that it will be a bigger payday, potentially huge.
Ain't complicated.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Fri 31 May 2013, 12:17 pm

Agreed. $$ is a primary factor. The fact they can field an understrength side and it doesn't increase the burden on players are also factors. I stand by my comments about Fiji. The chances of the AB's going there are about the same as the AB's touring SA post cavaliers. If it ever happens, it won't be until after a regime change. I think it's the same for the Wallabies. Again that's not excusing our p*&* poor lack of away games in the Pacific.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 31 May 2013, 1:20 pm

blackcanelion wrote:...I stand by my comments about Fiji. The chances of the AB's going there are about the same as the AB's touring SA post cavaliers. If it ever happens, it won't be until after a regime change...

Are there any reasons why that could not have been explicitly stated instead of the excuse that the NZRU had not received sufficient notice?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 31 May 2013, 1:36 pm

Probably. Seems like NZRFU not wishing to embroil itself in any debate and have taken the easy option.

That said, I like this tour to Japan with a developmental squad idea. Can't remember what thread I was discussing this on but it seems like a very good idea to get some cash and give a taste of test rugby to fringe players and keep them more in the picture and give them less incentive to look for rugby opportunities outside NZ. Would much rather do that than play England and Wales every year to pay our way.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Tue 04 Jun 2013, 11:08 am

I've talked about NZ A travelling the world playing the developing teams as a way to grow the game and keep the second tier of players playing for NZ for some time. I can imagine NZ A team playing USA, Canada, Japan, China, Russia, Georgia, Fiji etc every few years (5/6 games in total a year) being really good for both countries - just got to get the $ right.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 05 Jun 2013, 8:06 pm

I don't think you can criticise New Zealand with regards to the Fiji situation. for decades the Kiwis have developed Islander rugby. Picked up the tab when they have toured, and sent A teams over there to tour.
Not to mention the amount of provincial scouts who have gone over there to give young players places at their academies.

New Zealand need to generate money like everyone else to compete for their own players. I think New Zealand demand £1 million for a country to host them. Fiji can;t afford it but maybe Japan could.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down