The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer at Wimbledon: the bogbrush effect

+12
CJB
CaledonianCraig
JubbaIsle
Henman Bill
The Special Juan
invisiblecoolers
_homogenised_
hawkeye
HM Murdock
Silver
barrystar
bogbrush
16 posters

Go down

Federer at Wimbledon: the bogbrush effect Empty Federer at Wimbledon: the bogbrush effect

Post by bogbrush Wed 05 Jun 2013, 2:44 pm

Many posters will be aware of my powerful effect on Federer at Wimbledon in the last few years. For newer posters I'll bring you up to speed, and to all offer some inside information on which you may feel motivated to skin the bookies.

I had last visited the hallowed Green & Purple back in the 80's to see Mac, Lendl & Jimmy. As a long standing admirer of TMF I decided to restart my trips to see with my own eyes what it was like. Progress in my business life meant I no longer needed to queue and race for the cheap seats, I could get the nice Debenture stuff and watch in comfort! Very Happy

1. In 2009 I gambled and got quarter-final tickets for Court No 1. As it happened, Fed was scheduled on Centre. I got to see 9 sets (Djokovic lost to Haas in 4, Hewitt to Roddick in 5) and Centre got two 3 setter (Fed over Karlovic, Murray over Ferrerro). I got the best tennis for sure, but no Fed. Smile

2. I again got quarter tickets in 2010, this time for Centre as Fed was defending champ. He lost to Berdych!!! Sad As it happens, I also went to the final that year (being royally entertained by a customer - that's the way to do it!). Nadal won in a completely rubbish final furious

3. In 2011 I went up to semi-final tickets and two days before I turned up Tsonga came back from 2 sets down to knock Federer out!!!!! mad

4. I'm not superstitious. Honestly. So I decided I was messing with Fed's Wimbledons and missed a year. He won the whole damn thing!!!!!! Shocked

5. It's 2013 and I don't have confidence and in any case I'm out of the country for week 2, so I got Day 1 Centre tickets in the hope I get to see TMF, not overly pressed, give me a 1st hand look at some nice glimpses of what they've been getting for a decade. Surely I couldn't jinx him, could I? Fingers Crossed

Last edited by bogbrush on Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Federer at Wimbledon: the bogbrush effect Empty Re: Federer at Wimbledon: the bogbrush effect

Post by barrystar Wed 05 Jun 2013, 2:51 pm

Shurely shome mistake about the winner in 2009 on your point No. 1?

Every recent trip I've had to Wimbledon I've seen the eventual winner:

a. I saw Fed beat Kohlschrieber 2009
b. I saw Nadal beat PHM 2010
c. I saw Fed beat Youhzny 2012

Here's hoping I might get to see Fed one more time, or maybe Murray this year.....
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Federer at Wimbledon: the bogbrush effect Empty Re: Federer at Wimbledon: the bogbrush effect

Post by Silver Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:05 pm

I can just imagine Fed feeling a ghostly chill down his spine as BB takes his seat on Day One...

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

barrystar wrote:Shurely shome mistake about the winner in 2009 on your point No. 1?

Every recent trip I've had to Wimbledon I've seen the eventual winner:

a. I saw Fed beat Kohlschrieber 2009
b. I saw Nadal beat PHM 2010
c. I saw Fed beat Youhzny 2012

Here's hoping I might get to see Fed one more time, or maybe Murray this year.....
Indeed! The final bit was a late addition to the article and I put it I the wrong year.

I may well offer you my Centre Court tickets provided you promise

a) to leave the grounds and not return after Federer (hopefully) wins
b) to not return for the remainder of the tournament
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

bogbrush wrote: I again got quarter tickets in 2010, this time for Centre as Fed was defending champ. He lost to Berdych!!! Sad As it happens, I also went to the final that year (being royally entertained by a customer - that's the way to do it!). Nadal won in a completely rubbish final furious
How do you pull off the trick of getting YOUR customers to entertain YOU?

Whatever your method, that's the way to do business!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

bogbrush.

I am like a lucky charm for Federer. I've seen him twice at Wimbledon. Once in the final in 2009 were I watched him get the trophy and last year in the round of 16 against Malisse were he went on to collect the trophy.

Sadly this year I don't have tickets but intend to get a ground pass on the first day. But I must warn you that last time I did this Federer had that tricky first round match against Falla. I think you'd agree that he could do with an easier first round match this year so I have a proposition. Why don't you give your center court tickets to me? Then I could do my lucky charm work again. You know it makes sense he would be bound to collect an eighth trophy. Don't worry the first day in the grounds can be quite fun so long as it doesn't rain...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:23 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
bogbrush wrote: I again got quarter tickets in 2010, this time for Centre as Fed was defending champ. He lost to Berdych!!! Sad As it happens, I also went to the final that year (being royally entertained by a customer - that's the way to do it!). Nadal won in a completely rubbish final furious
How do you pull off the trick of getting YOUR customers to entertain YOU?

Whatever your method, that's the way to do business!
Ah it was connected to charity; I donated at an event they sponsored so they hosted me to the final (lunch & drinkies in a hospitality tent, then off to the match, then back for finishing off. Complete prawn sandwich territory).

bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 05 Jun 2013, 3:24 pm

hawkeye wrote:bogbrush.

I am like a lucky charm for Federer. I've seen him twice at Wimbledon. Once in the final in 2009 were I watched him get the trophy and last year in the round of 16 against Malisse were he went on to collect the trophy.

Sadly this year I don't have tickets but intend to get a ground pass on the first day. But I must warn you that last time I did this Federer had that tricky first round match against Falla. I think you'd agree that he could do with an easier first round match this year so I have a proposition. Why don't you give your center court tickets to me? Then I could do my lucky charm work again. You know it makes sense he would be bound to collect an eighth trophy. Don't worry the first day in the grounds can be quite fun so long as it doesn't rain...
I would do so for sure but barry's already had them. Wink
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by _homogenised_ Wed 05 Jun 2013, 4:29 pm

I think Federer has a good chance of winning Wimbledon. Same sort of chance he had last year after everyone wrote him off. Can never write fed off on grass... For sure, SF is not out of his reach. Let's hope he gets a kind draw and avoids big hitters like tsonga if he gets to QF.

_homogenised_

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:52 pm

Ah BB, this year what ever you do he not gonna win the title Very Happy , I am sorry bro, the Legendary performance from Fed means we are expecting so much out of him, I hope Fed draws Rafa in the semis , so either a good win or a humiliation at Rafa's hands , either way it will wake up Federer to fight or call it a day.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 05 Jun 2013, 6:53 pm

Ouch, that sounds rough bb!! After hearing about your luck, he's going to draw someone who'll pull off a "Soderling" in the first round (or Fognini who will then withdraw due to injury). Enjoy it, I've never been to any live tennis event but hope to get down to Wimbledon in 2015.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:01 pm

If he loses remember Sampras lost to Bastl in 2002 before winning the US Open the same year.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:08 pm

I have got my ballot at my tennis club on Saturday. The way they do it is draw the names and whoever comes out gets first pick etc. Whoever is first will probably cheer and then come up and claim the final. I got a ticket 2 years ago and saw Berdych on court 1. However the number of tickets looks low this year, so not that hopeful.

I also went on the day a few years ago that Murray had late match under the roof against Warwinka I think, I saw Laura Robson and Raonic that day.

Apart from 2005 Wimbledon never bother to respond to my applications, year after year never so much as an acknowledgement of receipt.

Have never seen Federer or other current top players at Wimbledon but have seem all the current top players at other tournaments. I've been lucky enough to be able to see semi finals and finals at Indian Wells, French Open and World Tour Finals.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by JubbaIsle Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:41 pm

If he does lose BB, you're epitaph will read...

Here I lie, broken hearted,
Roger Federer would have lasted,
If I hadn't watched his game,
Sitting in the seats of shame,
Should've blinked and then departed.

JubbaIsle

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:58 pm

I cannot say how you are feeling bogbrush. You have been most vocal on here for about a year or more than Roger is past his best and I don't think anyone can argue with that. I firmly believe his slam winning days are over and if you have accepted that as well then you can sit back and relax and enjoy your man's swansong (so to speak).

Whatever the outcome at Wimbledon, be it a First Round exit, or a Final defeat or Final win it changes nothing. Roger will hang up his racket regarded as the greatest of all-time so it is not like he has not had anything less than a remarkable career. I say you should jut sit back and enjoy watching him play possibly for the last time at Wimbledon BB.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:03 pm

Cheers Craig! We're all mortal and to use one of the most overused quotes ever, as Boris said "Nobody died. I only lost a tennis match, nothing more."
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:05 pm

Exactly. Hell if Andy retires with quarter of what Roger has achieved I'd be over the moon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CJB Wed 05 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm

Been in the years through the queue, mainly because of school and prices. Managed to see the latest ever match on centre ever last year Smile

CJB

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:22 am

I think I'm going to avoid even turning on the TV to see TMF's opening match such is my jinxing power of late!

I do envy you though bb - have seen TMF at the O2 for a couple of years, but would love to see him on CC just the once. I remember watching McEnroe in the early nineties, and although his purple patch was some way behind him, it was still fantastic to see a former champion strut his stuff on the hallowed turf!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Thu 06 Jun 2013, 2:42 am

I remember the Friday of Wimbledon 2009 well, I jumped in my car and went for a drive that day for almost the entire length of the A82.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:23 am

Not been to SW19 for a while now (it's quite a drive).
I'm just hoping that likewise to BB my attendance at O2-WTF this year doesn't affect Feds qualification, or progress to the semis which I have tickets for. Really want my son to say he was able to see arguably the best player of the Open Era play live. If its Fed vs Nadal there'll be no complaints!
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:10 am

lydian wrote:If its Fed vs Nadal there'll be no complaints!

Ah tat would be a treat. wish you luck for such an outing.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:17 am

Cheers IC OK
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Fri 07 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

BB,

I think I am responsible for jinxing the great man.

2008, Got tickets for Day 1 CC, he lost that year!

2009, Got tickets for day 2, CC, hoping to see him as he was in the bottom half of the draw. Nadal pulls out, Fed plays day one and he wins!

2010, Got day 1 CC, watched a fantastic match he played vs Falla, he loses in the QFs.

2011, again day 1 CC, had a brilliant line up, got to see 4 slams champions that day, Fed, Novak, Serena, Maria but Fed loses to JWT

2012, again CC day one, in the hope Fed is on CC, but he is on court one! He wins! Only thing that blows my theory out of the water is that I did watch the final set vs Djoko in the semis and was lucky to get tickets to the final and he still won.

This year I am hoping to be on CC, day 1
ghost

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down