The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Goodbye Columbus, All the Way To (From) Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

+10
princedracula
John Cregan
Snap Hook
super_realist
SmithersJones
Shotrock
McLaren
sirbenson
GPB
kwinigolfer
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Goodbye Columbus, All the Way To (From) Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Goodbye Columbus, All the Way To (From) Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 5 Jun - 16:42

1).From the vision of the delightful Ali McGraw's assets (hardly surprising she won a pair of Golden Globes) to the melifluous sounds of Mott The Hoople, the Tour also goes from the sublime to the (sometimes) ridiculous as we travel 600 miles south-west from Columbus, Ohio, to Memphis, Tennessee. From one of the very best fields a Tour event has to offer, to one of the poorest.

2).Blame the respective dates, blame the inevitable steaminess of Memphis in June, blame the respective courses, but FedEx must be very disappointed with this week's turnout, especially given the largesse that FedEx bestows on the top Tour pros.

3).But back to Columbus and last week's Memorial Tournament. The US Media has been hailing Matt Kuchar as a favourite for Merion, the latest "best player without a Major", etc, etc.
Say what you like about smiling (inanely grinning?) Kooch but he's certainly consistent and scored not just his 6th Tour win, but his 35th Top Ten since 2010, four more than Luke Donald and ten more than 3rd place Snedeker and Watney. Consistent and rich, with over $17M banked in that time, just from Official prize winnings!

4).Just about to turn 35, Kuchar has been playing Majors since 1998, yet only racked up 5 Top Ten finishes and I'm struggling to see him win at Merion. In fact, who DOES look good for Merion?
Woods? With his Muirfield Village fiasco fresh in his mind (certainly in our minds).
McIlroy? Who similarly floundered at Jack's Place.
Snedeker? Who I thought looked nailed on to go well when he was enjoying his purple patch early in the season, but now alternates between one decent tournament and one horror show.
Westwood? Who's gone from being a Top Ten machine to that collapse at Wentworth and a miserable missed cut in Columbus.
Stricker? Should be well suited, and hopefully won't be giving Tiger any putting tips.
Donald? Conventional wisdom says Merion will suit him, but "conventional wisdom" doesn't have him ranked 159th on Tour in greens in regulation.
Rose? Every time he got close enough to challenge Kuchar last week, St.Justin missed a short putt. #1 in the "Total Driving" stat this year but an abysmal 156th in the "Strokes gained putting" stat.

I just dunno.

5).Only eleven tournaments remain for most of the Tour players, and they will only get to enjoy the FedEx Play-Offs (and retain their Top 125 exemption) if they reach about 350 points. Among big names well adrift of that mark - and their 2013/2014 "Card" - are:
Camilo Villegas: 252 points
Peter Hanson: 251
Woodland: 243
Harrington: 220
Colsaerts: 218
Immelman: 200
Ross Fisher: 200
Karlsson: 182
Ishikawa: 179
O'Hair: 179
Appleby: 145
Romero: 96

You know that some of these won't make it.

6).And when will PGA Tournaments start to shower sponsor invites on Peter Uilein and Brooks Koepka who have wrapped up their 2014 European Tour cards? Some double-dipping in their future perhaps?? Which would be O'Grady's gain, for once.

7).There are one or two stars in Memphis this week, at the "FedEx St.Jude Classic": last year's champ Dustin Johnson, local boy Snedeker, Mickelson, and some "International" players including Tim Clark, Coetzee, Brian Davis (2nd here a few years ago, T8 at the Memorial), Fisher, Hanson, Harrington, Freddie Jac (good record here), Immelman, and Poulter who surely needs a pay cheque just to fuel his Ferraris.

8).But this tournament seems to favour southern boys or Texans, Dustin last year, Toms with two wins and two runners up, Leonard with two wins, etc, etc. Boo Weekley plays his first event since his win at Colonial and he'd fit the profile.
And perhaps the USGA, with its quirky sense of humour in allocating groups for Rounds 1 and 2, can group Luke Donald, Kuchar and Weekley for Thursday week?

9).The Champions Tour stages its second "Major" in three weeks, in Birmingham, at Shoal Creek. Roger Chapman is announced as being among the starters, which is curious as his withdrawal due to injury from the US Open has been reported, with his place at Merion being taken by alternate Scott Stallings.

10).And the best news of the week - of the year?
From Jarrod Lyle, who has reported: "Got results from my 12-month tests and there is NO sign of leukemia. Been a tough road but things are looking up. Couldn't be happier!!"
Good luck, Jarrod, to the Tour's funniest fellow. Hope to see you back at work soon.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Goodbye Columbus, All the Way To (From) Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Goodbye Columbus, All the Way To (From) Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Wed 5 Jun - 18:26

Memphis is the closest tournament to my home, and I might go down this weekend, depending on who is in contention.

The weather is not going to be bad this year. Temperatures should not climb into the 90's (deg F). The high temperature on Friday is forecasted at 78 deg. And the oppressive humidity got cleared out last weekend and has not returned.

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Goodbye Columbus, All the Way To (From) Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Goodbye Columbus, All the Way To (From) Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Wed 5 Jun - 19:08

Go Harrington!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 5 Jun - 20:45

The TPC Southwind has a reputation as a ball-striker's course - perhaps that will ignite some form for Padraig. He certainly could use some. Harrington has a safety net for next year, a one-off exemption he could utilise for being among the Top 50 career money winners, but he's way too young to use that!

GPB,
Hope you make it; looks from here as if there are storms to dodge tonight and then pretty pleasant thru the weekend. Enjoy it!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 5 Jun - 22:54

LUUUUUUUUUKE, KUUUUUUUCHar, and BOOOOOOO would make a great USGA pairing.

Tee times are usually announced Friday, can we think of some other potential USGA pairings?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 5 Jun - 22:55

Yes, Kwini time for Harrington to find some form again!!!

Looking forward to the US Open next week, and finally getting to see Merion....seems to be quite the popular choice. Good to hear that the rough is dense.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Wed 5 Jun - 22:56

GPB wrote:LUUUUUUUUUKE, KUUUUUUUCHar, and BOOOOOOO would make a great USGA pairing.

Tee times are usually announced Friday, can we think of some other potential USGA pairings?

Looked at the US Open site and it said pairings to be announce on the 7th so yeah, it should be tomorrow.....the top 3 maybe......or dare they put Garcia/Woods in the same group and maybe add in Vijay.

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 6 Jun - 5:39

Have you read this kwini?

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/us-open/2013-06/us-open-david-fay?currentPage=1

what do you make of it?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 6 Jun - 5:44

PS

Do you remember the "Massacre at Winged Foot in 1974"?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 6 Jun - 11:53

Hi Mac,
1).Have I read the Golf Digest piece? Yes, I think I referred to it a few weeks ago - very interesting and insightful but don't think I take anything else from it. Not a big fan of the USGA anyway, even less of a fan with them taking the US Open to untested courses like Erin Hills and Chambers Bay - but love them using Merion.
Lots of good stuff in the Press here about Merion, its logistical problems as well as the golfing challenges. Looking forward to it.

2).I followed Golf in the early 70's from the strategic vantage point of Whyteleafe CC but you seldom read anything in the GB press about nuances of courses - remember, there would have been very few European golfers at Winged Foot, for instance, even fewer GB&I.
I've read a lot about it subsequently and went to Winged Foot in 1984 when I thought it was a very fair challenge.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 6 Jun - 13:37

Thanks for the link Mac. Nice article.

Merion is in an already congested suburb - it's amazing to see the infrastructure challenges they've already overcome.

We're in for a dump of rain over the next 24 hours. Were this a week later it could be a real challenge since some of the holes on the east course are known to flood a bit. I'm told they already have holes on the West Course at the ready if this happens during the tournament.

Love Rory's comments ... "lots of birdie opportunities out there" is what he chirped. When that's the first thing one thinks of you can't help but consider him for yet another National Open championship.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 6 Jun - 14:54

Nightmare start from Poulter!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 6 Jun - 16:38

Ref: Note 6). Above.

From "Global Golf":
http://digitalmag.globalgolfpost.com/20130603/20130603EURO#&pageSet=10&page=0

Interesting article from Lewine Mair about Uihlein; it looks as if O'Grady might have lucked out and will have Uihlein for at least part of 2014. Let's hope so.

No-one running away from the Memphis field, Poulter has recovered from his shocking start and only 2 shots off second place. Harrington one shot better and in the Top Ten, which is what he must be hoping for this week.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 6 Jun - 17:03

Great comeback from Poulter.....poor 3 putt from Harrington on 4(his 13th)

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 6 Jun - 17:36

More birdies for Poults and Robbie Karlsson . . . . . . both only one shot off the lead right now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 6 Jun - 19:34

Good news ON the course:
With the European players in the Memphis "morning wave" finishing at level par (Jacobson) or better (Harrington, Davis, Karlsson and Poults, all at -1). All well placed with Nathan Green holding the early lead at -4.

Bad news OFF the course:
Peter Kostis, CBS on-course reporter and respected coach (of Paul Casey and Chez Reavie among others) is out indefinitely while undergoing treatment for colon cancer. Kostis is in a class of two (with Roger Maltbie) for his insight and articulate, forthright reporting and will be much missed. Matt Gogel was on the job at Memorial, but he's no Kostis - no-one is.
Good health Peter, come back to my telly soon.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 6 Jun - 21:53

Thanks for the Luke List tip, Kwini! picard
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 6 Jun - 22:18

Smithers,
I DID say "idle speculation"! picard picard
I saw he was digging himself a hole, but he just kept shovelling!
The Tour has been trying to make a fuss about Luke List (a very silly name) all season; but, if he can't do it here, can he do it anywhere?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 6 Jun - 22:47

And that's all I did; it seemed like a good idea if only based on his swing in the Callaway ad.

Trying to spot a decent hedge to get my fiver back, but nobody's screaming at me. Gone for Karlsson
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 11:18

A case of All Our Yesterdays in Memphis in Round 1, with Davis Love, Glen Day, Nathan Green and Appleby all tied for the lead with up-and-comers English and Flores.

But good news for all the Europeans is that Peter Hanson is just one stroke back with Davis, Harrington, Karlsson, Owen and Poulter three shots off the lead in T27, at -1.

Only Norlander (+2) and Christian (+3) are way off the pace to make the cut, which will be about even par.

Should be decent enough weather for Memphis thru the weekend, just a chance of a storm, but Philadelphia is in for a real soaker, with a tropical storm bearing down which could swamp the US Open course and by Saturday have Made Merion a flood zone. Good early week forecast though, but the USGA will want Merion has hard and fast as they can make it.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 7 Jun - 13:21

Lots-o-rain here in Philly land. Wonder if Merion is considering tarps over the greens?

Rumor at the club last night that Webbo shot a cool 28 on the front 9 earlier this week. I'm guessing friendly pin placements, but still ... Shocked

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 13:36

Sr,
Reading all the reports about the Merion site, and it's propensity for streams and brooks overflowing on to greens, isn't it just a tad surprising there's been no real effort to mitigate nature's course?
Wonder if they've Sub-Aired the greens at greatest risk?

Isn't the key going to be how the boys play the last five holes? Not sure that Simpson would be on my short-list, but 28 is pretty sporty! Perhaps he'll join Colt Knost in presenting his (long) putter to the USGA Museum?

CNY tomorrow for a flying visit . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 7 Jun - 13:40

Last 5 holes could be brutal indeed. Last two most notably.

Have fun in CNY. Wish I was going!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 13:46

Have you been assigned your specific marshalling duties yet, Sr?
If Tiger is grouped with Sergio, will you be telling him it's OK to draw a club when Garcia is hitting?? We'll be watching!!!!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 7 Jun - 13:56

I will be working on Hole #1 as a Marshal. In our training session we were told to not engage in discussion with any of the professionals ... they told a story where one of the professionals asked if they found his ball, the Marshal said "yes, but you're not going to like it" and the pro blew a fuse.

We rotate around the hole, changing locations every 15 minutes, which is nice. Also, 1 is a crossover to the 14th tee box so we'll see plenty of activity there as well.

I've already scoped out some breakfast joints for Tiger and some Chicken and Waffle shops for Sergio. I'm sure they'll appreciate my suggestions!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 15:44

Would think Webbo will be grouped with Steven Fox and Ernie Els next week.

Sounds as if they're going to go with 1,2,3: Woods, Rors, Scott. Hope not. But would be another Steve Williams reunion.

An English man leading in Memphis - just not the one I would have hoped.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 7 Jun - 15:49

Be nice to have a Sergio/Scott/Nine Chins threeball.

I'd actually watch American golf for once.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 16:27

You got two out of three s_r,
Woods, McIlroy and Scott.
I wish they wouldn't do that, it almost seems adversarial, certainly unnecessary.

Don't think Scott is still going out with Ivanovic, but they coould have had two tennis lasses plus a ski-bum following along together.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 7 Jun - 16:31

Tee Times should be announced shortly. It would surprise if they with OWGR rankings this week. I would think that they would want to "spread" the stars out because of the lack of space at Merion.

T.S. Andrea should dump some rain on Merion today and tomorrow. Hopefully that will be the last rain Philadelphia has until June 18th.

If it rains during the tournament, Merion could turn into a mess and the pros might light up the leaderboard.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 16:43

GPB,
1.14 p.m. & 7.44 a.m., it's a done deal.

Watch this space for on-the-spot Philly precip updates from Shotrock . . . . !
Andrea should be gone by tomorrow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 7 Jun - 17:11

Really cannot wait for this to start. Players will be teeing off on #1 and #11.

I've been fortunate enough to play Merion many times and, while they have flattened the greens on #12 and #15 (to get more pin placements),#5 is the hardest green I have ever played. An eyewitness reported that this past week Rory spent some time chipping up to #5 and was seen shaking his head.

The rough is crazy wiry and deep. With the new narrow fairways, expect plenty of hack-outs or chunk and runs and Johnny Miller is so fond of saying. Merion is also known for its "White Faces", cavernous bunkers with soft sand so expect a lot of friend eggs.

Putting and chipping prowess a must for the winner. So why not Tiger, GMAC, Lukey, Stricker ... or whoever. But almost certainly not the inexperienced to the boiler room pressure of a major. THAT will be magnified by so many patrons staring you down from all the grandstands on holes #14 on. First timers may not comprehend how challenging this will be. Even for the weekend warriors, the first tee shot is VERY intimidating since they clank the glasses to stop those eating on the Veranda which is immediately adjacent to the first tee.

It's been sold out for months ... but the best seat will probably be in front of your TV. Or, inside the ropes, Smile

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 17:18

Some other threesomes:
Former #1's; Donald, Kaymer, Westwood
Kuchar, Rose, Snedeker
McDowell, Furyk, Zach J
Mickelson and his chum Bradley, plus Stricker
Sergio, Cink, St.Padraig (playing the final US Open of his current exemption - will he be back?) Would have thought pairing Garcia and Harrington is at least as incendiary as any pairing of Woods and Garcia would be. Just not quite so current.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 7 Jun - 17:35; edited 2 times in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 7 Jun - 17:24

Shotrock

What can you tell me about the 10th tee? from this aerial, it doesn't look that there is an actual tee.

http://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/merione/aerial.htm

click on the 10th hole.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 7 Jun - 17:31

A tree shrouded, elevated but very small tee box complex. If they went even 10 yards further back, they would be in someone's yard. A drivable 4 par with a slick, deep but narrow green. Here's an excellent look at all the holes ... (before the narrowing of the fairways ...)

http://www.myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/MerionEast/index10.html

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 7 Jun - 17:50

Thanks SR,

Happy that folks at Merion call the creek at #11, the "Baffling Brook".

The pictures are have been taken in early spring. Grass is green and trees are leafless.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 20:25

No doubt all have picked up the tee times for Merion by now but, if not, here goes:

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/us-open-first-second-round-groupings-2013/

I like the Dustin Johnson, Colsaerts, Bubba three some myself, though not sure it's a great idea having big bombers opening the batting one day, who might like to have a go at short (and at Merion relatively not-so-short par 4's), is such a great idea. Should be entertaining however.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 20:29

Meanwhile, tough day at the office for Ross Fisher who really can't seem to get anything going - idle next week of course, then I see he's among the early declarations for Germany in a fortnight.

And Greg Owen went from the relative penthouse straight to the outhouse in three holes as he capitulated losing four strokes in his final three holes and he'll have a couple of weeks off.
Norlander's good run finished while Gary Christian looks headed back to web.com land.

Hanson makes the cut as does Russell Knox - he's been playing well . . . . . !

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 21:16

The English Man might be leading in Memphis, but no-one's playing better than Englishman Poulter, -9 for his last 24 holes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 7 Jun - 21:22

Really happy with the fact Harrington is playing with Garcia next week....maybe it will make him play better and motivate him?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 7 Jun - 21:25

At least he's playing with someone he knows he can beat . . . . . . Rolling Eyes

Another birdie for Poults, and another good look also.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 7 Jun - 22:08

No clue why they went with 9 minute increments this week in the first two days. TPC Southwind is a pretty big golf course and the 9 minute increments is just asking for bottlenecks. Notice that the players are waiting on most tees.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Fri 7 Jun - 23:43

Kwini when you said the field was weak, a bit of an understatement! crikey the current leaderboard might be from my local clubs monthly medal - who are these people. DL3 and Karlson the only people I know in the top 10!

No wonder everybody is talking about next week - make em suffer I say, well for one week only. Just glad it is on the east coast this year, as last year couldn't stay awake till the finish as leaders didn't tee off until 10pm.

Still no clue who to bet on - Adam Scott 2 in 2 possibly.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 8 Jun - 2:22

Stephanie Wei ‏@StephanieWei
Just heard Merion is flooded, as in the police rescuing cars on Ardmore Ave. Yay, US Open golf!!!
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 8 Jun - 3:44

SnapHook,

How many players do you recognize from the top 10 in Austria?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 8 Jun - 11:16

Big difference in the type of field you can expect when the prize fund is $5.7M though, GPB, compared to, what, $1.25M?
Would still expect a lot of the cream to rise to the top in Memphis, as well as RedWine in Vienna.

GPB: Are you going to Southwind today? Some good pairings, Mickelson with Chuckie Howell - who needs a top finish to reach Merion. I like Karlsson and Coetzee. Poulter playing with Weekley for the third day running, then they're together again next Thursday and Friday!

I watched the Seniors last night and Shoal Creek still looks a super golfcourse.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 8 Jun - 11:46

kwinigolfer wrote:

GPB: Are you going to Southwind today? Some good pairings, Mickelson with Chuckie Howell - who needs a top finish to reach Merion. I like Karlsson and Coetzee. Poulter playing with Weekley for the third day running, then they're together again next Thursday and Friday!

Pairings out for next week already??

Is there a top 60 World Ranking qual after this week??

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 8 Jun - 11:51

'Morning John,
Merion tee-times posted about eight messages above, timed Friday 8.25 p.m.

Yup, Top 60 Qualifier following this week's tournaments. Follow princedracula's OWGR thread.
We're watching Weisberger, Guthrie and Howell, among others!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by John Cregan Sat 8 Jun - 13:27

kwinigolfer wrote:'Morning John,
Merion tee-times posted about eight messages above, timed Friday 8.25 p.m.

Yup, Top 60 Qualifier following this week's tournaments. Follow princedracula's OWGR thread.
We're watching Weisberger, Guthrie and Howell, among others!

Apologies for my laziness!!

John Cregan

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 8 Jun - 13:50

No, not going down there this week although the weather looks like it should take me down there. It doesn't get any better in June than it is this weekend. I got the windows open right now, and that doesn't happen in June, July, August and early Sept.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Sat 8 Jun - 13:57

GPB wrote:SnapHook,

How many players do you recognize from the top 10 in Austria?

As of 1.55pm Saturday uk time. Bjorn, otto, Luiten, little, Sullivan and the legend himself. RedWine I did say it a little tongue in cheek and no disrespect to these guys, but clearly not the leader board particularly in the us, tv and sponsors were hoping for.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next